ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , Mary Trump , presidential candidates , Trump controversies

Old 19th July 2020, 12:13 PM   #321
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'll add that to my list of How to Identify a Lunatic.
Not a lunatic, a sociopath.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 02:45 PM   #322
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The delicious hell of this is that there is no honorable person to refute any of it. The only people in a position to refute any of it retain the Trump presumption of dishonesty. We should assume Mary's claims are true because anyone in a position to refute her claims are just filthy Trumptrash and we all know what their kind are like. Trump's who haven't broken with the family, Trump supporters and Trump voters are known to have serious character flaws and anything they say has to assumed to be dishonest unless backed by someone without their flaws.
Old 19th July 2020, 02:58 PM   #323
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Will anyone's mind be changed by finding out Mary's book includes scratch-and-sniff stickers of the Trump family?
The pop-up section should carry a reader warning.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 04:02 PM   #324
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
The pop-up section should carry a reader warning.
If the Donald trump centerfold didn't scare anyone off, nothing will.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 05:58 PM   #325
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not a lunatic, a sociopath.
Hmm. I had to think about that for a bit.

And then I found: https://thesaurus.plus/related/lunatic/sociopath

Quote:
Sociopath and lunatic are semantically related In some cases you can use "Sociopath" instead a noun "Lunatic".
Old 19th July 2020, 06:11 PM   #326
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm. I had to think about that for a bit.

And then I found: https://thesaurus.plus/related/lunatic/sociopath

"Lunatic" is not a psychological diagnosis while "sociopath" is. Lunatic refers to someone who is "insane". Sociopaths are not "insane". Trump is a sociopath but he is not insane.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 08:04 PM   #327
Venom
Illuminator

I firmly believe Trump is a sociopath and could kill someone or have them killed without a shred of remorse.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 08:20 PM   #328
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I firmly believe Trump is a sociopath and could kill someone or have them killed without a shred of remorse.
He has already. Commenting on the 140000+ deaths and increasing death rates, he said "It is what it is."

He has no empathy.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 08:59 PM   #329
Elagabalus
Philosopher

According to Mary's book, Fred Sr. didn't really care about any of his grandchildren and very little for any of his children other than Donald who was just like him. He was a sociopath who controlled everyone and demanded total loyalty but gave none. Just like Donald. Donald's mother, Mary, was submissive and never, ever stood up to Fred. But, according to Mary, she and her grandmother were very close. One incident that demonstrates the difference between Mary Sr. and Fred Sr: When Mary Jr. was in Columbia graduate school, her apartment was burglarized and her typewriter stolen. She didn't have enough money for a new one and asked for an advance on her allowance to buy one. Fred Sr. refused and told her to 'get a job'. When she told her grandmother, Mary Sr. slipped her a check. Fred Sr. found out when he ran across the canceled check and was furious. Fred Sr. also became angry because he didn't like her endorsed signature...it was too sloppy. She was told to change it.

Now that's interesting. I have to say when I received my $1200 check I was somewhat taken aback by how anal retentive DJT's signature is. A signature should be your chance to shine. Let it all hang out. Make it the best signature evah! Yet, Trump's sig look's like he was trying very hard to get an "A" in penmanship. Now I know why.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 02:36 AM   #330
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
He has already. Commenting on the 140000+ deaths and increasing death rates, he said "It is what it is."

He has no empathy.
What's amazing is that people like him should be locked up, not elected.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 02:59 AM   #331
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What's amazing is that people like him should be locked up, not elected.
He's probably reflecting the view of a sizeable minority of people - if something doesn't affect them, or perhaps someone dear to them, then it really doesn't matter.

I see that played out time and again where people are railing about people getting handouts but as soon as they are in need - well that's a different story.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 03:03 AM   #332
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

He has no empathy.
Playing the fiddle while Rome burns.
Only this time it's two fires at once, protests and a pandemic.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 03:32 AM   #333
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He's probably reflecting the view of a sizeable minority of people - if something doesn't affect them, or perhaps someone dear to them, then it really doesn't matter.

I see that played out time and again where people are railing about people getting handouts but as soon as they are in need - well that's a different story.
But he doesn't even have empathy for that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 04:04 AM   #334
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Finished the book today. Enjoyed the insights, and there is no doubt that Fred Trump Snr was a monster who treated her side of the family appallingly. Donald seems to have treated them pretty much the same as he treats everyone else who isn’t his immediate family, a toady, Fox News or Putin. She was offered the opportunity for revenge, and grabbed it with both hands.

But I had trouble building up too much sympathy for her plight. Her life has been pretty damn good in comparison with ...... just about anyone.

So worth reading. Will it have an impact? Only if Trump launches more spittle-sprayed hate towards Mary. If he does the wise thing (yes I know) and leaves it alone it will have little impact.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 04:29 AM   #335
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Playing the fiddle while Rome burns.
Promoting beans while America burns.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 06:43 AM   #336
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife decided she wants to read it so I've downloaded it for her. Don't know if I will.
Old 20th July 2020, 07:10 AM   #337
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Every news cycle dominated by Mary Trump, or Bolton, or the upcoming Melania tell-all, or the upcoming Woodward book, is a win. Drip, drip, drip.
Old 20th July 2020, 07:43 AM   #338
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Every news cycle dominated by Mary Trump, or Bolton, or the upcoming Melania tell-all, or the upcoming Woodward book, is a win. Drip, drip, drip.

I didn't know there was another Woodward book. But there is.
Quote:
President Donald Trump is about to get the Bob Woodward treatment again.

Woodward's second book about the Trump administration is scheduled for release on September 15 in the lead-up to the November presidential election. The title and cover of the Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter's new book has not yet been released.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/polit...ook/index.html

And the Melania book is by an ex-pal who apparently has the knives out.
Quote:
Following months of legal dramas, threats, and public controversy surrounding multiple different books published by former Trumpworld insiders, yet another blockbuster Trump book is set to hit shelves next month and contain “explosive” revelations about First Lady Melania Trump, authored by her once close adviser and friend of 15 years.

According to people familiar with the project, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff—who was previously seen by the First Lady as a loyal confidant, and had helped plan President Donald Trump’s 2017 inauguration in Washington, DC—will release a tell-all Melania and Me on September 1st.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...on/ar-BB16pmfX

I doubt the Trumpers will be reading either one.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 08:49 AM   #339
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

I doubt the Trumpers will be reading either one.
Have we established that they even know how to read?

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 09:22 AM   #340
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Promoting beans while America burns.
Canned beans are cheap, nutritious and last a long time. The Trumps are giving us advice about how to stock our survival bunkers.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 09:26 AM   #341
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

"Lunatic" is not a psychological diagnosis while "sociopath" is. Lunatic refers to someone who is "insane". Sociopaths are not "insane". Trump is a sociopath but he is not insane.
And that, of course, is a matter of opinion.

Quote:
insanity. n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior. ... It's informed by mental health professionals, but the term today is primarily legal, not psychological.
Old 20th July 2020, 12:19 PM   #342
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And that, of course, is a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Quote:
insanity. n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior. ... It's informed by mental health professionals, but the term today is primarily legal, not psychological.
When used in the common, layman usage meaning he's 'nuts', yes. I think he's 'nuts', too. But he's not insane. He is responsible for his actions. An insane person is not.

I think you'd be hard put to find a mental health professional who would claim Trump is 'insane'. A sociopath? No problem.
Old 20th July 2020, 07:46 PM   #343
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

When used in the common, layman usage meaning he's 'nuts', yes. I think he's 'nuts', too. But he's not insane. He is responsible for his actions. An insane person is not.

I think you'd be hard put to find a mental health professional who would claim Trump is 'insane'. A sociopath? No problem.
Oh I don't know. "cannot distinguish fantasy from reality" and "or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior" both seem to apply.

Old 21st July 2020, 11:21 PM   #344
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
I can't see it that way unfortunately.
You should have endorsed it and sent it to the Biden campaign.
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:38 PM   #345
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"He was strong, but he was good," Trump told Fox News. "For [Mary] to say the kind of things, a psychopath, that he was a psychopath, anybody that knew Fred Trump would call him a psychopath? And you know what, if he was I would tell you."
(People Magazine)

Sure. Lots of people, including mental health experts, say Trump is a psycho/sociopath. If Trump admitted his father was a psycho/sociopath, he'd have to admit he is one, too.
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:10 AM   #346
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningA reminder, this thread is about Mary Trump's book. There are plenty of other threads to discuss Trump in general, or stimulus cheques or other issues.

Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:41 PM   #347
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Did anybody get a count of how many news cycles it ended up being?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 04:17 PM   #348
carrps
Thinker

I just finished it. I can't exactly say I enjoyed it, but it was fascinating. The family called Fred Sr.'s house "The House." It sounded like a House of Horror. Easy to read and well written.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:26 PM   #349
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I just finished it. I can't exactly say I enjoyed it, but it was fascinating. The family called Fred Sr.'s house "The House." It sounded like a House of Horror. Easy to read and well written.
I've seen her on 3 or 4 interviews. SHe is well spoken, direct, and answers the question asked.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:28 PM   #350
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I've seen her on 3 or 4 interviews. SHe is well spoken, direct, and answers the question asked.
Must have taken after her mother's side of the family.
Old 25th July 2020, 05:30 PM   #351
slyjoe
Master Poster

Must have taken after her mother's side of the family.
I thought her father was a nice enough guy.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 06:01 PM   #352
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I thought her father was a nice enough guy.
He seemed like a likeable but rather weak man who was not strong enough to survive such a dysfunctional family with a sociopath for a father.

My comment about taking after her mother's side of the family was mocking Donald's lack of being "well spoken, direct" and "answering the question asked."
Old 26th July 2020, 08:05 AM   #353
slyjoe
Master Poster

He seemed like a likeable but rather weak man who was not strong enough to survive such a dysfunctional family with a sociopath for a father.

My comment about taking after her mother's side of the family was mocking Donald's lack of being "well spoken, direct" and "answering the question asked."
Ah OK.
Old 26th July 2020, 11:52 AM   #354
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I did too. Nothing really surprised me but there's a certain satisfaction in knowing what went so horribly wrong in that family.
Old 26th July 2020, 02:57 PM   #355
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I did too. Nothing really surprised me but there's a certain satisfaction in knowing what went so horribly wrong in that family.
Yeah, I knew most of the bigger points, since I'd seen two or three interviews before I started reading the book. But I found a lot of the little details fascinating. Interesting tidbits like Rob unwrapping a foil package of cream cheese and eating it like a candy bar.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 12:34 AM   #356
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Did anybody get a count of how many news cycles it ended up being?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 02:23 AM   #357
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I listened to two-thirds of Mary Trump's book on Audible.

To me, there were only a few interesting bits.

When Trump was 7, his brother tipped a bowl of potato on his head at a family party dinner.

Mary virtually threw the DSM-5 psychological manual at him and diagnosed him with about a dozen personality/psychological disorders.

Trump's father favoured Trump's brother until the brother started flying planes, got married, and started drinking too much.

Mary said that Trump's father began to give Trump attention when Trump started going round to the rental properties and investigating renters' complaints but not doing anything about them.

The book was read in a rather vehement tone. I think that may have been how it was intended, which I also think detracted from the seriousness it might have aimed at.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 09:28 AM   #358
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife has finished it and recommended I read it. I'm re-reading some Pratchett instead.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:28 PM   #359
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My wife has finished it and recommended I read it. I'm re-reading some Pratchett instead.
Funnily enough I've been considering reading this but have also got distracted by re-reading Pratchett (and picking up on a couple I'd some how missed)

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 06:17 PM   #360
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I posted this in the Trump Presidency thread but thought it might fit here, too.

In secretly recorded tapes by Mary Trump and heard by Michael Kranish of The Atlantic, Trump's older sister, Mary Anne, says that Donald has "no principles" and "you can't trust him".

Apparently there are 15 hours of recorded tapes. These tapes also apparently reveal that Mary Anne is the source of the allegation that a boy named Joe Shapiro took the SAT's for Donald to get into college. She also says, "And what they're doing with kids at the border." She guessed that "He hasn't read my immigration opinions on court cases," and "His God damned tweets and lying. Oh, my God, I'm talking too freely but, you know, the change of stories, the lack of preparation, the lying. Holy ****!"
(Interview of Kranish of CNN)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics