ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , internet incidents , Twitter incidents

View Poll Results: Trump's "Great and Umatched Wisdom". Who wrote it?
Trump wrote it, that's really what he thinks. 67 77.01%
A suckup in the White House, making Trump happy. 10 11.49%
A troll in the White House, making Trump look foolish. 4 4.60%
Erdogan or Putin 1 1.15%
The Planet X'ers, via the probe in his rectum. 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th October 2019, 04:44 AM   #41
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I can't imagine anyone but Trump writing this tweet. His lackeys would gladly inflate his ego using Twitter, but they would have slightly more tact than this. Only Trump is willing to proclaim his semi-divinity in such stark terms.
Old 8th October 2019, 04:50 AM   #42
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I can't imagine anyone but Trump writing this tweet.
I can easily imagine Hannity or Dobbs saying that on their shows, and I fully expect to actually see them endorsing the tweet.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:02 AM   #43
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
To be sure, I think he probably believes his wisdom is unmatched, but I don't think that he would say so in this tweet except for the purpose of getting a rise out of some of his audience.

Really? You do recall that this is the same guy who described himself as a "stable genius", and is constantly trumpeting his own supposed intelligence and cleverness.

The man is clearly not smart enough to engage in that level of trolling. He clearly is delusional and narcissistic enough to not only believe that of himself, but to loudly proclaim it to everyone around him.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:04 AM   #44
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Really? You do recall that this is the same guy who described himself as a "stable genius", and is constantly trumpeting his own supposed intelligence and cleverness.

The man is clearly not smart enough to engage in that level of trolling. He clearly is delusional and narcissistic enough to not only believe that of himself, but to loudly proclaim it to everyone around him.
You could be right. Both of us are limited to our gut instincts based on how Trump behaves. I wouldn't lay serious money on my best guess.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:32 PM   #45
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

He says things like "stable genius" because of all the hot air "diagnosing" him as having mental issues.

As with the topic, it's pushing the buttons of the easily pushed.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:19 PM   #46
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
He says things like "stable genius" because of all the hot air "diagnosing" him as having mental issues.

And the expressed sentiments such as this tell us that Trump's basket of deplorables *want* a Troll to represent them and say through his megaphone just what they'd like to say.

Suppose for a moment Trump is really a clever troll and not unbalanced. Is this a productive way to govern and lead? Is the negativity that widens divisions a truly wise course? How does pitting 'sides' against each other actually improve things? Is bringing out and reinforcing a peoples' worst impulses good for the nation?

Adults that wish to exist in peace look for ways to find common cause and common ground, to heal wounds. Short-sighted, immature adolescents give in to emotion for immediate gratification.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:17 PM   #47
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's a kind of pathology on its own to have to push other people's buttons all the time.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:36 PM   #48
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
And the expressed sentiments such as this tell us that Trump's basket of deplorables *want* a Troll to represent them and say through his megaphone just what they'd like to say.

Suppose for a moment Trump is really a clever troll and not unbalanced. Is this a productive way to govern and lead? Is the negativity that widens divisions a truly wise course? How does pitting 'sides' against each other actually improve things? Is bringing out and reinforcing a peoples' worst impulses good for the nation?

Adults that wish to exist in peace look for ways to find common cause and common ground, to heal wounds. Short-sighted, immature adolescents give in to emotion for immediate gratification.

I take it he pushes your buttons. There are many things going wrong here, but trolling isn't one of them.

I remember people getting bent out of shape because Clinton played saxophone on the Arsenio Hall show and how disrespectfully unpresidential that was.

I believe your sentiment is well covered by Don Lemon every evening, as he stares into the camera, and gravely states, "Here we are. In America. With a president doing (outrage of the day.)"

I didn't vote for either. This crap is all your doing. I'm just laughing at the misery because both sides feel life is just swell if they could be in charge. "But our side isn't as bad!"

Sorry, ain't playing that game anymore. After decades, I see now nothing really changes.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 8th October 2019 at 09:41 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 09:49 PM   #49
Venom
Illuminator

OWNING the libs.

Ahaa. You guys are talking about it. Trump is in your heads rent-free. He's playing the media and liberal electorate like a fiddle. He knows you'll take some minor thing and blow it up, talk about him all day and night.... and you did!

Owned.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:08 PM   #50
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Getting free publicly because of his outrageous behavior worked well for Trump the Candidate.
But Trump the President doesn't need to outrage to get media coverage. His constant need to stay at the center of attention just comes across as needy and pathetic.
It is most Unpresidential.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 09:56 AM   #51
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
OWNING the libs.

Ahaa. You guys are talking about it. Trump is in your heads rent-free. He's playing the media and liberal electorate like a fiddle. He knows you'll take some minor thing and blow it up, talk about him all day and night.... and you did!

Owned.
Wow. Guess that makes him quite the president. True leadership.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:04 AM   #52
luchog

OWNING the libs.

Owned.

When someone with the power to destroy your life is actively working to destroy your life; then yeah, you're going to be aware of them and what they're doing. Only a complete moron wouldn't be.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:34 AM   #53
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Trump wrote or dictated it. Pretty sure he thinks it is funny. I don’t agree but I do agree our troops shouldn’t remain there.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 11:07 AM   #54
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post

Ah, could you please share the secret of how you stomach this ********?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:31 PM   #55
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Trump wrote or dictated it. Pretty sure he thinks it is funny. I don’t agree but I do agree our troops shouldn’t remain there.
Willing to have the blood of the Kurds on your hands.
Of course you thing that Dear Leader can do now wrong.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:51 PM   #56
Minoosh
Philosopher

What do you base your agreement on?

As I understand it about 1,000 troops remain in Syria. Do you think they should be there? Why or why not?

Whatever your answer, some of Trump’s staunchest allies blasted the pullout. And I guarantee they know more than you or I about the situation. I do not wish the Kurds ill, but I do wonder if the consequences of Trump’s actions are going to have any impact on his usually solid GOP support.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:03 PM   #57
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Yeah, and like all good comedians, perfect timing. After triggering what will undoubtedly be, unless someone stops it, ethnic cleansing of allies -- the people who destroyed the Caliphate -- on a whim or a deal or a blackmail payoff, or who knows why, the joker tells a funny "am I crazy or what?" joke.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #58
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What do you base your agreement on?

As I understand it about 1,000 troops remain in Syria. Do you think they should be there? Why or why not?

Whatever your answer, some of Trump’s staunchest allies blasted the pullout. And I guarantee they know more than you or I about the situation. I do not wish the Kurds ill, but I do wonder if the consequences of Trump’s actions are going to have any impact on his usually solid GOP support.
Do you like us being the world’s police?
I wonder why we have 1,000 troops there?
The people who got us into Vietnam and Iraq also knew more than you or I.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:53 PM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see you know nothing about the Mideast.
Just like Donnie in that regard.
Besides, we tried isolationism once, it did not work.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 9th October 2019 at 02:54 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:47 PM   #60
Venom
Illuminator

Historical context and knowledge of the geopolitical landscape is necessary for these decisions. Trump doesn't have any nor does he care. Many knee jerk antiwar people share this mentality.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:54 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see you know nothing about the Mideast.
Just like Donnie in that regard.
Besides, we tried isolationism once, it did not work.
Do you have an argument? Or just personal attacks?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 09:42 PM   #62
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Historical context and knowledge of the geopolitical landscape is necessary for these decisions. Trump doesn't have any nor does he care. Many knee jerk antiwar people share this mentality.
How successful has all of the supposed historical context and knowledge been so far.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:48 PM   #63
Venom
Illuminator

How successful has all of the supposed historical context and knowledge been so far.
The lack of it sure has produced some less than stellar results.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:39 PM   #64
Minoosh
Philosopher

You didn't answer my question.

If it's simply that you have a philosophy that the U.S. military should have no presence overseas that's fine.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:32 AM   #65
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There was an article a while ago that said that Trump approves all the tweets that are written for him. So even if he didn't write that himself, he still went "yup, that's how I want to be perceived".
Old 10th October 2019, 03:06 AM   #66
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There was an article a while ago that said that Trump approves all the tweets that are written for him. So even if he didn't write that himself, he still went "yup, that's how I want to be perceived".
I agree but also, this is one that is obviously written by the man himself because no underling would dare to put words like that in his mouth without his approval.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:02 AM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

You didn't answer his question.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:19 AM   #68
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

even those who think we should not have been in Syria in the first place are saying selling out the Kurds was a horrible action which might do more long term damage to the US then anything else Donnie has done.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:20 AM   #69
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You also need to remember that once people said in the 1990's "Who cares what happens over there? Can't impact us anyway" about another country in the Mideast.
That Country was Afghanistan.And we all know what happened...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th October 2019, 01:02 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You also need to remember that once people said in the 1990's "Who cares what happens over there? Can't impact us anyway" about another country in the Mideast.
That Country was Afghanistan.And we all know what happened...
This raises the question of what the US should have done in the 90s in Afghanistan, to prevent what happened. More importantly, it raises the question of what lesson we should have learned from Afghanistan, that can inform policy in Syria today. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing the parallel.

A closer parallel might be the US troop withdrawal from Iraq, more recently, and the subsequent ISIS-driven destabilization there. I think it's fair to say that Donald Trump has not learned that lesson. Or at least isn't applying it in Syria. I dunno. Maybe the problem is that Iraq isn't sufficiently analogous to Syria, and so there's no applicable lesson to be learned there.

But in that case, how is Afghanistan, where the US didn't even have a troop presence in the 90s anyway, analogous or instructive? Unless the lesson is that Afghanistan and the US would be better off today if the Russians hadn't withdrawn their troops from that region.

---

ETA: Just thought of another possible lesson. So how about this? We understand that the Kurds, understandably bitter, may produce their own Osama Bin Laden - an Osama Bin Kurdistan, if you will. In order to forestall another 9/11-type attack, we should keep a close eye on the Kurds, and if an OBK emerges and settles in under a friendly despot, we should definitely send a SEAL hit team sooner rather than later.

Last edited by theprestige; 10th October 2019 at 01:06 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 03:26 PM   #71
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In order to forestall another 9/11-type attack, we should keep a close eye on the Kurds, and if an OBK emerges and settles in under a friendly despot, we should definitely send a SEAL hit team sooner rather than later.
Just nuke the entire site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure...
Old 10th October 2019, 04:30 PM   #72
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Wow. Guess that makes him quite the president. True leadership.
As someone described him the other day. He is amazing in the same way that Ebola is amazing.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 05:45 AM   #73
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
You didn't answer my question.

If it's simply that you have a philosophy that the U.S. military should have no presence overseas that's fine.
I am not in favor of having troops in Syria. I am not against any presence overseas but I don't like them in war zones.
I admit I do not know that much about the complicated situation there.
Please educate me on the reasons we should be in Syria if you believe we should be there. I am not against learning.
There may humanitarian reasons we should be there.
But those types of circumstances exist all over the earth.
Old 11th October 2019, 10:55 AM   #74
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I am not in favor of having troops in Syria. I am not against any presence overseas but I don't like them in war zones.
I guess everyone prefers not to put troops at risk, but of course the point of having troops is that one is willing to put them in war zones.
Old 11th October 2019, 10:56 AM   #75
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I guess everyone prefers not to put troops at risk, but of course the point of having troops is that one is willing to put them in war zones.
My problem is that nobody seems to agree with me on which war zones to put them in.
Old 11th October 2019, 06:01 PM   #76
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My problem is that nobody seems to agree with me on which war zones to put them in.
Send like an awful lot of folk whip know stuff agree that leaving our troops in Syria was a good idea. But then they hadn't heard Erdogan's silver tongue.
Old 11th October 2019, 08:44 PM   #77
luchog

Send like an awful lot of folk whip know stuff agree that leaving our troops in Syria was a good idea. But then they hadn't heard Erdogan's silver tongue.

Or have Trump's investments in businesses in Turkey; which the current emoluments lawsuit filed by members of the House investigatory committee has been turning up.

Nearly every stupid or insane foreign policy decision Trump has made can be readily explained by his desire to put money into his own pockets and protect his overseas financial connections.
Old 11th October 2019, 10:39 PM   #78
Minoosh
Philosopher

I admit I do not know that much about the complicated situation there.
Please educate me on the reasons we should be in Syria if you believe we should be there. I am not against learning.
There may humanitarian reasons we should be there.
But those types of circumstances exist all over the earth.
They were a deterrent. To prevent a Turkish invasion. Which is happening now. While the Kurds fight the Turks, they're also trying to keep 11,000 ISIS fighters from escaping. Some have already escaped. The Kurds did the actual fighting with ISIS as well.

I don't mean to be snarky, but why do you need me to educate you? Educate yourself. Google "Why are there U.S. troops in Syria?" That should get you started.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:20 PM   #79
Minoosh
Philosopher

Here's some background from Wikipedia.
Old 12th October 2019, 01:51 AM   #80
Minoosh
Philosopher

Here's some background from Wikipedia.

ETA: To keep being a superpower the U.S. must have a military presence all over the globe. But if you're never going to use it, who's going to take it seriously? Almost all of Asia is under autocratic rule and South America is heading that way. We don't intervene in every conflict but we do for some, if it's important to the U.S. or its allies. Otherwise the U.S. would lose influence and relevance to the rest of the world. Would we pull troops out of South Korea? Let it fight its own battles. In Syria, a small number of special forces were able to train and equip a large Kurdish fighting force. For a modest investment we were keeping the peace and standing by our allies. Then we flee in the middle of the night knowing Turkey is coming and considers the Kurdish army a terrorist organization. Don't rely what Trump says. Check a few other sources. Then your opinions will be backed up by evidence.

Last edited by Minoosh; 12th October 2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: duped part of a post

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics