IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:11 AM   #321
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It is a hypothetical situation, but one that is silly. It requires that Trump undergo some unprecedented apotheosis.
"I'm going to be so presidential; you'll be bored."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:28 AM   #322
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, based upon the results...
What results? You think you have results? You came in with your own preconceived ideas and when people didn't give you the answers you wanted you suggested they were dishonest.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:30 AM   #323
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What results? You think you have results? You came in with your own preconceived ideas and when people didn't give you the answers you wanted you suggested they were dishonest.
Those would be the results Warp12 created from imagination.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:42 AM   #324
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Look, maybe we could agree that the OP is flawed, but still try and answer it in the spirit of convivial discourse. Or perhaps don’t make it about the former guy and concoct a fictional stand-in instead…say Onald-Day Ump-Tray XIIII. Another possibility: everybody post bunny pictures, but only bunnies with COVID!

I’m just split tailing here, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 1st September 2021 at 10:44 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:43 AM   #325
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Would you do hypotheticals if the world was simpler?

You improved my mood.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:50 AM   #326
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I'm reminded of some of the men in Kinky Daters confronted with a woman who prefers to play top. At least within the BDSM community there is some filtering.
If you know anything about the BDSM community you understand it is all based on respect and consent. You don't treat people with demeaning and disparaging comments without their consent. Long contracts are made up between partners as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

The idea that you can treat all women as second class as Warp has done or do it to women who haven't consented is just plain boorish and bad behavior.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:00 PM   #327
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If you know anything about the BDSM community you understand it is all based on respect and consent. You don't treat people with demeaning and disparaging comments without their consent. Long contracts are made up between partners as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

The idea that you can treat all women as second class as Warp has done or do it to women who haven't consented is just plain boorish and bad behavior.
Just as Trump has allowed the bigots and racists to come out and proudly say what they were already thinking, perhaps the same is true for how women are treated. After all, Trump doesn't hide his disrespect for women any more than he hides his racism. Trumpanzee see; Trumpanzee do.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:32 PM   #328
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Just as Trump has allowed the bigots and racists to come out and proudly say what they were already thinking, perhaps the same is true for how women are treated. After all, Trump doesn't hide his disrespect for women any more than he hides his racism. Trumpanzee see; Trumpanzee do.
It's funny, i heard my father use the sexist misogynistic term about women that Warp used. I didn't like him using it at all. Still he would never dream of saying it in the presence of women.

There are some things you do not do.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:36 PM   #329
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's funny, i heard my father use the sexist misogynistic term about women that Warp used. I didn't like him using it at all. Still he would never dream of saying it in the presence of women.

There are some things you do not do.
Whether in the presence of women or not, it's a disgusting term that reveals far more about the user than they probably intend.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:52 PM   #330
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Whether in the presence of women or not, it's a disgusting term that reveals far more about the user than they probably intend.
I don't disagree one bit.

Still I think there is a difference between someone who is disrespectful behind closed doors and someone who is brazenly open with their disrespect.

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st September 2021 at 01:17 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:58 PM   #331
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't disagree one bit.

Still I think there is a difference between someone who is disrespectful behind closed doors and someone who brazenly open with their disrespect.
It's called 'common sense'.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:28 PM   #332
Warp12
Master Poster

Just as a reminder to some, this is the OP, and topic:

This board obviously has a tremendous liberal slant.

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
Comments about the BDSM lifestyle, personal rants about your assessment of Trump, enthusiastically illustrating your inability to grasp sarcasm, etc., are not part of the topic at hand. Maybe with a little effort we can prevent another moderator intervention.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:31 PM   #333
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Look, maybe we could agree that the OP is flawed, but still try and answer it in the spirit of convivial discourse.
Were you considering answering the question posed?
Old 1st September 2021, 01:33 PM   #334
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's called 'common sense'.
I think it is having a sense of shame. An understanding that the term is demeaning and not wanting to be inconsiderate of women. Or at least not wanting to be perceived as inconsiderate.

My father was a sexist and a bigot. But he had limits to both and lines he wouldn't cross. We're seeing people today go far over the lines my father would not cross.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:36 PM   #335
Warp12
Master Poster

Many people didn't give answers to the question posed, but instead tap-danced and ranted about Trump.

That is a result. And a very telling one, in some cases.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2021 at 01:37 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 01:39 PM   #336
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Just as a reminder to some, this is the OP, and topic:

Comments about the BDSM lifestyle, personal rants about your assessment of Trump, enthusiastically illustrating your inability to grasp sarcasm, etc., are not part of the topic at hand. Maybe with a little effort we can prevent another moderator intervention.
Nonsense. It is a demonstration of how some individuals have no shame or respect for others.

Trump is one of those people and so are individuals who call women "split tails"and then say "that women like it."
Old 1st September 2021, 01:40 PM   #337
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Telling us not to "rant about Trump" while ranting and making snide comments about the Dems and posters is...gee...what's the word I want? Oh, yes...hypocritical.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:42 PM   #338
Warp12
Master Poster

Telling us not to "rant about Trump" while ranting and making snide comments about the Dems and posters is...gee...what's the word I want? Oh, yes...hypocritical.
I'm still waiting for you to answer the question posed. Obviously you are just here to further derail the thread.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:48 PM   #339
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Many people didn't give answers to the question posed, but instead tap-danced and ranted about Trump.

That is a result. And a very telling one, in some cases.
Tap dance is a suggestion that they were hiding from the truth...aka being dishonest in their discourse. Never mind that the premise of the question was faulty and dishonest to begin with.

And calling the results "telling" just demonstrates your own bias and nothing else. And deep down you know it.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:49 PM   #340
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still waiting for you to answer the question posed. Obviously you are just here to further derail the thread.
I did answer your question which I've told you several times and even linked to it for your convenience. I am not required to answer it to your satisfaction no matter how many times you insist I am.

As for derailing the thread, I'm not the one calling women derogatory names and then defending do so. Just what did you think was going to happen when you posted this? It would just be ignored?

Quote:
Most women consider "split-tail" to be a compliment, trust me. You just need to get them in the right mindset to admit it.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:54 PM   #341
Warp12
Master Poster

As for derailing the thread, I'm not the one calling women derogatory names and then defending do so. Just what did you think was going to happen when you posted this? It would just be ignored?
Please just stop. You are the one who mined posts from another thread in order to derail this one. And you ignored my immediate comment about the sarcastic nature of the comments. At any rate, I am not addressing you on this, any further.
Old 1st September 2021, 01:55 PM   #342
Warp12
Master Poster

For those who don’t think Trump had a good chance to win 2020 if COVID hadn’t occurred, some things to read:

Quote:
Or was it as a result of the coronavirus, the biggest crisis that engulfed his presidency? Before the virus arrived on these shores, Trump's political vital signs were strong. He had survived his impeachment trial. His approval ratings matched the highest level it had been - 49%. He could boast a strong economy and the advantage of incumbency: the twin factors that usually secure a sitting president a second term. Often presidential elections turn on a simple question: is the country better off now than it was four years ago? After Covid hit, and the economic crisis that followed, it became almost impossible to make that case.
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54788636
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1667035.html
https://theconversation.com/how-covi...-defeat-150110

So, while you might not agree that it was going to happen, clearly it was very much a possibility.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:07 PM   #343
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Please just stop. You are the one who mined posts from another thread in order to derail this one. And you ignored my immediate comment about the sarcastic nature of the comments. At any rate, I am not addressing you on this, any further.
You didn't have to defend it, but you did. Stop tap dancing around answering my question.

And you didn't claim they were 'sarcastic' until after claiming they were 'funny/humorous'.

But I'll let it drop now. I think the point has been made.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:13 PM   #344
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

For those who don’t think Trump had a good chance to win 2020 if COVID hadn’t occurred, some things to read:

So, while you might not agree that it was going to happen, clearly it was very much a possibility.
Oh, I do think it was very much possible because people are essentially very selfish. As long as they've got theirs, especially financially, to hell with just about everything and everyone else. Even if the president is a malignant narcissist, a pathological liar, and a sociopath intent on destroying our democracy, a large portion of the electorate will overlook it if they've got money in their pockets.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:13 PM   #345
Warp12
Master Poster

Some people here have implied that this situation I proposed, the hypothetical of a world without COVID and Trump winning 2020, was somehow a tremendous fantasy. Like something that was unlikely to ever occur.

I don't see how it can be viewed as such. A global pandemic occurring is a much greater statistical outlier than an incumbent with a solid economy getting reelected.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:20 PM   #346
carlitos
"más divertido"

Some people here have implied that this situation I proposed, the hypothetical of a world without COVID and Trump winning 2020, was somehow a tremendous fantasy. Like something that was unlikely to ever occur.

I don't see how it can be viewed as such. A global pandemic occurring is a much greater statistical outlier than an incumbent with a solid economy getting reelected.
Who implied this?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:20 PM   #347
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Frankly it deserves nothing but derailment. Why should we listen to the junior mod ramblings of a misogynistic psycho-partisan?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.

Last edited by kookbreaker; 1st September 2021 at 02:22 PM.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:24 PM   #348
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Who implied this?
Those who posed ridiculous hypotheticals in return, implying that the question posed was so outlandish as to be an unrealistic.

Clearly it is not.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:26 PM   #349
Susheel
Master Poster

Those who posed ridiculous hypotheticals in return, implying that the question posed was so outlandish as to be an unrealistic.

Clearly it is not.
Stamp your feet a bit...might make it sound more convincing.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:30 PM   #350
Warp12
Master Poster

Who implied this?

Clearly it is not.
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Stamp your feet a bit...might make it sound more convincing.
There you go. Another similar response. The whole concept of a second Trump term is just too much to grasp, for some.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:30 PM   #351
carlitos
"más divertido"

Clearly it is not.
I'm looking for names. I didn't see anyone say that Trump couldn't have won if COVID didn't happen. Personally, without the mismanagement of the pandemic, I thought that he had a good chance of winning the electoral college, if not the popular vote.

Enlighten me please.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:34 PM   #352
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Really? No one is going to ask what the pharmacy girl's mile time was? Not even a split-time?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:39 PM   #353
Susheel
Master Poster

There you go. Another similar response. The whole concept of a second Trump term is just too much to grasp, for some.
Nope...I don't think anyone here over estimated the intelligence of the a average American voter...especially a Republican. Nor do they underestimate the ability of a more efficient voter suppression scheme if there had been no COVID to distract them.

Last edited by Susheel; 1st September 2021 at 03:40 PM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:41 PM   #354
Warp12
Master Poster

I'm looking for names. I didn't see anyone say that Trump couldn't have won if COVID didn't happen. Personally, without the mismanagement of the pandemic, I thought that he had a good chance of winning the electoral college, if not the popular vote.

Enlighten me please.
You are already enlightened on this issue, apparently.

I've already explained the type of responses that implied it was an unrealistic hypothetical.
Old 1st September 2021, 02:42 PM   #355
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly it is not.

Old 1st September 2021, 02:49 PM   #356
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Enlighten me please.
I don't think Trump couldn't have won. But the idea that Trump was headed towards certain victory if COVID hadn't happened is patently false. There is little doubt in my mind Trump was headed to a second popular vote defeat. Whether he would have won the electoral vote is really an unknown.

I do however believe that COVID presented Trump an opportunity to easily win reelection. All he had to do was listen to the experts, follow the science and act like a President trying to unite the country.

But Trump crapped the bed on a golden opportunity. His own narcissistic insecurities and stupidity put himself on the wrong side of common sense.

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st September 2021 at 03:11 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:02 PM   #357
Warp12
Master Poster

I don't think Trump couldn't have won. But the idea that Trump was headed towards certain victory if COVID hadn't happened is patently false. There is no little doubt in my mind Trump was headed to a second popular vote defeat. Whether he would have won the electoral vote is really an unknown.

I do however believe that COVID presented Trump an opportunity to easily win reelection. All he had to do was listen to the experts, follow the science and act like a President trying to unite the country.

But Trump crapped the bed on a golden opportunity. His own narcissistic insecurities and stupidity put himself on the wrong side of common sense.
So, you are saying he essentially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then. In our current Covid world, that is.

People seem to forget that he still managed to get 74 million votes, even with how he screwed the pooch with Covid. That is why I am surprised that some just scoff at the idea of his chances of victory, and don't want to directly address the scenario I proposed.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2021 at 03:05 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:11 PM   #358
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think Trump couldn't have won. But the idea that Trump was headed towards certain victory if COVID hadn't happened is patently false. There is no little doubt in my mind Trump was headed to a second popular vote defeat. Whether he would have won the electoral vote is really an unknown.

Yep. Which is why he was so dangerous as POTUS.
Old 1st September 2021, 03:15 PM   #359
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So, you are saying he essentially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then. In our current Covid world, that is.

People seem to forget that he still managed to get 74 million votes, even with how he screwed the pooch with Covid. That is why I am surprised that some just scoff at the idea of his chances of victory, and don't want to directly address the scenario I proposed.
Yes, he did. People have a tendency to dig in rather than admit they were wrong. But thank goodness 81.2 million people were not that stupid with many changing from voting for Trump 2012 to Biden 2020.
Old 1st September 2021, 03:19 PM   #360
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Were you considering answering the question posed?
I’m an Albertazoid from the planet Magoo 12, so not a registered Democrat, sorry.

Coincidentally, I only just today found my misplaced stack of fake bamboo ballots. Bad ‘zoid! Off to bed without my supper of delicious split-tail soup! (Sob!)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics