IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "A Wilderness of Error" , "Fatal Vision" , errol morris , Jeffrey MacDonald , Joe MacGinniss , murder cases

Reply
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:24 AM   #2641
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Is he dying, or does he just want released because he is old?
It was false evidence and Dixieland justice. There is a bit about this matter at this website:

"In the US, there have been numerous examples of lab analysts coming under pressure to produce particular results (see “Could the UK learn lessons from across the pond?“). As our survey reveals, UK analysts face similar pressures: 28.6 per cent of respondents told us they sometimes or always feel pressured to produce a particular result, while 75.4 per cent say they have insufficient time to evaluate a case properly (see diagram). The overwhelming majority – 83.6 per cent – of these felt the issue would get worse over the next five years.

“28.6 per cent of forensic scientists feel pressure to produce a particular result”

“Many of us do not have enough time to do our work, but if you combine this with the fact that nearly a third of [forensic scientists] are coming under pressure to produce a particular result, it gets extremely dangerous,” says Itiel Dror, an expert in cognitive bias at University College London. New Scientist recently showed how DNA analysts can reach very different conclusions about the same evidence (11 August 2010, p 8), raising the danger of contextual information about a case colouring judgement."



Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article...#ixzz77JGURSyv
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:27 AM   #2642
Warp12
Master Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
It was false evidence and Dixieland justice. There is a bit about this matter at this website:

"In the US, there have been numerous examples of lab analysts coming under pressure to produce particular results (see “Could the UK learn lessons from across the pond?“). As our survey reveals, UK analysts face similar pressures: 28.6 per cent of respondents told us they sometimes or always feel pressured to produce a particular result, while 75.4 per cent say they have insufficient time to evaluate a case properly (see diagram). The overwhelming majority – 83.6 per cent – of these felt the issue would get worse over the next five years.

“28.6 per cent of forensic scientists feel pressure to produce a particular result”

“Many of us do not have enough time to do our work, but if you combine this with the fact that nearly a third of [forensic scientists] are coming under pressure to produce a particular result, it gets extremely dangerous,” says Itiel Dror, an expert in cognitive bias at University College London. New Scientist recently showed how DNA analysts can reach very different conclusions about the same evidence (11 August 2010, p 8), raising the danger of contextual information about a case colouring judgement."



Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article...#ixzz77JGURSyv
Yeah, but I am asking about his latest appeal that was rejected. It was filed based on a "compassionate release" request. What were the grounds for that, under law, that he felt applied to him?
__________________
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.” - Confucius
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 04:33 PM   #2643
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
https://www.fayobserver.com/story/ne...gg/7164248002/

There were a number of vague reasons including a variety of illnesses he “may” get. He also included Covid although he had refused vaccination.

He is guilty despite the never ending rantings about evidence, lawyers, justice system etc.
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 12:58 AM   #2644
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Yeah, but I am asking about his latest appeal that was rejected. It was filed based on a "compassionate release" request. What were the grounds for that, under law, that he felt applied to him?
Somebody said a couple of years ago that he had suffered some kind of stroke. I have never seen it confirmed that he refused a Covid vaccination. He has been defeated over the years several times appealing to Judges Dupree and Fox and the North Carolina 4th Circuit and rubber stamped by the Supreme Court which was on the grounds of actual innocence. It could be a legal technicality appealing for compassion for an innocent man. The MacDonald case needed some extremely competent and impartial judges.

It's a bit like billionaires only seem interested in space travel and there is to be another series of conferences about climate change, while forests burn.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 03:51 AM   #2645
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
Covid refusal

http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/BB1evohc?ocid=se
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 08:59 AM   #2646
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
It was an inferior type of justice, more like in a kind of military dictatorship. Murtagh and Blackburn and other MacDonald prosecutors have been proved to be crooked prosecutors, probably because they come from North Carolina, and Bob Stevenson, Colette'sa brother, has said publicly that he knows nothing about the Macdonald case forensics and he has never investigated the matter. The man's a fool:

https://compassionaterelease.com/den...onate-release/
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 09:15 AM   #2647
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Several of MacDonald case prosecutors have been disbarred in the past for misconduct. That should have been taken into consideration by the bad judges.

https://jeffreymacdonaldblog.wordpress.com/blog/
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 10:33 PM   #2648
Warp12
Master Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Several of MacDonald case prosecutors have been disbarred in the past for misconduct. That should have been taken into consideration by the bad judges.

https://jeffreymacdonaldblog.wordpress.com/blog/
Do you correspond with MacDonald?
__________________
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.” - Confucius
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 04:50 AM   #2649
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Do you correspond with MacDonald?
I have never met the man or corresponded with him. I first became interested in the MacDonald case during the parole hearing in about 2004/5 when there was the same nonsense spouted by the likes of Bob Stevenson and Murtagh and JTF. I was then more interested in the Jon Benet Ramsey case though there were plenty of people who said MacDonald did not get a fair trial. You go by the evidence not by opinion.

https://jeffreymacdonaldcase.weebly.com/
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 04:52 AM   #2650
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
From that website:

MY OPINION

"Being a very close friend of Colette MacDonald since high school you would think that I would jump on the bandwagon that her husband did it and he deserves justice, right? Wrong. I have known the MacDonald's for so long, and was even a bridesmaid in their wedding, to know that Jeffrey would never do this to his family. He loved his wife and daughters very much, and was excited to be welcoming his first son into the world very soon. Yes him and his wife fought, but what married couple doesn't? They were very good working through their arguments and were happier than ever before the accident. I may have a biased opinion because I knew the family, but looking at the evidence I still do not believe that Jeffrey MacDonald killed his family. There is not enough evidence, and so much of it was corrupted, that you could not properly prosecute someone with that kind of evidence. It is only right that he shouldn't be serving time for a crime that he did not commit, but that is only my opinion. What is yours?"
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2021, 10:59 PM   #2651
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
Hearsay, opinion do not count

McMurderer was a con artist & compulsive liar.

He has fooled many over the past 51 years. Conspiracy theorists are particularly drawn to these fantasies.

Unfortunately for him, he couldn’t avoid the actual evidence.

He’s in a cage where he belongs.
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 08:05 AM   #2652
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
probably because they come from North Carolina
Why do you say that?
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 08:12 AM   #2653
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Several of MacDonald case prosecutors have been disbarred in the past for misconduct. That should have been taken into consideration by the bad judges.
That would have been hard to do in 1979 since Blackburn wouldn't be disbarred for nearly another 15 years. When he was a defense attorney.

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I was amused to see that this blog's authors are 5 students of "Advance English Writing" at Medaille College. 4 of the 5 seem to be interested in careers in veterinary medicine or animal sciences.
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 08:34 AM   #2654
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by GiSEQ View Post
McMurderer was a con artist & compulsive liar.

He has fooled many over the past 51 years. Conspiracy theorists are particularly drawn to these fantasies.

Unfortunately for him, he couldn’t avoid the actual evidence.

He’s in a cage where he belongs.
These idiots make me sick. It's like some kind of Irish bad character who slanders people behind their backs. Mistakes happen and serious ones. There should have been a careful investigation. North Carolina judges need to pull their socks up and then judge according to the evidence and not by appearance..

I suppose you can say that pizzagate was a conspiracy theory with fabricated evidence like in the Macdonald case and the JonBenet Ramsey case probably involved bad police work. I still think that Covid 19 and climate change and secret bugging is not a conspiracy theory and that Marilyn Monroe was murdered.

The actual so-called evidence against MacDonald was dubious from the start. CID agent Shaw thought Colette murdered one of the little girls and Stombaugh thought Colette hit MacDonald with a hairbrush. CID agent Kearns thought you could retest a urine stain accurately after ninety weeks. Murtagh said at the MacDonald trial that Stombaugh only said it could be and the same with the hairs and threads. Stombaugh was never qualified to present blood evidence in the MacDonald case. An airline pilot needs to be trained and qualified and so does a forensic expert. That was a con job because he had the gift of the gab.

Prosecutor Blackburn was imprisoned for dishonesty in another case. The Justice Department have accused forensic scientist Malone of being a total liar in several murder cases. Murtagh has been accused of coaching witnesses and perverting the course of justice in the Lockerbie case. The foreman of the MacDonald trial jury was overheard by three or four witnesses saying he was going to convict MacDonald before the trial even started!

It was not a fair trial and the real culprits have committed the perfect murder thanks to the stupidity of the American public and journalists, to add to the long list of undetected murders and miscarriages of justice around the world.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 26th September 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 08:52 AM   #2655
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by AnimalFriendly View Post
That would have been hard to do in 1979 since Blackburn wouldn't be disbarred for nearly another 15 years. When he was a defense attorney.
There is a bit about Blackburn at this website:

https://themacdonalddefense.wordpress.com/case-facts/
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 11:31 AM   #2656
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Already seen that slop. It's been around for awhile. Next.
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 06:24 PM   #2657
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
Poor Jeffrey McMurderer

I find it incredible that supporters of this animal can’t see through his “con”.

Why would the entire US Justice system want to conspire against this nobody for the last 51 years?

He’s just your garden variety serial cheater & family annihilator - happens all over the world far too frequently.

Should remain in his cage & never see the light of day again.
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 06:35 PM   #2658
Warp12
Master Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by GiSEQ View Post
I find it incredible that supporters of this animal can’t see through his “con”.

Why would the entire US Justice system want to conspire against this nobody for the last 51 years?

He’s just your garden variety serial cheater & family annihilator - happens all over the world far too frequently.

Should remain in his cage & never see the light of day again.
"Serial cheating" has nothing to do with murder, in itself. It is very common.
__________________
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.” - Confucius
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2021, 08:47 PM   #2659
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
Just an indication of his propensity for deceit.
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 09:31 AM   #2660
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by GiSEQ View Post
I find it incredible that supporters of this animal can’t see through his “con”.

Why would the entire US Justice system want to conspire against this nobody for the last 51 years?

He’s just your garden variety serial cheater & family annihilator - happens all over the world far too frequently.

Should remain in his cage & never see the light of day again.
It was all mixed up with drug smuggling in North Carolina. Colonel Kriwanek the local CID chief had a daughter who was in the Helena Stoeckley gang. CID officer Ivory was also said to be mixed up in the drug smuggling and one of the initial MacDonald prosecutors,Procter, was also involved. He was Judge Dupree's son in law at the time. Stombaugh, Murtagh and Blackburn all came from North Carolina and the North Carolina judges all backed each other up through thick and thin. It's what is known technically as bribery and corruption and letting the real culprits go free.. Protesting your innocence is not a con job if you are innocent. Personally. I'm disappointed in the Supreme Court.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 09:41 AM   #2661
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
There is an interesting opinion about the MacDonald case and what happened by former MacDonald lawyer Harvey Silverglate:

But the real burden of the case was not primarily financial; it was professional and, as it turned out, philosophical and psychological. The case would confirm all my worst suspicions about the criminal justice system in general, and the U.S. Department of Justice and the federal courts in particular. Beginning in the mid-1980s, I began noticing a perceptible shift in the culture of the federal criminal justice system. The public still clung to a weathered image of the DOJ and the federal courts as agents of change — protectors of civil rights and civil liberties, squeaky clean institutions in an otherwise corrupt sea of crooked cops and local courts. But the era of Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach, hero of the Southern civil rights movement under Lyndon Johnson, had ended, and the era of John Mitchell, Richard Nixon’s dour and shadowy henchman, was in full flower. And the malign influence of J. Edgar Hoover has long survived his death."
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 09:48 AM   #2662
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
That was at:

https://www.nacdl.org/Article/May201...JeffreyMacDona
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 02:24 PM   #2663
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ednc/pr...life-sentences
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 01:04 AM   #2664
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
I remember one of these biased North Carolina judges saying once in a legal document, I think it was Judge Fox, that actual innocence is not a grounds for appeal. If that's the law then the law is an ass.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 11:32 PM   #2665
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
Hearsay, I think?

The first half of your first sentence is totally inadmissible.

You can’t just pull that stuff out and expect to be taken seriously.
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2021, 01:36 AM   #2666
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
It was a con job by Murtagh who coached and bribed witnesses as he did in the Lockerbie case. Murtagh was later promoted for that. It was quite ludicrously unsatisfactory evidence. A good appeal judge should have been able to see that :

"Last month, Senior U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled that MacDonald's lawyers failed to establish that he shouldn't have been found guilty of the murder of his wife and two daughters. Fox also said MacDonald's lawyers failed to establish the merits of new evidence presented at a seven-day hearing in September 2012.

As part of his 169-page order, Fox also denied a certificate of appealability, leaving the future of the case in question. In the recent motion, MacDonald's lawyers said the DOJ report calls into question a former FBI investigator who worked on the MacDonald case. That former investigator, Michael Malone, testified that synthetic hairs found in the MacDonald home most likely belonged to a doll. MacDonald's lawyers had argued the hairs bolstered MacDonald's account of the attack that killed his family - that the hairs belonged to a wig worn by one of the attackers. MacDonald's lawyers said they were unaware the federal government was investigating Malone. "The Department of Justice and FBI spent the last several years reviewing Michael Malone's work-product and trial testimony to determine whether Malone provided invalid, unreliable, or false hair identification testimony," according to the motion. "The DOJ criticized Malone's testimony because he failed to perform his tests in a scientifically acceptable manner. "
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2021, 01:42 AM   #2667
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
That was from Charles Smith:

https://smithforensic.blogspot.com/2...na-people.html
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:14 AM   #2668
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by GiSEQ View Post
It was corrupt bias. Justice must seem to be done as well as seen to be done. Try to find out what is going on and make sure the guilty get convicted and the innocent go free.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:57 AM   #2669
GiSEQ
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 62
Exactly

That’s why he’s in a cage where he belongs.

You have absolutely no proof for the hearsay, innuendo and slanderous posts.
GiSEQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 01:16 AM   #2670
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by GiSEQ View Post
That’s why he’s in a cage where he belongs.

You have absolutely no proof for the hearsay, innuendo and slanderous posts.
I agree that there is no proof that MacDonald is guilty. It was manufactured evidence and made up by Murtagh who coached the witnesses. The judges and jury were not impartial. North Carolina needs to stop prosecuting lawyers and journalists and forensic whores and soldiers prosecuting innocent people and do what is right instead of saying they are very sorry after the event. It's sticking to a mistake through thick and thin. Just look at General Austen and Afghanistan. They haven't got the brains and they don't understand what is going on.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.