IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:08 PM   #481
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Here's an easier to read version.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...751762945.html
It comes down to the external drive was used to recover to. There was nothing wrong with the internal drive. It was probably easily removed from the laptop and recovered onto the external drive. I'm pleased to learn where this idea came from, but I don't understand why it is exciting anybody. Doesn't it agree with what has been claimed by the repair shop guy?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:10 PM   #482
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

The other side:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ocid=Peregrine
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:17 PM   #483
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The first has already been discussed in the thread (and apologies if the other two have and I missed them), namely that the metadata of the "smocking gun" email dates it to October 2019, while the laptop itself was allegedly dropped off in April 2019.
I hadn't heard this. The best I have been able to find is that the pdf uploaded by the NYP was dated then. The emails I've seen are just screenshots with dates prior to the laptop being dropped off.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:20 PM   #484
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
It comes down to the external drive was used to recover to. There was nothing wrong with the internal drive. It was probably easily removed from the laptop and recovered onto the external drive. I'm pleased to learn where this idea came from, but I don't understand why it is exciting anybody. Doesn't it agree with what has been claimed by the repair shop guy?
Not only that, but when challenged in the actual thread, he admits things like he can't be certain what he is saying is correct. Example the 3 year warranty, it may be a 5 year warranty. He was proven wrong on the laptop and whether the hard drive was removable. Etc.

What the doubters of the story are to have you believe, Hunter didn't drop off the laptop, and the repair guy was willing to take hacked materials and fabricate how he obtained them and then lied to the FBI. I find that harder to believe than a meth addict just dropped off a laptop and never picked it up.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:22 PM   #485
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I hadn't heard this. The best I have been able to find is that the pdf uploaded by the NYP was dated then. The emails I've seen are just screenshots with dates prior to the laptop being dropped off.

Exactly, the metadata is from the PDF that was created, not the email. LOL
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:23 PM   #486
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
LOVE IT! They're now trying to shame the Libs.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:23 PM   #487
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Not only that, but when challenged in the actual thread, he admits things like he can't be certain what he is saying is correct. Example the 3 year warranty, it may be a 5 year warranty. He was proven wrong on the laptop and whether the hard drive was removable. Etc.

What the doubters of the story are to have you believe, Hunter didn't drop off the laptop, and the repair guy was willing to take hacked materials and fabricate how he obtained them and then lied to the FBI. I find that harder to believe than a meth addict just dropped off a laptop and never picked it up.
The positive side is that if this nobody used forged material to try and take down Joe Biden, the FBI have had a year on it and presumably had lots of time to conduct an investigation.

Last edited by shuttlt; 19th October 2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:34 PM   #488
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I'm talking about the screenshot, because the actual emails haven't been released.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:37 PM   #489
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Do your readers a favor, what with this being a forum ostensibly about discerning reality.

As you eagerly assign weight to such sketchy material, at least try to get your facts straight.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:37 PM   #490
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Yes, I'm talking about the screenshot, because the actual emails haven't been released.
So why say

"namely that the metadata of the "smocking gun" email dates it to October 2019, while the laptop itself was allegedly dropped off in April 2019."

If you knew it wasn't metadata from the email?
Old 19th October 2020, 03:40 PM   #491
shuttlt
Philosopher

OK. It doesn't seem like a significant discovery to me that the pdf that was made out of the emails was generated after the laptop was dropped off.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:42 PM   #492
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Do your readers a favor, what with this being a forum ostensibly about discerning reality.

As you eagerly assign weight to such sketchy material, at least try to get your facts straight.

Do tell what kind of pipe was it? Since you're the expert. I've seen it called a crack pipe, and seen those people corrected to say it's actually a meth pipe in the pictures. Now with your expertise, will you please lay it out for us? Let's settle it right here since you are so well versed in it. To me, and all the non addicts, it changes nothing about the reliability of a crack and/or meth addict to follow through on responsibilities such as picking up the laptop.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:47 PM   #493
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Do tell what kind of pipe was it? Since you're the expert. I've seen it called a crack pipe, and seen those people corrected to say it's actually a meth pipe in the pictures. Now with your expertise, will you please lay it out for us? Let's settle it right here since you are so well versed in it. To me, and all the non addicts, it changes nothing about the reliability of a crack and/or meth addict to follow through on responsibilities such as picking up the laptop.
Indeed. I'll never vote for Hunter Biden.

https://twitter.com/johnpavlovitz/st...963584/photo/1
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:49 PM   #494
shuttlt
Philosopher

Does the drug part actually matter? It feels like a pointless rabbit hole beyond the credibility such private pictures of him being in this data gives to the emails.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:49 PM   #495
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Also seen elsewhere https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/m...on/meth-mouth/

Seems like meth to me, but I'd like to hear your expertise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biden Meth Mouth.jpg (37.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 19th October 2020, 03:49 PM   #496
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know. So why would I tell?

Do you think it's productive or informative to accuse people you don't know, who challenge something you post, of being drug abusers? Rhetorical.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:52 PM   #497
xjx388
Philosopher

You people need to get out more. There's no difference between a meth pipe and a crack pipe. There are variations but you can use the same pipe to smoke either. You can also use them to vaporize thc concentrates.

Geez, it's like you guys never party or something . . .
Old 19th October 2020, 03:54 PM   #498
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I don't know. So why would I tell?

Do you think it's productive or informative to accuse people you don't know, who challenge something you post, of being drug abusers? Rhetorical.
Hunter Biden has an admitted history of drug abuse. That you chose to challenge that fact isn't going to work out well for you. You spoke as though you were an expert. He clearly fell asleep with a DOPE pipe in his mouth. How's that?
Old 19th October 2020, 03:57 PM   #499
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Does the drug part actually matter? It feels like a pointless rabbit hole beyond the credibility such private pictures of him being in this data gives to the emails.
It IS a pointless rabbit hole. But that's the point.
Old 19th October 2020, 04:00 PM   #500
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I think it matters as to why he may have left the laptop. Drug addicts do stupid things. The type of drug whether crack or meth does not change that. Someone wanted to make an issue of my characterization of Hunter as an addict. He's an admitted addict, so that's not going to work.
Old 19th October 2020, 04:23 PM   #501
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'll try to find some text sources of these tomorrow when I've got a little more time (and therefore take them with a large pinch of salt until I can find corroboration of some kind), but I heard three pieces of information about the email and the laptop today.

The first has already been discussed in the thread (and apologies if the other two have and I missed them), namely that the metadata of the "smocking gun" email dates it to October 2019, while the laptop itself was allegedly dropped off in April 2019.
The metadata I heard about was regarding the PDF representing the email, which would of course be irrelevant. But I heard that in passing and won't swear it's correct.

Quote:
The second is that there is allegedly a time-stamp on the email which is from a central European timezone, rather than an American one.

And the third is that the serial number of the harddrive has been traced and reveals that it remains in warranty until April 18th 2022. Since that model has a 3 year warranty, that means that it was purchased on April 18th 2019. The laptop was allegedly dropped off on April 12th 2019.
How does someone have the serial number of the harddrive? I thought that the only things made public were a number of emails (at least one of which was represented by a screenshot).

Answered in the later posted Twitter link. The serial number for the hard drive (an external HD) is from a repair document.

The external HD was used to try to recover data, if I understand correctly. A difference in terms of less than a month for the warranty seems not that troubling, but I don't know how these things work.

Last edited by phiwum; 19th October 2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=13263009
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 04:23 PM   #502
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Stupid like teleporting three thousand miles from California to Delaware, to find the only blind computer repair technician in the country who wouldn't get so much as a signature to connect a paper trail between him and his computer?
Old 19th October 2020, 04:30 PM   #503
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Stupid like teleporting three thousand miles from California to Delaware, to find the only blind computer repair technician in the country who wouldn't get so much as a signature to connect a paper trail between him and his computer?

Hunter Biden is from Delaware, and his father lives in Delaware. So it's not exactly a good argument that his residence in California would mean he never travels to Delaware.

Regarding the "legally blind" nonsense https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/leg...in%20one%20eye. it's a poor attempt to discredit this story.

Not sure why you think there is no signature.
Old 19th October 2020, 04:33 PM   #504
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The metadata I heard about was regarding the PDF representing the email, which would of course be irrelevant. But I heard that in passing and won't swear it's correct.

How does someone have the serial number of the harddrive? I thought that the only things made public were a number of emails (at least one of which was represented by a screenshot).

Answered in the later posted Twitter link. The serial number for the hard drive (an external HD) is from a repair document.

The external HD was used to try to recover data, if I understand correctly. A difference in terms of less than a month for the warranty seems not that troubling, but I don't know how these things work.
That's assuming it wasn't a 5 year warranty. The twitter poster conceded that point down thread, he was assuming a 3 year warranty.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:01 PM   #505
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Hunter Biden is from Delaware, and his father lives in Delaware. So it's not exactly a good argument that his residence in California would mean he never travels to Delaware.
Someone living in California wouldn't leave a personal computer in a repair shop on the east coast, if only because it would be wildly inconvenient. That this doesn't give you pause shows that you'll argue anything in order to excuse this entirely implausible story. Literally, the only people who believe it are the tragically stupid. The rest of those claiming the story is credible are doing so in an effort to slander Joe Biden by the fact that he has a son who has had problems; they (likely including you) know the story is BS but are in a desperate, immoral frame of mind...like all "conservatives."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:12 PM   #506
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Hunter Biden has an admitted history of drug abuse. That you chose to challenge that fact isn't going to work out well for you.
Is that what you think happened?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:13 PM   #507
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Getting back to Barr - where is he and how is he doing?
His condition may be the bigger October surprise.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:17 PM   #508
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Someone living in California wouldn't leave a personal computer in a repair shop on the east coast, if only because it would be wildly inconvenient. That this doesn't give you pause shows that you'll argue anything in order to excuse this entirely implausible story. Literally, the only people who believe it are the tragically stupid. The rest of those claiming the story is credible are doing so in an effort to slander Joe Biden by the fact that he has a son who has had problems; they (likely including you) know the story is BS but are in a desperate, immoral frame of mind...like all "conservatives."

You're opinion that it would be "inconvenient" for a millionaire drug addict doesn't really hold muster. There is no evidence that what the repair man says happened, didn't. Otherwise you would post it. We have the claims of the repair man, the FBI taking the hardware through a grand jury subpoena, the repair man giving copies away when nothing came of it, we have Biden's attorney asking for the hardware back.

We have no denial from Biden that the hardware wasn't his. Face it, it's looking more and more like the laptop was left by a drug addict. It's not that complicated.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:42 PM   #509
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Now, a grand jury has been empanelled? How many lies are you going to push?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:45 PM   #510
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Wow. Now, a grand jury has been empanelled? How many lies are you going to push?
You think the repair guy is lying about the FBI requesting the hardware through a grand jury subpoena? You think the subpoena was faked too?

"The FBI seized the laptop and a hard drive through a grand jury subpoena. The subpoena was later published by the New York Post. The bureau has declined to comment."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...reign-n1243620

You seem to be the one pushing lies.

Last edited by TahiniBinShawarma; 19th October 2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:46 PM   #511
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Chain of logic:

"We have the claims of . . . " but no evidence.
Claims by extremely disreputable characters, but no evidence.
Evidence free claims.
Freedom from evidence.
Freedom is A Merkin as you can git, so hang him.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:50 PM   #512
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

We have no denial from Biden that the hardware wasn't his. Face it, it's looking more and more like the laptop was left by a drug addict. It's not that complicated.
That's not how the burden of proof works.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:58 PM   #513
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Chain of logic:

"We have the claims of . . . " but no evidence.
Claims by extremely disreputable characters, but no evidence.
Evidence free claims.
Freedom from evidence.
Freedom is A Merkin as you can git, so hang him.
Sure sure, the pictures are of a second Hunter Biden, kind of like the second Oswald huh?

The grand jury subpoena was faked by the FBI wasn't it?

The email chain which was confirmed by others contacted in the chain is not real, because the email was fake, and therefore the confirming party is lying.

The repair guy is lying.

Hunter Biden would never physically go to Delaware. And theoretically, if he did, drug addicts are known for stable behavior and being responsible individuals. However Hunter Biden would never do drugs, so........FAKE I tell you!

Biden's attorney didn't call the repair shop, that was a fake call. And the email sent to the repair man from Biden's attorney is also fake.

Last edited by TahiniBinShawarma; 19th October 2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:03 PM   #514
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
No one said that.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:14 PM   #515
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's amazing how many people think a person must prove their innocence and not that an accuser must prove a person's guilt. It's so much easier to accuse someone of something than it is for that person to prove the accusation isn't true.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:18 PM   #516
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's amazing how many people think a person must prove their innocence and not that an accuser must prove a person's guilt. It's so much easier to accuse someone of something than it is for that person to prove the accusation isn't true.
No one said that either.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:19 PM   #517
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I definitely trust this guy. Why don't you?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:27 PM   #518
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I definitely trust this guy. Why don't you?

Am I the only one who thinks he could play Mr Magoo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magoo.jpg (50.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th October 2020, 06:28 PM   #519
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Am I the only one who thinks he could play Mr Magoo?
You mean he isn't?
Old 19th October 2020, 06:29 PM   #520
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That works for the repair man too though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics