ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th September 2018, 04:26 AM   #1321
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wink

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
On Thursday I appeared in the High Court to argue for leave to appeal. The other side (legally aided by a University Law clinic) hired a top expensive advocate to oppose me. His knowledge was outdated, and I was able to tell the court what the latest principles were.

Example. The advocate said that I was trying to appeal a ruling and that only judgments can be appealed. I told the court that any ruling, order, direction or judgment given by a judge was now considered a judgment and could be appealed. The key element was whether the order was an interim order which has a number of tests.

And even if it was an interim order (which I conceded it was) the constitution allowed my appeal on the basis of my right to a fair hearing. Not a trial but a hearing, including interim hearings. On that basis, the orders should be overturned and substituted with "final" orders and costs. I was able to answer the advocate on every count.

Easy example. The advocate said that because I had chosen to appeal by myself I was breaking the case into two parts. He had not fully read the file and I pointed out that I was a cessionary who was entitled to 50% of her case. I win, she wins. I said that she was abiding by the decisions. The judge asked me where was the written agreement to that effect. I replied that doing nothing and not appearing is considered tacit abiding and there was no need for a written notice. The judge said "Oh. Yes. You are right."

The judge told me that she has the discretion to set costs. I replied that she did, but she did not have the discretion to make arbitrary and unjust decisions and that her discretion had limits.

And so it went. You could take the transcript to get legal advice and they would tell you that I was very well versed both in law and in arguing a complex case.

So please... assumptions, assumptions assumptions.
Of course they would. I'm sure it all went off without a hitch just like you said.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 05:09 AM   #1322
Rincewind
Philosopher

Do you really think corruption in the legal system is recent?

Checkout Republican Roman times for a start...
Old 8th September 2018, 05:20 AM   #1323
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Signs of the End Times - Part the Third

Has the legal system always been so corrupt? The extent of corruption is a sign of end times for me.

Ah, so you know jack squat about world history or even you own country’s history. You’re incapable of putting current events into any kind of context beyond a personal one. That’s not surprising.

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

He seems to be working hard to provide more evidence to support the accusations of narcissism.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 8th September 2018 at 05:21 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:25 AM   #1324
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
If the world is truly ending as you claim, why are you even bothering with any of this? Even if you win and are awarded a huge sum in compensation, you won't be able to spend it. Even a moral victory will have little meaning in a world where most of humanity is dead or dying.

(snip)

A cynic might think that you don't really believe this prediction at all. But I am not a cynic.

You are quite right and accurate. Except that all I will win is satisfaction for having made a positive contribution. It is otherwise costly in effort, expenses and time. I have considered dropping it, but that is not my nature. I don't like scum winning by using corrupt and devious tactics.

I have repeatedly said that I cannot be sure of any "predictions". Even if it were to happen, life must go on.

Do you not see why God (if he exists) chooses to remain hidden? Being absolutely sure about his existence and his plans for mankind changes how we act and the decisions we make.

There are reasons for mankind to have a hard look at the direction of the world. I felt that I should pass on the "message" and let people judge for themselves. Even if it does not happen, people need to reassess their thinking.

BTW. I did ask my wife if she would consider letting me use up the savings I have (not a big amount) and we just travel and have fun and then I personally exit after a year or so. The possibility that I will personally not be around much longer seems quite likely. She would still have her savings intact. She did not think it was a good idea. Does it really matter if I suffer during my last year instead of recreation?
Old 8th September 2018, 08:31 AM   #1325
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

No. I do not think corruption is recent. And I do think that there have been many societies that have had extreme corruption. Some of them have died out.

What I am seeing is the degree to which a group of people will go. My opposition is a University Law Clinic. They are supposed to teach ethics.

It is the extent and the global extent of the decline that is worrying. It is typical in a world where people are fighting for resources without the guidance of religion to reduce the cut-throat tactics. Global anarchy. Look at the USA tearing itself apart. Short-term gains.
Old 8th September 2018, 10:17 AM   #1326
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

You are quite right and accurate. Except that all I will win is satisfaction for having made a positive contribution. It is otherwise costly in effort, expenses and time. I have considered dropping it, but that is not my nature. I don't like scum winning by using corrupt and devious tactics.
Your fire and brimstone apocalypse is not a "positive contribution" to anything at all.

I have repeatedly said that I cannot be sure of any "predictions". Even if it were to happen, life must go on.
You plainly do not want life to go on at all.

Do you not see why God (if he exists) chooses to remain hidden? Being absolutely sure about his existence and his plans for mankind changes how we act and the decisions we make.
No. That would make such a god into a moron.

There are reasons for mankind to have a hard look at the direction of the world. I felt that I should pass on the "message" and let people judge for themselves. Even if it does not happen, people need to reassess their thinking.
Back in the real world, progress is relentlessly upward.

BTW. I did ask my wife if she would consider letting me use up the savings I have (not a big amount) and we just travel and have fun and then I personally exit after a year or so. The possibility that I will personally not be around much longer seems quite likely. She would still have her savings intact. She did not think it was a good idea. Does it really matter if I suffer during my last year instead of recreation?
What a horrible outlook you seem to have.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 10:58 PM   #1327
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Your fire and brimstone apocalypse is not a "positive contribution" to anything at all.

You plainly do not want life to go on at all.

No. That would make such a god into a moron.

Back in the real world, progress is relentlessly upward.

What a horrible outlook you seem to have.

Where is the "fire and brimstone"? I gave a simple message that fits in completely with modern concerns. When one is warned of a danger in the road ahead one should take steps to avoid it. Pooh-poohing the warning is negative.

The definition of God is a supremely intelligent being acting for the good of mankind. Satan thought he knew better and has been causing chaos in his effort to go against God.

In the real world, the driver of progress is money. Real progress would be social upliftment and empathy for the fellow man.

I have an honest outlook. I am suffering more and more each day. It causes pain and stress in those I love. I have had a full and wonderful life. So full I have put three lifetimes into one. I am 69 years old. I can go at the time of my choosing and leave my wife with pleasant memories. My late wife's husband died slowly in bed and was a huge unpleasant burden. By the time he died she hated him and was leaving him in the care of the nurse.

I would add that when I started my book in 2009, I got the distinct feeling that I would probably die about 6 months after finishing it. It was not an incentive to finish, and I knew it. Despite that, I pushed on and finished it.

Americans and those of the Jewish faith are afraid to die. I am not. I do not expect to go to a better place. My whole life I have seen death as a final end, like being switched off. I can accept that. It is inevitable.

As for life going on, you are probably quite comfortable somewhere. You have no idea of the suffering in the slums and the squatter camps and in many parts of the world. It is getting worse and the all the West cares about is technology and making money.

An hour ago, I watched an episode of "Travelers" where a section of future mankind (not the God-like super-intelligent machine man created) decides to kill 70% of the population by designing a pathogen to do just that. Fast, deadly and selective.

Here is a bit of advice. When you get a fever, let it take its course rather than try to bring it down. The human body will not let itself overheat and cause damage. The fever stimulates the immune system. One will only overheat if in a hot room or car. Personally, I heat myself up when I am sick. I get better quickly.
Old 8th September 2018, 11:16 PM   #1328
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It's possible to be genuinely concerned about the suffering of others and the future of humanity and still think someone who claims to receive personal messages from God about an imminent apocalypse is full of it.
Old 9th September 2018, 01:39 AM   #1329
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I have one case in New Zealand that is in the legal reports. I overturned the discretion of a judge on costs. They did a one-line report saying that "In an unusual case, the discretion of a judge on costs was overturned." It was an embarrassment that they did not want to get into but had no choice but to report it as it was Court of Appeal ruling.

That is not a law report. Even a digested report will give the reasons for the decision. And, far from being “an embarrassment”, judgments that overturn earlier decisions are routinely reported, especially if the case is “unusual”. The law in common law jurisdictions is composed of these sort of decisions. It thrives on them. A report that just says “a discretion [sic] was overturned” is completely pointless, and not worth reporting.

By the way, do you really mean “discretion”? Did the court decide that the judge would no longer be allowed to make decisions on costs, or something? Or do you mean “decision”?

Quote:
The other cases were standard and not reportable.

Do you mean they were in the lower courts, so couldn’t set a binding precedent and therefore were not worth reporting?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 03:25 AM   #1330
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Here is a bit of advice. When you get a fever, let it take its course rather than try to bring it down. The human body will not let itself overheat and cause damage. The fever stimulates the immune system. One will only overheat if in a hot room or car. Personally, I heat myself up when I am sick. I get better quickly.

...and now homeopathy.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 06:36 AM   #1331
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
That is not a law report. Even a digested report will give the reasons for the decision. And, far from being “an embarrassment”, judgments that overturn earlier decisions are routinely reported, especially if the case is “unusual”. The law in common law jurisdictions is composed of these sort of decisions. It thrives on them. A report that just says “a discretion [sic] was overturned” is completely pointless, and not worth reporting.

By the way, do you really mean “discretion”? Did the court decide that the judge would no longer be allowed to make decisions on costs, or something? Or do you mean “decision”?

Do you mean they were in the lower courts, so couldn’t set a binding precedent and therefore were not worth reporting?

The decision was overturned, meaning his discretion to make the decision was overturned. It is unusual and has to be reported, but there is no rule as to how much must be reported. It was an embarrassment to the Court system and to the judges.

When I read the report in the New Zealand Law Reports I was not surprised it was given no explanation. Basically, they say to lawyers go read the file if you want.

You must be one of those that think the reports accurately represent precedent instead of picking and choosing sections to support the way the authors think the law should be decided.

High Courts and Labour Courts - and a bunch of other forums. No new precedent, so not reportable.

Family Court in New Zealand decided that I must pay $30,000 security when the ex-wife controls all the assets. This is so unusual it should have made the reports, but everyone knew that it was to get rid of the matter.

The High Court on appeal decided to make me pay surety before hearing the appeal despite the fact that I got a special dispensation to avoid the fees and was on welfare. Do you call that justice? It was sickening.

This is all laid out in my book. Skip the marital sections and go to the legal stuff. And then read the second half about how the prediction came about.
Old 9th September 2018, 06:38 AM   #1332
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

...and now homeopathy.

Common sense. Which I confirmed by reading and checking on the internet. Am I wrong?
Old 9th September 2018, 06:39 AM   #1333
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's possible to be genuinely concerned about the suffering of others and the future of humanity and still think someone who claims to receive personal messages from God about an imminent apocalypse is full of it.

Yes, it is.
Old 9th September 2018, 07:32 AM   #1334
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Common sense. Which I confirmed by reading and checking on the internet. Am I wrong?
Yes.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 07:59 AM   #1335
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Homeopathy is a pre-scientific magical theory. It doesn’t work. This comic strip explains the history and some of the major problems with homeopathy in a succinct and layman friendly manner.

http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.co...omeopathy.html
Old 9th September 2018, 08:21 AM   #1336
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Homeopathy is a pre-scientific magical theory. It doesn’t work. This comic strip explains the history and some of the major problems with homeopathy in a succinct and layman friendly manner.

http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.co...omeopathy.html

See also this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/fun...poorly01.shtml

Old 9th September 2018, 10:41 AM   #1337
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

...and now homeopathy.
Sorry, what has letting a fever run its course got to do with homeopathy?

The idea that fever is the body working to cure the problem and that there is no need to bring a mild one down is mainstream; I was certainly aware of it. A quick google finds this:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/168266.php

Quote:
A high body temperature, or fever, is one of the ways our immune system attempts to combat an infection. Usually, the rise in body temperature helps the individual resolve an infection. However, sometimes it may rise too high, in which case, the fever can be serious and lead to complications.

Doctors say that as long as the fever is mild, there is no need to bring it down - if the fever is not severe, it is probably helping to neutralize the bacterium or virus that is causing the infection.
Old 9th September 2018, 12:16 PM   #1338
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I think it has more to do with the claim that
a; it will get better if you heat yourself up when you have a fever and
b; that is impossible to overheat if you have a fever as your immune system will never do bad things to your body.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 12:39 PM   #1339
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Yes, as usual PS is talking 5% sense and 95% nonsense, but I still don't see what any of it has to do with homeopathy.
Old 9th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #1340
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
A drop of sense in a dilution still makes a lot of sense?
Old 10th September 2018, 08:01 AM   #1341
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Send me all your money.
You have a check incoming written from my account with the 1st National Bank of Brigadoon.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 08:07 AM   #1342
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Whatever the gardener had is very infectious. By 4 pm, my right teeth starting hurting. By 5 pm, my right ear was blocked and painful. By 7 pm, I had a sore throat. I slept last night with the electric blanket on and my CPAP on the maximum of 30 deg. I am slightly better, but must be careful today. Am taking hot water with honey, ginger, and lemon.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 01:50 PM   #1343
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
You have a check incoming written from my account with the 1st National Bank of Brigadoon.
Could you deposit it by owl at Gringott's?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 02:33 PM   #1344
aleCcowaN

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Am taking hot water with honey, ginger, and lemon.
Your ability to stick to the topic is amazing: you, you, you, you and you.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:57 AM   #1345
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

The Sign of the End Times to End All Signs of the End Times:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...281a2dc5cd39d1
Old 11th September 2018, 09:08 AM   #1346
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

And then there's this issue in Texas:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/wink-sink

Quote:
Revelation 6:14
And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:15 AM   #1347
aleCcowaN

The Temple Institute.

Old 11th September 2018, 09:18 AM   #1348
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Could you deposit it by owl at Gringott's?
I have no Owl handy, but do have a good strong rabbit that I will dispatch immediately.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:33 PM   #1349
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Your ability to stick to the topic is amazing: you, you, you, you and you.
PS is in the running for The World's Most Interesting Man.

Unfortunately he's running here instead of in the appropriate venue- Youtube!

Old 17th September 2018, 10:13 AM   #1350
Steve
Illuminator

Mom cow looks to be the same color. Wonder where she was born?

Also, looks more brown than red. If it was a horse it would be sorrel or chestnut.
Old 21st September 2018, 09:56 PM   #1351
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

My experiences (and those of other people) are often microcosms of the larger world. The corruption, the greed, the lack of ethics, the illnesses, the problems with resources/politicians/toxins, and the problems with large corporations whose primary drives are profit before social good.

The world is at a tipping point like never before.
Nothing you've just listed is new, and most have been far worse in the past.

People who wrongly generalise from their own personal experiences have been two a penny throughout recorded history too, and have been responsible for most of its difficulties.

Quote:
This forum is blindsided by the God of science and discards anything that has no scientific explanation - the benefits of therapies that work are scorned and ignored if they are not understood scientifically.
For the umpteenth time: it's anything with no scientific evidence which is rightly dismissed by the members of this forum. If, for example, there was objective evidence of the efficacy of homeopathy then it would be accepted, and the fact that there was no scientific explanation would just mean that our understanding was incomplete, and we would have to look for one. If that meant throwing out everything we currently think we understand about chemistry (which in the case of homeopathy it certainly would) then that is what we would have to do. But we don't have to do that, because we have established beyond reasonable doubt that homepathy doesn't work.

Quote:
The world needs change - a middle way. Not the extremists one finds here.
Requiring evidence before accepting extraordinary claims is not extremist. Imagining you receive personal messages from God via unexceptional coincidences, however ....
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:00 AM   #1352
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning I am going to try to split off the health-related posts to another thread - this may take a little time. In the meantime, would you all please return to discussing the "End Times" in this thread.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 24th September 2018, 06:20 AM   #1353
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Mod Warning I am going to try to split off the health-related posts to another thread - this may take a little time. In the meantime, would you all please return to discussing the "End Times" in this thread.
Posted By:Agatha
Thanks.
Old 24th September 2018, 06:31 AM   #1354
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Do you realize what a 60 percent drop in global population will do?

During the Spanish flu, workers abandoned their jobs and went home. No firefighters, no gravediggers.

One third of the deaths were from the flu. The rest were from fires, starvation and other preventable causes.

In today's technological world it will be much worse. No electricity, no water, no sanitation, no medicine, no food, no transportation, no communication. Manufacturing plants will rapidly decay and become unrecoverable. People will flood out of the cities. And with GMO seedless plants what are they going to plant for crops? Humankind is sowing the seeds of the disaster. God is going to let it happen. He is not the cause.

Those with practical skills will survive. Elitists and loners will not. Religion will rise as people seek answers.

The question is not if it will happen but when.

Even fungal diseases are acquiring immunity to the medicines. So far they are not transmitted person to person.
Old 24th September 2018, 06:48 AM   #1355
halleyscomet
Philosopher

During the Spanish flu, workers abandoned their jobs and went home. No firefighters, no gravediggers.

One third of the deaths were from the flu. The rest were from fires, starvation and other preventable causes.

In today's technological world it will be much worse. No electricity, no water, no sanitation, no medicine, no food, no transportation, no communication. Manufacturing plants will rapidly decay and become unrecoverable. People will flood out of the cities. And with GMO seedless plants what are they going to plant for crops? Humankind is sowing the seeds of the disaster. God is going to let it happen. He is not the cause.

Those with practical skills will survive. Elitists and loners will not. Religion will rise as people seek answers.

Even fungal diseases are acquiring immunity to the medicines. So far they are not transmitted person to person.
Whats your point?

Are you seriously STILL trying to claim your vague, "Something bad will eventually happen" as some sort of prophesy?

Why do you keep restating the obvious?
Old 24th September 2018, 06:57 AM   #1356
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

At the very least, be noticeable. And yet no such thing has been noticed.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 06:58 AM   #1357
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What is it about such a disaster that fills you with such glee?

Bzzzzzs. Wrong.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 09:11 AM   #1358
aleCcowaN

Poisoned. False. False. False. False. And false.
Old 24th September 2018, 09:59 PM   #1359
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

a 60% drop in population would be horrendous, but with martial law and the lesser need for resources it would be survivable. We would not need to maintain all the infrastructure, just enough.

Of course, the chances of that happening due to a natural disease are virtually 0 given our current medical knowledge and general sanitation.
It would take a bio-engineered and world wide targeted virus to do that.

As for the nice bit of God is going to let it happen. He is not the cause bit.
Any God that is like that is one that needs active persecution, not worship.

If I watch somebody drunk do something stupid and fall in the water where I could easily rescue him, without any risk to myself, and I instead stand at the side and say 'Well, I didn't push him in, so I'll let him drown' that would make me a murderer by proxy, not a paragon of virtue.
A truly loving and caring god would prevent such a disaster. But then the god you worship is a vindictive monster, which just exists to in your fantasies punish anyone who did you wrong or slighted you.
Old 24th September 2018, 10:45 PM   #1360
fagin
Philosopher

The question is not if it will happen but when....
Did you just foresee Brexit?

.....Even fungal diseases are acquiring immunity to the medicines. So far they are not transmitted person to person.
I once employed a lady called Candida. We nicknamed her Thrush. AFAIK she wasn't contagious.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy