IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 1st June 2022, 01:29 PM   #3041
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
September infections of Covid?

That makes no sense.

This has clearly not reached the level of established fact otherwise it would be part of any working theory of the origins of Covid.

Besides, if the cases were in September it would torpedo your claim the Wuhan Games led to the outbreaks in Italy.
I'm not sure how other researchers were supposed to incorporate in their work research only recently published.

How would cases in Sept mean the military games in Oct couldn't have spread the virus worldwide?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2022, 01:46 PM   #3042
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The ones China at first admitted to then later refused to share any of the demographic data about. Demographic as in the things an epidemiologist would look at to track down the source of an outbreak.
That sounds a lot like 9\11 CT that argues early, erroneous, statements prove that latter more accurate information are really part of a coverup. The earliest confirmed case was recorded on Dec 11, non-confirmed or speculative cases before this date should not be used in these studies.
Old 1st June 2022, 04:03 PM   #3043
angrysoba
Philosophile

The ones China at first admitted to then later refused to share any of the demographic data about. Demographic as in the things an epidemiologist would look at to track down the source of an outbreak.
Can you be more specific with dates and locations?
Old 1st June 2022, 04:07 PM   #3044
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
On my reading of the paper by Caraballo-Ortiz et al., they are not suggesting any humans had been infected with SARS-CoV-2 in September 2019, or even in October. So far as I can tell, their methods are incapable of determining when the first human infections occurred. In the following quotation, they are talking about the evolution of the Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) of SARS-CoV-2. With my highlighting:
Right! This would not be inconsistent, then, with Worobey's paper, as far as I can tell.

When I looked through the paper, and I am not competent to judge the science of the paper, I could not find any reason for thinking it would favour the lab leak over spillover.

Indeed. It would even answer the questions the lab leakers often ask which is why the virus was ready for human to human transmission immediately. The answer would be, it wasn't.
Old 1st June 2022, 04:12 PM   #3045
angrysoba
Philosophile

I'm not sure how other researchers were supposed to incorporate in their work research only recently published.

How would cases in Sept mean the military games in Oct couldn't have spread the virus worldwide?
I was referring to your link that said it was in Italy in September 2019.

The article was from November 2020.

Is this still considered plausible? Genuine question as I have no idea. It refers to some people who were screened for lung cancer.

Were these contaminated samples?
Old 10th June 2022, 01:56 AM   #3046
angrysoba
Philosophile

No evidence of Covid infections in blood donors in Wuhan from Sept-Dec 2019.

Quote:
we reviewed SARS-CoV-2 antibody results from these donors who donated several times from September 2019 to June 2020, partly tested in a previous published study, no one was found a significant increase in S/CO of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2. Our findings showed no SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies existing among blood donors in Wuhan, China before 2020, indicating no evidence of transmission of COVID-19 before December 2019 in Wuhan, China.
Link

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology