ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th December 2018, 06:14 AM   #241
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Can you list these "horrible phony Western wars"?

I'm going to suggest that they were all staged and didn't happen and that you are being paid by those in power to.use conspiracy theories to give the sheeple an illegitimate target for their anger .
Oceania has never been at war with Eurasia we have always been at war with Eastasia. Have you been reading fake news posts by Emannuel Goldstein?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 07:33 AM   #242
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Add in the lives destroyed by antivax conspiracy theories, for example those claiming that the vaccines are attempts by the West to sterilize African Muslims.
And the anti-GMO\Mosanto idiots who block things like Golden Rice
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 07:54 AM   #243
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
And the anti-GMO\Mosanto idiots who block things like Golden Rice
Yes, and don't block Ruby Grapefruits. I'll believe anti GMO protestors are serious the day I see them picketing Ruby Grapefruit and insisting anyone who drinks the juice will turn into a meta human. (It doesn't work the nearest I've come to becoming grapefruit girl is being called a coconut.)
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 08:48 AM   #244
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Quote:
"Conspiracy theories are dumb, because if they weren't dumb they wouldn't be called conspiracy theories". Not an argument.

You are correct here. This is not an argument, it is a statement of fact.

Yes, I think the disconnect here is that they think "That is a Conspiracy Theory" is used as an argument, when what it actually is is a conclusion.

"Your "facts" are wrong, your "logic" is skewed, your paranoia is apparent, and your conclusions are trash, therefore you're promoting a conspiracy theory." "You're just saying it's illogical because you've already dismissed it as a conspiracy theory!"

Part of the problem might stem from the fact that we can see through their BS so quickly, it appears to them that we're not actually going through that process. But of course, after you've repeatedly seen the Alex Jones "Everything is a False Flag" act that he deploys immediately after virtually everything that happens, it's not too hard to conclude that it's just his usual BS.
Old 9th December 2018, 08:56 AM   #245
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
We are talking about facts that prove that your notion of Western exceptionalism and planet Earth in general are as fake as the fake unicorns Westerners think North Koreans believe in. The general public should be rightfully confused. The conspiracy theorists are the last who should be blamed.

We are also talking about people who willingly chose to become public figures by appearing on the news, with some choosing to become figures in the gun control movement.

The Alex Jones Sandy Hook lawsuit was a bad thing. No question in my mind that Jones should have the right to question public figures to such an extent. If somebody goes on TV and flaps their mouth, I should be able to flip on a camera and flap my mouth about what they just said. Sorry sometimes people get hurt, but people get hurt the other way too.
But Jones is not being sued for questioning any of the parents. He is being sued because he knowingly made false claims of fact maliciously or with reckless disregard for the truth.

You can go on TV and flap your mouth. You can express doubt (an opinion). You can ask questions. You can point out inconsistencies. The only thing you risk being sued for is making a false claim of fact maliciously and/or recklessly.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 09:21 AM   #246
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
But Jones is not being sued for questioning any of the parents. He is being sued because he knowingly made false claims of fact maliciously or with reckless disregard for the truth.

You can go on TV and flap your mouth. You can express doubt (an opinion). You can ask questions. You can point out inconsistencies. The only thing you risk being sued for is making a false claim of fact maliciously and/or recklessly.
and jones is still free to do what he has before. but no one has to give him a venue for it.
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2018, 11:47 AM   #247
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yes, I think the disconnect here is that they think "That is a Conspiracy Theory" is used as an argument, when what it actually is is a conclusion.

"Your "facts" are wrong, your "logic" is skewed, your paranoia is apparent, and your conclusions are trash, therefore you're promoting a conspiracy theory." "You're just saying it's illogical because you've already dismissed it as a conspiracy theory!"

Part of the problem might stem from the fact that we can see through their BS so quickly, it appears to them that we're not actually going through that process. But of course, after you've repeatedly seen the Alex Jones "Everything is a False Flag" act that he deploys immediately after virtually everything that happens, it's not too hard to conclude that it's just his usual BS.
In this specific case these are the basic facts:

December 14, 2012, Adam Lanza shot his mother and then drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he murdered 20 children under 7 years of age, and 7 adults.

Immediately after the attack there were the now usual calls for new gun control legislation.

Some of the parents added their voices for new anti-gun legislation.

To date, while some states updated their gun control legislation, there has been no serious change to federal gun legislation based on the events at Sandy Hook (Trump, of all people, has successfully just banned bump-stocks, but this followed another mass shooting).

The legitimate argument to be made is that anti-Second Amendment and garden variety gun control advocates use mass shootings as an attempt to push their agendas. This is not in dispute by any one.

The legitimate counter argument is to point out that none of these shootings happened in a vacuum, and the events leading up to them are mostly different. To tar all gun owners as potential monsters is unrealistic and unreasonable.

The illegitimate argument is the CT BS line that the shooting didn't happen at all, that there were no children killed, and that the parents are really paid performers who parrot anti-gun talking points. There are no facts whatsoever to support this claim (YouTube videos made the by mentally ill, and neo-Nazis are not factual evidence).

CTists never see how this line of thinking undermines their endgame in this case because it makes it easier to dismiss gun-rights advocates who are not mentally ill because they are on the same side of the line as the Sandy Hook CT-Bozos like Alex Jones. They are figuratively shooting themselves in their clown shoes. Their actions ad strain to what is already a heated debate in this country. Their stupidity is counter productive.

What MJ and most CTists are advocating in this case can be framed this way:

I have a right to relieve myself in my pants any time and anywhere I want, no matter if its a hot city bus, subway car, trans-Atlantic flight, or fine restaurant. If the smell bothers you and if my soiled trousers ruin the furniture and carpets that's your problem because I HAVE MY RIGHTS!

Last edited by Axxman300; 9th December 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 06:01 PM   #248
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
and jones is still free to do what he has before. but no one has to give him a venue for it.
That's the other really important thing to remember. It's only censorship if the government does it. Nothing obligates FaceBook, Twitter or anyone else to give you a venue. They are free to protect their brands and not allow that material on their sites/platforms.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 12:18 PM   #249
Axxman300
Illuminator

Today is the 6th anniversary of the Sandy Hook massacre.

Somebody just phoned in a bomb threat to Sandy Hook Elementary:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/san...e-anniversary/

There are so many things I want to say, and all of them would get me banned.

I'll keep it simple.

If you believe that Sandy Hook was a false flag operation, and that there are no dead children, and the parents who have become activists are crisis actors there is no way that you are a good person, and you should be treated as such.
Old 14th December 2018, 12:22 PM   #250
Whip
Graduate Poster

well, there has been mass of threats to many different targets the last 2 days
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 12:35 PM   #251
Axxman300
Illuminator

Yes, Oklahoma City, and Synagogues. Right now the cops don't think this one is related, but they all share the Neo-Nazi stench.
Old 14th December 2018, 12:41 PM   #252
smartcooky
Philosopher

This is what I define as potential harm caused by the vile garbage Alex Jones spouts.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 02:37 PM   #253
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Can you sue someone for being a moronic lunatic?
Unfortunately, no, you can't sue fools just because they are republickers

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 02:38 PM   #254
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Good.

Seriously, Jones' false conspiracy crap was a large part of his idiot listeners hounding these people, sending them death threats, and other real-world nightmares. I'd be perfectly happy if they put him out of business for good.
I have a much better idea.

Wash this space!

fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 02:42 PM   #255
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

There are so many things I want to say, and all of them would get me banned.

I'll keep it simple.

If you believe that Sandy Hook was a false flag operation, and that there are no dead children, and the parents who have become activists are crisis actors there is no way that you are a good person, and you should be treated as such.
Actually you could say perhaps, "I would love to see them being involved in medical trials." Just don't go into what is planned for the trials.

Wash this space!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories