ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 17th July 2020, 03:16 AM   #441
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Hard to believe. As CBS News reports, Governor Brian Kemp is forcing local governments in Georgia to rescind any requirement that residents wear face masks. This effects at least fifteen local governments including the City of Atlanta.

These Republican supporters go back and forth with this. If a governor does something they don't like they cry local rule. If a city, town or county enacts something they don't like they appeal to the governor. Or donald trump. But with almost all of them, they won't discuss the medical science involved. They refuse to acknowledge the polling that shows the majority of Americans think wearing a face mask is a good idea. That's a conversation they're not having. It becomes impossible to work with people like this.

Meantime, the virus in Georgia keeps growing:
Don't worry, now that the Trump Administration gets to record the numbers, they are sure to go down.

Pneumonia deaths may mysteriously increase in a dramatic fashion, but many people say that is a totally different issue and all Obama's fault.
Old 17th July 2020, 07:16 AM   #442
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You can't fix stupid. And these people are just plain
stupid.
This is why mask mandates are necessary at this point. You can't reason with someone about complex health issues when they are bat crap insane. Just tell them to do something and punish them if they don't. Like vaccine requirements in schools. We don't have time to fix your brain; just put a mask on or stay home and get out of everyone's way.

Down the road, I don't look forward to living in a country where these people have home-schooled their kids either ...
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 09:34 AM   #443
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Oklahoma reports 24,140 COVID19 infections, an increase of 14,434 for a 148.7% increase since June 19. Trump held his BOK rally June 20.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:32 PM   #444
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The full quote, though, began with

"'The science is on our side here,' McEnany told reporters gathered in the James S. Brady Briefing Room Thursday afternoon."

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what she meant.

But the out of context quote is funnier. I have only a limited amount of outrage available for an out of context quote that hurts Donald Trump.
It really annoys me the way the media (on both sides ) will take things out of context and run with it.
In this case it is one thing to argue with the premise that science is on the side of reopening and another to claim she said it doesn't matter where science stands.
I could also see people arguing you believe by the actions of the administration or President Trump's words they don't care about the science regardless of what was said.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:57 PM   #445
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
It really annoys me the way the media (on both sides ) will take things out of context and run with it.
In this case it is one thing to argue with the premise that science is on the side of reopening and another to claim she said it doesn't matter where science stands.
I could also see people arguing you believe by the actions of the administration or President Trump's words they don't care about the science regardless of what was said.
That irritates the feces out of me, too. But I also know that some people don't want to hear that when it doesn't coincide with their 'side'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 01:55 PM   #446
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I agree, in principle, but to be honest, I've given up caring when it comes to Trump. His failures on covid has made it personal for me.

However, it would be better for all if there were widely read, trustworthy, nonpartisan, news sources, who did not misrepresent things like this. Ironically, if such a thing existed, I don't think Trump would ever have been elected.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 02:45 PM   #447
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
What has this administration done to warrant any benefit of the doubt?
Nothing.

But in this instance, fair-minded observers who take in her entire statement should have no doubt.

(To be clear, I don't mean to imply they are actually being guided by science.)

Last edited by varwoche; 17th July 2020 at 02:48 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:51 PM   #448
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The reality is, who is Kayleigh McEnany? She's a shrill partisan political figure commonly considered to have little in the way of objectivity or integrity. When she appeared on a Fox News program and gushed about how wonderful donald trump is and how terrible Barack Obama was, that said it all. If she had displayed some tact and intelligence, people would have at least respected her. If she'd said something like:
Quote:
"I'm really excited to be a part of the trump administration. I think president trump is doing a terrific job and really taking this country in the right direction. I really disagreed with the direction in which his predecessor was leading us. I truly believe we're finally on the right path."
Many people -- like me -- wouldn't have agreed with her opinion but at least we could respect the way she expressed it. If she had come across as reasonable, mature and professional. Only she didn't come across that way at all. She came across as an idiot.

What Kayleigh McEnany says means nothing. She is going to go out and say whatever they tell her to say and swear, "It's the greatest! No, it really is!" This is a mouthpiece, which all leaders like trump have. An American and female version of Baghdad Bob.

Bah humbug!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:57 PM   #449
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Nothing.

But in this instance, fair-minded observers who take in her entire statement should have no doubt.

(To be clear, I don't mean to imply they are actually being guided by science.)
Yes, it's quite clear.

Quote:
The president has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open. And I was just in the Oval talking to him about that. And when he says open, he means open and full, kids being able to attend each and every day at their school. The science should not stand in the way of this. And as Dr. Scott Atlas said, I thought this was a good quote. Of course, we can do it. Everyone else in the Western world, our peer nations are doing it. We are the outlier here. The science is very clear on this that for instance, you look at the JAMA Pediatric study of 46 pediatric hospitals in North America that said the risk of critical illness from COVID is far less for children than that of seasonal flu.

The science is on our side here, and we encourage for localities and states to just simply follow the science, open our schools.
1. The President insists on it.

2. If the science disagrees it's wrong.

3. But everyone else is doing it (lie!)

4. And the science very clearly agrees (lie #2)

5. So we should follow it because it's on our (Trump's) side (this time).

But that's not the worst of it,
Quote:
It’s very damaging to our children. There’s a lack of reporting of abuse, there’s mental depressions that are not addressed, suicidal ideations that are not addressed when students are not in school. Our schools are extremely important. They’re essential and they must reopen. Yes.
OMG, schools are essential to prevent abuse, mental depression and suicide! Yes, it's true. Teenage suicide rates are on the rise. But what is causing it?

As Teen Suicide Rate Increases, States Look to Schools to Address Crisis
Quote:
In April 2018, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported that the suicide rate among U.S. youth, ages 10 to 17, had increased by 70 percent between 2006 and 2016...

Experts cite a number of reasons why teens are so susceptible. Bullying, academic pressure, family problems, and social media are all risk factors.

“Honestly, I’ve had more students this year hospitalized for anxiety, depression, and other mental-health issues than ever,” said Kathy Reamy, school counselor at La Plata High School in southern Maryland and chair of the NEA School Counselor Caucus. “There’s just so much going on in this day and age, the pressures to fit in, the pressure to achieve, the pressure of social media. And then you couple that with the fact that kids can’t even feel safe in their schools—they worry genuinely about getting shot—and it all makes it so much harder to be a teenager.”

Too many schools have become pressure cookers, says Denise Pope of Stanford University.

“I’ve spoken with many kids who tell me, ‘I’m studying as hard as I can and my parents are saying I just need to study harder.’ These kids stay up all night and focus 100 percent on schoolwork to get ahead,” Pope says.
Old 17th July 2020, 05:00 PM   #450
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The reality is, who is Kayleigh McEnany? She's a shrill partisan political figure commonly considered to have little in the way of objectivity or integrity. When she appeared on a Fox News program and gushed about how wonderful donald trump is and how terrible Barack Obama was, that said it all. If she had displayed some tact and intelligence, people would have at least respected her. If she'd said something like:

Many people -- like me -- wouldn't have agreed with her opinion but at least we could respect the way she expressed it. If she had come across as reasonable, mature and professional. Only she didn't come across that way at all. She came across as an idiot.

What Kayleigh McEnany says means nothing. She is going to go out and say whatever they tell her to say and swear, "It's the greatest! No, it really is!" This is a mouthpiece, which all leaders like trump have. An American and female version of Baghdad Bob.

Bah humbug!
In context or out of it, McEnany is full of ****.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:27 PM   #451
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Still not one syllable about Herman Cain's status since he was admitted to the hospital approx 16 days ago, having contracted covid somewhere around the time of the Tulsa rally which he attended up close and maskless.
Old 17th July 2020, 05:40 PM   #452
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Still not one syllable about Herman Cain's status since he was admitted to the hospital approx 16 days ago, having contracted covid somewhere around the time of the Tulsa rally which he attended up close and maskless.
According to the Christian Post, prayers are healing him.

Herman Cain progressing in COVID-19 recovery; prayers 'making a difference'
Quote:
Update: Herman wants to thank everyone for praying for him. It's making a difference. He's still in the hospital but he's making progress and we expect to hear more encouraging news as the week progresses. So thank you, everyone, and keep them coming! God is listening.

— Herman Cain (@THEHermanCain) July 5, 2020
That was 12 days ago. I couldn't find anything newer.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 06:11 PM   #453
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

A different approach. Below is a statement uploaded to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's state webpage.
Quote:
Governor Cuomo Announces New York City Cleared by Global Health Experts to Enter Phase Four of Reopening Monday, July 20th

"New York City will enter Phase Four on Monday. That is a hallmark for us. Every region of the state will now be in Phase Four. There are no more phases than Phase Four, so we are all in the final phase of reopening. And that's great. Every region has made it through the four phases without having to close. And the numbers are consistent through all phases of reopening. And this is what we said from day one, reopen smart, and if you reopen smart and you reopen in phases, and you follow the data, it's actually a better way for the economy to reopen because if you rush the reopening then you risk the probability of a viral increase.

"Today is day 139. New York conducted 78,239 tests yesterday and 776 were positive. That is lower than 1 percent were positive, so that is very good news. Ten New Yorkers passed away yesterday. Cause of death, COVID. They're in our thoughts and prayers. Seven hundred sixty-five New Yorkers were hospitalized, that's down 48, so that's very good news. It's the lowest daily total of hospitalizations since March 18...We had the full team go through the data. As you know, we accumulate more data than any state that's now testing. We then have that data reviewed by two teams of experts. We have an in-house team, Department of Health, et cetera, and then we have global experts that have looked at this data all across the world, and we ask them to look at the data to make sure there's nothing that they see that is troubling. And they've done that." governor dot ny dot gov
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 09:44 PM   #454
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

The main quibble that I have here is that both sides assumes that there's only two sides. Otherwise, this is true enough, directly speaking. It does leave out the fact that far too many of the right-wing leaning media sources are dramatically worse offenders, though.

It's true that those are different things. Still, with that said, I'm not particularly convinced with the premise that science is actually on the side of reopening schools. There are some indications that it reopening schools will be relatively safe for the kids, at least, (teachers are apparently making their wills en masse, at present) but nowhere close to enough to serve as a definitive answer on the subject. There are also some other related important caveats to recognize, though. For example, the nicer schools in wealthier (usually very white) areas will fairly certainly be in an overwhelmingly better position to enact and uphold any safety measures than the schools in poorer areas of the US - the same poorer areas where the people tend to be far more at risk of serious harm due to COVID. That the loudest voices pushing for school reopening seem like they're serving the same masters who have been pushing propaganda concerns and attacking science in ways that keep making COVID get ever more out of control in the US is also serious reason for concern, honestly, though.

Politically speaking, the Republican Party has pretty consistently been a fair weather friend of science for far too long now. If science happens to determine something that they like, they celebrate that and praise science loudly. If science happens to determine something that they don't like, they attack and undermine science both directly and more generally. Going further, the Trump Administration has literally testified to Congress that "Science is a Democrat thing" and has rather consistently worked to either completely remove science from decision-making as much as possible or replace the scientists in question with ones being paid by corporations to say what the corporations want them to say. So it's very safe to say that the Republican politician and Trump Administration sides really don't actually care about science, itself, so much as how they can use it towards their own ends.

On the Democrat side, incidentally, there's notably more internal conflict when it comes to how much to respect science but, overall, the equilibrium currently rests at a very, very significantly higher level than it does among Republican politicians.

Last edited by Aridas; 17th July 2020 at 09:47 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:19 AM   #455
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

As Florida, Texas and others rev up the reefer trucks, the words of an NYC ER doctor echo through the land:

Quote:
Every disaster has its images, its symbols. For COVID-19, it might just be the refrigerator truck. It’s our overflow morgue, holding the patients we could not save.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...erator-trucks/
Old 18th July 2020, 04:22 AM   #456
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...02949274275840

Quote:
How Trump's comments on COVID-19 correspond to case numbers in the U.S.
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 18th July 2020, 04:30 AM   #457
Ulf Nereng
Muse

A different approach. Below is a statement uploaded to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's state webpage.
If all the states had followed Cuomo's lead and done likewise, the US economy would now be well poised for a sustained comeback and Trump would be well on his way to re-election. Sad. So much whining. Are you tired of whining yet, Trump? Covfefe! CryOverVirusForEverFatEgomainiac!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 06:39 AM   #458
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:
Newt Gingrich: Coronavirus remote voting in Congress is cowardly – if freedom isn't worth the risk then quit

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/coro...-newt-gingrich

a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 06:45 AM   #459
Armitage72
Illuminator

Georgia continues to cook the books with their virus reporting.

Some people have mentioned not being able to view Tweets here, so here's a screen capture.

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 07:33 AM   #460
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost terrifying that trump is this stupid.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump Tweets-
In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open! Fox News link
But trump must know what the difference is. Why is he ignoring it? What's the real plan here. Just getting himself reelected? That's it, nothing else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Germany Cases 07142020.jpg (38.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Denmark New cases 07162020.jpg (39.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Norway New cases 07172020.jpg (40.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sweden New cases 07172020.jpg (43.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 07172020.jpg (41.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 18th July 2020, 07:55 AM   #461
Modified
Philosopher

But trump must know what the difference is. Why is he ignoring it? What's the real plan here. Just getting himself reelected? That's it, nothing else?

It makes no sense. For schools that reopen, it's almost certain there will be multiple news stories where a majority of teachers and administrators in a school get the virus. Odds of this helping him are tiny and the results would be minor, odds of it hurting are high, and the results could be significant. Seems like a terrible bet.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 08:07 AM   #462
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

It makes no sense but that is exactly what trump has done his entire career. Make self-serving, self-indulgent decisions that turn out to be disastrous. He has this whole history of failure behind him. Of always picking the wrong strategy. Especially those of us in New York, who've had a ringside seat to his career, absolutely dreaded trump becoming president. Fearing trump doing to the U.S. what he did to his casinos, or the airline or the football league.

Only now it's happening. He helped lead the way to a resurgence of the Covid-19 pandemic in the U.S. by pushing for states to reopen as early as possible. Now those states have led the way as the U.S. takes the lead with the most cases of any nation. It seems now trump is poised to create a Fall school crisis as the virus spreads even faster with who knows how many hundreds of thousands of school kids sickened. Neatly coinciding with the seasonal flu thereby creating a huge problem for the U.S. healthcare system.

It truly is a nightmare unfolding before our very eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US v EU Coronavirus trending.jpg (81.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 18th July 2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 18th July 2020, 08:14 AM   #463
carlitos
"más divertido"

The all-new "US Politics and coronavirus" thread pt. 2

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

Some people have mentioned not being able to view Tweets here, so here's a screen capture.

https://i.imgur.com/hvrROMf.jpg

Thank you very much for the screen cap.

Not that anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt in Georgia, but a lot of automated software for graphic or visualization sets a scale with parameters around what constitutes a red zone or green zone depending on the data. It certainly might not be that someone actually manipulated. It seems more likely to me that the software does it based on the variance up or down.

In other words, if the state has more cases across all of the counties, but certain counties are still more than the other ones in proportion, The color scheme would look essentially the same from period to period, even though all of the numbers are higher. That’s just the nature of this kind of data visualization. In other words, it’s not the right tool for you to look at Absolute number case increases.

My opinion only - note that if I were sharing this data set, I would have explained that to whoever was viewing it or put some kind of disclaimer or whatever.

ETA - tl;dr : this is the map for comparing which counties are “hot” or “cool” vs the rest of the state. Not the map for showing # of cases going up or down.

Last edited by carlitos; 18th July 2020 at 08:46 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 09:02 AM   #464
Aridas

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
It makes no sense. For schools that reopen, it's almost certain there will be multiple news stories where a majority of teachers and administrators in a school get the virus. Odds of this helping him are tiny and the results would be minor, odds of it hurting are high, and the results could be significant. Seems like a terrible bet.
And on social media spread, just a few kids getting brain damaged by COVID because of school spread would blow up like crazy.

With that said, it makes sense just fine in the Trump context. He's not looking at the larger picture, as usual. He pretty much never looks at the larger picture when it comes to things like this, as he's especially proven throughout the COVID saga. He's focusing on trying to keep the US looking like it's okay and normal while not actually dealing with the reasons for why it's not, beyond a few Hail Mary moves. He's about appearances of things going well, not substance.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
ETA - tl;dr : this is the map for comparing which counties are “hot” or “cool” vs the rest of the state. Not the map for showing # of cases going up or down.
A good point, but this does need restated -

Not that anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt in Georgia,
Kemp and the Republicans, at least. Literally putting day new case counts out of order to try to make things look rosier for example, among everything else, is grounds to offer them no more benefit of the doubt.
Old 18th July 2020, 09:07 AM   #465
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost terrifying that trump is this stupid.

There is no plan, and yes, it is terrifying that Trump is that stupid.

Trump doesn't actually plan. He wishes. He proclaims. He says things that he wants to be true, and declares that they are true.

I wonder how he actually ended up getting golf courses and skyscrapers built. It's possible to do that, I suppose, with pure wishful thinking and a boatload of startup cash.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 18th July 2020 at 09:09 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 09:12 AM   #466
Aridas

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
There is no plan, and yes, it is terrifying that Trump is that stupid.

Trump doesn't actually plan. He wishes. He proclaims. He says things that he wants to be true, and declares that they are true.

I wonder how he actually ended up getting golf courses and skyscrapers built. It's possible to do that, I suppose, with pure wishful thinking and a boatload of startup cash.
Conning, delegation, and stuff along the lines of "We have all the funding we need out of Russia."
Old 18th July 2020, 09:14 AM   #467
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Not that anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt in Georgia, but a lot of automated software for graphic or visualization sets a scale with parameters around what constitutes a red zone or green zone depending on the data. It certainly might not be that someone actually manipulated. It seems more likely to me that the software does it based on the variance up or down.

In other words, if the state has more cases across all of the counties, but certain counties are still more than the other ones in proportion, The color scheme would look essentially the same from period to period, even though all of the numbers are higher. That’s just the nature of this kind of data visualization. In other words, it’s not the right tool for you to look at Absolute number case increases.

My opinion only - note that if I were sharing this data set, I would have explained that to whoever was viewing it or put some kind of disclaimer or whatever.

Those are weird cutoffs. It's plausibly due to automation but I'm not convinced. We would need to analyze the underlying data to get a better sense.

Either way, the color choice is hugely misleading. Everything a nice cool shade of blue except for the little red spots.
Old 18th July 2020, 09:56 AM   #468
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Donald J. Trump Tweets-
In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open! Fox News link
I've suspected for a long time -- and I think at some future date (after trump is out of office) -- we'll find out what behind-the-scenes role corporate supporters played in trump's various responses to the pandemic.

I don't have a link but several months ago I read an interesting piece in The New Yorker magazine. It was written by a journalist who wrote a book about the entrepreneurs and private investment traders who were financing the new 'start-ups' and thereby becoming very wealthy. Most of them were pretty young -- in their thirties -- and very outgoing and gregarious. The writer remained friendly with some of them, Millennials who travel a lot and use social media to stay connected with one another. Apparently they considered the journalist to be a 'pretty cool dude' and they invited him to log on to their various social media accounts and stay in touch, which he did.

He wrote that, back in March they were almost uniformly aghast at the prospect of shutdowns and the effect it would have on business and the economy. He said they all argued. 'Let the virus take its course. So we're all sick for a few weeks and then it's over. Shutting down the economy is crazy.'

Of course, none of them were saying this publicly. They're very smart guys (they were all men) and they knew it wouldn't play well with the general public. But you wonder, behind-the-scenes, how much pressure has been exerted on trump and some of these Republican governors, to end the lockdowns and get things going economically. trump and the Republican party get a lot of PAC money and campaign contributions from corporate donors. The one group even donald trump won't openly defy.

This is from a website named Forward Kentucky.
Quote:
Ed Kilgore of New York magazine connected the dots among the protests in Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio. While the protests (all on the same day) originally seemed spontaneous, they weren’t, of course — any more than the Tea Party protests were spontaneous. That uprising was underwritten by the Kochs and other ultra-conservative families in the 0.1% who yearned for an America that looks less like the America of the 1950s and more like the Brazil of 1890s. Jane Mayer of The New Yorker even wrote an award-winning book about it. Forward Kentucky link
Remember how trump immediately tweeted support for the protests and attacked Michigan's governor because she wouldn't knuckle under?
Quote:
Donald J. Trump tweets-
Apr 17 LIBERATE MICHIGAN! Twitter link
Old 18th July 2020, 11:17 AM   #469
carlitos
"más divertido"

You may be right on this. Given that context, the big chains moving to mask requirements for their customers, even in states that don't have mandates, are acting logically in their self-interest. Keeping the economy open is their goal; not symbolism or culture wars about masks.

If anyone hasn't yet read Jane Mayer's Dark Money, pick up a copy between now and November.
Old 18th July 2020, 11:45 AM   #470
Armitage72
Illuminator

Those are weird cutoffs. It's plausibly due to automation but I'm not convinced. We would need to analyze the underlying data to get a better sense.

Either way, the color choice is hugely misleading. Everything a nice cool shade of blue except for the little red spots.

Someone on another forum noted that the proportions for each category changed too. The blue sections got larger while the red section got smaller.

"The lower (blue) ranges got proportionally larger in the second chart (the lowest tier is the left hand chart only 14% of the total, but in the right hand chart is 18% of the total, the second tier accounts for 10% of the total on the left, and 12% on the right, etc.). That has the result of reducing the portion of the results values that show up in red."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 12:04 PM   #471
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Funny carlitos mentioned face masks. In the magazine article I mentioned reading, the writer often 'chatted' with some of the young private investment traders he'd met (often via a private email network they had set up). Back in March when the Covid-19 pandemic was picking up steam, one of the traders, a guy that the writer had become especially friendly with, mentioned having started to follow news of the epidemic in China back in December when word began to come out. The trader said he had often invested in medical businesses, had made a lot of money that way and had become 'very tuned in' to various economic opportunities. The writer's reaction was like, "Oh don't tell me."

Yes in late December, early January, the investor got a 'hunch' this virus was going to spread and become a big problem. What did he do? He began looking at companies that manufactured PPE, companies with an international sales presence. He quickly found one he "liked a lot." He bought up a huge amount of their stock and by February that investment had already earned him several million dollars. The writer said, "Oh man, you make money from everything." He said the investor -- who I think is still in his 30s -- said something like, "Dude, come on. It's what I do. I've lost some serious money too. I'm not infallible."
Old 18th July 2020, 12:22 PM   #472
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

They've changed the threshold for how light blue, blue etc. are picked. First map, light blue is 1-620. Second map, light blue is 1-949. The red starts at 2961 in the first map, 3769 in the second. IOW the red "hot zone" is not comparable to the red in the first map. One of these maps on its own would show you the rankings among counties, but comparing the maps is highly misleading.

Counties that were red in the first map can fall out of red in the second map, even if they have increased transmission. If the parameters were kept the same there would be more red counties in the second map.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 12:52 PM   #473
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I think you answered your own question there.

As far as I can tell, small children might be of negligible risk to contract OR spread Covid 19. It doesn't get much of a toe-hold in the "under 10" group. But it would be experimenting with our smallest children if we decided to open K-3 or K-5. Also they're less likely to adhere to PPE, distancing etc. In high school, presumably, the kids would be more able to comply, but with each passing year they become more likely to contract and spread the virus.

It's counterintuitive if you're used to kids getting and passing on the "crud" that afflicts schools so much during, say, flu season. But it's possible, in terms Covid 19, there is a protective bubble around small kids. Obviously it's not ironclad.

But even if it were, small people still need adult supervision and rather a lot of straight-up care, so staffing ratios are higher with littler kids. I'm exposed more to adults when working in a school, and those adults picking up their kids are out doing their jobs, and we personally hand the kids off to their rides at the end of the day. Setting a hard deadline for getting totally back to normal is not safe IMO as long as new cases are still rising, which is what Trump wants to do. But at least with this one disease, schools may not be quite the Petri dishes we envision with colds, flu, stomach viruses etc.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:33 PM   #474
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

First, I think trump is spinning the school issue, trying to frame it in a way that will appeal to his base. That Democrats want the schools to remain closed, while Republicans want them reopened. Only I don't find that to be true. I find almost everyone wants the schools to reopen -- with the exception of a few districts, and some big ones, that do seem to prefer virtual learning for the immediate future -- but the key is reopening safely. Even in places like Oklahoma the state school superintendent has criticized trump's attitude. State Superintendent Joy Hofmeister said trump threatening to penalize states that don’t “open” public schools for the fall semester “aren’t helpful.” Even Fox News has reported on the difficulties facing school districts.
Quote:
"It’s expensive to reopen schools, to buy equipment, to pay for extra cleaning, you’re going to have to clean your schools a lot more, so I think people are aware of that now," said Phyllis Jordan, editorial director for Georgetown University-based think tank Future Ed, which has tracked education-funding relief in the time of COVID-19. Fox News link
trump never talks about any of that because I really don't think he cares very much about public school kids. This is a man who used to brag about avoiding having to take care of his own kids when they were young. He used to say that was his wife's job; his job was to supply "money." As he once said to Howard Stern during an interview, "Can you see me pushing a baby carriage down Fifth Avenue? I don't think so!"

Someone posted a quote -- somewhere in this thread -- about the business necessity to get the 'kids back in school.' That when kids stay home so does at least one parent. I think that's part of why trump has seemed to latch onto the 'reopen our schools!' meme. Because the corporate world wants it and trump's their boy. I think it all ties into the economy. I think we all know, when it comes to the economy, that's something trump really does care about. A lot!
Old 18th July 2020, 03:01 PM   #475
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, this development sucks.
Quote:
More than 80 children under 2 years old, most of them younger than 1 year old, have tested positive for the coronavirus in one Texas county, a local public health official announced, as the United States set a single-day record in the tally of new cases.

The public health director in Nueces County on the Texas Gulf Coast said 85 children under 2 years old, including 52 younger than a year old, have tested positive for the virus.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:03 PM   #476
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

https://i.imgur.com/hvrROMf.jpg
Took me half a minute. Clever. This is what we can expect Trump to do with the federal data.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:05 PM   #477
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Pretty sure he can't think that far into the future.

Old 18th July 2020, 03:07 PM   #478
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Would that be in the fine print?

Old 18th July 2020, 03:42 PM   #479
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Took me half a minute. Clever. This is what we can expect Trump to do with the federal data.
And it certainly seems deliberate. At first I wondered if they just chose the highest value for each date and binned everything below it into 6 equal groupings. But the binning is not equal and the cutoffs appear to be chosen to obscure the big rise in the number of cases.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 06:51 PM   #480
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday the United States reported an all-time high for new cases with over 75,000. Almost 15,000 of those cases were in Texas. Below are some quotes from NBC affiliate KXAN-TV in Austin. The news story was filed last night and it is very grim:

Quote:
On Friday, Texas reported a record 174 new coronavirus deaths. The state is now averaging over 100 COVID-19 deaths a day, and researchers warn those daily death numbers are expected to continue to climb...Dr. Spencer Fox, Associate Director of the University of Texas at Austin COVID-19 Modeling Consortium [said] “It’s clear the pandemic has been surging in Texas for about the past four weeks, and we can see through looking at the hospitalization trends how they’ve increased over the past four weeks. We expect mortality, therefore, to follow that hospitalization, so we should expect mortality to continue to increase for at least four weeks.”

Local and state officials are preparing for a worst case scenario, trying to make sure there’s enough room to store bodies as death rates from COVID-19 continue to climb. The Texas Division of Emergency Management has 14 mortuary trucks coming from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. TDEM Spokesperson told KXAN the trucks will be sent to different areas of Texas and be ready, just in case a city or county needs to use it. KXAN link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tx New cases 07172020.jpg (38.8 KB, 14 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics