ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th September 2019, 11:03 PM   #121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

His latest is that anyone who gave information to the whistleblower is no better than a spy and... wink wink nudge nudge... we all know how spies were handled in the past....
Trump's fear of being spied on is developing into a full blown paranoia.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:14 PM   #122
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So far, Trump has not shown the intelligence to know when to get out.
Unlike his first two wives.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:21 PM   #123
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
She can probably do darn near anything more competently than Don.
Talk about damning with faint praise. A magic 8 ball is more competent than Trump!
Old 26th September 2019, 11:25 PM   #124
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Unlike his first two wives.
Haven't heard from Melanie lately...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:26 PM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I don't think his "base" will give a damn, he is doing what they would do if they had the opportunity.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:32 PM   #126
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Talk about damning with faint praise. A magic 8 ball is more competent than Trump!
The future is not clear.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:36 PM   #127
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Instead, we've got Trump pretty much talking about how he wants to execute this whistleblower.
...Correction. That Trump wants to execute the staff members who conveyed their concerns to the whistleblower.

Very publicly fantasizing about the mass execution of much of your support staff is not exactly what I would call acceptable or productive behavior. That, alone, is a friggin' huge red flag... which would mean something if it weren't just one more in a huge field of red flags.
Old 27th September 2019, 01:02 AM   #128
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't believe that is all that clear.

The Justice Department has wide latitude to interpret the requirements of such laws and told the DNI that the whistleblower law didn't apply here. The DNI is bound to follow their advice.

Whether Justice came to the right conclusion may be debatable, but there's an argument that the whistleblower law was for finding issues in the intelligence community and the president isn't part of that community. There's an argument to be had there.
No, that's not correct. The law says that if the Inspector General rules the complaint as urgent it is to be delivered to the Intelligence Committee within a week. That's the nature of whistleblower laws. They are designed to not allow personal latitude.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:16 AM   #129
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If the momentum builds for impeachment such that the Senate has to consider it seriously, would they try for the 25th?

That could be very easy to get anytime, and would avoid inconvenient impeachment evidence coming to light.
The 25th doesn’t really get us much closer to removal. Dudalb has already pointed out that you can use it only on mental or physical incapacity.

Furthermore the process begins by the Cabinet writing a letter to Congress. Then the President gets to write a letter to Congress. And then Congress has 21 days to vote. A 2/3 majority is required in both houses. And I am unsure whether or not the vice president is required to be one of the folks asking for removal.

ETA
on the other hand, I guess some senators might find mentally-unfit-for-office less traitorous to the party than high-crimes-and-misdemeanors. Plus, the 21 days allows for some horse trading and back-room deals.

Last edited by Ladewig; 27th September 2019 at 01:23 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:29 AM   #130
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Ok. I have gone almost three years without calling President Trump’s supporters stupid. I can no longer avoid that term.

We’re talking about a president who edited a weather map with a Sharpie. How stupid does one have to be to believe that guy would release a complete and accurate transcript of a phone call showing he violated federal law?
Old 27th September 2019, 01:33 AM   #131
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
God, I wish Peter Jackson would make that Dambusters movie he has been talking about for about Ten years now.
No thanks. The world doesn't need another overly long, bloated, over indulgent CGI mess.

Last edited by TheSupermeerkat; 27th September 2019 at 01:39 AM.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:35 AM   #132
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The whistleblower whose complaint has led to an impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump is a CIA officer, US media report.

Quote:
The unnamed officer once worked at the White House, several US outlets said.

The whistleblower says senior White House officials tried to "lock down" all details of a phone call between Mr Trump and the Ukrainian president.

Mr Trump demanded to know who gave information to the whistleblower, saying the source was "close to a spy".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49848103
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:42 AM   #133
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Congratulations to my friend @SenShelby, our powerful Appropriations Chairman, for his hard work on many strong bills that continue to rebuild our military, invest in border security, and many other priorities. Good work and keep fighting, you are winning!

No one has done more behind the scenes for STRONG BORDER SECURITY than @SenCapito. Her bill passed Committee today with $5B for the BORDER WALL. West Virginia is a great State and Shelley gets it done. Keep it up!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 01:43 AM   #134
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The President of Ukraine said that he was NOT pressured by me to do anything wrong. Can’t have better testimony than that! As V.P., Biden had his son, on the other hand, take out millions of dollars by strong arming the Ukrainian President. Also looted millions from China. Bad!

Will be a GREAT and very accurate show tonight by @seanhannity on @foxnews (9:00 PM). Will play my full statement from Air Force One!

(He then tweets most of the show.)
Old 27th September 2019, 03:19 AM   #135
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Congratulations to my friend @SenShelby, our powerful Appropriations Chairman, for his hard work on many strong bills that continue to rebuild our military, invest in border security, and many other priorities. Good work and keep fighting, you are winning!

No one has done more behind the scenes for STRONG BORDER SECURITY than @SenCapito. Her bill passed Committee today with $5B for the BORDER WALL. West Virginia is a great State and Shelley gets it done. Keep it up!

Getting a tweet like that would be like winning employee of the month award.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 03:23 AM   #136
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump's fear of being spied on is developing into a full blown paranoia.
His paranoia is fully justified. No small number of his staff/Administration leaks like the proverbial sieve. Because he's not capable of inspiring true loyalty, and indeed engenders a loathing in many who have any real exposure to the creature.

It will turn out to be his ultimate downfall, this naive and mistaken wandering into the world of politics, where eventually the knives come out in a way impossible in his little family-sized fiefdom where he could rule supreme. His ego-fueled desire to get back at Obama will result in Karma bitch-slapping him into ignominy. A schadenfreude-inducing fate anticipated by many millions around the world. I hope that at the end he at least dimly perceives in his heart of hearts how roundly despised he is, and contrasts that against the knowledge that his nemesis, Obama, is so very much more loved.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 03:37 AM   #137
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

What's with the utterly inappropriate superlatives?? And isn't the military already many times bigger and more heavily armed than whoever is second?

Quote:
Indeed! That border wall on the southern side of West Virginia is going to create so many more coal jobs.
Old 27th September 2019, 04:25 AM   #138
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's like during the Obama Administration. Scandal after scandal after scandal... Dijon mustard, tan suits, Michelle's bare shoulders, Obamacare.
You forgot wearing a bicycle helmet.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 04:31 AM   #139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

To show you how dishonest the LameStream Media is, I used the word Liddle’, not Liddle, in discribing Corrupt Congressman Liddle’ Adam Schiff. Low ratings @CNN purposely took the hyphen out and said I spelled the word little wrong. A small but never ending situation with CNN!

Obama loving (wrote Obama book) Peter Baker of the Failing New York Times, married to an even bigger Trump Hater than himself, should not even be allowed to write about me. Every story is a made up disaster with sources and leakers that don’t even exist. I had a simple and very....

.....nice call with with the new President of Ukraine, it could not have been better or more honorable, and the Fake News Media and Democrats, working as a team, have fraudulently made it look bad. It wasn’t bad, it was very legal and very good. A continuing Witch Hunt!
Old 27th September 2019, 04:41 AM   #140
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The 25th doesn’t really get us much closer to removal. Dudalb has already pointed out that you can use it only on mental or physical incapacity.

Furthermore the process begins by the Cabinet writing a letter to Congress. Then the President gets to write a letter to Congress. And then Congress has 21 days to vote. A 2/3 majority is required in both houses. And I am unsure whether or not the vice president is required to be one of the folks asking for removal.

ETA
on the other hand, I guess some senators might find mentally-unfit-for-office less traitorous to the party than high-crimes-and-misdemeanors. Plus, the 21 days allows for some horse trading and back-room deals.
Does anyone really doubt his mental incapacity

ETA My point being that the GOP could get rid of Trump quite painlessly whenever they want to, as he demonstrates lots of symptoms that they could just choose to stop ignoring.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 27th September 2019 at 04:56 AM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:15 AM   #141
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

To show you how dishonest the LameStream Media is, I used the word Liddle’, not Liddle, in discribing Corrupt Congressman Liddle’ Adam Schiff. Low ratings @CNN purposely took the hyphen out and said I spelled the word little wrong. A small but never ending situation with CNN!
For those with Twitter, spend a moment scrolling through the comments to that tweet! Hilarious, but hard to discribe!
Old 27th September 2019, 05:16 AM   #142
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

"It was the 'hypen' -- that's when I knew I had them!" he said, slowly rolling the steel balls through his tiny fingers.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:18 AM   #143
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
For those with Twitter, spend a moment scrolling through the comments to that tweet! Hilarious, but hard to discribe!
It's not even a hyphen, it's an apostrophe
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:26 AM   #144
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
No, that's not correct. The law says that if the Inspector General rules the complaint as urgent it is to be delivered to the Intelligence Committee within a week. That's the nature of whistleblower laws. They are designed to not allow personal latitude.
The law does not actually say that it's up to the IG to determine whether it's urgent or not. The term "urgent" is defined in the text. Thus, whether the IG says it's urgent or not, there is an independent standard for urgency.

There is not a single statement in that law that says if the IG says it's urgent, then it's urgent.[1]

Those in the administration are bound to follow the OLC's judgment in interpreting the laws that apply to their official work. Obviously, in this case where the AG is mentioned in the complaint, this is not ideal, but Maguire went by the book. When he had questions about how to react to the complaint and the IG's report in this (as he said) unprecedented case, he went to the highest authority in the administration for clarification.

I am not commenting on the OLC's response to Maguire's query, only the appropriateness of turning to the OLC.

[1] I had the same opinion as you expressed. I thought that if the IG says it's urgent, then it's urgent. My wife, who is an attorney, went to the text of the law and pointed out that's just not what it says.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:27 AM   #145
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Apostrophe-Gate!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:27 AM   #146
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Rep. Adam Schiff fraudulently read to Congress, with millions of people watching, a version of my conversation with the President of Ukraine that doesn’t exist. He was supposedly reading the exact transcribed version of the call, but he completely changed the words to make it...

...sound horrible, and me sound guilty. HE WAS DESPERATE AND HE GOT CAUGHT. Adam Schiff therefore lied to Congress and attempted to defraud the American Public. He has been doing this for two years. I am calling for him to immediately resign from Congress based on this fraud!
Old 27th September 2019, 05:33 AM   #147
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Um.

So was the apostrophe an accent ague? Is the totally not misspelled word pronounced "lid-lay"?

Shame on CNN for thinking that the apostrophe didn't make everything just right.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:35 AM   #148
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Elie Honig's response cuts right to the heart of the matter. "What the hell are you talking about?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:36 AM   #149
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Um.

So was the apostrophe an accent ague? Is the totally not misspelled word pronounced "lid-lay"?

Shame on CNN for thinking that the apostrophe didn't make everything just right.
CNN should apologize to Trump for overestimating his intelligence by assuming the apostrophe was a typo and not a magical singular "hyphen" that functions as British style quotation marks.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:37 AM   #150
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I re'eally do'n't se'e wha't th'e b'ig is'ssue i's. Perfectly understandable to me.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:40 AM   #151
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

If I hadn't actually seen this on The PDJT's Twitter account I would not have believed it. I haven't read the comments yet but am prepared for a morning's amusement. Hopefully enough to replace the feeling of alarm that this was actually presented by our Acting President.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:44 AM   #152
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Tweets

Rep. Adam Schiff fraudulently read to Congress, with millions of people watching, a version of my conversation with the President of Ukraine that doesn’t exist. He was supposedly reading the exact transcribed version of the call, but he completely changed the words to make it...

...sound horrible, and me sound guilty. HE WAS DESPERATE AND HE GOT CAUGHT. Adam Schiff therefore lied to Congress and attempted to defraud the American Public. He has been doing this for two years. I am calling for him to immediately resign from Congress based on this fraud!
He's totally losing it, isn't he? His handlers should get him out to supermarket openings and baby-kissing to get him away from his television set and his phone. He's going to see a whole bunch of things he doesn't like on the news, so he'll keep up the cray-cray for our entertainment value.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:46 AM   #153
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It was a blunder for Schiff to have creatively altered the read-out. It wasn't necessary, and it opened him up to this criticism.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:50 AM   #154
Tero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
We're reaching the point where I'd expect the execution might be televised and Donnie himself would pull the switch. Or would he use a bat like DeNiro in "The Untouchables?"

Make America Great Again.

(You imagine someone waking up who's been in a coma since 2014 and reading all of this?)

We've been watching too many episodes of Scandal, so my imagination got a little out of hand.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandal_(TV_series)
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #155
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It was a blunder for Schiff to have creatively altered the read-out. It wasn't necessary, and it opened him up to this criticism.
Trump is free to release the full transcripts of all his calls to disprove Schiff.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:54 AM   #156
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is free to release the full transcripts of all his calls to disprove Schiff.
He can't release them, he's being audited by the IRS.

Speaking of which, a rumor is spreading that a second whistleblower is surfacing, encouraged by the first, and this one's IRS. I doubt it's true but I mention it now so I'll look super prescient and smart if it happens.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:55 AM   #157
The Shrike
Philosopher

"It wasn’t bad, it was very legal and very good."

He also seems to be doubling down on the 2nd grade vocabulary.The dementia-watchers interpret these as signs of his cognitive decline. If not that, then what? Does he do this purposefully because he thinks he's communicating with simpletons in his base?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:57 AM   #158
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Old 27th September 2019, 06:08 AM   #159
jeremyp
Muse

Why? there's a perfectly good Dambusters movie that will be more true to the events, ethos and spirit of the time than anything Peter Jackson could spew up.
The SFX in Dambusters are laughable by today's standards. I hear Peter Jackson was inspired to do better when he saw the canyon scene from Star Wars.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 06:09 AM   #160
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The law does not actually say that it's up to the IG to determine whether it's urgent or not. The term "urgent" is defined in the text. Thus, whether the IG says it's urgent or not, there is an independent standard for urgency.

There is not a single statement in that law that says if the IG says it's urgent, then it's urgent.[1]

Those in the administration are bound to follow the OLC's judgment in interpreting the laws that apply to their official work. Obviously, in this case where the AG is mentioned in the complaint, this is not ideal, but Maguire went by the book. When he had questions about how to react to the complaint and the IG's report in this (as he said) unprecedented case, he went to the highest authority in the administration for clarification.

I am not commenting on the OLC's response to Maguire's query, only the appropriateness of turning to the OLC.

[1] I had the same opinion as you expressed. I thought that if the IG says it's urgent, then it's urgent. My wife, who is an attorney, went to the text of the law and pointed out that's just not what it says.
Having not actually read the law, and relying solely on second hand information, I'll bow to your more informed opinion.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics