ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th December 2018, 11:42 PM   #41
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
One of my best received sets is about the, completely true, silly amount of anxiety lying gives me, even for normal cultural interactions. Don't make me lie to you. I hate being asked, 'how are you doing?' because even though I know that no matter how I am actually doing, 'fine' is a perfectly...fine...answer. Yet, when I'm not fine, also known as most of the time, I mentally have to fight to answer with a polite lie. It's torture. So I've found some ways to compensate, such as the stupid joke answer, 'I don't know, no one has told me yet today', but then one day I said the best true thing I could think of. I'm still standing. It seemed like the most positive true thing. For a long time that became my standard answer. Then at work I was just about to answer that when around the corner comes a guy in a wheelchair. I had already got out a loud, "I'm still," so I froze for second and said..."Breathing!"

That's when I saw his oxygen tank.
Good stuff. I can picture the delivery and timing. I have always wanted to try my hand at standup but never put together a routine as my humor is off the cuff and situational, dependent on who is there and what the conversation is about at the moment. Have great respect for the attention to detail required to deliver a good set. Bad part is it is harder to find comedians that actually make me laugh out loud, as opposed to appreciating the content and delivery these days. Guess it's like a rapper that can see the next line of a freestyle by the set up and word choice.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 06:14 AM   #42
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the older folks know "it's just a joke" while the college age kids are such snowflakes they can't handle being made fun of ? Their Mommas raised them that way, the current society added to it.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 07:05 AM   #43
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That's a brilliant line.

It's cargo-cult anti bigotry.
And that in turn is a pretty good line itself.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 08:15 AM   #44
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Perhaps the older folks know "it's just a joke" while the college age kids are such snowflakes they can't handle being made fun of ? Their Mommas raised them that way, the current society added to it.
It never fails to amuse me that people try so desperately to frame standing up for yourself as being a 'snowflake'. Sorry, no. Challenging someone's power to 'joke' about you isn't a weakness. What is a weakness is to pass off the substantively critical parts of mean jokes as 'just a joke' to avoid having to acknowledge that through standing up to it the 'snowflake' is rejecting your power to 'joke' however you want without challenge. 'How DARE you try to make me think about my words!' It's a flaccid whine.

Not every criticism of a joke is valid, but the making of the criticism in and of itself is no weakness. You're not entitled to not be challenged just because 'it's a joke', and certainly not because you're old.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 08:34 AM   #45
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It never fails to amuse me that people try so desperately to frame standing up for yourself as being a 'snowflake'. Sorry, no. Challenging someone's power to 'joke' about you isn't a weakness. What is a weakness is to pass off the substantively critical parts of mean jokes as 'just a joke' to avoid having to acknowledge that through standing up to it the 'snowflake' is rejecting your power to 'joke' however you want without challenge. 'How DARE you try to make me think about my words!' It's a flaccid whine.

Not every criticism of a joke is valid, but the making of the criticism in and of itself is no weakness. You're not entitled to not be challenged just because 'it's a joke', and certainly not because you're old.
Were not talking about the classic "****** jokes" that were about murder and mayhem. We're talking about the concept that nobody would choose to be gay because of it's social disadvantage. If you take offense at that, you ARE a Snowflake.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 08:57 AM   #46
Marcus
Master Poster

Nah, Casebro is right, a lot of Millenials are snowflakes.Also, his post didn't seem desperate to me.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 09:18 AM   #47
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

The part I understand about “refrain from talking about other people’s oppression” I got from an op ed type thing where a white girl went out to her favorite mall with some kind of mild Islamic style head covering on and described how people treated her. And initially it was a very popular article, then got some pushback of the type described here. I can understand a person who lives that every day feeling a little galled that nobody wants to listen to them when they talk about their experience but some cute white girl dresses up and everyone is suddenly paying attention.

But I’ve got mixed feelings. It seems like human nature to listen to someone you already find charismatic and sympathetic and more like you. So while ideally it would be better if we listened to the actual annoyed party, the message currently spreads more efficiently when a cute white girl says it.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 03:14 PM   #48
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Right! Who doesn't like a cute white girl?
Old 8th December 2018, 03:31 PM   #49
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
A gay French king.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 03:37 PM   #50
Thermal
Philosopher

Their victims
Old 8th December 2018, 03:49 PM   #51
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Maybe after the 2nd or 3rd time..
Old 8th December 2018, 08:23 PM   #52
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Were not talking about the classic "****** jokes" that were about murder and mayhem. We're talking about the concept that nobody would choose to be gay because of it's social disadvantage. If you take offense at that, you ARE a Snowflake.
Ah, I thought you had read the thread that had moved on past what turned out to be an incorrect characterization.

But even taking that into account, you contradict yourself and my response still stands. IF you saying taking offense at the concept of gay not being a choice because then black people wouldn't choose to be both black and gay makes you a snowflake, that means you are contending that this ISN'T making fun of them. Or 'their momma raising them'. Theses defenses are thus mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Nah, Casebro is right, a lot of Millenials are snowflakes.Also, his post didn't seem desperate to me.
No, Casebro is simply wrong, but yes, a lot of Millenials are snowflakes. This is because a lot of people in general are snowflakes. Millenials are just substantially less so than most recent generations.

This is easily proven because as a group Millenials don't throw a fit about school integration, the wrong race drinking from the same fountain, nor about their stupid participation trophies to losers who committed treason trying to keep other humans as property being torn down. They don't demand that bra straps never, ever show, nor worry about if the genitals of the person in the next stall match theirs. They've never needed their tables to have skirts to prevent men from being 'sexually aroused' by the table legs. They don't write their representatives about their cultural norms being examined or questioned.

It is always desperate when the position is, 'have you considered that that entire generation are just weak compared to our stone cold tough carelessness?'
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2018, 08:25 PM   #53
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe after the 2nd or 3rd time..
Naw, the first time is more than enough. Second time is hate. Third time is numb.
Old 9th December 2018, 05:41 PM   #54
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Humor has always been a very subjective thing. There's always been comedy some people love that other people are horrified by; there's always been jokes that fall flat or backfire. It's hard for me to summon sympathy for a comedian who's complaining that the audience didn't like his jokes, regardless of the reason.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 11:26 AM   #55
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Humor has always been a very subjective thing. There's always been comedy some people love that other people are horrified by; there's always been jokes that fall flat or backfire. It's hard for me to summon sympathy for a comedian who's complaining that the audience didn't like his jokes, regardless of the reason.
Agreed. A bit like a boxer complaining that he kept getting punched in the face.

And tyr_13, thanks for your posts in this thread. Your humor reminds me of my kids, in a very good way.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 03:54 PM   #56
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

No, Casebro is simply wrong, but yes, a lot of Millenials are snowflakes. This is because a lot of people in general are snowflakes. Millenials are just substantially less so than most recent generations.

This is easily proven because as a group Millenials don't throw a fit about school integration, the wrong race drinking from the same fountain, nor about their stupid participation trophies to losers who committed treason trying to keep other humans as property being torn down. They don't demand that bra straps never, ever show, nor worry about if the genitals of the person in the next stall match theirs. They've never needed their tables to have skirts to prevent men from being 'sexually aroused' by the table legs. They don't write their representatives about their cultural norms being examined or questioned.

It is always desperate when the position is, 'have you considered that that entire generation are just weak compared to our stone cold tough carelessness?'
A thousand times this.

No one generation or demographic has the market cornered on snowflake-ism, and the term is so overused and abused that it’s lost all meaning.

It’s gotten to the point that the surest sign of someone being a snowflake is when they accuse someone else of being a snowflake.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 04:59 PM   #57
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
The part I understand about “refrain from talking about other people’s oppression” I got from an op ed type thing where a white girl went out to her favorite mall with some kind of mild Islamic style head covering on and described how people treated her. And initially it was a very popular article, then got some pushback of the type described here. I can understand a person who lives that every day feeling a little galled that nobody wants to listen to them when they talk about their experience but some cute white girl dresses up and everyone is suddenly paying attention.

But I’ve got mixed feelings. It seems like human nature to listen to someone you already find charismatic and sympathetic and more like you. So while ideally it would be better if we listened to the actual annoyed party, the message currently spreads more efficiently when a cute white girl says it.
Good thing Black Like Me wasn't published today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 05:15 PM   #58
angrysoba
Philosophile

Sure, but listening to them? That's another story.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 05:19 PM   #59
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What does that mean?
Old 10th December 2018, 05:24 PM   #60
angrysoba
Philosophile

What does that mean?
It's just a joke! I didn't expect snowflakes this early in winter. Jeez Louise!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 05:31 PM   #61
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Snowflakes:

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/snowflake
Old 10th December 2018, 07:10 PM   #62
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Good thing Black Like Me wasn't published today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me
Golly, yeah, if it was published today he might get such a negative reaction that he’d end up having to move to Mexico for a few years out of fear for his safety. Oh wait.
Lithrael is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 07:33 PM   #63
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It's just a joke! I didn't expect snowflakes this early in winter. Jeez Louise!
We must be from different generations, what with not getting each other's jokes.

Baby boomer here..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 10th December 2018 at 07:34 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 07:46 PM   #64
angrysoba
Philosophile

We must be from different generations, what with not getting each other's jokes.

Baby boomer here..
It wasn't a very good joke, I will admit. It was a facetious reference to the idea that "we" (straight men) like cute girls but that women aren't listened to.

Old 10th December 2018, 08:44 PM   #65
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Good stuff. I can picture the delivery and timing. I have always wanted to try my hand at standup but never put together a routine as my humor is off the cuff and situational, dependent on who is there and what the conversation is about at the moment. Have great respect for the attention to detail required to deliver a good set. Bad part is it is harder to find comedians that actually make me laugh out loud, as opposed to appreciating the content and delivery these days. Guess it's like a rapper that can see the next line of a freestyle by the set up and word choice.
I've never thought I'd be good at comedy, but people always seem to laugh at me, so maybe I'll give it a go.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:57 PM   #66
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've never thought I'd be good at comedy, but people always seem to laugh at me, so maybe I'll give it a go.
People always used to laugh when I said I'd like to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now!

Old 10th December 2018, 08:58 PM   #67
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
A thousand times this.

No one generation or demographic has the market cornered on snowflake-ism, and the term is so overused and abused that it’s lost all meaning.

It’s gotten to the point that the surest sign of someone being a snowflake is when they accuse someone else of being a snowflake.
Nnnnnaaaah, not really. Cool one-liner though. It's funny watching y'all jerk each other off in these threads.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:12 PM   #68
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Nnnnnaaaah, not really. Cool one-liner though. It's funny watching y'all jerk each other off in these threads.
Not being one with such voyeuristic proclivities, I much prefer to watch the edgelords in this thread try to fool everyone into believing that they’re emotionally healthy adults with valid opinions.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 12:03 AM   #69
Scootch
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That is pretty funny, open with that!
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 06:49 AM   #70
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Nominated.

The problem here is that the conservative/reactionary faction of society has traded on snowflakism for the better part of a century, they've been professionally offended by the wrong coloured people sharing their space, by the wrongly-oriented people teaching schools, the wrong-gendered people sharing their bathrooms, by the wrong words in song lyrics, by the wrong pictures in magazines and home videos, by the wrong holiday sentiments, wrong belief systems, wrong clothing styles, and wrong movements of little green pieces of paper.

They've defined their lives around being offended by anything and everything, and using that offendedness to control people and culture. Now they're faced with another group whose beliefs and lifestyles are anathema to the conservatives, but who play the game much better and more effectively; and they're unable to cope with that fact.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 06:54 AM   #71
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Not being one with such voyeuristic proclivities, I much prefer to watch the edgelords in this thread try to fool everyone into believing that they’re emotionally healthy adults with valid opinions.

One of my favorite comments on the subject of snowflakeism is from John Cleese in a tweet from last summer: Yes I've heard this word [snowflake]. I think sociopaths use it in an attempt to discredit the notion of empathy.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 07:22 AM   #72
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Nominated.

The problem here is that the conservative/reactionary faction of society has traded on snowflakism for the better part of a century, they've been professionally offended by the wrong coloured people sharing their space, by the wrongly-oriented people teaching schools, the wrong-gendered people sharing their bathrooms, by the wrong words in song lyrics, by the wrong pictures in magazines and home videos, by the wrong holiday sentiments, wrong belief systems, wrong clothing styles, and wrong movements of little green pieces of paper.

They've defined their lives around being offended by anything and everything, and using that offendedness to control people and culture. Now they're faced with another group whose beliefs and lifestyles are anathema to the conservatives, but who play the game much better and more effectively; and they're unable to cope with that fact.
Christians in Ohio are protesting because the courthouse won't put up a nativity scene

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...ativity-scene/

Talk about snowflakes!
Old 11th December 2018, 07:58 AM   #73
Donal
Illuminator

So, my Facebook feed has folks who like to put up memes about how easily offended people are and how soft America has become (not that any of them have actually served in the military or anything like that)

Every one of them has posted something about "not being allowed to say Merry Christmas", freaking out about football players kneeling before a game, and blogs pointing out flaws in 50 year old holiday specials.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 08:24 AM   #74
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
So, my Facebook feed has folks who like to put up memes about how easily offended people are and how soft America has become (not that any of them have actually served in the military or anything like that)

Every one of them has posted something about "not being allowed to say Merry Christmas", freaking out about football players kneeling before a game, and blogs pointing out flaws in 50 year old holiday specials.
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'm glad to hear that Facebook is working well for you.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 10:21 AM   #75
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'm glad to hear that Facebook is working well for you.
*Nods while scrolling feed*

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 01:01 PM   #76
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

You're thinking the youngest of the GenX.

There are fewer universal cultural truths for Millenials than with some other generations, but check out memes, as in the picture and GIF ones and not the general idea of mutating cultural references by imitating them (minema+gene=meme, which is a handy way to remember how to pronounce it).

However, there are lots they can relate to. Ironically enough, false suicide idealization is common. Jokes about anxiety, poverty, lack of power or sense of agency, absurdity of cultural norms of older people, constant disrespect and belittling, infantalization (the youngest Millenial is 17, with less than a month to be 18, the oldest is 37, it is not just 'young person'), and absurdity in general. Wordplay and puns are extremely popular. Absurd yet logical reasoning is as well.

One of my best received sets is about the, completely true, silly amount of anxiety lying gives me, even for normal cultural interactions. Don't make me lie to you. I hate being asked, 'how are you doing?' because even though I know that no matter how I am actually doing, 'fine' is a perfectly...fine...answer. Yet, when I'm not fine, also known as most of the time, I mentally have to fight to answer with a polite lie. It's torture. So I've found some ways to compensate, such as the stupid joke answer, 'I don't know, no one has told me yet today', but then one day I said the best true thing I could think of. I'm still standing. It seemed like the most positive true thing. For a long time that became my standard answer. Then at work I was just about to answer that when around the corner comes a guy in a wheelchair. I had already got out a loud, "I'm still," so I froze for second and said..."Breathing!"

That's when I saw his oxygen tank.

It obviously loses quite a lot in text as opposed to on stage, there is a LONG set on all the problems my aversion has caused me. An expressive face helps. But the key to that set is that everyone, but especially Millenials, have what we each feel is an abnormal amount of anxiety around everyday, near ritualistic, social interactions. It's a universal feeling that near everyone can relate with, taken to some absurd levels.

'Bad at adult' is super popular with us.
Side note: one of my standard answers has been "I woke up breathing today, so I figured I should go ahead and participate."

A prior dodge, "I'm here," would often get an ill reception.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 03:09 PM   #77
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It wasn't a very good joke, I will admit. It was a facetious reference to the idea that "we" (straight men) like cute girls but that women aren't listened to.
We were both on the same page.

I may not need to explain, but my retort of " What does that mean? " was my suggesting that I did not understand the concept of listening to a cute white girl.
Old 11th December 2018, 03:22 PM   #78
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

We were both on the same page.

I may not need to explain, but my retort of " What does that mean? " was my suggesting that I did not understand the concept of listening to a cute white girl.
This is the funniest post I have read all day, in a sort of "ventriloquist with dead dummy" sort of way. (That's a compliment.)

Old 11th December 2018, 03:35 PM   #79
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
This is the funniest post I have read all day, in a sort of "ventriloquist with dead dummy" sort of way. (That's a compliment.)
Agreed! Get thee to the ISF Humor Section. And don't spare the whip.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 09:01 AM   #80
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Its the only way I can keep tabs on my elderly relatives. And the folks from high school that, honestly, I have no idea why I still talk to them.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events