ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:18 PM   #361
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Maybe the beauty parlor owner should be US president. Couldn't do a worse job than you.
Touché!

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:25 PM   #362
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Commander Bone Spurs honors fallen soldiers again.

What a leader!! Jesus ******* Christ, just imagine any other president ******** on veterans the way this piece of garbage does. But he'll just call it fake news (everyone else is lying) and his idiotic sycophants will nod and drool. **** him and **** them.
Yes, yes, but still you have to concede that Trump was sent by God.
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:30 PM   #363
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Yes, yes, but still you have to concede that Trump was sent by God.
Well, to be fair... it wouldn't be His first plague.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:51 PM   #364
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Here is the memo itself. I'm biased but I hear Steven Miller talking as I read it.

You'll enjoy this: The guideline for taking action is .... wait for it .... two weeks.

Bahahahahahaha.
Would be funny if this "sweep" netted the people responsible, and found they were all Trumpistas and white nationalists and other scummery associated with the Trump campaign. Because so far, that's who is almost completely responsible.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:52 PM   #365
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
No, I don’t think she is. Being effective would, for example, have resulted in articles of impeachment years earlier. Her tendency towards being openly disdainful of members of her own party helps to mark her as someone who has been in office far too long.

As for the mask issue, she shouldn’t ever enter a closed space without a mask on. She should also be aware of and following local COVID restrictions which would mean not being inside a salon at all.
Let's pile on Pelosi because of a (single?) slip-up, but shrug when the Orange Douche gathers 1500 into close quarters for his dose of cult-love.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:10 PM   #366
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Let's pile on Pelosi because of a (single?) slip-up, but shrug when the Orange Douche gathers 1500 into close quarters for his dose of cult-love.
She sucks. One of her senior staffers the boss's outlook as, "You know what you call someone who is 99% loyal? Disloyal."

She also ****** up by saying Joe Biden shouldn't dignify Trump with a public debate. She also blew the initial round of Coronavirus relief negotiations. She's a historically savvy operator who has had some iconic moments in recent years, but lately... she's a ****-up.
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:16 PM   #367
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To weigh in very slightly -

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Disdainful of her own? You mean when she told the newbies (including OAC) that their idealism was misplaced and they needed to slow it down?

I thought Pelosi was right and I love OAC.
AOC, not OAC.

As for Pelosi, I'm a bit neutral about her, slightly leaning positive overall. There's a number of things that are both good and bad when it comes to her - but it's generally best to take a step back and consider a couple things when it comes to her. For example, she's a very prominent and powerful Democrat, which means that Republicans will generally do their best to attack her in every way that they think might help them (including things that will hurt both them and her if they think that Democrats will suffer more for it, like what fairly certainly happened with the COVID relief negotiations) - and so will more than a few Democrats who would prefer to shift the balance of power in their favor.

As far as I'm concerned, the salon story is pretty much a nothingburger, either way.

Nov. 4
I'm seeing election day listed as Nov. 3, myself.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd September 2020 at 09:18 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:00 PM   #368
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Well, to be fair... it wouldn't be His first plague.
Nom'd and I'm still laughing.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
AOC, not OAC.
Shoot, my brain is failing me.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:03 PM   #369
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm seeing election day listed as Nov. 3, myself.
Others are seeing Nov 4 as a house-cleaning day.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:12 PM   #370
Aridas

*sigh*

Suspect in Portland killing of far-right protester 'shot dead' by US marshals

The exact situation is unclear from the article (a bunch of shots were fired, no particular indication that the suspect was doing any firing), but seems like he's dead now. A somewhat... convenient end for a guy who was apparently actively being hunted by right-wingers. Of note, he claimed to have had a good case of acting in self-defense when it came to what he did and, well...

Quote:
Since the shooting, Reinoehl said he’s gone into hiding, and moved his children to a safe place after shots were fired into his house just hours after the incident. “They're out hunting me,” he said. “There's nightly posts of the hunt and where they're going to be hunting. They made a post saying the deer are going to feel lucky this year because it's open season on Michael right now.”

He had not turned himself in, he said, because he believed right-wing protesters were collaborating with police, who will not protect him or his family.
Unfortunately, a fear that is not particularly unreasonable.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd September 2020 at 11:24 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:27 PM   #371
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump loves vets, except when he doesn't:
Quote:
Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’
The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uckers/615997/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:28 PM   #372
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

*sigh*

Suspect in Portland killing of far-right protester 'shot dead' by US marshals

The exact situation is unclear from the article (a bunch of shots were fired, no particular indication that the suspect was doing any firing), but seems like he's dead now. A somewhat... convenient end for a guy who was apparently actively being hunted by right-wingers. Of note, he claimed to have had a good case of acting in self-defense when it came to what he did and, well...

Unfortunately, a fear that is not particularly unreasonable.

This could set off another level of *********.
I hope the Marshals have some very good evidence why they had to shoot him instead of bringing him in.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:32 PM   #373
Aridas

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump loves vets, except when he doesn't:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uckers/615997/
The White House/Trump denies it, of course. On the other hand, it's apparently been verified by a military official source when other news dug into it.

Given Trump and how Trump ticks, of course, it's pretty much easily expected behavior. The man's mind just doesn't work like a normal person's.
Old 4th September 2020, 12:15 AM   #374
Aridas

Hmm. This opinion piece makes a fair point...

As election nears, Trump builds the very 'deep state' he railed against

White House manipulation of US intelligence on Russian and Chinese interference may rival WMD fiasco that led to Iraq war, say experts

Quote:
John Sipher, a CIA veteran who once ran the agency’s Russia operations, argued in a New York Times commentary on Tuesday that the pattern of the Trump administration’s actions “smacks of the very thing that Mr Trump has used to stoke outrage in his followers – the formation of a politicised national security apparatus that can serve as a personal weapon for the president. A ‘deep state’.”

David Rohde, journalist and author of a book published in April on the issue – In Deep: The FBI, the CIA, and the Truth about America’s “Deep State” – agreed with Sipher’s assessment.

“If a ‘deep state’ is a group of officials who secretly wield government power with little accountability or transparency, Trump and his loyalists increasingly fit that definition,” Rohde said. “Under the guise of stopping a ‘coup’ that does not exist, Trump is politicising the intelligence community and the justice department and using them to boost his re-election effort.”

The battle over intelligence is set to intensify as the election approaches. Barr has picked a prosecutor, John Durham, to investigate the FBI and special counsellor investigators who looked into Russian interference in the 2016 election. The attorney general has said he would not observe normal protocol and wait until after the election to publish Durham’s findings, or at least a version of those findings, with the likely aim of creating the impression that Trump was the victim of a conspiracy to undermine his presidency.
It... looks like it's getting to be that time again. Trump and the Republicans are turning their wild outrage-stoking accusations into reality in the exact opposite direction, yet again.
Old 4th September 2020, 12:40 AM   #375
llwyd
Muse

The White House/Trump denies it, of course. On the other hand, it's apparently been verified by a military official source when other news dug into it.

Given Trump and how Trump ticks, of course, it's pretty much easily expected behavior. The man's mind just doesn't work like a normal person's.
Yeah, it's an obviously true story. And it won't change the minds of his mindless, enraged base. Just more fake news, probably financed by that rootless, cosmopolitan Jew, Soros. Time to be fed with the daily piece of outrage and hatred by the Republican propaganda machine instead.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 01:51 AM   #376
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Nov. 4
Why do you think the day of reckoning is not Election Day, but the day after?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 02:04 AM   #377
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump has no references apart from what he has directly experienced, he can't learn something unless it directly relates to him, and he can't put himself in another person's shoes. This is why we keep saying he is "projecting", he actually isn't as he just cannot comprehend other people have different motivations, reactions and goals. Therefore he has learned the FBI can investigate I. e. spy on someone therefore Obama spied on him, because that is what Trump does. Washington is a swamp because that is the only environment he knows can exist.
Old 4th September 2020, 03:11 AM   #378
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
J
ordan Karem
@JordanKarem1
Again, this is 100% false. I was next to @POTUS the whole day! The President was greatly disappointed when told we couldn’t fly there. He was incredibly eager to honor our Fallen Heroes.
Quote Tweet

Jeffrey Goldberg
@JeffreyGoldberg
New, from @TheAtlantic: Trump skipped a visit to an American military cemetery in France after calling the dead "losers" for getting killed: Full story here:
https://theatlantic.com/politics/arc...uckers/615997/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 03:12 AM   #379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

I was never a big fan of John McCain, disagreed with him on many things including ridiculous endless wars and the lack of success he had in dealing with the VA and our great Vets, but the lowering of our Nations American Flags, and the first class funeral he was given by our....

..Country, had to be approved by me, as President, & I did so without hesitation or complaint. Quite the contrary, I felt it was well deserved. I even sent Air Force One to bring his body, in casket, from Arizona to Washington. It was my honor to do so. Also, I never called..

....John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES. This is more made up Fake News given by disgusting & jealous failures in a disgraceful attempt to influence the 2020 Election!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 03:22 AM   #380
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

What a leader!! Jesus ******* Christ, just imagine any other president ******** on veterans the way this piece of garbage does. But he'll just call it fake news (everyone else is lying) and his idiotic sycophants will nod and drool. **** him and **** them.

Link doesn’t work. Here’s another: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...suckers-report

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 03:29 AM   #381
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Why aren’t the Portland Police ARRESTING the cold blooded killer of Aaron “Jay” Danielson. Do your job, and do it fast. Everybody knows who this thug is. No wonder Portland is going to hell! @TheJusticeDept @FBI
Old 4th September 2020, 04:28 AM   #382
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Why aren’t the Portland Police ARRESTING the cold blooded killer of Aaron “Jay” Danielson. Do your job, and do it fast. Everybody knows who this thug is. No wonder Portland is going to hell! @TheJusticeDept @FBI
Perhaps there's a reason they haven't yet, and probably never will...

Also, if this tweet was blurted out well after the suspect was known to be killed by police, it would seem that that particular bit of news is not yet on AON or Fox. Because they don't want to report police-initiated killings in a hurry or even at all. Doesn't go with the narrative of POLICE=GOOD, BLM=BAD. Which means Donny-Two-Weeks is not up-to-date...yet.
Old 4th September 2020, 04:46 AM   #383
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I reject this claim unti the person making the claim (reporter) publishes all their data for peer review.

I also reject Trump's denial claim because he is a liar.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 4th September 2020 at 04:48 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:49 AM   #384
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Trump tweets

I was never a big fan of John McCain, disagreed with him on many things including ridiculous endless wars and the lack of success he had in dealing with the VA and our great Vets, but the lowering of our Nations American Flags, and the first class funeral he was given by our....

..Country, had to be approved by me, as President, & I did so without hesitation or complaint. Quite the contrary, I felt it was well deserved. I even sent Air Force One to bring his body, in casket, from Arizona to Washington. It was my honor to do so. Also, I never called..

....John a loser
and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES. This is more made up Fake News given by disgusting & jealous failures in a disgraceful attempt to influence the 2020 Election!
Riiiight...

Quote:
"He was a war hero because he was captured," Trump said at the 2015 Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa.

"I like people who weren't captured," the current Republican front-runner told political consultant Frank Luntz, who hosted the event.

"He lost and let us down," Trump said. "I've never liked him as much after that."

"I don't like losers," the real-estate mogul, who has gone through corporate bankruptcy four times, added.
(And the photo for that article is so irony-laden- Trump at a "Family Leadership Summit" in front of a sign reading "Leading With Principle Over Politics.")

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 04:56 AM   #385
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Riiiight...

(And the photo for that article is so irony-laden- Trump at a "Family Leadership Summit" in front of a sign reading "Leading With Principle Over Politics.")
I suppose that President Trump didn't specifically call John McCain "a loser" - just that he lost
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 05:00 AM   #386
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Trump tweets

....John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES. This is more made up Fake News given by disgusting & jealous failures in a disgraceful attempt to influence the 2020 Election!
That's about the whiniest (whingiest) thing I recall him blurting.
Something strike a nerve?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 05:02 AM   #387
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump tweets

It was Air Force Two, but ok.

About that "lowering of our Nations American Flags", though:

"Mr. President, this is not true. You were angry that DHS notified federal buildings to lower the flags for Sen. McCain. I would know because your staff called and told me."

Miles Taylor, then DHS chief of staff
https://twitter.com/MilesTaylorUSA/s...38420466114560

ETA: and, of course, about "the lack of success he had in dealing with the VA and our great Vets", Senators McCain and Sanders were the main negotiators for the "Veterans Choice Act", passed and signed into law by President Obama in 2014.

Last edited by Firestone; 4th September 2020 at 05:16 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 05:11 AM   #388
Elagabalus
Philosopher

AOC, not OAC.
Aren't they part of NATO?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 05:40 AM   #389
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I suppose that President Trump didn't specifically call John McCain "a loser" - just that he lost
To be fair, shouldn’t we give Kayleigh a chance to tell us what he really said/meant?
Old 4th September 2020, 05:57 AM   #390
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted
J
ordan Karem
@JordanKarem1
Again, this is 100% false. I was next to @POTUS the whole day!...
Quote Tweet

Jeffrey Goldberg
@JeffreyGoldberg
New, from @TheAtlantic: Trump skipped a visit to an American military cemetery in France after calling the dead "losers" for getting killed: Full story here:
Did Trump just tweet (or retweet) a link to the article that made accusations against him?

Seems kind of foolish... What if some of his MAGAchuds actually reads the link and thinks "maybe there is some truth there".

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 06:21 AM   #391
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Did Trump just tweet (or retweet) a link to the article that made accusations against him?

Seems kind of foolish... What if some of his MAGAchuds actually reads the link and thinks "maybe there is some truth there".

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
It's a long article.

280 characters is more their pace.

edited to add....

and the author is called (((Goldberg)))

Last edited by The Don; 4th September 2020 at 06:37 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 06:37 AM   #392
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump Retweeted
J
ordan Karem
@JordanKarem1
Again, this is 100% false. I was next to @POTUS the whole day! The President was greatly disappointed when told we couldn’t fly there. He was incredibly eager to honor our Fallen Heroes.
Quote Tweet

Jeffrey Goldberg
@JeffreyGoldberg
I'm not surprised he retweeted that. He doesn't pay any attention to what he retweets. He thought it was something good about him.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 06:43 AM   #393
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
It was Air Force Two, but ok.

About that "lowering of our Nations American Flags", though:

"Mr. President, this is not true. You were angry that DHS notified federal buildings to lower the flags for Sen. McCain. I would know because your staff called and told me."

Miles Taylor, then DHS chief of staff
https://twitter.com/MilesTaylorUSA/s...38420466114560

ETA: and, of course, about "the lack of success he had in dealing with the VA and our great Vets", Senators McCain and Sanders were the main negotiators for the "Veterans Choice Act", passed and signed into law by President Obama in 2014.
Well, Air Force One is per definition the AC that has the president on board. So it may have been the one Trump usually flies on, he is just unaware of that little detail.

Hans
Old 4th September 2020, 06:43 AM   #394
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He knows it doesn't matter. His followers don't study articles for things they disagree with, they skim them for things they do agree with.

Fact checking isn't worth the time in a post-fact world.
Old 4th September 2020, 07:01 AM   #395
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like the white house and the house democrats have come to a deal to avoid a shutdown over funding;

From;ABC News
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Trump administration have informally agreed to keep a stopgap government-wide funding bill — needed to avert a shutdown at the end of this month...The duration of the temporary funding measure or what noncontroversial items might ride along haven't been settled...There is sentiment among some Democrats for the stopgap legislation to extend into next year, but December appears to be the administration's preference and a more likely result.

That they would come to an agreement is not surprising... Democrats actually like the idea of government actually functioning, and the last time there was a shutdown, it negatively affected Trump's polling numbers (so he would want to avoid it too.)

I have one really major concern...what if republicans lose both the senate and the while house in the November election... If the funding bill only lasts until December, I could see either Stubby McBonespurs or Moscow Mitch failing to negotiate further funding in order to trigger a shutdown right before Biden is sworn in, just as a final 'screw you' to the country.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:02 AM   #396
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Not this year. The absentee ballots will make for a slow count.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:03 AM   #397
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

As of this morning, we're still in step 1 of the "bad news about Trump" playbook. Denial.

I wonder how long until we get to the step where they concede the news is true but...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:06 AM   #398
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
This could set off another level of *********.
I hope the Marshals have some very good evidence why they had to shoot him instead of bringing him in.
The officers that shot him were unlikely to have been Marshalls. That headline really doesn't follow from the text.

Quote:
Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, was shot by a federally led fugitive taskforce.
Taskforce is an important word. Usually these things are a combo of jurisdictions, like city/county/state officers who are coordinated by the feds. There are a lot of drug task forces like that where the feds are mostly in the wings.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th September 2020, 07:06 AM   #399
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Quote:
Not this year. The absentee ballots will make for a slow count.
If the elections are close it may take a while to sort things out.

But, if Biden manages to maintain a large lead, we will probably have enough election results on election day itself to know who the election winner is. (Even if they don't have final vote counts).

We are Groot - Groot
Old 4th September 2020, 07:41 AM   #400
Aridas

Perhaps there's a reason they haven't yet, and probably never will...

Also, if this tweet was blurted out well after the suspect was known to be killed by police, it would seem that that particular bit of news is not yet on AON or Fox. Because they don't want to report police-initiated killings in a hurry or even at all. Doesn't go with the narrative of POLICE=GOOD, BLM=BAD. Which means Donny-Two-Weeks is not up-to-date...yet.
I don't know the timing of the tweet, but I think that I'll note that shortly after I posted that Guardian link on it, I got curious and checked Fox's website. It was the top headline story when I checked.

Also... AON? Did you mean OAN?

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I read that as retweeting a refutation that had an embedded link to what it was refuting.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th September 2020 at 07:42 AM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics