ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th September 2018, 09:11 AM   #41
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
When you react to a story about a Catholic priest having consensual adult sex with a comment like "at least the children had a rest", yes it does imply that all Catholic priests are paedophiles, and when the sex in question is gay adult consensual sex and the reaction is "at least the boys had a rest", yes it also implies that gay men are, to a man, molestors of young boys.

So is it okay to be homophobic now if the gay man in question is a Catholic priest? What about heterosexual Catholic priests, can we assume they are all abusers of underage girls?

To my knowledge, Catholic priests are not only not supposed to be homosexual, they are not supposed to be sexual at all, which is probably a big part of the problem with Catholic priests molesting children: Repression of sexuality, be it homosexual or heterosexual, is unhealthy in any form.
Therefore the joke also isn't that two male Catholic priests had sex with each other, i.e. that the activity was homosexual, but that two priests had any kind of sex (and in public, which is how they got caught). The joke isn't homophobic. The joke is that priests in the Catholic Church, which has become known for its cases of sexual abuse of children, were having sex, but with each other, i.e. with adults, instead of with children. If anything, the joke could be said to be pedohileophobic ...
It a way, it's unfortunate that the two people caught in the act weren't a priest and a nun, which would have made for much better jokes, and nobody would have suspected the jokes of being homophobic - or heterophobic, for that matter.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 6th September 2018 at 09:13 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2018, 03:51 AM   #42
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So is the old homophobic slur that gay men are paedophiles now acceptable again?
No, just priests.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2018, 03:53 AM   #43
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
So they were performing oral sex “on each other?” That suggests the two managed to 69 in the front seat of a car, which is Cirque de Soliel level impressive, or the cops sat and waited to make sure the first guy to receive wasn’t going to be selfish, which is very considerate.
I'm not sure my back would ever be the same if I attempted such a maneuver.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2018, 10:06 PM   #44
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No, just priests.
Which is as I mentioned up thread evidence that society hasn't changed that much since the evidence is priests abuse boys and girls but the primary association remains that it is abuse of boys.
Old 7th September 2018, 11:14 PM   #45
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You hope in vain, I'm afraid. The presumption that all gays are pedophiles is extremely prevalent in the American right.
Including, as I recall, the Catholic Church in its vociferous oppostion to civil unions in Vermont. Whether Bishop Angell, notorious also for laxity in dealing with sexual predators in the clergy under his jurisdiction, actually said it or just went along with the screaming nutbars who did I don't remember, but I don't recall him ever contradicting it. His main argument, of course, was that civil unions would undermine the sanctity of the civil marriage that his church, up until that magic moment, despised for having no sanctity.

Of course on the one hand a couple of guys making it in the car is no big deal, and the fact that they're clergy should be no big deal either, except that they represent an institution notorious for trying to impose its beliefs on those who do not share them, so fair play I say. Out the hypocritical bastards.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 03:55 AM   #46
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No, just priests.
That's really no better.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 07:04 AM   #47
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which is as I mentioned up thread evidence that society hasn't changed that much since the evidence is priests abuse boys and girls but the primary association remains that it is abuse of boys.
Boys have "official" roles in the Catholic church than girls do not. Altar boys, choir boys, etc. It's seen, and is intended to be seen, as grooming the children into a more righteous upbringing. The association focuses on boys because of the active social encouragement that places them where they are the most vulnerable.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:22 AM   #48
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Boys have "official" roles in the Catholic church than girls do not. Altar boys, choir boys, etc. It's seen, and is intended to be seen, as grooming the children into a more righteous upbringing. The association focuses on boys because of the active social encouragement that places them where they are the most vulnerable.
That hasn't been true for quite some time. Altar girls and choir girls are part and parcel of the Catholic Church just the same as their male counterparts.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:36 PM   #49
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That hasn't been true for quite some time. Altar girls and choir girls are part and parcel of the Catholic Church just the same as their male counterparts.
And not from any growing liberalism or notions of equality, either: there just aren't enough Catholic boys to fill the roles. That's been going on for decades; when I was an altar server back in the 80s, so was my sister.
Old 9th September 2018, 11:16 AM   #50
dann
Philosopher

By the way, let's not forget that there are cases of sexual abuse by Protestant vicars, clergymen, preachers (whatever they're called), too. In Denmark, where Catholics are a very small minority (1.3%), the cases I've heard of are Protestant and usually in fundamentalist versions of Protestantism. For the most part, the Protestant majority are Cultural Christians, i.e. not really religious at all.
The latest case was a Danish-American. I think that he was trying to start up a new church in Florida when he was arrested:
http://cphpost.dk/news/danish-church...ual-abuse.html
Still, the cliché is that sexual abusers are Catholic.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 9th September 2018 at 11:18 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 07:55 PM   #51
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
They were both from Chicago and were both in Miami. What? No hotel room?

No room at the inn. It's a tradition.
Old 9th September 2018, 09:54 PM   #52
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
No room at the inn. It's a tradition.
I seem to recall that one of the arguments of the Church with regard to birth control is that premeditation amplifies a sin. If you take time to procure and use a condom you can't say you were carried away by irresistible passion. I would suppose getting a room presents a similar problem.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy