ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Old 8th April 2020, 07:34 PM   #561
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From the amount of lies he tells, I like "President Pants of Fire".

He repeated the claim today that voting by mail is 'rife for fraud' and that CA admitted there were a million fraudulent votes in that stare in the 2016 election. Politifact has already awarded that claim as "Pants on Fire" but Trump just keeps repeating it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 08:07 AM   #562
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
Or we can call him Don Pinocchio.

In one sense Pinocchio would be appropriate because Trump's lies are usually blatant and obvious. And his demeanor is wooden and contrived.

In another it would not, because Pinocchio ultimately learned that lying was wrong, and quit doing it.

I don't think that is an outcome we can ever expect from Trump.

Sadly, he will never become a real, live boy.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 08:14 AM   #563
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I often wonder how closely President Trump's inner life matches the inner life imagined by his critics. It seems to me that he thrives on the conflict, enjoys the give-and-take of name-calling, and sees the abuse as evidence of his successful trolling. He certainly doesn't seem demoralized by it. Are you tired of all the winning? Because Trump isn't tired yet.

<snip>

The idea of imagining the inner life of a narcissistic, sociopathic, pathological liar with delusions of grandeur has never been an aspiration of mine. The ability to do so would imply a degree of empathy which I doubt I could ever achieve.

Not to mention that it might imply some degree of sympathy as well, the thought of which makes me ill.

I'm unsure how many people would actually be equipped for such an exercise.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 10th April 2020 at 08:24 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 08:18 AM   #564
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

He repeated the claim today that voting by mail is 'rife for fraud' and that CA admitted there were a million fraudulent votes in that stare in the 2016 election. Politifact has already awarded that claim as "Pants on Fire" but Trump just keeps repeating it.

Since Pinocchio was a recent mention here, it is interesting to note that the WaPo gave those same claims (among other related ones) four Pinocchios, a level of deceit and duplicity rarely awarded even to Trump himself.

Old 10th April 2020, 08:22 AM   #565
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Speculation about his inner life has been put forward repeatedly in this thread and others to explain the value of verbally abusing him.

I've lost track of the number of times some bit of abuse has been celebrated because it's really getting to him inside. Or some program of abuse is advocated because it's clearly going to make him upset inside.

I guess I've lost track of them too, as in I don't really recall all that many. Unless you are referring simply to the references to obvious demonstrations of thin-skinned retributive behavior he engages in so regularly.

I'm not sure that counts as speculation about his inner life. It seems to me it is more like discussion of his outer life. But I suppose definitions can vary.

Old 10th April 2020, 08:33 AM   #566
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I guess I've lost track of them too, as in I don't really recall all that many. Unless you are referring simply to the references to obvious demonstrations of thin-skinned retributive behavior he engages in so regularly.

I'm not sure that counts as speculation about his inner life. It seems to me it is more like discussion of his outer life. But I suppose definitions can vary.
You're attributing a cause to the effect. The cause is speculative.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 10:01 AM   #567
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

You're attributing a cause to the effect. The cause is speculative.

Yeah ... no.

Perhaps you might link to some examples of these many posts you describe, so that we can get a clearer idea of just what you mean.

Old 11th April 2020, 10:58 AM   #568
DetectedMotion
Scholar

Since Trump likes to give people nicknames, he may like traitor since it sounds more like "trader".
So I believe Don Pinocchio is one he wouldn't like, plus it has a good flow when saying it.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 07:47 AM   #569
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump, the Breaker of Spines.

Seriously, why does everyone think they can influence Trump by covering his ass in public?
Old 27th April 2020, 08:34 AM   #570
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Someone elsewhere was comparing Trump to Caligula. As many undoubtedly know, Caligula as a child accompanied his father in military service, he was nicknamed "little boots" and it stuck. I suggest for our current Caligula wannabe, "Manicula."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 09:42 AM   #571
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Someone elsewhere was comparing Trump to Caligula. As many undoubtedly know, Caligula as a child accompanied his father in military service, he was nicknamed "little boots" and it stuck. I suggest for our current Caligula wannabe, "Manicula."
Like "bonespurs", but with less contemporary meaning and more obscure references to a dead language?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 11:43 AM   #572
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Like "bonespurs", but with less contemporary meaning and more obscure references to a dead language?
Right. I knew you'd love it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 12:23 PM   #573
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Right. I knew you'd love it.
Can't say I'm a fan, actually. I can certainly appreciate a good zinger. "Manicula by analogy with Caligula" is not that zinger.

You'd be better off sticking with "Dolt 45". It's succinct. It's witty. It fits.
Old 4th May 2020, 10:03 AM   #574
CORed
Philosopher

I still think Tillerson nailed it, so I'm sticking with "moron" with or without the f-word participle, depending on how polite the situation calls for.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 11:16 AM   #575
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I still think Tillerson nailed it, so I'm sticking with "moron" with or without the f-word participle, depending on how polite the situation calls for.
I would love to hear Tillerson's take on Trump. We know he thinks Trump is a moron, but I'm sure he has a lot more he could say. I think after Trump is out of office (hopefully in Jan.) we'll be hearing from quite a few people about what really went on.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 11:28 AM   #576
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It'll be interesting if any of them reveals that this or that nickname catching on was the final straw.
Old 4th May 2020, 02:51 PM   #577
Venom
Illuminator

I have to admit that a lot of your posts make me laugh.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 11:24 PM   #578
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

I am partial to "that ****wit". Simple, straight to the point, descriptive, no explanation needed.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 03:01 AM   #579
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Killer.

Donald J. Bull ****

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th May 2020 at 03:02 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 04:53 AM   #580
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I would love to hear Tillerson's take on Trump. We know he thinks Trump is a moron, but I'm sure he has a lot more he could say. I think after Trump is out of office (hopefully in Jan.) we'll be hearing from quite a few people about what really went on.
Which of course really pisses me off because then it will make no difference whatsoever.
Old 5th May 2020, 01:38 PM   #581
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Which of course really pisses me off because then it will make no difference whatsoever.
True. But we know what happens to Republicans who cross Trump. At least we have a few brave Republicans like those in The Lincoln Project.
Old 5th May 2020, 05:45 PM   #582
AnonyMoose
Muse

Dummy McDumbface

(actually I prefer ***********, but that would go against the MA)

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rule 10.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 5th May 2020 at 09:52 PM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2020, 05:51 PM   #583
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

God-Emperor King on High, Blessed Be His Holy Name.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:16 PM   #584
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
God-Emperor King on High, Blessed Be His Holy Name.
aka "that ****wit".
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 06:16 AM   #585
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

President Boomer Buster
Old 11th May 2020, 08:23 AM   #586
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"The Defendant".

Yes, I'm sure that was used pages and pages ago.
Old 11th May 2020, 09:03 AM   #587
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Apologies if this has been said before as I haven't been through the whole thread:

In the not too distant future I hope the name "Trump" will be a nickname - for a fat, narcissistic loser.
Old 11th May 2020, 09:31 AM   #588
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Apologies if this has been said before as I haven't been through the whole thread:

In the not too distant future I hope the name "Trump" will be a nickname - for a fat, narcissistic loser.
Yes, I think it has been a few times, but it bears repeating.

I think we can help it along. Instead of calling Trump nickname for something we don't like, we should start standardizing the euphemism "Trump" for anything we don't like.

Don't be such a trump!

Old 11th May 2020, 03:46 PM   #589
Lurch
Graduate Poster

In another thread, after someone painted the gruesome picture of Trump squatting on the throne, trousers about ankles, with thumbs a pokin' at his phone, followed by someone's proposal of Darth Continent, I thought that to be too literate for the deplorables to grok. Staying in the vein of the (risible and impotent) Star Wars baddie, how about Darth Twit?

But then, such a groping for a Darth moniker eventually must converge to the only and obvious one: Darth Drumpf. That old family name, having a longer history, is the correct choice here. A unique name for a unique blight.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 03:52 PM   #590
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hey,Mr. Tangerine Man, build a wall for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAlvBMwN_7U
Old 11th May 2020, 04:21 PM   #591
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think we can help it along. Instead of calling Trump nickname for something we don't like, we should start standardizing the euphemism "Trump" for anything we don't like.

Don't be such a trump!
I think it was getting brought up since before the election, even.

I'm actually a bit surprised it hasn't caught on already. Haven't our UKian cousins been pointing out the "trump = fart" connection in British English for literally years now?

Hell, I think ORANGE MAN BAD has more mindshare. Maybe you should just stick with that.
Old 11th May 2020, 05:00 PM   #592
zorro99
Muse

Typhoid Trump
Old 11th May 2020, 05:09 PM   #593
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Don't be such a trump!

I expressed the opinion at the beginning of this thread that Trump was already doing enough to turn his name into a pejorative, and didn't really need much embellishment.

Subsequent events have not changed that opinion. If anything it has become more apparent.

Kinda hard on the bridge players, though. But hey, ya can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Old 11th May 2020, 05:22 PM   #594
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hey,Mr. Tangerine Man, build a wall for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAlvBMwN_7U
And that was four years ago!
Old 11th May 2020, 07:46 PM   #595
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And that was four years ago!
But still apropos. Randy is a genius at parody...AND he can sing.
Old 11th May 2020, 10:28 PM   #596
Warmer1
Critical Thinker

Although it is not a nickname I would love to see that every time the name Trump is written in any communication it is followed by WPE, Trump WPE, Worst President Ever!!!!

Please help make it go viral
Warmer1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2020, 10:34 PM   #597
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Don't be such a trump!
He has already out-santorumed Rick Santorum, so this indeed is a good choice.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:37 AM   #598
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warmer1 View Post
Although it is not a nickname I would love to see that every time the name Trump is written in any communication it is followed by WPE, Trump WPE, Worst President Ever!!!!

I like "Dump". As in "I had a good Dump this morning."

Or we could go with Worst-Intentioned President Ever, or WIPE. You need that after the Dump.
Old 13th May 2020, 11:25 AM   #599
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warmer1 View Post

He's bad, but worst? Lincoln was more divisive and deadly. Harding was more corrupt.
Old 13th May 2020, 12:43 PM   #600
Cheetah
Master Poster

He is the worst in killing the most innocent people by sheer self absorption and negligence... for no logical reason.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics