ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #2241
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get along too well with complexity, I guess, and no doubt there are more efficiently scientifc ways of going about things, but I would surmise that if (and it's a big big if indeed!) one wished to evaluate things honestly, it might be possible to do the test in more than one stage, and without such elaboration as seems to be contemplated here.

For example, one could do a blind test without any consideration of what the modem is doing, and how much output it is putting out. Just do the test. If headaches occur in a pattern that does not correspond with on times for the modem, it does not matter what the modem is capable of, because you're getting headaches with it off. If headaches occur that correspond with modem on times, or if no headaches occur at all, it may or may not matter what the modem is capable of. Further, more precise testing would be warranted then. But the first possibility would be fairly definitive. If headaches occur when the modem is off, or if they stop while the modem is on, then you have convincing evidence that the modem is not causing them.

The test would have to be done honestly, of course, but if the test is truly blind and if both parties to the test keep honest records of time, it would be a useful first step.

Why is this so hard to do?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #2242
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Note the interesting phrasing;

I worked there. We had good equipment.

Two separate sentences. No statement that he has actually used them, or even that he knows how to use them, just an indignant, "Why do you snidely infer I am incapable of using one?".
Note also,
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power when I was a student.
So (the rule of) PS really only did some work experience as part of the courses he never attended.
Students doing work experience generally got stuck with filing or photocopying back in the day.

Perhaps Joburg City Power had really good photocopying equipment?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; Yesterday at 03:57 PM. Reason: [quoting
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #2243
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power........
teehee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Never Ending Story.jpg (82.3 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #2244
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Note the interesting phrasing;

I worked there. We had good equipment.

Two separate sentences. No statement that he has actually used them, or even that he knows how to use them, just an indignant, "Why do you snidely infer I am incapable of using one?".
Note also,
I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power when I was a student.
So (the rule of) PS really only did some work experience as part of the courses he never attended.
Students doing work experience generally got stuck with filing or photocopying back in the day.

Perhaps Joburg City Power had really good photocopying equipment?
These are the details that call PartSkeptic's account into question. I funded my way through uni by working as a kitchen porter. (not a fun job). Occasionally, I was pressed into duty as a silver service waitron. And I had no clue what I was doing. They just chucked a purple waistcoat on me and sent me forth. Sink or swim was the order of the day.

Nothing wrong with that per se, one does what one must to make ends meet. The problem here is that PS thinks such pointless anecdotes lend him credibility.

We have all been there in some way, shape or form as we got to where wherever we are at now. PS thinks that this means he is an expert on whatever.

This would be akin to me claiming to be a gourmet genius chef by dint of washing the pots and pans. That is an absurd notion.

At best, PS was merely told what it was and instructed not to touch it as he earned a few quick bucks.

How do I know? Well in the ensuing decades, I have hired and fired hundreds. I know for a fact that one does not allow a spotty teenager to drive a screw, or a forklift, or anything that matters let alone a spectrum analyser. Not happening under my watch.

This mad claim just gets added to the Abe Simpson heap of anecdotes. Likely with an onion tied to the belt as was the style at the time.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #2245
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
These are the details that call PartSkeptic's account into question. I funded my way through uni by working as a kitchen porter. (not a fun job). Occasionally, I was pressed into duty as a silver service waitron. And I had no clue what I was doing. They just chucked a purple waistcoat on me and sent me forth. Sink or swim was the order of the day.

Nothing wrong with that per se, one does what one must to make ends meet. The problem here is that PS thinks such pointless anecdotes lend him credibility.

We have all been there in some way, shape or form as we got to where wherever we are at now. PS thinks that this means he is an expert on whatever.

This would be akin to me claiming to be a gourmet genius chef by dint of washing the pots and pans. That is an absurd notion.

At best, PS was merely told what it was and instructed not to touch it as he earned a few quick bucks.

How do I know? Well in the ensuing decades, I have hired and fired hundreds. I know for a fact that one does not allow a spotty teenager to drive a screw, or a forklift, or anything that matters let alone a spectrum analyser. Not happening under my watch.

This mad claim just gets added to the Abe Simpson heap of anecdotes. Likely with an onion tied to the belt as was the style at the time.
The other odd thing is that City Power Johannesburg was founded/incorporated in 2000 and licensed to trade only by 21 Dec 2001.

By my reckoning I’m 10 years younger than PS, yet finished my Engineering degree time at University in 1985.

Perhaps he was a mature-aged student.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; Yesterday at 09:33 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #2246
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

By my reckoning Iím 10 years younger than PS, yet finished my Engineering degree time at University in 1985.
Partskeptic said he was "25 in 1975" and thus born in 1960.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #2247
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The other odd thing is that City Power Johannesburg was founded/incorporated in 2000 and licensed to trade only by 21 Dec 2001.

By my reckoning Iím 10 years younger than PS, yet finished my Engineering degree time at University in 1985.

Perhaps he was a mature-aged student.
Everyone's journey is different. I completed my degree in 1992 because I thought I knew it all, and wandered of into the school of life. That school taught me that I certainly did not know it all. Back to school for me after three lost years thinking I knew better than everyone else. Such is the arrogance of callow youth. To this day, I regret those lost years spent in the idiotic delusion that I was smarter than everyone else.

Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

Scroll forward a generation, and my eldest is just starting to learn that hard lesson.

Let him learn it the hard way. I need to step back and watch it happen. Painful as it is. I cannot teach him, he has to discover it all of his lonesome. Else the lesson is worthless.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #2248
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
So 60+ thereabouts. Not really a problem, is it?

It is more subtle.

I watched my own long dead father decline over time. It is a cruel thing. The decision to place him in a nursing home was really distressing.

The turning point was when I rocked in and found him on the floor. And then my sis rocked in with his prescription.

He insisted that he was "safe" to live alone while lying on the floor.

After some argument, we simply said "if you can climb off the floor, then you have a point to make".

He lust lay on the floor unable to even stand up. And claimed that he could if he wanted to.

But he preferred to be prostrate on the concrete floor because it was somehow better. Than something unidentified.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #2249
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Um, 1975 minus 25 is 1950.

His profile gives his age as 71.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #2250
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

His profile gives his age as 71.
You think any PS claim is remotely reliable?

Good luck with that.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #2251
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Whoops

Let me double check what I remembered reading.....

"When I was about 25 in 1975, I unknowingly ate a marijuana cookie at a party. I hallucinated for the rest of the evening. The universe vanished and I joined the singular cosmic intelligence."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=467

Last edited by Matthew Ellard; Yesterday at 11:52 PM. Reason: check original quote again
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #2252
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Whoops

Let me double check what I remembered reading.....

"When I was about 25 in 1975, I unknowingly ate a marijuana cookie at a party. I hallucinated for the rest of the evening. The universe vanished and I joined the singular cosmic intelligence."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=467
OK. That means, at the youngest, he was a 51 year old student at Joburg Power.
Old Today, 01:26 AM   #2253
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Quite clearly, the Telcos have hacked his ISF account, changed his personal information and altered some of his posts to make it look like this is another of his suspect anecdotes.
No other explanation.
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #2254
EHocking
Philosopher

Iím bloody psychic me.
....Perhaps he was a mature-aged student.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories