ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:04 AM   #1361
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
I like long passwords, preferrably the CorrectHorseBatteryStaple kind. At my current job they have a password management system that will ask you to change your password ever so often. This system limits the password to 8 letters, 2 characters and no punctuation...

Funny thing is, it is possible to "circumvent" this system by changing your password using the ordinary Windows functionality. So I can have my 24 character password anyway.

At least IT doesn't ask for passwords. Not that I would tell them.
That's insane. Especially because in many cases an 8 character password is less secure than 7 characters, if NTLM is involved (and if they limit it, that suggests to me legacy software somewhere, which would make me suspect NTLM is still in use). It has to do with the way the hashes are broken up; basically it's 7 character chucks. That means an 8-char password has one char (the 8th) that only needs 26 attempts (36 with digits) to brute force. And knowing the last character can give a clue to the other 7.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:05 AM   #1362
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've never understood any modern software having a maximum complexity requirement on passwords.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:23 AM   #1363
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
That's insane. Especially because in many cases an 8 character password is less secure than 7 characters, if NTLM is involved (and if they limit it, that suggests to me legacy software somewhere, which would make me suspect NTLM is still in use). It has to do with the way the hashes are broken up; basically it's 7 character chucks. That means an 8-char password has one char (the 8th) that only needs 26 attempts (36 with digits) to brute force. And knowing the last character can give a clue to the other 7.
Possible links an IBM z/Series box? I understand RACF still has a 8-char password field.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:49 AM   #1364
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The reason Google's results are better than DuckDuckGo's is that Google knows you and knows what you're looking for.
I get better results from Google even when I'm using incognito mode. I'm pretty sure that a lot of Google's effectiveness is because they have more data and are better at mining it, in general. Even at the very beginning, before Chrome existed, before they knew much of anything about anyone, they were still a quantum leap forward in Internet search technology. The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button was a powerful demonstration of Google's baseline superiority to all other search engines.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 09:49 AM   #1365
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Possible links an IBM z/Series box? I understand RACF still has a 8-char password field.
Yeah, I was thinking along mainframe lines, too. We actually have an IBM mainframe, but we don't have that restriction. Not sure what they did differently here.
Old 7th October 2019, 01:45 PM   #1366
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I worked on one site where a three month job was over before I got an access card. And the person going on maternity leave never missed hers.
I had an experience like that, I was at a temp contract for about eight months and had to queue up at reception in the August heat in motorbike gear. One of my previous jobs was at a company that later went bust and this company wouldn't give me a pass without references from every employer in the last ten years.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 03:42 PM   #1367
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I get better results from Google even when I'm using incognito mode. I'm pretty sure that a lot of Google's effectiveness is because they have more data and are better at mining it, in general. Even at the very beginning, before Chrome existed, before they knew much of anything about anyone, they were still a quantum leap forward in Internet search technology. The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button was a powerful demonstration of Google's baseline superiority to all other search engines.
Even using incognito mode, Google uses about twenty different parameters to tailor your search results. Without incognito mode, it's more like forty. If you're logged on, it's about a hundred or so.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 03:45 PM   #1368
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In other news, the entire country appears to have returned from extended leave this morning.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 03:46 PM   #1369
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Even using incognito mode, Google uses about twenty different parameters to tailor your search results. Without incognito mode, it's more like forty. If you're logged on, it's about a hundred or so.
The same parameters that are available to every other search engine. And yet ddg does not perform as well.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 03:50 PM   #1370
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The same parameters that are available to every other search engine. And yet ddg does not perform as well.
DuckDuckGo does not tailor search results at all. That's the whole point.

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th October 2019, 12:59 AM   #1371
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've never understood any modern software having a maximum complexity requirement on passwords.
Most of the minimum requirements doesn't make much sense either.

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/...-requirements/
Old 8th October 2019, 01:04 AM   #1372
erlando
Graduate Poster

Nope. No such thing. It's a Windows-shop. That's why I can get away with using the ordinary Windows method for changing my password.

When I was onboarding I had to type my password on a keyboard in operations. While he didn't peek at my password he did comment on the length of my password. Something along the lines of "Holy crap that's a long password".

Yes. Yes it is. As an operations guy you should appreciate that.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:19 AM   #1373
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
I've solved a number of SAP issues this way. I've never been on an SAP system in my life. It's mind boggling.
The dynamic allocation of sort work files by Syncsort is in the 1%. Very confusef
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:01 PM   #1374
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Well today I learned that because of the latest reorg I get another new boss.

My fourth in as many years.

It's annoying because 1) I hate training new bosses and 2) I really really like this one I have right now.

Bleah.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:14 PM   #1375
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Most of the minimum requirements doesn't make much sense either.

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/...-requirements/
Wow, that recommendation eliminates almost every rule we have for passwords.

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th October 2019, 06:21 PM   #1376
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Wow, that recommendation eliminates almost every rule we have for passwords.

Yup.

Do you see any serious flaws in the recommendations?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:26 PM   #1377
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yup.

Do you see any serious flaws in the recommendations?
Nope, none. These recommendations should be adopted everywhere, especially here where I work.

Actually I think biometric ID would be better than any kind of password, but if you've got to have passwords, do it right.

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th October 2019, 08:03 PM   #1378
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't know about you, but I really love being talked over while I'm trying to explain something.

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th October 2019, 12:26 AM   #1379
Wudang
BOFH

I don't know about you, but I really love being talked over while I'm trying to explain something.
I hung up on one crisis call. It wasn't my then current line of work but an area I'm very strong in so senior managers asked me to join the call. Every time I started explaining how to fix it someone would talk over me "This is a big issue for us...". I recall saying "Oh for god's sake" and hanging up. A manager recalls me saying something stronger. I dialled back in after a minute and said something about the mute function on my new phone apparently not working and this time was allowed to tell them how to solve the urgent problem that was somehow less urgent than each person's need to announce their presence.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:22 AM   #1380
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Nope, none. These recommendations should be adopted everywhere, especially here where I work.

Actually I think biometric ID would be better than any kind of password, but if you've got to have passwords, do it right.
No! This is a lie that smart phone and laptop makers have been pushing on the public for years now.

Biometrics should be used only for authentication, that is, showing you are who you claim you are. It's the "user name" part of a user name/password pair. They should not be used for authorization, that is, granting you access to systems.

Why? You have only one fingerprint or face. If people who aren't you figure out how to bypass the biometrics, they have complete access to the system and you can't lock them out. ("Sorry, George, the Cardassians have figured out how to bypass the retina scan and can now access Starfleet's weapons systems. We'll either have to revoke your access completely or gouge your eyes out.")

A better approach is to use biometrics for authentication and a secure token for authorization. That way if the authentication part is compromised, the authorization token can be revoked and re-issued.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 9th October 2019 at 09:24 AM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:44 AM   #1381
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm convinced that 90% of complaining about "OMG now I have to repeat my problem to you! I just explained it to the other guy!" comes from people who just vomit out their issue in one long unbroken stream of consciousness data dump to everyone.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:45 AM   #1382
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Big Mainframe Company put a bugged OS upgrade on to our dev machine last week , but didn't apply the patch that seems to have been available since July. Hmmm
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:06 PM   #1383
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Could be worse.

Our company is making a big push to improve security. Part of that is better controls for admin/privileged functions. As part of that, we're implementing a system so that we don't have direct access to the privileged accounts;we'll check them out and in as we need to use them.

Well, one problem they ran into is that our workstations require smartcard logins, and these new admin acocunts don't have cards associated with them. This means when we try to "Run As" an admin function, it can't log in the admin user. Not a big deal; we can do like everyone else in the world and set up specific jump servers for this, that are used for admin and have other controls.

Instead, our security team has decided that a better option is to simply turn off the smartcard requirement for all admin workstations.

Yes, we're reducing security across the most privileged systems in our enterprise; many of which are laptops (not even restricted to the company property).

This is typical for our new security team.

Anyone know a place that's looking for an expert Windows admin with some experience in programming, -IX systems, Mac OS, and networking?
Old 9th October 2019, 04:41 PM   #1384
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
No! This is a lie that smart phone and laptop makers have been pushing on the public for years now.

Biometrics should be used only for authentication, that is, showing you are who you claim you are. It's the "user name" part of a user name/password pair. They should not be used for authorization, that is, granting you access to systems.

Why? You have only one fingerprint or face. If people who aren't you figure out how to bypass the biometrics, they have complete access to the system and you can't lock them out. ("Sorry, George, the Cardassians have figured out how to bypass the retina scan and can now access Starfleet's weapons systems. We'll either have to revoke your access completely or gouge your eyes out.")

A better approach is to use biometrics for authentication and a secure token for authorization. That way if the authentication part is compromised, the authorization token can be revoked and re-issued.
Yes, you're absolutely right, and I should have been more careful when I said that. Biometric methods should be one factor in a multi-factor authentication system.

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th October 2019, 10:18 PM   #1385
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post

NSFW
I have it on good authority that all human anuses are unique, i.e. they have different patterns of fissures, etc. So I am dreading the day when some officious bean-counter is going to insist on using this as a unique personal identifier. Can you imagine designing the interface??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 05:20 AM   #1386
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
NSFW
I think they'd have to call it something other than an interface.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:42 AM   #1387
Wudang
BOFH

You read Bruce Bethke's "Headcrash" with the Proctoprod?
Old 10th October 2019, 07:49 AM   #1388
catsmate
No longer the 1

Well today I learned that because of the latest reorg I get another new boss.

My fourth in as many years.

It's annoying because 1) I hate training new bosses and 2) I really really like this one I have right now.

Bleah.
There's always the BOFH way; shovel, roll of carpet and sack of lime.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 07:32 AM   #1389
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

NSFW
I have it on good authority that all human anuses are unique, i.e. they have different patterns of fissures, etc. So I am dreading the day when some officious bean-counter is going to insist on using this as a unique personal identifier. Can you imagine designing the interface??

So the Grey Aliens are just authenticating?

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 08:28 AM   #1390
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
LOL! Been a busy week and I needed a laugh, thanks.
Old 11th October 2019, 08:49 AM   #1391
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

DuckDuckGo does not tailor search results at all. That's the whole point.
And their usefulness as a search engine suffers for it.

If they're not at least tailoring search results based on Browser and OS type reported in HTTP request headers, then they're missing out.
Old 11th October 2019, 10:08 AM   #1392
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Old 11th October 2019, 10:37 AM   #1393
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Interfacing.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2019, 05:39 PM   #1394
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And their usefulness as a search engine suffers for it.
Which is what I was saying. Google knows who you are and what you want, so it gives better results.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th October 2019, 03:59 AM   #1395
MetalPig
Illuminator

NSFW

Support: "Is it plugged in?"
Old 14th October 2019, 04:46 AM   #1396
Lothian
should be banned

I don't know about you, but I really love being
I love being too. It is great.

talked over while I'm trying to explain something.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 07:17 AM   #1397
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Which is what I was saying. Google knows who you are and what you want, so it gives better results.
Knowing what browser and OS are being reported in the request header isn't the same as knowing who you are and what you want. If people are avoiding Google searches because they're afraid of that, then they're stupid. If DDG is intentionally ignoring that, then they're exploiting stupid people.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #1398
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Knowing what browser and OS are being reported in the request header isn't the same as knowing who you are and what you want. If people are avoiding Google searches because they're afraid of that, then they're stupid. If DDG is intentionally ignoring that, then they're exploiting stupid people.
It has the unintended side effect of creating search bubbles, where Google gives you results that it thinks you want as opposed to what you need. It's probably good for technical topics, but for controversial ones it only serves to amplify the echo chamber. For things like medical information it can be a killer, if Google decides you're into alternative medicine and fails to show you results from more reputable sites.

In addition, I don't know what Google knows about me. What I do know is they've made it their mission to get as much data as possible about my browsing habits, where I go on the web, what sites I visit, and how long I stay there.

East Germany used to have a group that did that, too. I think you know their name: the Stasi.

Basically, Google is sitting on a huge mine of personally identifying information from millions of people, most of it collected without their knowledge or consent. Anyone is only one National Security Letter away from that information being abused.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 09:42 AM   #1399
Faydra
sinning sybarite

I have such mixed emotions!

Quote:
No DST in Brazil in 2019
2019-04-11
The government of Brazil has announced that there will be no DST in Brazil in 2019.

Parts of Brazil were scheduled to observe DST (summer time) from 3 November, 2019 to 16 February 2020. This now seems to be canceled, although no decree has been made yet.
On the one hand, YAY Brazil!!! Wish we'd do that.

On the other hand, oh crap - timezone changes in my future.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 09:50 AM   #1400
Wudang
BOFH

I have such mixed emotions!

On the one hand, YAY Brazil!!! Wish we'd do that.

On the other hand, oh crap - timezone changes in my future.
How many time have I posted this I wonder?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet