ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 7th October 2019, 09:56 PM   #1801
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The one I posted does.
The one you posted I didn't read
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 10:03 PM   #1802
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The one you posted I didn't read
You might want to. It does, after all, explain exactly how and why climate change increases the risk of malaria.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 10:11 PM   #1803
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You might want to. It does, after all, explain exactly how and why climate change increases the risk of malaria.
Cool
That is kind of what my guess was tbf.

The bit about minimum temperature to mature is quite interesting though.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 10:15 PM   #1804
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Cool
That is kind of what my guess was tbf.

The bit about minimum temperature to mature is quite interesting though.
Yes it is. And your article explains how similar changes in the environment can increase the risk of other mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and zika.

Quote:
“Q fever is something that is carried by a lot of wild and domesticated animals,” said Coleman. “As climate change degrades their habitat through fires and drought, these animals go looking for green grass and fresh water [and] they find themselves on golf courses and on retirees’ two-acre blocks.”

Coleman said the problem comes when the infected animals defecate on the lawns and the poo is then run over by humans with lawnmowers. “It becomes airborne, it becomes this highly, highly transmissible toxin, that’s why it’s being described, even by the Lancet medical journal, as a bioweapon in our own backyard.”
Which is also interesting.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 10:18 PM   #1805
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Semi interesting fact you probably already know.

Only female mosquitoes bite, so you can't get Malaria from males.

Chicks eh?

They need the blood for making eggs I think.

Old 7th October 2019, 10:33 PM   #1806
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No, a young mosquito is called a larva. Chicks are baby hens.

- Randall Munroe
Old 7th October 2019, 10:44 PM   #1807
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, a young mosquito is called a larva. Chicks are baby hens.
Technically a chick is any baby bird.

Old 7th October 2019, 10:48 PM   #1808
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Technically a chick is any baby bird.
Technically you are correct. And as we all know, that is the best kind of correct.

- Randall Munroe
Old 7th October 2019, 10:56 PM   #1809
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Technically you are correct. And as we all know, that is the best kind of correct.
I'm going the logic fallacy route.

Birds have wings and can fly
Mosquitoes have wings and can fly
Therefore mosquitoes must be birds

Old 8th October 2019, 05:04 AM   #1810
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The chart I found -- based on numbers from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration -- shows the temperature rise accelerating in the past decade. If this trend continues in the next decade, by 2030 the world could be in a real climate crisis. I now understand the recent emphasis on 2030. I understand why many scientists believe we are already well beyond the point where the worst effects can be avoided. Yet a concerted effort to try and mitigate this is still stalled because of a lack of overriding public support. Some of the posters here have demonstrated this reality quite well. Some people continue to act like this is all a big joke. But even with them I get the sense they're no longer quite as sure of themselves as they were even a few years ago. But it is getting very late.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hottest years on record.jpg (29.0 KB, 13 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:32 AM   #1811
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The chart I found -- based on numbers from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration -- shows the temperature rise accelerating in the past decade.

Your conclusion or theirs? There are oscillations in the climate system that run on cycles up to 20 years, so you need 20-30 years to get a good handle on the current trend, finding a change in trend would take twice that.

Tamino is a good resource for this, he does a lot of statistical analysis on climate trends and when/if you can determine a change in the trend. Here's an example from August where he finds the current trend stable going back to the mid 70's

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2019/08...ming-how-fast/

Last edited by lomiller; 8th October 2019 at 07:29 AM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:10 AM   #1812
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Your conclusion or theirs? There are oscillations in the climate system that run on cycles up to 20 years, so you need 20-30 years to get a good handle on the current trend, finding a change in trend would take twice that.

Tamino is a good resource for this, he does a lot of statistical analysis on climate trends and when/if you can determine a change in the trend. Here's an example from August where he finds the current trend stable going back to the mid 70's
I think you forgot a link.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:29 AM   #1813
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I think you forgot a link.
It's there now
Old 8th October 2019, 08:14 AM   #1814
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

The best source of climate related information is usually the IPCC assessment reports. The current one, IPCC AR5 was released in 2014, so it's not perfectly up to date, but here is what it has to say on climate related change in infectious diseases:

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...ap11_FINAL.pdf
Quote:

2008-2012. Among the vector-borne diseases shown here, only dengue fever was associated with climate variables at both the global and local levels (high confidence), while malaria and hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome showed a positive association at the local level (high confidence).
While higher temperatures do make these more common, many locations are also getting dryer, which reduces rates so location matters a lot and only Dengue could be shown to increase globally due to climate change. There could be new science in the last 5 years though.

Anyway, the point being is that attributing increased deaths to diseases other than Dengue is a little mixed, so I avoided referring to it when discussing Greta's comments about climate related deaths happening now. The comment is still accurate it's just more complicated when discussing disease than when looking at deaths in specific climate related events.

Last edited by lomiller; 8th October 2019 at 08:23 AM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:51 AM   #1815
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2019/08...ming-how-fast/

Randall Munroe did a good graph of global temperature change on an extended timeline.

Very impressive.

Or perhaps sobering.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:44 PM   #1816
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Randall Munroe did a good graph of global temperature change on an extended timeline.

Very impressive.

Or perhaps sobering.
Being pedantic, but pretty sure they have the Great Pyramid and Stonehenge the wrong way round.

Or they should be at least a shed load closer to each other

Old 8th October 2019, 01:19 PM   #1817
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Being pedantic, but pretty sure they have the Great Pyramid and Stonehenge the wrong way round.

Or they should be at least a shed load closer to each other
He has the Great Pyramid being constructed around 2550 BC, and Stonehenge being completed around 2200 BC. That's about 350 years apart. Wikipedia puts the construction of the Great Pyramid somewhere around 2580-2560 BC.

Wikipedia says the first iteration of Stonehenge was constructed around 3100 BC, but that additional construction and modification continued at the site until about 1600 BC. Munroe seems to be pegging the "completion" to the work done between 2400 BC and 2280 BC ("Stonehenge 3 III"). There was more work done after that, though, up until about 1600 BC, so I'm not sure what his actual criteria were, for calling completion around 2200 BC.

Anyway, he seems to have placed the Great Pyramid and the "completion" of Stonehenge in more or less their appropriate positions on the number line.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th October 2019 at 01:21 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:05 PM   #1818
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Stonehenge was originally intended to be the revolving base for the Great Pyramid. When it still wasn't working properly after a few centuries, the Egyptians wrote it off and built the pyramid on the ground instead.

Greta Thunberg does not know this.

Last edited by Myriad; 8th October 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:12 PM   #1819
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm trying to remember where I came across the idea of the Great Pyramid as a unit of measurement.

Something about how it's the largest structure you can put on the ground without the ground giving way, in a single lifetime. Like, one Pyramid is probably the most you can accomplish with dudes stacking rocks, in a single lifetime. Give or take, obviously. But probably it's going to be similar no matter where you build, and how big your workforce.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #1820
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm trying to remember where I came across the idea of the Great Pyramid as a unit of measurement.

Something about how it's the largest structure you can put on the ground without the ground giving way, in a single lifetime. Like, one Pyramid is probably the most you can accomplish with dudes stacking rocks, in a single lifetime. Give or take, obviously. But probably it's going to be similar no matter where you build, and how big your workforce.
I understand the great pyramid is founded on bedrock. Not much chance of that giving way. Bedrock supports much larger structures, such as the Himalayas.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #1821
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I should have written that in the past decade the average global temperatures rose at a rate greater than in the previous decade [see chart below]. My point remains the same, if temperatures in the next decade -- 2020-2029 -- continue to rise at the same rate as in the current decade, by 2030 we'll be having serious problems. I'm not pretending to be a scientist -- I'm about as far away from being a scientist as it's possible to get -- but I have read numerous times recently the comment by people who are scientists that by 2030 the effects of global warming will be impossible for all but the most determined to ignore. Very sad.

This is from NOAA:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOAA temp rise.jpg (48.3 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:19 PM   #1822
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Stonehenge was originally intended to be the revolving base for the Great Pyramid. When it still wasn't working properly after a few centuries, the Egyptians wrote it off and built the pyramid on the ground instead.

Greta Thunberg does not know this.

That isn't an uncommon knowledge deficit.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:54 PM   #1823
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I understand the great pyramid is founded on bedrock. Not much chance of that giving way. Bedrock supports much larger structures, such as the Himalayas.

Now I need to know:

Is it Him ah lay ahs or Him mahl yahs ?
Old 8th October 2019, 05:12 PM   #1824
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Now I need to know:

I say "him-a-LAY-a"

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th October 2019, 05:13 PM   #1825
Steve
Philosopher

Now I need to know:

Don’t ask me. I just wrote it, I’m not going to say it.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:21 PM   #1826
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I say "him-a-LAY-a"
Right thats it!

I am sick to death of sexism and LGBT hatred.

I demand it to be pronounced gender neutral and will campaign till my death to have the name changed officially

From this day forth I proclaim the pronunciation "Them-a-LAY-a"

Old 9th October 2019, 01:18 AM   #1827
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
There's something perversely comical about adults literally resorting to schoolyard style bullying against a teenage youth.
It is no longer comical.
Greta Thunberg: Hanging effigy of teenage climate activist strung up in Rome.
An effigy of teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg hanging by a noose has been strung up under a bridge in Rome.

The puppet features long braided hair and a sign written in English reading: “Greta is your god.”
Thungberg is not even in Europe, which makes this ******** even more cowardly, but looks to be in response to the start of climate protests in Italy on Monday.

I can't find much on the dickless cowards that claim this to be their work - Gli Svegli (The Awake in English).
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:44 AM   #1828
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It is no longer comical.
Greta Thunberg: Hanging effigy of teenage climate activist strung up in Rome.
An effigy of teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg hanging by a noose has been strung up under a bridge in Rome.

The puppet features long braided hair and a sign written in English reading: “Greta is your god.”
Thungberg is not even in Europe, which makes this ******** even more cowardly, but looks to be in response to the start of climate protests in Italy on Monday.

I can't find much on the dickless cowards that claim this to be their work - Gli Svegli (The Awake in English).
While it is a pretty disgusting thing, it is hardly new.

Old 9th October 2019, 02:52 AM   #1829
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Now I need to know:

Yeah off topic, but I’ve been to the Himalayas, and confirm that both pronunciations are used by Nepalese in about equal measures. Which doesn’t mean much at all as English is their second language. But most of the Himalayas lie within Nepal, so they call the shots. Both are correct.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:55 AM   #1830
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Climate activists speak at Standing Rock Reservation

Quote:
A medicine man blessed the girls — Tokata Iron Eyes and Greta Thunberg — in what’s known as a smudging ceremony. Then, a circle of men played the drum as everyone in the gym slowly turned to face the four sacred directions.

To see two teenagers take the stage in the Standing Rock High School gym, “it’s inspirational,” said 13-year-old Chante Baker, who sat in the bleachers with her classmates.

The event is “showing how our country is relying on the youth,” said 17-year-old Wacantkiya Mani Win Eagle, who supported the pipeline protests in 2016.

“It took two youth to get us all together,” said Cody Two Bears, the head of nonprofit Indigenized Energy which opened a solar farm last month near the site of the Dakota Access Pipeline protests. “It’s a very powerful thing to be part of and witness this today.”

In her message to her peers, Iron Eyes said, “We all need clean water and clean air and a safe place to call home. As Indigenous people, our culture and way of life is inherently tied to the environment.”

Tyrel Iron Eyes, a 23-year-old from Standing Rock, said he’s proud of his cousin Tokata, and of Thunberg for getting people to listen to them.

In a closing ceremony, former Standing Rock Chairman Jay Taken Alive gifted Thunberg with a Lakota name: Maphiyata echiyatan hin win, meaning “woman who came from the heavens.”

“Only somebody like that can wake up the world,” he said. “We stand with you. We appreciate you. We love you as a relative.”
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:57 AM   #1831
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Excellent ! There's another group that's going to quit using oil.

I have a question though. When we're all back to riding around on horses, are the vegans going to be protesting us ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 06:31 AM   #1832
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I should have written that in the past decade the average global temperatures rose at a rate greater than in the previous decade [see chart below]. My point remains the same, if temperatures in the next decade -- 2020-2029 -- continue to rise at the same rate as in the current decade, by 2030 we'll be having serious problems. I'm not pretending to be a scientist -- I'm about as far away from being a scientist as it's possible to get -- but I have read numerous times recently the comment by people who are scientists that by 2030 the effects of global warming will be impossible for all but the most determined to ignore. Very sad.

This is from NOAA:
You can’t calculate the warming trend with just a decade with of data, at least not accurately. The noise and multiyear oscillations make for error bars that are larger than the actual trend unless you are looking at 20-30 years worth of data.

It’s the same reason you can’t say warming “slowed down” between 1998-2010. Neither the supposed slow down nor the recent “acceleration” differ from the underlying trend by a statistically significant amount.
Old 9th October 2019, 06:37 AM   #1833
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, are executions in effigy really that bad? Or is it only when it's an effigy of your ox that's being gored?
Old 9th October 2019, 07:02 AM   #1834
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Right thats it!

I am sick to death of sexism and LGBT hatred.

I demand it to be pronounced gender neutral and will campaign till my death to have the name changed officially

From this day forth I proclaim the pronunciation "Them-a-LAY-a"

Old 9th October 2019, 07:29 AM   #1835
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wait, are executions in effigy really that bad? Or is it only when it's an effigy of your ox that's being gored?
Because burning an effigy of a 16 year old gild is totally the same thing as displaying a balloon that looks like a baby Trump wearing a diaper…
Old 9th October 2019, 10:40 AM   #1836
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Because burning an effigy of a 16 year old gild is totally the same thing as displaying a balloon that looks like a baby Trump wearing a diaper…
And only you made that comparison .......way to knock it down!
Old 9th October 2019, 11:48 AM   #1837
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
And only you made that comparison
If theprestige had a different comparisons in mind, he should have referenced it. Lacking any specific reference, it’s perfectly reasonable to go to the most recent, highest profile use of an effigy
Old 9th October 2019, 11:55 AM   #1838
Belgian thought
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stout View Post

I have a question though. When we're all back to riding around on horses, are the vegans going to be protesting us ?

Only when they have caught up with us but by then they will too knackered to do anything. So, there is no need to worry about this future.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:08 PM   #1839
Stout
Illuminator

If theprestige had a different comparisons in mind, he should have referenced it. Lacking any specific reference, it’s perfectly reasonable to go to the most recent, highest profile use of an effigy
The first thing that came to my mind was this one.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9125221.html
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:28 PM   #1840
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Stout View Post

Broken record.....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events