ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Seth abramson

Old 14th March 2018, 01:27 PM   #201
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Do not fall for conspiracy theories folks, not once, not ever, not even as a joke.
At what point between voting for a conspiracy theorist for president and now did you decide conspiracy theories were bad?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 01:37 PM   #202
Belz...
Fiend God

You see, johnny, I and tens of thousands of like minded citizens "wrote in" Sanders for President.
Pull the other one.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 01:55 PM   #203
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So Seth is throwing Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz, who was appointed by Obama under the bus, based on absolutely nothing at all but his own spittle soaked conspiracy theories.

This is EXACTLY what I was warning you all about.
Old 14th March 2018, 02:06 PM   #204
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Pull the other one.
Hey, the Dog says he voted for Bernie as a write-in. Surely this remarkable fan of Trump did just that. Let's take him at his word.

It does not follow, of course, that Bernie was a candidate for president. Rather, it only follows that a few folk wrote him in. That's not quite what folk mean by candidate. After all, I once wrote in Joe Walsh, but he wasn't a candidate.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 02:09 PM   #205
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Hey, the Dog says he voted for Bernie as a write-in. ... Let's take him at his word.
Bingo, so perhaps we can get back to the thread subject?

What do you think of Seth throwing Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz under the bus and faking up "obstruction" charges?
Old 14th March 2018, 02:26 PM   #206
johnny karate

So Seth is throwing Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz, who was appointed by Obama under the bus, based on absolutely nothing at all but his own spittle soaked conspiracy theories.

This is EXACTLY what I was warning you all about.
Wait... what were you warning us about? That someone of no particular significance would express an opinion that has no real-world impact?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 02:37 PM   #207
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Wait... what were you warning us about? That someone of no particular significance would express an opinion that has no real-world impact?
Those aren't windmills on that hill, I promise!

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 04:37 PM   #208
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Sure, I might disagree with my preferred candidate on certain issues. But I donít then attack other people for holding the same views as my candidate on those issues while giving my candidate a pass. That would make me a raging hypocrite and a self-serving partisan crank.
How the heck are you assuming that TBD gave Trump a pass with respect to InfoWars? That doesn't even make sense.

Actually, almost none of your posts in this thread make sense. You've made a gross assumption about someone else, based on what you believe to be the case, and with that you've created a rather twisted interpretation of the OP... and then used that twisted interpretation to attack a fellow poster with, all while piling on all sorts of other imagined shortcomings.

There are a lot of things that I agree with you on... I'd venture to guess that I agree with you on most things. This, however, is not one of them.
Old 14th March 2018, 04:43 PM   #209
Emily's Cat

I'd think that having a positive view of a deranged man's conspiratorial stance is rather worse than the negative aspects of Clinton. Hillary wasn't by any means the cleanest candidate, but she was capable of critical thought. Trump is not.
And who do you think has a positive view of Trump's conspiratorial stance?

You may disagree, but I sure cast a vote for the sole sane candidate in 2016, and happily so. Nothing that has occurred since then has made me doubt my choice.

I think you're a decent person, desperate to play devil's advocate. You want to point out that Trump supporters are not uniformly bad people, and I agree. But they've made a bad choice. No president in recent memory is as badly qualified for this post as he. He's uniformly unqualified to lead our nation, and I doubt that you disagree upon careful reflection.
You keep confusing 'Trump Supporters' with 'People who don't lose sight of rationality and skepticism in their rabid zeal to make sure everything that ever touches Trump is considered unforgivable evil of the highest order'

Seriously, I do think he's not a good president. I don't think he's quite as bad as he's being made out to be, and I do think that the media has completely lost it's way and has become so obsessed with sensationalization that there IS a fair bit of false news out there... or at a minimum a lot of inaccurate reporting that isn't properly addressed. There's a huge amount of speculation, innuendo, and suggestion at play in the media right now, and it's being accepted as true without much thought at all by a WHOLE lot of people that I had previously considered critical thinkers.

You're not one of those, btw... but that is still my observation, and it really bothers me a lot to see people with whom I agree on 90% of things go so far over the cliff.
Old 14th March 2018, 04:44 PM   #210
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I think that everyone who still supports Trump can be said to be a bad person. Them making a bad choice at the election is one thing. To still support him is completely unforgivable.
Case in point

Seriously, nothing really makes one feel morally superior than fully demonizing other people with the zeal of a true believer, amirite?
Old 14th March 2018, 04:53 PM   #211
Emily's Cat

Hey, the Dog says he voted for Bernie as a write-in. Surely this remarkable fan of Trump did just that. Let's take him at his word.
Yeah, I don't think TBD is a fan of Trump. This is exactly what I was talking about - the tendency of some people to assume that anyone who engages in the unforgivable sin of calling out crappy journalism, speculation, and rampant emotionalism is somehow a 'supporter' of Trump. I've faced the exact same censure-by-ISF-mob... And I can guarantee that I am not a Trump supporter. I just don't think he's the devil-incarnate-evil-genius-while-simultaneously-the-stupidest-person-ever that the rest of you seem to think he is. Not suited for the job, ignorant of the impact of his actions, and not calm enough to be effective, yes. Also very likely suffering from some mental decline, although I grant that this may be partially stress-induced. I personally feel that I am perfectly capable of disliking this president without having to signal my mob-based hatred values to everyone else on the forum.

And if that somehow means that I'm part of the group of "evil them" who deserve castigation at every turn, and who are fair game for blatant insults and attack on this forum, and who a core group of people here have decided can never be "forgiven"... then so be it.

I'm an atheist, dogdamitalltohell. And that means I don't believe in the religion of politics either.
Old 14th March 2018, 04:55 PM   #212
Emily's Cat

I understand that you don't think Seth Abramson has any particular significance. But a large number of other posters on this forum frequently present his tweets as fact, and they frequently appeal to him as an authority.

So while I appreciate that he's not important to you... that doesn't invalidate the basis of this thread questioning his credibility.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:11 PM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, so you derailed the thrad just to chastise other posters for following suit?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 05:35 PM   #214
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Oh, so....
What do you think of Seth throwing Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz under the bus and faking up "obstruction" charges?
Old 14th March 2018, 06:59 PM   #215
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I understand that you don't think Seth Abramson has any particular significance. But a large number of other posters on this forum frequently present his tweets as fact, and they frequently appeal to him as an authority.
I've seen people link to his tweets as commentary on a particular issue, often with caveats. I've never seen anyone present his tweets as fact or appeal to him as an authority. Care to cite some examples?
Old 14th March 2018, 07:03 PM   #216
johnny karate

I don't think anything about it because it's not significant. What Seth Abrasion's opinion is just his opinion and nothing more. So why should anyone care? What impact is he having or harm is he doing by merely expressing an opinion?

Also, how does someone not in law enforcement fake obstruction charges?

Last edited by johnny karate; 14th March 2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:30 PM   #217
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

23 posts to make sure we know how not significant this is folks.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:53 PM   #218
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Let's see. Alex Jones says that Sandy Hook was staged, fluoridation is a government plot, gayness is caused by chemical warfare, people are being disappeared into FEMA camps, 911 was an inside job, satanists control the world ... I could go on at astounding length.

Seth Abramson says there was a pro-Clinton media narrative that didn't properly recognize Bernie's performance in the primaries.

Yup, on par, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Patty and Cathy, Mike and Ike, Coke and Pepsi.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:54 PM   #219
johnny karate

23 posts to make sure we know how not significant this is folks.
First of all, itís adorable that you counted my posts.

Secondly, I thought you wanted to discuss this. But I guess you just want to post your bizarre proclamations without being challenged.

Seriously though, how do figure that Seth Abramson faked obstruction charges? It kind of sounds like a crazy thing to say.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:59 PM   #220
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Let's see. Alex Jones says that Sandy Hook was staged, fluoridation is a government plot, gayness is caused by chemical warfare, people are being disappeared into FEMA camps, 911 was an inside job, satanists control the world ... I could go on at astounding length.

Seth Abramson says there was a pro-Clinton media narrative that didn't properly recognize Bernie's performance in the primaries.

Yup, on par, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Patty and Cathy, Mike and Ike, Coke and Pepsi.
Yup

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/tr...-le-1793957969
Old 14th March 2018, 11:46 PM   #221
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Between the time that voted for a conspiracy theorist for president and now, when exactly did you lose your appetite for conspiracy theories?
Gary Johnson is into conspiracy theories?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:08 AM   #222
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Gary Johnson is into conspiracy theories?
Well, he was a guest on Infowars in 2012 and appeared to agree with one world government nonsense, so yes.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 06:59 AM   #223
johnny karate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Well, he was a guest on Infowars in 2012 and appeared to agree with one world government nonsense, so yes.

Gary Johnson on Alex Jones, founder of Infowars:
Quote:
Keep up the vigilance. I appreciate what you do out there. I appreciate the things that you say ó the awareness.

On a completely unrelated note, as the Trump administration becomes increasingly more embarrassing and hard to defend, I wonder if the number of conservatives willing to admit that they voted for him will eventually fall to zero?

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

Big Dog, you made this goofy claim that Seth Abramson somehow faked obstruction charges against someone. Care to elaborate on that? Because frankly, it kind of sounds like you're pushing a conspiracy theory.
Old 15th March 2018, 07:40 AM   #224
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

Big Dog, you made this goofy claim that Seth Abramson somehow faked obstruction charges against someone. Care to elaborate on that? Because frankly, it kind of sounds like you're pushing a conspiracy theory.
That is a particularly egregious and bad faith interpretation of the several posts and the link I have posted. Why don't you read the several posts that Seth made asserting that Trump is committing obstruction and comment on those, because literally no one could reasonably interpret my post as asserting that the poet was bringing charges. He is the one faking up the claim that obstruction charges would be appropriate which is just another conspiracy lie by a partisan knuclehead

But what does it matter? I was told repeatedly that this thread is of "no importance" yet here we are, and the disingenuous posts pile up, 25, 26....

It is cool tho, keeps the thread right near the top of the page.
Old 15th March 2018, 08:03 AM   #225
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

He wrote an article about having engaged in "experimental journalism" with the intent of creating a false "metanarrative", because he believed that such metanarratives have a longer life span than the actual narrative does, and because he believed it would have more influence on people than actual facts do.
The sound of crickets. Yet again.

I don't have it in me to read Abramson's gibberish again in order to confirm, so I need to qualify this comment: It appears this is the product of a vivid imagination.

Last edited by varwoche; 15th March 2018 at 08:04 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 08:25 AM   #226
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The sound of crickets. Yet again.

I don't have it in me to read Abramson's gibberish again in order to confirm, so I need to qualify this comment: It appears this is the product of a vivid imagination.
Yes, exactly, it was the product of Seth's fevered imagination!

Old 15th March 2018, 12:54 PM   #227
johnny karate

That is a particularly egregious and bad faith interpretation of the several posts and the link I have posted. Why don't you read the several posts that Seth made asserting that Trump is committing obstruction and comment on those, because literally no one could reasonably interpret my post as asserting that the poet was bringing charges.
What posts? You failed to provide any links. Am I supposed to do the work you were too lazy to do yourself?

Also, you quite clearly said he was faking obstruction charges:

Twice, actually:

Quote:
He is the one faking up the claim that obstruction charges would be appropriate which is just another conspiracy lie by a partisan knuclehead
Itís adorable how you amended the wording of your claim and expected no one to notice. Absolutely adorable.

But seriouslyÖ ďfaking up the claimĒ? Is that supposed to mean something? I get that you had to pivot away from the garbled syntax of your original claim, but do you really think making the wording even more nonsensical was the way to go?
Old 15th March 2018, 01:15 PM   #228
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

What posts? You failed to provide any links. Am I supposed to do the work you were too lazy to do yourself?

Also, you quite clearly said he was faking obstruction charges:

Twice, actually:

Itís adorable how you amended the wording of your claim and expected no one to notice. Absolutely adorable.

But seriouslyÖ ďfaking up the claimĒ? Is that supposed to mean something? I get that you had to pivot away from the garbled syntax of your original claim, but do you really think making the wording even more nonsensical was the way to go?
A new record folks! Every single sentence with the exception of the first one is a lie.

wow.
Old 15th March 2018, 02:52 PM   #229
johnny karate

A new record folks! Every single sentence with the exception of the first one is a lie.
You know what? You did provide links. My apologies. I didn’t go back far enough to search for them.

However, I’m content to let the “folks” you think you’re playing to decide for themselves whether or not you claimed Abramson was “faking up” obstruction charges. Your posts saying exactly that speak for themselves. Not a lie.

The rest of the sentences were mostly questions, including the one you said wasn’t a lie. Not sure what makes you think questions can be lies, or why the sentence “What posts?” escaped your unfocused wrath.

Also, two of the remaining sentences said nice things about you.

It makes me sad you think those were lies.

Last edited by johnny karate; 15th March 2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 15th March 2018, 08:57 PM   #230
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

But a large number of other posters on this forum frequently present his tweets as fact, and they frequently appeal to him as an authority.

BS.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 15th March 2018 at 08:59 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 02:21 PM   #231
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Make sure you read his theory on experimental writing and metanarrative, otherwise known as lying.
Ahead of the curve. He was into alternative facts before they were cool.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2018, 09:32 PM   #232
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear is your sarcasm detector that broken?

Oh man!

Fantastic!
Our lie detectors beeped like crazy.
Old 18th June 2018, 01:18 PM   #233
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I have noticed a very discouraging uptick in people relying on (or should I say inflicting on us) the assorted musings of Poet and all-around silly person Seth Abramson.

Here is a more recent article containing the details of and links to his various nonsense

It is not a hoax it a hoax; "it’s a well-researched article intentionally misattributed to a fictional author.”

Don't let the poet do your thinking for you, not ever not even once....
Old 18th June 2018, 04:06 PM   #234
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I have noticed a very discouraging uptick in people relying on (or should I say inflicting on us) the assorted musings of Poet and all-around silly person Seth Abramson.
You're telling children not to believe in Santa Claus. Probably good for them long-term, but don't expect them to thank you for it.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events