ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #2841
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
For the same quality you take the lower price
This is trivially true, but not always true. If Store A has a good for $100 and Store B has the exact same good for $75, of course I will buy from Store B. But if I come across a guy in the street who has seemingly the same good for $10, well...I have a lot of reasons to avoid that guy; the good is stolen, it’s of inferior quality, it’s used, etc etc.

I wouldn’t buy a supposedly genuine Louis Vuitton bag for $10. I wouldn’t buy a $500 Ferrari. There are too many risks involved. The lowest price is not always the only factor to consider.

Why is a LV leather bag $3000 and a Michael Kors leather bag $300? I would argue they are of similar quality. The LV bag is certainly not 10 times better quality. People pay for things other than quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 02:43 AM   #2842
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
This is trivially true, but not always true. If Store A has a good for $100 and Store B has the exact same good for $75, of course I will buy from Store B. But if I come across a guy in the street who has seemingly the same good for $10, well...I have a lot of reasons to avoid that guy; the good is stolen, it’s of inferior quality, it’s used, etc etc.

I wouldn’t buy a supposedly genuine Louis Vuitton bag for $10. I wouldn’t buy a $500 Ferrari. There are too many risks involved. The lowest price is not always the only factor to consider.

Why is a LV leather bag $3000 and a Michael Kors leather bag $300? I would argue they are of similar quality. The LV bag is certainly not 10 times better quality. People pay for things other than quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have an offer for a Ferrari at 100,000$ and another one for free, which one will you take? People always take the cheapest.

Last edited by Gaetan; Today at 02:44 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #2843
fagin
Philosopher

Firstly, the only place you'll see a free Ferrari is in your little fantasy world.

Secondly, no. A cheap Ferrari will end up being a stupidly expensive Ferrari, once you've sorted out everything wrong with it.

As a person who runs an old MG, and an even older Porsche as my daily drivers, trust me, I know.
Old Today, 06:29 AM   #2844
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You have an offer for a Ferrari at 100,000$ and another one for free, which one will you take? People always take the cheapest.
Are there free Ferraris for the taking? If not, why not?

Isn't it your plan to make them all free?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:01 AM   #2845
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Are you saying that people would take things if they were free without working for them?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #2846
Leftus
Muse

Oh, I'd take the 100K one in a heartbeat. The zero dollar one is going to cost more than 100K to get running. Anything that below market is someone trying to unload a problem, not do you a favor. Not that 100K is a bargain, since even that would be below market.

Reverse the question, which one would you give away for free? The one that doesn't run, or the one working perfectly?

Last edited by Leftus; Today at 01:15 PM.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance