ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , donald trump , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 13th September 2020, 12:18 PM   #361
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,772
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Suppose the President suppressed a report that the factory of a donor is leaking dangerous levels of toxins into a water reservoir, resulting in deaths.

Would that be criminally prosecutable?
Not a lawyer, and I wasn't answering a question about law.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:19 PM   #362
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Sure. But it doesn't matter how many things there are that make her unelectable, it's still idiotic to insist on nominating a candidate who is unelectable.
But she wasn't unelectable. That she didn't win doesn't make her unelectable. You don't seen to get that.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:20 PM   #363
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Thank you.
Bullpoo, the subject came up quickly about impeachment, which like it or not is a legal proceeding. If you charge in screaming murder when its not, you're only going to embarrass yourself. Facts actually do matter, and matter more than screaming OMB at the top of your lungs.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:22 PM   #364
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
A few hours ago you were whining that I put words in your mouth, now look at this mess. Jfc: I never claimed anything about zero deaths.

I was commenting on your stubborn "But it's not murder, so your argument is nullified" hogwash.
Because it isnt murder, its negligence. You cant be this thick....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:29 PM   #365
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Yes, other candidates did run, but still other candidates would have run. Rich wants to run for president of his school's chapter of Amnesty International, but quits filling out the paperwork upon learning his good friend Marie has already declared her candidacy.

And Clinton did not win anywhere close to a majority of Americans, let alone a majority voters (she won a plurality). Finally, and more importantly, she was running against Donald "grab 'em by the pussy" Trump, a historically awful candidate. A movie starring Ben Affleck as an Italian gangster falling for a gobble-gobble lesbian might not be as dumb as Battlefield Earth, but it can still be dumb.
Has ANY candidate ever won a MAJORITY of Americans? Probably Washington. But I'd bet my last dollar not one since. Certainly not Lincoln. Nor FDR. Nor Jefferson. Nor Roosevelt.

It doesn't matter that she was running against Trump because, like I said, she still BEAT HIM in the popular vote. And no matter how many times you and Squeegee et al want to claim she was 'unelectable' she wasn't because she only lost to him due to the stupidity of the electoral college by 77,000 votes. She was completely electable.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:32 PM   #366
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Because it isnt murder, its negligence. You cant be this thick....
I agreed to that several times, you can't be this thick.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 12:44 PM   #367
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
I agreed to that several times, you can't be this thick.
And yet you seem to press it further, yes he's bad, but the OP started a specific discussion, show an understanding of that nuance, or just admit that you andthe morgue guy have nothing more than screaming OMB into the wind, which wont accomplish didly.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:01 PM   #368
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
And yet you seem to press it further, yes he's bad, but the OP started a specific discussion, show an understanding of that nuance, or just admit that you andthe morgue guy have nothing more than screaming OMB into the wind, which wont accomplish didly.
Maybe if you write "OMB" a thousand times you can get it out of your system and move on to another argument because this one ain't workin' no mo.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:03 PM   #369
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Maybe if you write "OMB" a thousand times you can get it out of your system and move on to another argument because this one ain't workin' no mo.
Maybe you and yours could do the same. You want the guy impeached, dwell on actual facts. Not hysterical outbursts.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:05 PM   #370
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
And yet you seem to press it further, yes he's bad, but the OP started a specific discussion, show an understanding of that nuance, or just admit that you andthe morgue guy have nothing more than screaming OMB into the wind, which wont accomplish didly.
over 100k dead and you still want to down-talk it by claiming "It's just people screaming OMB" Ignoring a pandemic and letting people die is the textbook definition of OMB, ffs.

What exactly needs to happen that would make you say: "Yes, orange man pretty bad"? I imagine Trump launching a nuclear attack while you claim: "Come on guys, stop screaming OMB into the wind, that nuclear strike with millions dead was just a nothingburger"
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:06 PM   #371
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Maybe you and yours could do the same. You want the guy impeached, dwell on actual facts. Not hysterical outbursts.
100k dead, he knew what was going to happen but somehow pointing it out is "hysterical outbursts" to you.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:08 PM   #372
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
over 100k dead and you still want to down-talk it by claiming "It's just people screaming OMB" Ignoring a pandemic and letting people die is the textbook definition of OMB, ffs.

What exactly needs to happen that would make you say: "Yes, orange man pretty bad"? I imagine Trump launching a nuclear attack while you claim: "Come on guys, stop screaming OMB into the wind, that nuclear strike with millions dead was just a nothingburger"
Pathetic. Vote him out and deal with the problem at hand, the pandemic, your need to blame is basically a swamp, it bogs down and solves nothing. Support those getting a vaccine to the mainstream and stop trying to make it into something. Stop crying murder and vote him out, do your civic duty.

Idiots..........
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:09 PM   #373
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Maybe you and yours could do the same. You want the guy impeached, dwell on actual facts. Not hysterical outbursts.
But when we do use actual facts, still all you see are hysterical outbursts. Several of us have disagreed with the OP that what Trump did was murder.

ETA: We do agree that what he did was morally/ethically wrong and that it led to thousand of avoidable deaths but that it isn't legally murder. That isn't being hysterical.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th September 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:14 PM   #374
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Pathetic. Vote him out and deal with the problem at hand, the pandemic, your need to blame is basically a swamp, it bogs down and solves nothing. Support those getting a vaccine to the mainstream and stop trying to make it into something. Stop crying murder and vote him out, do your civic duty.

Idiots..........
My need to blame? What are you talking about? He is responsible for a lot of deaths, so it's 100% clear who is to blame.

Vote him out? Oh wow, thanks for the advice, should be easy then.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:17 PM   #375
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
My need to blame? What are you talking about? He is responsible for a lot of deaths, so it's 100% clear who is to blame.

Vote him out? Oh wow, thanks for the advice, should be easy then.
screaming into the wind. its getting boring
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:22 PM   #376
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
screaming into the wind. its getting boring
Yeah, talking about the topic of dead people who could have been saved is "screaming into the wind" and "getting boring" because we used the wrong word for the crime, got it.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:28 PM   #377
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
Yeah, talking about the topic of dead people who could have been saved is "screaming into the wind" and "getting boring" because we used the wrong word for the crime, got it.
No youre putting hysteria out there where it wont solve anything when we need our minds right. Rational thought not emotional outrage. Is it really that hard. A pandemic is a survuval thing and those like you want to play politics.

Which broken down:
Poly = more than one
Tick= parasite
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:37 PM   #378
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
No youre putting hysteria out there where it wont solve anything when we need our minds right. Rational thought not emotional outrage. Is it really that hard. A pandemic is a survuval thing and those like you want to play politics.

Which broken down:
Poly = more than one
Tick= parasite
I am commenting on the issue on an internet message board. Why would I think my comments would solve anything? And you still call being outraged over 100k deaths hysteria?
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 01:50 PM   #379
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness
 
Silly Green Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,082
Polyticking isn't a word.

Rational thought is paying attention to experts (and not dissolving the expert team specifically for this emergency) and laying in supplies (not selling the stockpile and increasing exports) to ensure hospitals can handle every patient and protect every worker, rational thought is letting experts dictate the next steps rather than political moves like 'banning' travel from China which doesn't do anything of the kind and was after people had started dying, rational thought is not voicing an internal monologue about how effective disinfectants are on surfaces, and maybe those same disinfectants could be injected into the body, and rational thought is absolutely not "we should do everything as though the virus wasn't here, because so much as wearing a mask to reduce transmission is an assault on personal freedom and any amount of American lives lost is worth keeping the economy going."
__________________
Normal is just a stereotype.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 02:43 PM   #380
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Is Trump a "bad man"? I think so and saying so isn't being "hysterical"; it's based on these facts:

1. He's a serial adulterer who cheated several times on all three wives.
2. He admitted to cancelling the health insurance on his critically ill minor nephew out of
spite.
3. He's a pathological liar.
4. He spread the birther conspiracy lies.
5. He's a racist.
6. He said John McCain wasn't hero because he was captured.
7. He's a bully.
8. He makes disparaging remarks about women.
9. Over 20 women have said he's sexually harassed, groped or assaulted them.
10. He's a narcissist to the extreme.
11. He cheated contractors out of payment.
12. He illegally kept people of color from renting in at least one of his buildings.
13. He refuses to admit the Central Park 5 are innocent even though DNA proved they are innocent.
14. He defrauded people with his Trump University Scam

And the list goes on and on and on. He is a BAD MAN.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th September 2020 at 02:46 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 02:48 PM   #381
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is Trump a "bad man"? I think so and saying so isn't being "hysterical"; it's based on these facts:

1. He's a serial adulterer who cheated several times on all three wives.
2. He admitted to cancelling the health insurance on his critically ill minor nephew out of
spite.
3. He's a pathological liar.
4. He spread the birther conspiracy lies.
5. He's a racist.
6. He said John McCain wasn't hero because he was captured.
7. He's a bully.
8. He makes disparaging remarks about women.
9. Over 20 women have said he's sexually harassed, groped or assaulted them.
10. He's a narcissist to the extreme.
11. He cheated contractors out of payment.
12. He illegally kept people of color from renting in at least one of his buildings.
13.
These facts won't get in the way of Rockysmith "Don't be hysterical over 100k deaths, even though I am hysterical about the pesky 'PC culture' at every opportunity" 76
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #382
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,004
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is Trump a "bad man"? I think so and saying so isn't being "hysterical"; it's based on these facts:

1. He's a serial adulterer who cheated several times on all three wives.
2. He admitted to cancelling the health insurance on his critically ill minor nephew out of
spite.
3. He's a pathological liar.
4. He spread the birther conspiracy lies.
5. He's a racist.
6. He said John McCain wasn't hero because he was captured.
7. He's a bully.
8. He makes disparaging remarks about women.
9. Over 20 women have said he's sexually harassed, groped or assaulted them.
10. He's a narcissist to the extreme.
11. He cheated contractors out of payment.
12. He illegally kept people of color from renting in at least one of his buildings.
13. He refuses to admit the Central Park 5 are innocent even though DNA proved they are innocent.
14. He defrauded people with his Trump University Scam

And the list goes on and on and on. He is a BAD MAN.
There are too many things to even try to put on a list. Even when you categorize his scandals the list grows too long for one post. Every time you feel you're about done you think of two or three more things to add to the list.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 04:22 PM   #383
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
There are too many things to even try to put on a list. Even when you categorize his scandals the list grows too long for one post. Every time you feel you're about done you think of two or three more things to add to the list.
Those were just off the top of my head.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 10:58 PM   #384
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 13,652
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Pathetic. Vote him out and deal with the problem at hand, the pandemic, your need to blame is basically a swamp, it bogs down and solves nothing. Support those getting a vaccine to the mainstream and stop trying to make it into something. Stop crying murder and vote him out, do your civic duty.

Idiots..........
Idiocy is calling one's party the "party of Lincoln" while carrying Confederate battle flags.

Thumb-sucking idiocy is not being able to solve the Ship of Theseus non-paradox and remaining absolutely clueless, even after Shakespeare solved it for you and left you with the key on your homeschooling doorstep. Most current Trumpster "logic" is based squarely on this need for a thumb in one's mouth.

Clueless, wandering idiocy is thinking that accepting the use of torture would not open any behavioral floodgates, and then being shocked to find children and babies in cages, many of whom have disappeared into wicked hands under the winking eye of so-called "Christians".

Deeply troubling idiocy is to spook all the big brains that had been feeding US high tech and innovation, including foundational science and tech for US weapons systems, all while knowing that your number one enemy is so large that it will soon field its own team with more resources in every single category, dwarfing "all you got"... and then alienating your last remaining allies.

Bottom-feeding idiocy is to never have learned the difference, ever, between product and process technology, the latter being ever more critical. No examples or free help on this one; go find out for yourself, if capable. (I laughingly and derisively doubt it.)

Pinhead idiocy is equating cutting and running on loyal and battle-tested allies, all while bullets yet fly, with anything not called backstabbing cowardice. Who's gonna sincerely have your back now?

Laughable, clueless, and cranial-echoing intellectual vacuity is not realizing, ever, that WWII was actually a war won by Anglo supremacists, not by "friends" of freedom and democracy. To see this, all one needs is to understand is the difference between flowery words for children and oft repeated, doubled-down, dastardly deeds at home and abroad.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion.
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 13th September 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 11:43 PM   #385
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 30,085
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But she wasn't unelectable.
But she was. Because she'd already had years of her name being dragged through the mud at that point.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 11:49 PM   #386
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 30,085
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Which broken down:
Poly = more than one
Tick= parasite
It's from the word "polis", meaning "city". If, you know, we're genuinely talking about rational thought not emotional outrage.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 11:52 PM   #387
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,068
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But she was. Because she'd already had years of her name being dragged through the mud at that point.
No she wasn't.

She was an almost statistically error away from winning the EC.

You can't say that someone is unelectable when they get within a hair's breath of winning.
__________________
Prediction
https://xkcd.com/2370/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 12:18 AM   #388
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,991
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Suppose the President suppressed a report that the factory of a donor is leaking dangerous levels of toxins into a water reservoir, resulting in deaths.

Would that be criminally prosecutable?
According to the DOJ, no. So for all practical purposes the answer is no.

It's a serious flaw in our political system, but there you go - we have made it so the president can literally get away with murder*.

* defined as:- the crime that would be murder if it wasn't the president doing it.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 01:09 AM   #389
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 30,085
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
No she wasn't.

She was an almost statistically error away from winning the EC.

You can't say that someone is unelectable when they get within a hair's breath of winning.
Against a joke candidate. "She's a serious politician because she almost beat Slappy the Clown" isn't a very strong argument.

But, sure, if the sticking point is the exact word "unelectable", then allow me to modify my statement. Because of all the years of her name being dragged through the mud, Clinton would always have had a very tough, uphill battle in order to become President. Either way, her being given the nomination was idiotic.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 01:20 AM   #390
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,979
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But she was. Because she'd already had years of her name being dragged through the mud at that point.
Is that why she received almost 3 million more votes than Trump? Because she was unelectable? How you explain that one away? If this had been any other elected political office in the US, she'd have won.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 02:01 AM   #391
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 30,132
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Idiocy is calling one's party the "party of Lincoln" while carrying Confederate battle flags.
IMO not idiocy, it's marketing.

From the GOP's perspective, associating your party with Lincoln is a smart move because he was a Republican (however much the party has changed) and there is a great deal of respect for him among people who aren't typical Republican voters. Then again the Confederate flag has good brand recognition, and tracks well for people who think themselves as rebels. The GOP is attempting to portray itself as the anti-establishment party fighting for the little guy (laughable but they seem to be getting traction), that's compatible with the use of the Confederate flag.

The Dukes of Hazzard, various Southern Rock bands, a bunch of advertising campaigns and tens of millions of t-shirts have meant that the majority of people aren't aware of its original purpose. It's like the Che Guevara posters or Ramones t-shirts, ubiquity has diluted, possibly even destroyed, the original meaning and sentiment.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 02:05 AM   #392
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 30,132
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is that why she received almost 3 million more votes than Trump? Because she was unelectable? How you explain that one away? If this had been any other elected political office in the US, she'd have won.
Is the President the only elected political office which involves all the states and territories ? If so then it's pointless talking about others, it's apples and swimming pools.

As it turned out, Hillary Clinton was surprisingly unelectable. I cannot explain it myself but I guess that she failed to really inspire Democratic Party voters to turn out in sufficiently large numbers in the states that mattered; she had too much "history" after being pilloried for the last three decades or more; she was the first female candidate for President and she was running against an opponent who seemed to break all the usual rules of politics.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 02:07 AM   #393
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,068
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Against a joke candidate. "She's a serious politician because she almost beat Slappy the Clown" isn't a very strong argument.

But, sure, if the sticking point is the exact word "unelectable", then allow me to modify my statement. Because of all the years of her name being dragged through the mud, Clinton would always have had a very tough, uphill battle in order to become President. Either way, her being given the nomination was idiotic.
the fact that any Republican can win a couple of States makes anyone nominated by the GOP by definition not a joke candidate.

You think Cruz or Bush would have done better against HRC than Trump?
__________________
Prediction
https://xkcd.com/2370/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 02:54 AM   #394
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 30,085
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is that why she received almost 3 million more votes than Trump?
I'm not saying the game isn't rigged. But the Democrats knew that ahead of time, and went with the candidate whose name had been dragged through the mud for more than a decade anyway.

I mean, look at Biden now. They're trying their hardest to smear him in the same way they did Clinton, but they're finding it much harder because they don't have years of groundwork ready and waiting.

I don't think Biden is a better candidate than Clinton in terms of competence and policy. He's probably worse, in fact. But he's a better candidate than her over all because he's a lot less vulnerable to attack.

Not immune, because nobody is, and I'm not going to pretend that how well he's doing isn't connected to 4 years of Trump in power. But even all of that aside he's a better candidate than Clinton, because the Republicans are having to come up with stuff like him hiding in his mother's basement, rather than being able to just shout "Benghazi" and "Uranium One" at him. They are instead finding themselves having to fight against the considerable residual goodwill that he's got from his time as vice president.

And you're welcome to make the argument that that kind of thing shouldn't matter. I would even agree with you, up to a point. I'm not a fan of attack politics in general, although the line between attacking and informing people of genuine wrongdoing is somewhat fuzzy. But it does matter and meant that Clinton was starting several miles behind any competitor.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 14th September 2020 at 03:22 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 03:08 AM   #395
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,068
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is that why she received almost 3 million more votes than Trump? Because she was unelectable? How you explain that one away? If this had been any other elected political office in the US, she'd have won.
There is a counterargument you have to make:

if the game to win the White House was to win the popular vote, Trump would have campaigned in California and New York instead of the Rust Belt.
Siphoning off a few million from HRC wouldn't have been that hard.

In short: I can't say that I would have beaten you at the game if the rules had been different, because if the rules had been different you would have played differently and quite probably beaten me, too.
__________________
Prediction
https://xkcd.com/2370/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 05:15 AM   #396
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,974
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Against a joke candidate. "She's a serious politician because she almost beat Slappy the Clown" isn't a very strong argument.

But, sure, if the sticking point is the exact word "unelectable", then allow me to modify my statement. Because of all the years of her name being dragged through the mud, Clinton would always have had a very tough, uphill battle in order to become President. Either way, her being given the nomination was idiotic.
Could not agree more.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:25 AM   #397
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
These facts won't get in the way of Rockysmith "Don't be hysterical over 100k deaths, even though I am hysterical about the pesky 'PC culture' at every opportunity" 76
1) The OP is specifically citing murder which is much more than just being a bad man.

2) To the mods: Post quoted above, name calling and a rule violation is it not?

Also: You really need to get past the fact that as bad as he is, he didn't cause Covid, we knew very little about it in the early stages of the pandemic and there would have been deaths regardless, the negligence and idiocy of his response exaggerated it yes, but you are completely disingenuous in trying to vilify me for pointing that out.

Last edited by rockysmith76; 14th September 2020 at 06:31 AM.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:27 AM   #398
rockysmith76
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is that why she received almost 3 million more votes than Trump? Because she was unelectable? How you explain that one away? If this had been any other elected political office in the US, she'd have won.
maybe work on voting him out in the next election rather than lament over the last one, also this has nothing to do with the OP
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:39 AM   #399
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
1) The OP is specifically citing murder which is much more than just being a bad man.
And most people in here agreed that it was indeed not murder. But he is still responsible for downplaying it, something you don't seem to understand.


Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
2) To the mods: Post quoted above, name calling and a rule violation is it not?
The mods advised you multiple times to use the report button, instead of indulding in your silly victim complex. Is there anything that the "PC culture" did not ruin for you,lol?


Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Also: You really need to get past the fact that as bad as he is, he didn't cause Covid,
He cause 100k+ deaths due to negligence. Do you find that acceptable or why are you (again) trying to downplay his involvement and responsibility in this event?

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
we knew very little about it in the early stages of the pandemic and there would have been deaths regardless,
So that means "We knew little" justifies the use of language like "it will go away soon on its own"? Wow, you really like your god emperor, don't you?
He knew what was going to happen and you know it, too.

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
the negligence and idiocy of his response exaggerated it yes, but you are completely disingenuous in trying to vilify me for pointing that out.
More victim complex. Maybe get a hobby?
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 06:51 AM   #400
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,362
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But when we do use actual facts, still all you see are hysterical outbursts. Several of us have disagreed with the OP that what Trump did was murder.

ETA: We do agree that what he did was morally/ethically wrong and that it led to thousand of avoidable deaths but that it isn't legally murder. That isn't being hysterical.
Rocky doesn't want to have a reasonable discussion about facts. He's proved that already by running away from threads when challenged to do so. He just wants to didactically lecture everyone on the inferiority of their positions. Only Rocky is allowed to criticize Trump, and then only in the context of "both sides suck". Any mention by anyone else of the deafening sucking sound emanating from the Oval Office will be met with his stock "clever" mockery involving the deployment of his patented signature phrase, "orange man bad", as though people have been histrionically losing their **** over Trump fist-bumping his wife, or wearing a tan suit.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.