ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 24th September 2019, 11:00 AM   #161
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Or to put it another way, which law, specifically, has Boris been found guilty of breaking?
None yet, he just acted outside of his authority. His whole lying to parliament thing that has caused some issues before will be the actual law he broke. I know brexit is all about destroying parliament and restoring sovereignty to a new Sovereign(Boris) but until then he does have to abide by some laws.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 11:06 AM   #162
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Does anybody know if there were any LEGAL grounds to the Supreme Court decision. .
The Supreme Court decision defines the legal grounds.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:06 AM   #163
Garrison
Illuminator

Or to put it another way, which law, specifically, has Boris been found guilty of breaking?
If you actually care I'm sure you can find the details of the decision online.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:13 AM   #164
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Exactly, if it doesn't fall to the Supreme Court to decide such matters then who would? Dominic Cummings? BoJo must be so unhappy he can't just stack the court with political hacks like his buddy Trump.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:16 AM   #165
Lothian
should be banned

United Kingdom Law.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 11:18 AM   #166
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I see that there is already some talking heads pointing out that the SC decision is about the effect rather than the intent of BoJo (i.e. they didn't say he was dishonest, just that the result of his action was a problem) but that's BS because the SC upheld the Scottish decision which clearly stated that he had been dishonest about his intent.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:21 AM   #167
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Read the decision(s). It is explained.

11 Supreme Court judges found the law had been broken. Your lot lost. Suck it up.
Old 24th September 2019, 12:17 PM   #168
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Johnson has not been found guilty of committing a crime. What the SC decided was that the advice to HM to prorogue was unlawful (i.e. invalid), void and of no effect.

The SC stated that to be lawful, a prorogation must not frustrate Parliament's legislative and supervisory functions unless proper justification is given. No justification, good or otherwise, was given by the PM, therefore the advice to prorogue was unlawful, void and of no effect, meaning that the prorogation itself was void.

Source: see paras 50 and 55-61 at http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2019/41.html

Last edited by ctamblyn; 24th September 2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added source
ctamblyn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 12:29 PM   #169
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sky News reports a Government official says House of Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg will address Parliament tomorrow when MPs return following Supreme Court ruling that proroguing Parliament was unlawful

I’m sure this will be fine and he won’t piss everyone off even more.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 12:39 PM   #170
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sky News reports a Government official says House of Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg will address Parliament tomorrow when MPs return following Supreme Court ruling that proroguing Parliament was unlawful

He should be the first to resign after Boris.

Perhaps this will be what his address is? Yes, he will have found his sense of decency and decided to resign. That's all it can be. Right?
Old 24th September 2019, 12:50 PM   #171
Wudang
BOFH

I see that there is already some talking heads pointing out that the SC decision is about the effect rather than the intent of BoJo (i.e. they didn't say he was dishonest, just that the result of his action was a problem) but that's BS because the SC upheld the Scottish decision which clearly stated that he had been dishonest about his intent.
A number of commentators have said that the SC did the absolute minimum within their legal remit and then handed the issue back to Parliament. They wanted to keep the focus on the key issue being the supremacy of Parliament. IANAL.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:03 PM   #172
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he will say
"The Court had made it's decision. Let them enforce it".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 01:04 PM   #173
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
United Kingdom Law.
What, the law is not what Dear Leader says it is?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 01:06 PM   #174
Garrison
Illuminator

Yeah, of course. More likely he will be announcing the fate of the chosen scapegoat, probably the Attorney General based on earlier statements.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:13 PM   #175
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

That doesn't answer the question. Is there some act that specifies what reasons are valid? Is there an act that permits the SC to overrule the Queen?
The SC didn't overrule the queen, technically. They found that the advice given to HM to prorogue was void, and so that which followed from the advice was nullified:

Quote:
[The] advice was unlawful. It was outside the powers of the Prime Minister to give it. This means that it was null and of no effect: see, if authority were needed, R (UNISON) v Lord Chancellor [2017] UKSC 51, para 119. It led to the Order in Council which, being founded on unlawful advice, was likewise unlawful, null and of no effect and should be quashed. This led to the actual prorogation, which was as if the Commissioners had walked into Parliament with a blank piece of paper. It too was unlawful, null and of no effect.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:37 PM   #176
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I guess Boris thought he was Oliver Cromwell dismissing the Long Parliament; did not work out that way.

If I were a Labor member, I would throw Cromwell's famous statement in the dismissal right in BoJo's face:

"You have been sitting here too long for any good you have been doing.In the name of God, go".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:48 PM   #177
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So Parliament will meet tomorrow,no matter what?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:50 PM   #178
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So Parliament will meet tomorrow,no matter what?
Tomorrow's agenda is already published, it will meet tomorrow.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:50 PM   #179
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

He should be the first to resign after Boris.
I'm not fussed what order they do it in. Hell, I'd help them pack.
Old 24th September 2019, 01:56 PM   #180
catsmate
No longer the 1

Reading the reasons for the Supreme Court ruling, it seems that they are all political.
Eh....no. Not in the Real World anyway.

Does anybody know if there were any LEGAL grounds to the Supreme Court decision.
Yes. They've enumerated and detailed in the judgement.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 02:06 PM   #181
catsmate
No longer the 1

Read the decision(s). It is explained.

11 Supreme Court judges found the law had been broken. Your lot lost. Suck it up.
Brexiteers never admit defeat. Obviously the facts are wrong.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 02:08 PM   #182
catsmate
No longer the 1

Sigh. At the risk of heading into political nostalgia it is less than two centuries since Prime Ministers fought duels...
Old 24th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #183
catsmate
No longer the 1

Maybe he will say
"The Court had made it's decision. Let them enforce it".
Contempt of Court. Bench warrant. Arrest. Imprisonment.
Pretty simple.
Old 24th September 2019, 02:17 PM   #184
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There was a diabetic guy on the news the other day who was asked whether he still supported Brexit, even though it meant that he might die due to lack of insulin. He said yes, because it was what people had voted for.

“It’s the people’s will! Up yours Delors!”
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 03:06 PM   #185
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
At this point you really have to ask what the hardcore brexiteers actually expect Brexit to achieve? It's not going to bring any economic benefits, its not going to stop immigration and their attitude to parliament and the courts makes it clear that restoring UK sovereignty was another lie so what the hell is it for?
It's all just a useful tool to get their own agenda of a libertarian Paradise implemented in the UK.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 04:23 PM   #186
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Brexiteers never admit defeat. Obviously the facts are wrong.

Gee, exactly like Trump supporters. What a coincidence.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:26 PM   #187
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Sigh. At the risk of heading into political nostalgia it is less than two centuries since Prime Ministers fought duels...
Still amazed that Bojo picked Rees Moss to be the House Majority leader. Apparenly a lot of Tories cannot stand him. Brilliant choice ,Boris.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:31 PM   #188
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ctamblyn View Post
Johnson has not been found guilty of committing a crime. What the SC decided was that the advice to HM to prorogue was unlawful (i.e. invalid), void and of no effect.

The SC stated that to be lawful, a prorogation must not frustrate Parliament's legislative and supervisory functions unless proper justification is given. No justification, good or otherwise, was given by the PM, therefore the advice to prorogue was unlawful, void and of no effect, meaning that the prorogation itself was void.

Source: see paras 50 and 55-61 at http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2019/41.html
Those paragraphs lack supporting evidence for the claims.

What is their evidence for their claim?

It just seems so different. Just yesterday while reading Twitter someone referenced Pickering v. Board of education. There isn't a major case on it or anything. But finding specific references on UK issues is like pulling teeth.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 24th September 2019 at 05:37 PM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 05:38 PM   #189
Arcade22
Philosopher

Its important to point out that this is the whole point of having a final court of appeal: it is the ultimate authority on the law.

If BJ is upset about the decision he is free to try and enact legislation preventing any legal challenges from succeeding. That's how it works in a country under the rule of law. The fact that ministers in BJ's government weren't willing to say that they would unconditionally respect the courts decision is a worrying indication of their lack of respect for the rule of law.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:41 PM   #190
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Its important to point out that this is the whole point of having a final court of appeal: it is the ultimate authority on the law..
If you need a final decision, you can flip a coin. If you accept the premise that the ultimate authority gets it right, then their opinion may be no more correct than the experts that disagree with them. The question is how do you actually get the right answer.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 06:33 PM   #191
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Its important to point out that this is the whole point of having a final court of appeal: it is the ultimate authority on the law.

If BJ is upset about the decision he is free to try and enact legislation preventing any legal challenges from succeeding. That's how it works in a country under the rule of law. The fact that ministers in BJ's government weren't willing to say that they would unconditionally respect the courts decision is a worrying indication of their lack of respect for the rule of law.
It's like the American Supreme court;it's the court of last appeal;once it rules the case is over.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:38 PM   #192
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That seems to sum up the responses to my question. There is no written law that limits any discussions between the PM and the Queen and the SC has no explicit authority to adjudicate on these discussions. They have just assumed that power for themselves.

I'm guessing that the Privy Council either doesn't exist any more or it is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
are you a Monarchist?
No, I would prefer the Queen's position to be elected - even if it is mostly ceremonial.

However, it terrifies me when an unelected body like the SC takes on powers for itself that are greater than the Queen's and uses those powers to usurp the parliament's function of creating laws.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:49 PM   #193
a_unique_person

That seems to sum up the responses to my question. There is no written law that limits any discussions between the PM and the Queen and the SC has no explicit authority to adjudicate on these discussions. They have just assumed that power for themselves.

I'm guessing that the Privy Council either doesn't exist any more or it is irrelevant.

No, I would prefer the Queen's position to be elected - even if it is mostly ceremonial.

However, it terrifies me when an unelected body like the SC takes on powers for itself that are greater than the Queen's and uses those powers to usurp the parliament's function of creating laws.
The Queen is not supposed to have any real power. The courts are.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 07:07 PM   #194
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

It's like the American Supreme court;it's the court of last appeal;once it rules the case is over.
There's a growing list of countries that seem poised to run a test to see what happens after that.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 08:07 PM   #195
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The Queen is not supposed to have any real power. The courts are.
Wrong. The Parliament is supposed to. The Queen only acts on advice received but that is not codified anywhere.
Old 24th September 2019, 08:29 PM   #196
a_unique_person

Wrong. The Parliament is supposed to. The Queen only acts on advice received but that is not codified anywhere.
I didn't mention parliaments power.

You said

Quote:

However, it terrifies me when an unelected body like the SC takes on powers for itself that are greater than the Queen's

I also note the Queen is not even appointed based on merit, but purely on inheritance.
Old 24th September 2019, 08:36 PM   #197
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
II also note the Queen is not even appointed based on merit, but purely on inheritance.
You didn't read the post that you selectively quoted.

Last edited by psionl0; 24th September 2019 at 08:38 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 08:56 PM   #198
Mojo
Mostly harmless

England and Wales is a common law jurisdiction. The courts are perfectly entitled to make law as long as they don’t actually contradict Parliament.

The idea of judicial review of administrative actions is well established. And that’s what this was: the court was reviewing the actions of the executive, not Parliament. See, for example, the comments in the section headed “What conclusions did the court reach” here:
Quote:
The 11 judges ruled unanimously. They said the case was “justiciable” and Johnson’s advice subject to the law. Giving judgment, Lady Hale said: “The courts have exercised a supervisory jurisdiction over the lawfulness of acts of the government for centuries.”

They then ruled the decision to prorogue parliament was unlawful because it had “the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification”.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 08:58 PM   #199
llwyd
Muse

Actually this decision continues the centuries long tradition of stressing the supremacy of the parliament. As there is no such clear and formal separation of powers as in the US, this might confuse the American commentators. The PM and the cabinet have not been elected by the people - their position is founded on the command of majority in the parliament. This case goes against the cabinet and PM and for parliament - and only one of these bodies is directly elected by the people.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 09:28 PM   #200
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
England and Wales is a common law jurisdiction.
Parliament is hardly a matter or "common law". Not to mention that the SC has effectively overruled the Queen.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics