ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 9th October 2019, 06:06 AM   #2641
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Multiple people from "The Apprentice", wanting to stay anonymous, said that Trump sniffed Adderall constantly.
Originally Posted by dann View Post
And they say so openly!
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 06:11 AM   #2642
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My information was obviously outdated
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 06:52 AM   #2643
dann
Philosopher

Well, you were probably right about the vast majority of them:

Quote:
@LoriMichaelFl
Svarer @CaslerNoel @realDonaldTrump
I wish other old apprentice crew members would come clean to corroborate all this. Would make a huge story if so....

Quote:
@CaslerNoel 9. sep.
I tried for years to get them to, including past directors and A.D.’s they are not willing to break their NDA’s & Mark Burnett threatened to sue anyone who does speak out. Lot’s of people in NYC used cocaine with Trump in over decades. Dr. Bornstein supplied his Adderall fyi.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 06:56 AM   #2644
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah yes the "NDAs are literal spells of binding and make it impossible to speak out" argument.

Listen I'm loathe to say anything that defends Trump even just purely argumentatively, but if a bunch of people saw the current President of the United States snorting ground up moon rocks or whatever and some of them aren't talking about, it's not because of an NDA.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 07:27 AM   #2645
dann
Philosopher

Being a comedian is probably one of the jobs where it doesn't threaten your career to be frank about this.

By the way, does anybody know if it's possible to copyright an acronym?
I'm considering replacing IIRC with IMG&UW.
I didn't get any hits when I googled it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:43 AM   #2646
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The Turks obviously recognised it as an empty threat, given they started bombing straight away. Trump's probably forgotten already.

Or, more likely, he has the amount of money he's earned in Turkey embroidered on his pillow.

There is something quaint about a Head of State with Syphilis.
Trump keeps reminding me of Idi Amin, and that's another check point.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:52 AM   #2647
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The Turks obviously recognised it as an empty threat, given they started bombing straight away. Trump's probably forgotten already.

Or, more likely, he has the amount of money he's earned in Turkey embroidered on his pillow.

Trump keeps reminding me of Idi Amin, and that's another check point.
That is actually a good comparison. Wish I'd thought of it.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:00 PM   #2648
Belz...
Fiend God

I wouldn't go that far.
It's my opinion that you already have.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:02 PM   #2649
Belz...
Fiend God

Joe just want to talk trash and avoid discussion, but somehow I'm the troll.
I don't know if you're a troll but you sure are making things up about Joe's intentions.

Quote:
This is what "skeptics" actually believe. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.
What in the everlasting blue hell are you babbling about?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:05 PM   #2650
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Right. Bush: America's reputation is ruined! Obama: Nobel Peace Prize just for not being Bush! Trump: America's reputation is ruined!

And then the example of Trump ruining America's reputation is that he didn't continue a deal negotiated by his predecessor but not ratified by Congress. Even though America's reputation doesn't actually depend on that. Obviously.

Seriously? You thinkTrump has ruined this country's reputation over nothing more than treaty withdrawals?

Trump is a laughingstock and/or disliked and/or outright hated around the world by everyone except the few like-minded authoritarians he's kissed up to. And even some of them, like Putin, probably laugh at him on a regular basis.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:11 PM   #2651
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This really got only a passing glance from most of the main-stream media preoccupied with many other insane things. Besides all the social media satirical sites, I'm glad to see someone noticed how serious (in a really bad way) Trump's threat was.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th October 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:34 PM   #2652
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Just so we're clear here. I would tend to believe those anecdotes -- if you have multiple people who said they actually saw him snorting something, then he's snorting something serious -- like Adderall. Full stop.
I remember being surprised that Howard Hughes was addicted to codeine when he could have morphine or Dilaudid. For whatever reason he got strung out on codeine. Addiction isn’t really linear, IMO. If Sudafed gives Trump the feeling he wants, then he could easily be addicted to that. And I don’t mean there would have to be any dramatic withdrawal symptoms if he skipped a few doses. Just that the subjective feeling of being “fixed” is similar across many types of addiction.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:27 PM   #2653
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, I've already explained how I stop short of that, so I guess that's that.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:30 PM   #2654
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if you're a troll but you sure are making things up about Joe's intentions.
I was going to give you credit for not making stuff up about my intentions, the way Joe did, but then I remembered:
Anyway, moving on.
Quote:
What in the everlasting blue hell are you babbling about?
Don't worry about it.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:41 AM   #2655
dann
Philosopher

This interesting article suggests that Trump has ADHD and that Adderall might consequently be good for him:

Quote:
It is not surprising that people have a hard time wrapping their head around medications that produce hyperactivity, rapid and disjointed speech and impulsive behavior in some people and alleviate it in others. Yet Mr. Trump, his immediate circle, and the whole country will benefit from effective treatment for his ADHD. Rather than riffing on his sniffing, maybe we should be supporting his snorting.
Trump Nose Best - Adderall Use is Nothing to Sniff At (Medium, Jan. 22, 2019)
Old 10th October 2019, 02:57 AM   #2656
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If Trump had ADHD, would the White House Physician not be required to mention something like that, or at least this kind of medication?
It would also be very important to know whether his mental test were done with or without drugs: the people around him need to know when they can expect a functioning Commander in Chief and when not.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 10th October 2019 at 02:59 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 07:35 AM   #2657
Bob001
Philosopher

George Conway linked to this catalog of Trump's universal brilliance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GqJna9hpTE

And from Conway's Atlantic article:
Quote:
More than a diagnosis, what truly matters, as Lincoln’s case shows, is the president’s behavioral characteristics and personality traits. And understanding how people behave and think is not the sole province of professionals; we all do it every day, with family members, co-workers, and others. Nevertheless, how the mental-health community goes about categorizing those characteristics and traits can provide helpful guidance to laypeople by structuring our thinking about them.

And that’s where the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders comes into play. The DSM, now in its fifth edition, “contains descriptions, symptoms, and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders,” and serves as the country’s “authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders.” What’s useful for nonprofessionals is that, for the most part, it’s written in plain English, and its criteria consist largely of observable behaviors—words and actions.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...office/599128/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 08:16 AM   #2658
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This interesting article suggests that Trump has ADHD and that Adderall might consequently be good for him:
The most interesting thing about this article is that apparently Medium has diagnosed the President with ADHD.
Old 10th October 2019, 08:43 AM   #2659
xjx388
Philosopher

The most interesting thing about this article is that apparently Medium has diagnosed the President with ADHD.

Eh..what’s another passenger on the bandwagon? Apparently, this is the new form political debate will be taking -let’s all play doctor with politicians!
Old 10th October 2019, 10:37 AM   #2660
Belz...
Fiend God

I was going to give you credit for not making stuff up about my intentions, the way Joe did, but then I remembered:

Anyway, moving on.
No, no. Wait a second. I wasn't talking about your intentions there, but your actual actions. If they don't match each other then it's not my problem.

Old 10th October 2019, 11:36 AM   #2661
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump had ADHD, would the White House Physician not be required to mention something like that, or at least this kind of medication?
Good question. I'm having trouble finding convenient sources that give any details about who the White House Physician answers to, who has oversight over that office, and what its reporting requirements are.

The best I've got is a vague recollection of a West Wing episode where the president's doctor didn't disclose a condition they should have disclosed.

"Should have" - I don't know how much of that was a dramatic fiction, how much of it was an accurate representation; etc. Also don't remember if it was a specific reporting scenario, like "a presidential candidate must report his health status to the public, so that they can make an informed decision about how to cast their vote". Versus some sort of ongoing reporting requirement like "every year the president's doctor must report to Congress on the State of the President".

If that episode was about the reporting requirements for presidential candidates, this doctor suggests that's not really a thing:

https://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/per...%29%20prez.pdf

Anyway, yeah. It's a good question. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:37 AM   #2662
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No, no. Wait a second. I wasn't talking about your intentions there, but your actual actions. If they don't match each other then it's not my problem.
Okay.
Old 10th October 2019, 03:55 PM   #2663
Bob001
Philosopher

Good question. I'm having trouble finding convenient sources that give any details about who the White House Physician answers to, who has oversight over that office, and what its reporting requirements are.
Plenty of information available. The White House physician is always a military doctor. You might remember that Trump nominated his ridiculously fawning doc at the time, Adm. Ronny Jackson, to be head of the VA, until his record and performance were examined.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/16/polit...ump/index.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...393_story.html
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...hearing-546408
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Medical_Unit

The White House releases the information that it wants to release. There is no law requiring it to report much to Congress or the public.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 04:20 PM   #2664
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Plenty of information available. The White House physician is always a military doctor. You might remember that Trump nominated his ridiculously fawning doc at the time, Adm. Ronny Jackson, to be head of the VA, until his record and performance were examined.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/16/polit...ump/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...393_story.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...hearing-546408

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Medical_Unit

The White House releases the information that it wants to release. There is no law requiring it to report much to Congress or the public.
Thanks. I'd already found that info. It didn't answer the questions I was asking, though.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:52 AM   #2665
Stacyhs
Philosopher

As someone who lives with two people with ADHD, I'd like to personally thank whoever discovered methylphenidate as a treatment.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM   #2666
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

---

The weird thing is, even when I agree with you about Trump being a crazy person and a bad president, that's somehow still not enough for you.

What else are you wanting, here? What do you really want from me?

Well, considering that you agree Trump is a crazy person and a bad president, it seems natural that we would also like you to stop supporting and defending him.

Evidently that would be asking too much of you, however.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM   #2667
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

look, if you stop supporting this crazy person and bad President, you'd have to stop supporting every crazy person and bad President.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM   #2668
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

look, if you stop supporting this crazy person and bad President, you'd have to stop supporting every crazy person and bad President.
The Zaphod Beeblebrox theory of the presidency.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #2669
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Where he's not crazy, he's bad, and where he's not bad, he's crazy, and generally, he's both
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; Yesterday at 09:43 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #2670
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Where he's not crazy, he's bad, and where he's not bad, he's crazy, and generally, he's both
This also doesn't answer the questions I was asking. Indeed, it seems to be entirely unrelated to those questions. Did you quote the wrong post?
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #2671
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Well, considering that you agree Trump is a crazy person and a bad president, it seems natural that we would also like you to stop supporting and defending him.

This is progress. Be patient with baby steps.

Step 2: No, other POTUSes weren't this bat **** crazy.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #2672
3point14
Pi

I think this is my favourite thread.

The more Trump demonstrates that he is genuinely bat-**** mental with a tenuous grasp on just about everything, the more entertaining it gets.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #2673
xjx388
Philosopher

That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. It seems like unless I say, "The Yale group is right and practicing good medicine," whatever I do say is interpreted as support for Trump. Even when I am explicitly not supporting Trump. Even when Trump himself is not really even what I'm talking about.

Weird how that works.

This thread is about what the Yale group is saying about Trump and whether or not what they are doing comports with ethics and medical standards.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #2674
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This also doesn't answer the questions I was asking. Indeed, it seems to be entirely unrelated to those questions. Did you quote the wrong post?
Yes... Altered now..
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #2675
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. It seems like unless I say, "The Yale group is right and practicing good medicine," whatever I do say is interpreted as support for Trump. Even when I am explicitly not supporting Trump. Even when Trump himself is not really even what I'm talking about.

Weird how that works.

This thread is about what the Yale group is saying about Trump and whether or not what they are doing comports with ethics and medical standards.
I was responding to a specific post by theprestige. Why you would expect it to be relevant to anything else remains a mystery to the rest of us.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #2676
xjx388
Philosopher

I was responding to a specific post by theprestige. Why you would expect it to be relevant to anything else remains a mystery to the rest of us.
theprestige asked what people here wanted from him, you gave a response that is totally irrelevant to the thread. I shared my feelings on the subject. It’s a public thread; next time PM him and you won’t hear a peep from me.
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #2677
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

theprestige asked what people here wanted from him, you gave a response that is totally irrelevant to the thread. I shared my feelings on the subject. It’s a public thread; next time PM him and you won’t hear a peep from me.
Who cares if it was totally irrelevant to the thread??? It was relevant to the question I was answering. Get over it already.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #2678
xjx388
Philosopher

Who cares if it was totally irrelevant to the thread??? It was relevant to the question I was answering.
theprestige asks, in the context of the thread, what people want from him. You answer, “stop supporting Trump.” It’s clear to me that theprestige does not support Trump, again in the context of this thread, as he has shared his negative views of Trump’s behavior. What he has done, as have I, is question the value of what the Yale group is doing. Thus my response to you in this public thread.

Your response completely misses the mark when answering his question.
Quote:
Get over it already.
LOL!!1!
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #2679
wasapi
Philosopher

Who cares if it was totally irrelevant to the thread??? It was relevant to the question I was answering. Get over it already.
Or perhaps you just don't like the Prestige, and were trying to make him look bad for commenting in a reasonable response?
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #2680
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

theprestige asks, in the context of the thread, what people want from him. You answer, “stop supporting Trump.” It’s clear to me that theprestige does not support Trump, again in the context of this thread, as he has shared his negative views of Trump’s behavior. What he has done, as have I, is question the value of what the Yale group is doing. Thus my response to you in this public thread.
LOL! It's clear to you? Really, now?

I disagree.

I'm a Trump supporter. I'm having a civil debate. Where's the confusion?
QED

Quote:
Your response completely misses the mark when answering his question.
LOL!!1!
Considering the fact that he was asking "What do you really want from me?", I happen to think my answer was precisely on target.

As I said, I recommend you now get over it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics