ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Trump supporters

Old 23rd September 2020, 02:24 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Trump/Republican Support is Misanthropy

I've been mulling over a hypothesis for some time that supporting Trump and Republicans is an act of misanthropy.

Even the very rich who support them from pure selfishness tend to indicate misanthropy, because a part of selfishness would be the desire to leave an inhabitable world for their descendants. The likes of Chuck Feeney, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, et al, who have actively donated billions to altruistic causes, while the Robert Mercers & Kochs of the world seek only to destroy, even at the cost of their descendants' future.

Here are some stereotypical Trump supporters:

Considering the party these people support is the party of Reds Under the Beds! and Joseph McCarthy, I'm guessing they don't understand irony, but more important is the fact that they prefer a kleptocratic oligarchy to an elected government. These people and their cronies describe a "Marxist Revolution" if Biden is elected, which shows they can't even think straight - I know a few classical Marxists and Biden sure as hell isn't Marxist.

The supporters sit idly by and watch as Trump & Republicans demolish statutes and preserved land with equal glee, despite them getting no benefit from the changes whatsoever.

The only interpretation I can come up with is that these people hate themselves and their species so much that they want to destroy it for all mankind.

Last edited by The Atheist; 23rd September 2020 at 02:25 PM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:31 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I've been mulling over a hypothesis for some time that supporting Trump and Republicans is an act of misanthropy.

Even the very rich who support them from pure selfishness tend to indicate misanthropy, because a part of selfishness would be the desire to leave an inhabitable world for their descendants. The likes of Chuck Feeney, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, et al, who have actively donated billions to altruistic causes, while the Robert Mercers & Kochs of the world seek only to destroy, even at the cost of their descendants' future.

http://charman.co.nz/cupidstunts.png

Considering the party these people support is the party of Reds Under the Beds! and Joseph McCarthy, I'm guessing they don't understand irony, but more important is the fact that they prefer a kleptocratic oligarchy to an elected government. These people and their cronies describe a "Marxist Revolution" if Biden is elected, which shows they can't even think straight - I know a few classical Marxists and Biden sure as hell isn't Marxist.

The supporters sit idly by and watch as Trump & Republicans demolish statutes and preserved land with equal glee, despite them getting no benefit from the changes whatsoever.

The only interpretation I can come up with is that these people hate themselves and their species so much that they want to destroy it for all mankind.
They do want to destroy America and the whole world. They believe that if they can trigger the Apocalypse that Jesus will return and fulfill the biblical prophesies. The truth is that they hate an America that stands for the ideals of peace and prosperity for all, for equality, justice and dignity. They have to destroy America to get what they want. The are totally ******* insane. Religion is insanity.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Have you considered that they might just be stupid?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Venom
Illuminator

President Trump's Pennsylvania rally last night is a perfect one-event representation of the Trump movement.

Portion of the audience cheering his every sentence, others just standing and smiling in tacit approval, laughing at his utterly unfunny (or so unfunny it's funny) jokes. They're drunk on Trump. There's something about a person who is so unbelievably shameless that is interpreted as strength and is well liked by a lot of people. Trump stretches that principle to the furthest extent possible.

And as Ta-Nehisi Coates once wrote, Trump is also America's First White President.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:35 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Foolmewunz did it better.

Or at least earlier.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:52 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Have you considered that they might just be stupid?
"Evil."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I find that avid Trump supporters tend to fall into one of three categories.

To wit:

One: the avid Trump supporter is person who is very stupid,

Two: the avid Trump supporter is a person who hopes to personally benefit from his support,

Three: the avid Trump supporter is a person who is very stupid who hopes to personally benefit from his support of Trump.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 04:55 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Misanthropy" means hatred of humans.
Trump supporters only hat MOST humans.
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:08 PM   #9
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's a mistake to lump them all in the same category and say that "Trump support is ___________".

Trump support can be many things. You've got the people trapped in echo chambers without knowing it, really, genuenly believing Trump is doing a good job, perhaps in part due to desperation. This could be anything from a laid-off factory worker in a town that seems to be about to go under, or someone struggling to pay their medical bills, and desperately hoping it's true that Trump will lower drug prices. A lot of these people will be uneducated, and a lot of them will probably be running on the sunk cost fallacy and wishful thinking. You've also, as Crossbow points out, got the less scrupulous people who see something in it for them.

You've also got authoritarians and racists and outright Neo-Nazis who see Trump as the closest they'll get to a Führer, and envision some sort of white surpremacist revolution where the brown people are kicked out or killed, or conspiracy theorists who see Trump talking to Alex Jones and believe they'll finally see the Deep State exposed and brought down.

Also, you've got the people who just want to watch the world burn, for whatever reason -- to these people, Trump is a weapon. Evangelicals who think they live in the end times, nihilists who believe the US is screwed either way or just want to see leopards eating liberal faces, and whoever else fall into this category. Included in this group is also the people who support Trump because they hate America, or see it as a rival to be impeded. Not as in "libruls hate Merica", but literally, as in, "I'm helping to prop up this idiot because I can see him doing real damage to this country".

These groups overlap, probably a lot. Some of them might be stupid, many might be uneducated, a fair few might be fed up with the whole political system and enjoying seeing Trump pull the rug out from under "the establishment" and implementing something new in its place. But don't think that "Trump support is ____________". That's the kind of generalization that fuels polarization and misunderstandings.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 05:15 PM   #10
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

One thing the majority of Trump supporters do seem to have in common is how they've left reality and consistency behind a long time ago. They don't have positions on, well, anything -- whatever Trump says goes. If Big Brother says two and two equals five, then two and two equals five. They don't care if this makes them have to spin around changing their perceived position on issues big and small on the spot, or if it makes them hold several contradictory positions simultaneously, or if it makes them support something they opposed when Obama did it. Trump embraced Russia, and they all of a sudden find themselves rushing to buy Russian supporter banners.

They've probably also long since realised that this triggers libs, so I'm guessing a fair few do it gleefully rather than reluctantly.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:52 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump supporters suffer from Serotonine deficiency.
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:20 PM   #12
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"Misanthropy" means hatred of humans.
Trump supporters only hat MOST humans.
With a MAGA hat?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 12:11 AM   #13
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

To wit:

Two: the avid Trump supporter is a person who hopes to personally benefit from his support,

Three: the avid Trump supporter is a person who is very stupid who hopes to personally benefit from his support of Trump.
There's a bumpersticker: "One out of three Trump supporters are as stupid as the other two."
Old 24th September 2020, 04:09 AM   #14
rockysmith76
Banned

http://charman.co.nz/cupidstunts.png

And yet if the sterotypical liberal, dirt munching hippy, sjw standard were thrown out here the thread would be doa. Your claim is broad and stereotyping and ignores everyone else, the greens, the libretarians, etc.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 12:53 PM   #15
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
And yet if the sterotypical liberal, dirt munching hippy, sjw standard were thrown out here the thread would be doa.
I don't believe many of those groups support Trump and/or the Republican Party.

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Your claim is broad and stereotyping and ignores everyone else, the greens, the libretarians, etc.
I know a few libertarians support the Republicans, but I'd stake my life on green support for them being less than 1%.

Nice of you to help me make my point by selecting all the groups who don't vote red.
Old 24th September 2020, 05:11 PM   #16
dirtywick
Master Poster

A lot of Trump supporters live in a bubble.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 05:25 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump supporters suffer from Serotonine deficiency.
Serotonine? Please. Our Seroto deficiency goes up to eleven.
Old 24th September 2020, 05:28 PM   #18
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

To wit:

I have to complain about your post.
In speaking of Trump supporters, you used the word 'wit'.

A qualifier like half or dim or something more colorful is required.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:01 AM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
A lot of Trump supporters live in a bubble.
Absolutely. But even living in a bubble, logic and common sense should tell all but the most dimwitted that wearing a mask helps stop the spread of infection. Or do they think doctors and nurses wear them because they don't want patients to know who they are?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:24 AM   #20
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Serotonine? Please. Our Seroto deficiency goes up to eleven.
thanks for conseding the point.
Old 25th September 2020, 07:01 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
thanks for conseding the point.
It's the small happinesses, isn't it? I thought I'd give you this one. Enjoy your weekend, TGZ!
Old 25th September 2020, 07:25 PM   #22
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Absolutely. But even living in a bubble, logic and common sense should tell all but the most dimwitted that wearing a mask helps stop the spread of infection. Or do they think doctors and nurses wear them because they don't want patients to know who they are?
They don’t even listen to Trump directly, they listen to Ben Shapiro explain what Trump says in shareable Facebook videos. They get most of their news in meme format.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics