ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 31st March 2020, 07:24 PM   #521
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Pile of asterisks" has a ring to it.

But shouldn't it be something more like

?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 05:54 AM   #522
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Interesting. Originally, I had the word “bull” followed by 4 “*”. The auto censor took that and somehow came up with 12 “*”.
Old 1st April 2020, 01:43 PM   #523
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Interesting. Originally, I had the word “bull” followed by 4 “*”. The auto censor took that and somehow came up with 12 “*”.

"Bull feces", OTOH, seems to be quite acceptable.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 02:27 PM   #524
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Donald-Kruger Trump.
(I apologize if it has already been used.)
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Covfevid-19.
Those are both fantastic!

Do we get to vote?

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 02:32 PM   #525
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Those are both fantastic!

Do we get to vote?
Covfevid-19 for President!
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 03:38 PM   #526
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

It does have a ring to it. But how is it pronounced?
Old 1st April 2020, 03:41 PM   #527
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Covfevid-19.
Perfect
Old 1st April 2020, 03:56 PM   #528
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It does have a ring to it. But how is it pronounced?
"Covfefe."
Old 1st April 2020, 05:41 PM   #529
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If you want to give it a little bit of class, you can say "c'est des conneries". Might get through the censors.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 05:50 PM   #530
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If you want to give it a little bit of class, you can say "c'est des conneries". Might get through the censors.
Trash-talking the American President in French? Might as well run up a white flag.
Old 1st April 2020, 05:59 PM   #531
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Trash-talking the American President in French? Might as well run up a white flag.
There'll be no white flag above my door.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 06:29 PM   #532
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I once got a yellow for doing that.
Old 1st April 2020, 06:38 PM   #533
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Acceptable maybe, but not strong enough. The only thing weaker is Trump himself.
Old 1st April 2020, 08:30 PM   #534
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Early on, I kind of liked “Alleged billionaire Donald Trump.”

Then I considered “serial bankrupter” but that was awkward, so I went with Bankrupteur.

But now that 2020 is here something much, much harsher is required.
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:36 AM   #535
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Early on, I kind of liked “Alleged billionaire Donald Trump.”

Then I considered “serial bankrupter” but that was awkward, so I went with Bankrupteur.

But now that 2020 is here something much, much harsher is required.
I wonder if the suggestions given in the thread so far can be ranked according to harshness. You might find several are already above your threshold.

Meanwhile, here's some proposals from the OP. Who knows? Maybe one of them already meets your requirement:

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've been trying to think of a good nickname for him. So many come to mind. Pussy Grabber, Deceitful Don, Drumpf Trump, Lying Turd or alternatively Lying POS.

But I think after his submissive obsequious performance with Putin, I've been thinking Treasonous Trump or Traitor Trump.
"Traitor" seems pretty harsh. What with treason being a capital crime and all. Are you looking for something even harsher than that?
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:50 AM   #536
Ulf Nereng
Muse

A bit long, but "Notresponsible-19" ?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:01 AM   #537
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
A bit long, but "Notresponsible-19" ?
Seems too jokey, and not harsh enough.
Old 3rd April 2020, 02:06 AM   #538
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I once got a yellow for doing that.

I don't understand why you should have. I thought our instructions were to just type stuff out and let the autocensor do its job. It isn't like anything is being done to try to evade it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:10 AM   #539
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand why you should have. I thought our instructions were to just type stuff out and let the autocensor do its job. It isn't like anything is being done to try to evade it.
Apparently I was evading the censor by typing "feces" instead of "****".
Old 4th April 2020, 06:44 AM   #540
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Apparently I was evading the censor by typing "feces" instead of "****".

There are so many different words which describe the same things. Some of them considered profane or obscene, many of them commonly acceptable in daily conversation or even in clinical descriptions.

"Feces" as a descriptive noun fits neatly in both of the latter two groups.

How are we to know where the line is drawn without allowing the autocensor to do it for us?

The fact that it wasn't censored automatically and that you took no unusual steps to evade the autocensor means that you operated clearly and well within the rules.

They should have given autocensor the yellow card.

Old 4th April 2020, 06:43 PM   #541
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Traitor Don
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 07:58 AM   #542
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
Traitor Don
Enh.

"Traitor" has been on the table since page one.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:55 AM   #543
Cheetah
Master Poster

But back then it was just conjecture.
Old 8th April 2020, 01:29 AM   #544
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Enh.

Or we can call him Don Pinocchio.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 02:37 AM   #545
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I wonder if the suggestions given in the thread so far can be ranked according to harshness. You might find several are already above your threshold.

Meanwhile, here's some proposals from the OP. Who knows? Maybe one of them already meets your requirement:

"Traitor" seems pretty harsh. What with treason being a capital crime and all. Are you looking for something even harsher than that?
I apologize for my ambiguity.
I was trying to say something harsher than my suggestion was needed. Not that something harsher than what has been put forward in this thread was needed.
Old 8th April 2020, 02:42 AM   #546
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Enh.

Yes, but Traitor Don is so much more.

He loves telling stories about how someone comes to him and says “Mr. President here is a problem only you can fix.” Referring to him as Don would be infuriating to him and amusing to many of his critics.
Old 8th April 2020, 04:23 AM   #547
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Donocchio?
Old 8th April 2020, 08:54 AM   #548
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Go for it. Let's see if it catches on.
Old 8th April 2020, 08:56 AM   #549
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I apologize for my ambiguity.
I was trying to say something harsher than my suggestion was needed. Not that something harsher than what has been put forward in this thread was needed.
There was no ambiguity. I understood exactly what you were saying.

That's why I suggested looking at what else has been put forward in the thread, to see if any of them met your requirements for something harsher.

"Traitor", for example. Does that meet your requirements?
Old 8th April 2020, 09:14 AM   #550
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but Traitor Don is so much more.

He loves telling stories about how someone comes to him and says “Mr. President here is a problem only you can fix.” Referring to him as Don would be infuriating to him and amusing to many of his critics.
I often wonder how closely President Trump's inner life matches the inner life imagined by his critics. It seems to me that he thrives on the conflict, enjoys the give-and-take of name-calling, and sees the abuse as evidence of his successful trolling. He certainly doesn't seem demoralized by it. Are you tired of all the winning? Because Trump isn't tired yet.

Then there's the wildly aspirational aspect of this name-calling. The magnificently unearned confidence of it. Maybe if the entire White House press corps started prefacing their questions with "Don...", it might get under his skin.* But I think we can all agree that what goes on in this thread has no bearing on that.

This leaves "... amusing to his many critics." Which really means "amusing to a few people on this forum." Which okay, it tickles your funny bone. And that brings me back to wondering about Trump's inner life. It seems like this thread has nothing to do with Trump's inner life, and everything to do with the inner lives of the people designing these clever epithets. Kind of like how The West Wing was a comforting parallel universe for progressives during the Bush Administration.

---
*Now there's a mental image you probably didn't need. Bleurgh.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th April 2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 8th April 2020, 11:10 AM   #551
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I often wonder how closely President Trump's inner life matches the inner life imagined by his critics. It seems to me that he thrives on the conflict, enjoys the give-and-take of name-calling, and sees the abuse as evidence of his successful trolling. He certainly doesn't seem demoralized by it. Are you tired of all the winning? Because Trump isn't tired yet.

Then there's the wildly aspirational aspect of this name-calling. The magnificently unearned confidence of it. Maybe if the entire White House press corps started prefacing their questions with "Don...", it might get under his skin.* But I think we can all agree that what goes on in this thread has no bearing on that.

This leaves "... amusing to his many critics." Which really means "amusing to a few people on this forum." Which okay, it tickles your funny bone. And that brings me back to wondering about Trump's inner life. It seems like this thread has nothing to do with Trump's inner life, and everything to do with the inner lives of the people designing these clever epithets. Kind of like how The West Wing was a comforting parallel universe for progressives during the Bush Administration.

---
*Now there's a mental image you probably didn't need. Bleurgh.
I have seen no evidence that Trump enjoys the give and take of name calling. Only the give. He does not appear to be demoralized by retorts, but I would not bet that this is due to anything more than his apparent ability to dismiss criticism as the work of wreckers, and his apparent ability to believe his own lies. I see more malice than enjoyment.

Speculation about his inner life presumes that there is something to speculate about.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:29 AM   #552
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I have seen no evidence that Trump enjoys the give and take of name calling. Only the give. He does not appear to be demoralized by retorts, but I would not bet that this is due to anything more than his apparent ability to dismiss criticism as the work of wreckers, and his apparent ability to believe his own lies. I see more malice than enjoyment.

Speculation about his inner life presumes that there is something to speculate about.
Speculation about his inner life has been put forward repeatedly in this thread and others to explain the value of verbally abusing him.

I've lost track of the number of times some bit of abuse has been celebrated because it's really getting to him inside. Or some program of abuse is advocated because it's clearly going to make him upset inside.
Old 8th April 2020, 11:36 AM   #553
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

I think he is more affected than he shows. He is remarkably and notoriously thin skinned, petty and vengeful. He got owned by Obama at the WH Correspondents' Dinner and his anger is almost palpable in the video. It's been claimed that dinner is when he decided to run for POTUS.

Quote:
But on April 30, the tables were turned. Trump was the recipient of President Obama’s jokes at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner — and Trump political adviser Roger Stone tells FRONTLINE in The Choice 2016 that the dinner was a turning point for Trump.

“I think that is the night he resolves to run for president,” Stone says in the opening scene of FRONTLINE’s two-hour documentary on Trump and Clinton, which premieres on Tues., Sept. 27 at 9 p.m. EST/8 p.m. CST on PBS stations nationwide.

“I think that he is kind of motivated by it: ‘Maybe I’ll just run. Maybe I’ll show them all,’” Stone adds.
Quote:
“Donald dreads humiliation and he dreads shame, and this is why he often attempts to humiliate and shame other people,” author Michael D’Antonio tells FRONTLINE. “This is a burning, personal need that he has to redeem himself from being humiliated by the first black president,” D’Antonio adds in the final moment of the film’s opening sequence.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...-donald-trump/
Old 8th April 2020, 11:40 AM   #554
wareyin
Philosopher

Or some program of abuse is advocated because it's clearly going to make him upset inside.
Are you sure about that bit? I thought Trump advocated programs of abuse because they clearly made him happy inside.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 11:41 AM   #555
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Don the Coward
Old 8th April 2020, 11:43 AM   #556
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think he is more affected than he shows. He is remarkably and notoriously thin skinned, petty and vengeful. He got owned by Obama at the WH Correspondents' Dinner and his anger is almost palpable in the video. It's been claimed that dinner is when he decided to run for POTUS.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...-donald-trump/
Maybe The One Thing That Will End Trump is if Barack Obama makes fun of him some more. Where is the National Hero when we need him most? Is he short on material? Has anyone considered telling him about all the pith and wit put forth in this thread?
Old 8th April 2020, 11:46 AM   #557
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Don the Coward
Ooh. That is a good one. Call him out in a tweet, using that epithet, and I'm sure he'll seethe for days hours minutes, at least. You won't see it, but it'll be there, just below the surface. Seething.
Old 8th April 2020, 11:51 AM   #558
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe The One Thing That Will End Trump is if Barack Obama makes fun of him some more. Where is the National Hero when we need him most? Is he short on material? Has anyone considered telling him about all the pith and wit put forth in this thread?
Old 8th April 2020, 12:04 PM   #559
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Finally somebody recognizes I'm doing my part to keep people amused and light-hearted in this time of corona.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:05 PM   #560
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Finally somebody recognizes I'm doing my part to keep people amused and light-hearted in this time of corona.
I have to admit that a lot of your posts make me laugh.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics