ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 24th September 2019, 03:01 AM   #81
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Suspension was ruled unlawful. Chopping block sales skyrocket (alledgedly).

McHrozni
And it was a unanimous decision.
Old 24th September 2019, 03:04 AM   #82
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And it was a unanimous decision.
Which is interesting because beforehand the best legal types I follow thought was plausible was 8:3. However all also said all bets were off.
Old 24th September 2019, 03:15 AM   #83
Garrison
Illuminator

I think Johnson really thought he could go full Trump, just take a wrecking ball to all precedent and process and get away with it. Parliamentary and judicial sovereignty in action BoJo!
Old 24th September 2019, 03:17 AM   #84
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
All 11 Supreme Court judges find against Boris. Which git wanted to sideline the ECJ?
I'm amazed it was a unanimous decision.
Old 24th September 2019, 03:55 AM   #85
wobs
Master Poster

Days since Boris's last catastrophe: 0
Old 24th September 2019, 03:59 AM   #86
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
On Channel 4 News Boris claimed that once out of the EU we can ban the sale of shark fin soup.
Shark finning was banned in the EU years ago, but the trade in shark fins cannot be banned due to WTO rules, not because of the EU.
After the kippers, he's obviously moving on to bigger fish....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 03:59 AM   #87
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Days since Boris's last catastrophe: 0
If he stays in bed all day that might climb to 1, then drop down again when he opens his mouth.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:01 AM   #88
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
If he stays in bed all day that might climb to 1, then drop down again when he opens his mouth.
Rather depends on whose bed he's in...
Old 24th September 2019, 04:01 AM   #89
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

When this is all over, Boris is going to find himself remarkably short of friends.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:03 AM   #90
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
That would depend on whose bed he was in.

ETA: Beaten to it by Garrison.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:07 AM   #91
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'm incredibly heartened. The decision is more than I had dared hope for.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:11 AM   #92
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm incredibly heartened. The decision is more than I had dared hope for.
Seconded
Old 24th September 2019, 04:12 AM   #93
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

So, does every one just turn up for work tomorrow?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:12 AM   #94
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Parliament already scheduled a series of PM's questions for tommorow. That sounds rather unpleasant.

It will also reset the counter above.

McHrozni
Old 24th September 2019, 04:14 AM   #95
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
So, does every one just turn up for work tomorrow?
Bercow says yes.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:18 AM   #96
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Parliament already scheduled a series of PM's questions for tommorow. That sounds rather unpleasant.
John Bercow has just been on BBC news. It's too late to give notice for PMQ but he is allowing room for urgent statements and questions for Ministers etc. So effectivly yes.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:20 AM   #97
erlando
Graduate Poster

This SC decision almost eclipses the Trump/Ukraine corruption scandal.

These are "interesting" times...
Old 24th September 2019, 04:23 AM   #98
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

I guess refusing to offer any evidence, including refusing to issue any sworn affidavits is not the best way to win in court. Whodathunkit.
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:32 AM   #99
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
I guess refusing to offer any evidence, including refusing to issue any sworn affidavits is not the best way to win in court. Whodathunkit.
I think BJ has demonstrated he is not too strong on the subject of "caution" in either sense.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:39 AM   #100
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1176448261164584961

Quote:
Several opposition sources say expecting Commons to sit at 1130 tomorrow
Old 24th September 2019, 04:47 AM   #101
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I actually danced a little jig when I heard the news.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:48 AM   #102
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

A great victory for justice, democracy and parliamentarism.

This is evidence that the state of the UK is more robust than the US. The executive branch can't get away with abusing the law.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:00 AM   #103
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1176465235164708865

Quote:
Boris Johnson just arrived at his morning meeting, looking like he was pulled through a hedge backwards while said hedge was being fed to a combine-harvester. To nobody's real surprise, he didn't answer any of the shouted questions from journalists about possible resignation.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:09 AM   #104
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
A great victory for justice, democracy and parliamentarism.

This is evidence that the state of the UK is more robust than the US. The executive branch can't get away with abusing the law.
I wouldn't go that far, Brexit is a three year debacle that exposed a great many things, it's a stretch to say the state of UK is more robust than US based on this one instance where the British state functioned in three long years. The incident shows the executive branch of UK is less powerful than the executive branch of USA.

In truth we knew this before. The two systems form the duality of democracy: Westminster parliamentary system (as practiced in Germany and UK, among others) and Presidential system (as practiced in USA and Turkey, among others).

McHrozni
Old 24th September 2019, 05:15 AM   #105
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Boris made it his job to lie about the EU in his role as a "journalist" - and got fired for it.
Why would he stop lying now when it got him into Downing Street ?
He was fired for making up quotes in The Times, then he was hired by The Telegraph to lie about the EU, the Telegraph had no problem with it.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:20 AM   #106
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Troubling times for single mothers as calls grow for Boris to spend more time with his families.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:23 AM   #107
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Shameless quote theft from Douglas Adams.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:33 AM   #108
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

So that means no Queens Speech and no new session of Parliament for the time being, right?
Old 24th September 2019, 05:35 AM   #109
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
Strange that 'trust me I'm a Tory' wasn't considered evidence enough really
Old 24th September 2019, 05:43 AM   #110
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Shameless quote theft from Douglas Adams.
If you follow the link, rather than just reading the quote, you'll see that he acknowledges the phrase in the next tweet.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:45 AM   #111
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
So that means no Queens Speech and no new session of Parliament for the time being, right?
He could call for new elections.
Probably will.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:46 AM   #112
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Johnson's been saying that the court decision is about people trying to frustrate Brexit, and by saying that they need a Queen's speech anyway, is hinting that he's going to have another go at proroguing parliament.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:47 AM   #113
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If you follow the link, rather than just reading the quote, you'll see that he acknowledges the phrase in the next tweet.
Just wanted to give credit where credit is due - which wasn't with Terry Pratchett in this case.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:50 AM   #114
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He could call for new elections.
Probably will.
Didn't he already and lost the vote? Would a vote of no confidence be a win or lose for him at this point, as I thought he was aiming for one a few weeks ago.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #115
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Johnson's been saying that the court decision is about people trying to frustrate Brexit, and by saying that they need a Queen's speech anyway, is hinting that he's going to have another go at proroguing parliament.
I would think the Queen would be well advised to have a lawyer in the room next time she speaks to BoJo.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #116
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/stat...72848183021569

Quote:
No10 sources say PM will not resign. He will also fly home overnight after UN speech this evening. Johnson will also hold a conference call with the Cabinet today.

No10 also confirm PM will refuse to take any more questions from the media today. A bad look to be running scared of a press conference.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:58 AM   #117
Worm
Master Poster

This also goes against the Government's previous position, that the prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit, and was part of the normal business of Parliament.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:12 AM   #118
Wudang
BOFH

That's what Bercow announced earlier.

Quote:
The Speaker of the Commons, John Bercow, has told reporters Parliament will resume on Wednesday at 11:30 BST.

He said that "due to notification requirements", Prime Minister's Questions would not go ahead - but there would be time for urgent questions and ministerial statements.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...n-on-wednesday
Old 24th September 2019, 06:32 AM   #119
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I would think the Queen would be well advised to have a lawyer in the room next time she speaks to BoJo.

Dave
Or give up her disgusting influence on the governance of the country.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:33 AM   #120
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
This also goes against the Government's previous position, that the prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit, and was part of the normal business of Parliament.
You know what they say about being your own worse enemy....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics