IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th June 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

Forum Spell Checker: How to Turn Off

I am having trouble with spelling. However, the problem doesn't totally originate from my schooling. When I post a reply, some of my words are replaced with some other word that sounds somewhat the same.

The mistaken correction occurs before I submit the post. However, there is often a delay between my typing the word and the replacement. So I am often unaware that the word has been replaced before I submit the post. So there remain in the posts these awful spelling errors.

When I correct the word, the word is replaced a second time. So even when I think that I have corrected it, it somehow gets fixed incorrectly by the time I submit.

I have made frequent use of the <edit> button on my submitted posts. However, the edit option disappears as soon as someone else comments on my post. I understand this policy and don't want it to change. However, I am often unaware of the spelling error until someone else gets confused or upset about it. Then I am embarrassed and can't change it.

I am not sure where the spell checker is. It may be in the editor of this forum, or somehow attached to my own editor. Where ever the spell checker is, I don't like it. I would rather take chances with my own spelling ability than overzealous correction software.

I don't see other people complaining about it, so maybe it is specific to my system. Just for the record, I am using an Apple computer. However, I suspect that this may be a problem for IBM clones (sometimes called PC) too.

My too questions are:

1) Is the spelling checker associated with the Skeptics Forum or something on my system?

2) How can I turn off or modify the spell checker?
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

It's most likely your system. If you're running a fairly recent version of OSX, type a Command-space and enter "keyboard", hit Return, select the "Text" tab, and uncheck "Correct spelling automatically".
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Never had that problem. You probably have a virus or something.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pulvinar View Post
It's most likely your system. If you're running a fairly recent version of OSX, type a Command-space and enter "keyboard", hit Return, select the "Text" tab, and uncheck "Correct spelling automatically".
Thank you! This suggestion may solve my problem. In any case, I just learned something important about OS X!
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2015, 12:31 AM   #5
Jrrarglblarg

iOS 8.whatever thinks it knows what I want to say and frequently changes words after I type them. It's starting to pustule my horse.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
iOS 8.whatever thinks it knows what I want to say and frequently changes words after I type them. It's starting to pustule my horse.
Autocorrect and its function of IOS/Android/WP. Should be able to turn off. No idea where it is in IOS/Android (only know about WP)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics