ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 21st July 2020, 06:35 PM   #561
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Yeah. He and Eisenhower were the only ones who looked like the really can throw.

ETA: And if Trump is worried he'll look much worse than Obama, then he's in a really pathetic shape.
Ha! Obama might have thrown it high and wide, but I'd bet Trump couldn't get it all the way to the plate.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 06:43 PM   #562
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Businesses that reopen in states where the government is pushing it probably should be immune to COVID-19 lawsuits since not reopening leaves them open to being destroyed by competitors that do. They should still do everything they can to protect their employees, but if the government claims reopening is safe - even if they're completely wrong - I don't know how businesses can be held to a higher standard.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Most states have no fault worker's comp laws. You can't sue but proving you got infected on the job is easier to do. So liability immunity would do little for workers.

Not protecting workers could lead to big OSHA* fines. (*Some states have their own agencies like WISHA and CalOSHA.)

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 06:45 PM   #563
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
... I would have preferred "wear masks and social distance" but at least he got the mask memo.
Baby steps.

Old 21st July 2020, 08:47 PM   #564
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

At least one politician is doing something about the COVID pandemic.

Quote:
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards announced last week that he was calling for three days of prayer and fasting because of the coronavirus pandemic in the state.

Louisiana's numbers have continued to climb statewide. If the state continues on its current trajectory, it could see 100,000 cases by the end of this week.

During Edwards' Thursday press conference, he said he would be doing a lunch fast and praying for three days in a row and encouraged others to do so as well.
Should be over in no time.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 10:32 PM   #565
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't know why they didn't pray for it to end sooner.

Old 21st July 2020, 11:08 PM   #566
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
It's not all that complicated.

Let's say you have two businesses that sell the same widget. As long as both businesses remain closed, neither has an advantage in that respect. If the government is ordering continued closure, both will hopefully have access to the same avenues of relief.

Now, let's say some idiot governor decides it's time to allow the widget businesses to reopen despite the pandemic worsening. If business A opens but business B remains closed (for good reason), the former now has the advantage. Also, since there is no longer a government mandate for closure, business B will likely not be offered anymore relief (from the government, creditors, landlords, etc.) despite making a responsible choice. Business B isn't going to last long under those conditions unless they relent and reopen despite the risks.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 11:15 PM   #567
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post

Let's say you have two businesses that sell the same widget. As long as both businesses remain closed, neither has an advantage in that respect. If the government is ordering continued closure, both will hopefully have access to the same avenues of relief.

Now, let's say some idiot governor decides it's time to allow the widget businesses to reopen despite the pandemic worsening. If business A opens but business B remains closed (for good reason), the former now has the advantage. Also, since there is no longer a government mandate for closure, business B will likely not be offered anymore relief (from the government, creditors, landlords, etc.) despite making a responsible choice. Business B isn't going to last long under those conditions unless they relent and reopen despite the risks.
I'm not sure.

One opens, anything can happen from an outbreak related to the business or people simply not coming.

Later after time goes by, say the business was successful and the second one opens. Why would people not go to both businesses equally like they did before?

Old 21st July 2020, 11:28 PM   #568
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

I'm not sure.

One opens, anything can happen from an outbreak related to the business or people simply not coming.
If its a product people want or need, that they either can't get on-line (or they don't want a delay) then they will go to the store that is open.

And even if they don't get ALL the customers they would normally get, having some customers is better than having no customers (since having some income is better than having no income).
Quote:
Later after time goes by, say the business was successful and the second one opens. Why would people not go to both businesses equally like they did before?
2 possibilities...
- There is no guarantee that the closed store will actually survive, with no income for an extended period of time
- Even if the second store survives the closure, once it opens up it may not get as many customers. Some of its customer base may have started to go to the store that was open earlier and decided that they like the service, or have established some sort of relationship that is not easy to change.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:45 PM   #569
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Repubs don't think people are dying of covid:
Quote:
But the number of Americans now doubting the death toll (31%) has risen sizably from the 23% who questioned the numbers in May, Axios reported.

What’s more, this skepticism is largely divided along political lines. Most Republicans in this survey (59%) believe that the death count is inflated, which is up from 40% in May. The number of independent doubters also rose, climbing from 24% to 32%. Democrats, on the other hand, are the most likely to trust the official count, with just 9% thinking it’s too high — a slight uptick from 7% in May.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ro...of2&yptr=yahoo
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:09 PM   #570
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I read something similar in a blog that was linked here. The blogger wrote that, in the U.S. according to public health officials there are roughly 7,500 deaths per day. The right wing blogger wondered, because 1,039 people died from coronavirus yesterday in the U.S. why is that so important? How about the other almost 6,500 people who died. We're not suggesting businesses shut down for them. Why do we have to shut down the economy for people who die of coronavirus?

The one statement he made I agreed with was, when he added, "It makes no sense." Agreed, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:15 PM   #571
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I read something similar in a blog that was linked here. The blogger wrote that, in the U.S. according to public health officials there are roughly 7,500 deaths per day. The right wing blogger wondered, because 1,039 people died from coronavirus yesterday in the U.S. why is that so important? How about the other almost 6,500 people who died. We're not suggesting businesses shut down for them. Why do we have to shut down the economy for people who die of coronavirus?

The one statement he made I agreed with was, when he added, "It makes no sense." Agreed, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
I read a story about Angela Merkel yesterday, and the success Germany has had with the coronavirus. The big thing that was featured in the story as a secret to her success was that she got on television and explained things, accurately.

I don't mind that people ask questions like the above. If you don't think about it too much, it almost makes sense. The big problem is that in the US, there's no one to answer them.

And, of course, there's lots of people to answer them, but there isn't an authoritative voice to provide a coherent and consistent answer. Even if the White House doesn't provide an answer to that question, Fox News could, if they wanted to. CNN could. So could NBC. For all I know, they already have, but probably it was put out as a political story, not a scientific one. We don't have non-partisan media here to provide that sort of information.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 22nd July 2020 at 01:18 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:42 PM   #572
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

We don't have non-partisan media here to provide that sort of information.
Yes we do. We just also have partisan media constantly screaming that we don't.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:47 PM   #573
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure.

Business operates on quarterly results and market share. If customers get accustomed to going to Widgeter A instead of B, A will make more money, giving it an advantage over B, and it will attract B's customers. Those customers would have no obvious reason to switch back, unless B offered lower prices or better service, which they would have less money to provide.

Imagine Home Depot closing for six months and Lowe's operating full-blast. You think that wouldn't have long-term consequences?

One reason for having national regulations on matters like safety and pollution is that if compliance is voluntary, the businesses who would spend money to do the right thing would be underpriced by the corner-cutters and shady operators. Regulation puts everybody on the same footing.

Last edited by Bob001; 22nd July 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:49 PM   #574
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Yes we do. We just also have partisan media constantly screaming that we don't.
I just don't see it. Fox is certainly partisan. CNN in print isn't horribly awful. My biggest exposure to CNN before Covid was their prime time lineup that I saw at the gym. They were terrible. Just as bad as Fox.

Maybe Google News isn't the best way to consume media. That's where I see most reporting. What I see there in the national news segments is almost all highly partisan, and that's even after I blocked WaPo and NYT.

The stories that come from ABC/NBC/CBS and Usa Today seem ok.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:50 PM   #575
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I read a story about Angela Merkel yesterday, and the success Germany has had with the coronavirus. The big thing that was featured in the story as a secret to her success was that she got on television and explained things, accurately.
The smartest thing Trump could have done -- and the best for the country -- would have been for him to hold a press conference around March 1 to introduce Dr. Fauci and say "He's the expert. He's in charge. I'm doing what he says, and everybody else should do the same." Then sit down.
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:55 PM   #576
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I don't agree that news sources like NBC News or CBS or USAToday are partisan news organizations that politicize everything they report. I don't agree that the average American was uninformed by mainstream media as to the nature of an epidemic, the contagiousness of Covid-19, that it was and is many times more deadly than common flu. That unless society took extraordinary steps there was a danger of mass illness on a scale that would wreak havoc.

The information was and is out there. I find it ridiculous to blame the media or political leaders in general because some idiot blogger doesn't understand the dynamics of an epidemic. That's the Catch-22. How much do you want bet the blogger DOES understand the difference between people dying everyday of natural causes, of heart disease or cancer and a new and frightening virus for which there is no effective treatment nor a vaccine. He's pretending not to understand because he's a right winger and he wants to attack 'the establishment.' He's writing for other right wingers who want to READ attacks on the establishment.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:59 PM   #577
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I just don't see it. Fox is certainly partisan. CNN in print isn't horribly awful. My biggest exposure to CNN before Covid was their prime time lineup that I saw at the gym. They were terrible. Just as bad as Fox.

Maybe Google News isn't the best way to consume media. That's where I see most reporting. What I see there in the national news segments is almost all highly partisan, and that's even after I blocked WaPo and NYT.

The stories that come from ABC/NBC/CBS and Usa Today seem ok.
The key difference between Fox and CNN is that Anderson Cooper, Chris Cuomo etc. report actual facts and comment on them, and talk to experts about the issues. Fox spouts blatant, provable lies and promotes ranting fools as important sources.

Telling you facts that you don't like or don't want to hear is not partisan. It's journalism.

Last edited by Bob001; 22nd July 2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 22nd July 2020, 02:10 PM   #578
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If its a product people want or need, that they either can't get on-line (or they don't want a delay) then they will go to the store that is open.

And even if they don't get ALL the customers they would normally get, having some customers is better than having no customers (since having some income is better than having no income).

2 possibilities...
- There is no guarantee that the closed store will actually survive, with no income for an extended period of time
- Even if the second store survives the closure, once it opens up it may not get as many customers. Some of its customer base may have started to go to the store that was open earlier and decided that they like the service, or have established some sort of relationship that is not easy to change.
This is silly, IMO. If a store can open, most will. Some businesses are not going to survive this economic hit no matter what.

I can't see many people switching stores/restaurants because they get into the habit of going to a different one. They are going to go back to the places they went before because there were reasons they went to the primary business in the first place: closer, has the ambiance the customer likes, sells the products the customer likes and so on.

Old 22nd July 2020, 02:18 PM   #579
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Imagine Home Depot closing for six months and Lowe's operating full-blast. You think that wouldn't have long-term consequences?....
Nonsense. You think people are that shallow?

I drove out of my way to go to Lowes while HD is right down the street. It was a political decision. Now that Lowes is closed. It's too far for me to go to other Lowes.

If a Lowes opens back up nearby, I'll go there.

HD has different items and lower prices. The reason Lowes went out of business here was because of their location off the main traffic area and prices.

No one is attached to one or the other because they are used to going there.

Old 22nd July 2020, 02:20 PM   #580
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

This is silly, IMO. If a store can open, most will. Some businesses are not going to survive this economic hit no matter what.

I can't see many people switching stores/restaurants because they get into the habit of going to a different one. They are going to go back to the places they went before because there were reasons they went to the primary business in the first place: closer, has the ambiance the customer likes, sells the products the customer likes and so on.
The premise was that one business opens and the competitor remains closed for an extended time, not a weekend. Customer loyalty only goes so far, especially if the one with the advantage uses it effectively.
Old 22nd July 2020, 02:20 PM   #581
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fox is blatantly politically biased. The other MSN broadcast stations are merely scandal and controversy biased because that sells the commodity they market.

Old 22nd July 2020, 02:21 PM   #582
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I don't agree that news sources like NBC News or CBS or USAToday are partisan news organizations that politicize everything they report.
I backed off a little bit on my initial statement by noting that the ones that you mentioned seemed ok.

They don't seem as prominent in my google news feed as CNN, NYT, WaPo, or Fox, at least before I blocked NYT and WaPo. (Fox is no better, and is probably worst of all, but I read conservative sources as a "Know thine enemy" approach.)

And yes, the information is out there. I just wish it were more prominent.

Above all, I really do blame the President. There's only one true bully pulpit in the USA, and he has used it very, very, badly.

Right at the beginning, I contrasted his statement with Gretchen Whitmer's. Governor Whitmer cut into prime time in early March to announce the State of Emergency on the day Michigan reported it's first confirmed case. Sitting next to her was the top Michigan health official. She made a statement about the proclamation, and then turned it over to the health official.

That just seems so obvious to me as the best thing to do, but Trump, and others, would rather hog the spotlight. It's just a bad idea. He'll pay for it, politically, I think, but the country pays for it in lives.
Old 22nd July 2020, 02:26 PM   #583
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump's sending troops to Chicago but ignores the coronavirus disaster.

Old 22nd July 2020, 02:26 PM   #584
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense. You think people are that shallow?
I wouldn't say shallow. But I would say most consumers most of the time are motivated by price and convenience. That's how Walmart laid waste to small businesses in communities across the country. How much more will you pay for a widget from Andy's Hardware on Main Street, the one that closes at 6 every day and isn't open Sundays, vs. a comparable product from a 24-hour Walmart?

All of this rapidly becomes academic when you consider how much retail shopping is now done online. If you can get the same widget from Lowe's and Home Depot, it doesn't matter where their retail stores are or even if they're open. Chances are you'll decide by price and speed of delivery.

Last edited by Bob001; 22nd July 2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:28 PM   #585
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...CNN, NYT, WaPo, or Fox, at least before I blocked NYT and WaPo...
The New York Times and the Washington Post are award-winning newspapers of international acclaim with very high journalistic standards. Lumping them in with Fox News -- Fox News, seriously? -- seems pretty naive.

Back in March I watched Fox News' Jeanine Pirro assure her audience that coronavirus was no more serious than the "common cold." She fairly yelled it. If a columnist at the Times or Post had written something that blatantly false the two papers probably would have printed a disclaimer and a fact check. I'm sorry, I don't see that the Post and Times compare with Fox News in any manner, shape or form.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 22nd July 2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 22nd July 2020, 06:11 PM   #586
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The New York Times and the Washington Post are award-winning newspapers of international acclaim with very high journalistic standards. Lumping them in with Fox News -- Fox News, seriously? -- seems pretty naive.

Back in March I watched Fox News' Jeanine Pirro assure her audience that coronavirus was no more serious than the "common cold." She fairly yelled it. If a columnist at the Times or Post had written something that blatantly false the two papers probably would have printed a disclaimer and a fact check. I'm sorry, I don't see that the Post and Times compare with Fox News in any manner, shape or form.
What I found with WaPo and NYT was not about errors within the story, but selective reporting and emphasis. "TRUMP SAYS SOMETHING WRONG IN AN OFFHAND REMARK" isn't really headline worthy, but I read that story a whole bunch of times as if it were important news.

At any rate, I found their stories sufficiently tedious that eliminating them as sources made things improve. Obviously, both papers have tremendous reputations, and I used to read them in print at least occasionally, back when bookstores sold newspapers, and the New York Times was circulated nationwide. I just don't see a reason to do that anymore.
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:31 PM   #587
carlitos
"más divertido"

If you want to know things, avoiding the NYT and WaPo might not be your best move.

Try Trump, Inc., which is a combo deal with PROpublica.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:41 PM   #588
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
If you want to know things, avoiding the NYT and WaPo might not be your best move.

Try Trump, Inc., which is a combo deal with PROpublica.
It might be that google news is just a biased filter, tending to favor stories and/or headlines with an anti-Trump slant.

I know that before I got them off of my feed, I could read a headline and know it was from one of those two sources, and I can still do it with Fox. Generally it was when they were blowing up something all out of proportion to make Trump look bad, that was WaPo or NYT.

I still have plenty of headlines about Trump being wrong, because he's wrong a lot, but the tone isn't as strident and the offenses against reality are more significant.

As for Fox, anything that sounds pro-Trump, when all the related headlines are neutral or anti-Trump, is Fox.

And....the really good news.....Fox isn't dependable like that anymore. Even Fox is saying neutral to bad things about him. That's why Trump has been critical of them.

Speaking of which:

I just saw a video of excerpts from his interview with Chris Wallace. The video was from the Lincoln Project. All they did was take the statements that made Trump sound stupid, and played them along with music and a laugh track. Funny stuff.

I don't know if they actually edited the answers to make them misleading. I don't think they did. They cherry picked his answers, for sure, but I'm sure they were all his words, and I don't think they changed the meaning in the editing.

When your Fox News interview ends up in a Lincoln Project commercial, you don't have the friends you used to have at Fox News.
Old 22nd July 2020, 08:43 PM   #589
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I suppose I should start a thread in the CT forum but I can't help but wonder if someone isn't sneaking antibody plasma to the Trump family. Kimberly Guifoyle is suspiciously completely well.

People: Kimberly Guilfoyle Meets with Donald Trump Less Than 3 Weeks After Testing Positive for Coronavirus She's looking quite well.
Quote:
Kimberly Guilfoyle visited the White House on Tuesday, two and a half weeks after she tested positive for the novel coronavirus. Kimberly Guilfoyle visited the White House on Tuesday, two and a half weeks after she tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

Guilfoyle, who is dating Donald Trump Jr., shared photos on Instagram Wednesday from a virtual fundraising event that the couple hosted on Tuesday.

"Amazing day raising money with @donaldjtrumpjr and @realdonaldtrump in our first ever Virtual fundraiser with the President," Guilfoyle wrote in the caption for a series of posts from the day. No one was wearing masks in the photos, though she and Trump appeared to be seated six feet apart.
Either that or the whole family (inner circle) have been vaccinated already.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 22nd July 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:05 PM   #590
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What I found with WaPo and NYT was not about errors within the story, but selective reporting and emphasis. "TRUMP SAYS SOMETHING WRONG IN AN OFFHAND REMARK" isn't really headline worthy, but I read that story a whole bunch of times as if it were important news.

Nothing the President says is an "offhand" remark, especially when he says it in public, and especially when it supports the compelling evidence that Trump is stupid, ignorant, corrupt and delusional. Trump has a long history of saying outrageous things, then claiming "Oh, I was just kidding!"

The media aren't partisan or biased just because they're telling you something you don't want to hear.
Quote:
It’s no longer a question as to whether President Trump will exceed 20,000 false or misleading claims by the time his current term is completed. Instead, we have to ask: Will he top 25,000?

As of May 29, his 1,226th day in office, Trump had made 19,127 false or misleading claims, according to the Fact Checker’s database that analyzes, categorizes and tracks every suspect statement he has uttered. That’s almost 16 claims a day over the course of his presidency. So far this year, he’s averaging just over 22 claims a day, similar to the pace he set in 2019.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ims-1226-days/

Last edited by Bob001; 22nd July 2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:10 PM   #591
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Either that or the whole family (inner circle) have been vaccinated already.
Why would you say that? It's pretty clear that a lot of people can get covid without getting very sick, and some don't even get sick enough to know there's any problem at all. Odds are that a young, healthy woman would suffer pretty mild effects.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:45 PM   #592
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Why would you say that? It's pretty clear that a lot of people can get covid without getting very sick, and some don't even get sick enough to know there's any problem at all. Odds are that a young, healthy woman would suffer pretty mild effects.
According to Wiki she's 51.

I'm not saying it's obvious. I'm just saying I wonder if that's why Trump Jr and his girlfriend haven't been that sick. And Trump has been exposed a number of times without getting it.

Old 22nd July 2020, 11:27 PM   #593
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I suppose I should start a thread in the CT forum but I can't help but wonder if someone isn't sneaking antibody plasma to the Trump family. Kimberly Guifoyle is suspiciously completely well.
Mmm... Honestly, I wouldn't call that suspicious at all. Most cases, especially for healthy women of her age group, aren't serious at all, and it's been notably more than the supposedly up to 10 days of infectiousness after symptom onset.
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:02 AM   #594
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's sending troops to Chicago but ignores the coronavirus disaster.
It's distraction. He's trying to prove he's the Law and Order President.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:55 AM   #595
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Health officials have been warning since last Spring that we need (needed)
to get the coronavirus numbers flattened out before the Fall Flu season begins.

The highlighted part is what health officials are worried about. The stress
on hospitals if we have high numbers of active coronavirus cases when the
Flu season starts. Already we're seeing healthcare systems stressed in Texas
and Georgia. Especially given the fact, patients with coronavirus have to be
isolated, the logistics could be difficult to deal with.

Pretty clear they thinking it’s additive. Whereas I think the evolutionary
competition between the two viruses will lead to an abnormally small
number of flu cases this and next year. Well, we’ll see what happens.

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
More like 34% are happy to see others die for the cause. Republicans are
already accustomed to believing all the negative effects of policy will fall on
someone else while they will personally reap all the benefits. Eg the elderly
voting form Republicans espousing “entitlement reform” never seem to care
that social security and Medicare would be cut because Republicans tell them
the cuts will only apply to other people.

Since they are already accustomed to this type of thinking it’s pretty easy
to convince Republicans that “you will not be the one who dies and you will
reap the economic benefits of their sacrifice”.

Spot on. I just read an article on that.

Quote:

Rand Paul Calls For Cuomo To Be Impeached Over Coronavirus Response by Kaelan Deese

Commenting on recently reimposed restrictions in states that are seeing
new COVID-19 spikes, Paul said individuals "need to assess their own risks
with regard to the virus," saying that for "those under 18, the risk of mortality
is about one in a million or a little bit less. For those ages 18 to 45, it's about
10 out of 100,000 for the mortality.

Clearly not dividing deaths by exposure here, but rather total population.

Looks like the virus will split the Republican Party into central and costal divisions.

Can the rift be healed?
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:48 AM   #596
Armitage72
Illuminator

The infection spikes have been caused by protestors and Mexicans, not premature reopenings.

Quote:
President Donald Trump on Wednesday blamed a dramatic uptick in U.S. coronavirus cases on young people who attended nationwide protests over police brutality, summer holidays, a "substantial increase in travel" and migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, even though his own advisers have also attributed the surge to some states' early reopenings.

"There are likely a number of causes for the spike in infections. Cases started to rise among young Americans shortly after demonstrations, which you know very well about, which presumably triggered a broader relaxation of mitigation efforts nationwide"

"We're also sharing a 2,000 mile border with Mexico as we know very well and cases are surging in Mexico ... it's a big problem for Mexico but cases are surging very sharply and all across the rest of the Western Hemisphere. "

He's also just recently discovered what the experts have been saying from the start.

Quote:
"I'm finding more and more people are saying wash your hands. So wash your hands," he added.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:45 AM   #597
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Full disclosure - I'm not going to do this; I have more important things to do.

If I were to show you that the color scheme and parameters were the default settings for that piece of graphics software, would it change your mind?
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's hard to believe, but yes. What software is it?
Hmm. It's not like that's a trick question. Nor is it a difficult question that would measurably hinder the more important things you have to do, should you post the answer.

Last edited by varwoche; 23rd July 2020 at 06:53 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:28 AM   #598
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Survival potential will determine whether South Texas county hospital takes in COVID-19 patients

'We cannot continue functioning the way things are going. The numbers are staggering,'

*sighs*
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:31 AM   #599
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
DEATH PANELS!!!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:39 AM   #600
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Well they got their death panels now.

"Starr County Health Authority Dr. Jose Vazquez said Starr County Memorial Hospital, the county’s only hospital, on Tuesday implemented an ethics committee and a triage committee to review all coronavirus patients as they come in to determine what type of life-saving equipment and treatment they would likely require and whether they would likely survive. Those deemed too fragile or sick or elderly will be advised to go home to loved ones, he said."
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics