ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th November 2019, 10:12 PM   #161
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It just occurred to me that "lisp" and "stutter" are difficult words to say for people who have those conditions.
Also "Rhoticism".

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM   #162
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I grew up in the North East of England and whilst by accent and pronunciation is probably a lot more neutral, I do tend to maximise the number of syllables in words (Mrs Don's pronunciation in brackets)

Library - Lie-bra-ree (Lie-bary)
February - Feb-roo-arry (Feb-ree)
Wednesday - Wed-ens-day (Whens-day)
Film - Fill-um (Moo-vee)

Maybe we just add those syllables to give us something to do on those long, cold winter's nights
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #163
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I grew up in the North East of England and whilst by accent and pronunciation is probably a lot more neutral, I do tend to maximise the number of syllables in words (Mrs Don's pronunciation in brackets)

Library - Lie-bra-ree (Lie-bary)
February - Feb-roo-arry (Feb-ree)
Wednesday - Wed-ens-day (Whens-day)
Film - Fill-um (Moo-vee)

Maybe we just add those syllables to give us something to do on those long, cold winter's nights
From what I can tell you both pronounce them incorrectly .
Lie brairy
Feb ue airy
Wend's day
Film
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #164
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

English is a wonderful language, perhaps some day they'll consider using it in England.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM   #165
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

When I was a kid, we would occasionally see a Jagwire on the street. You know, the British car brand named after a big cat of the western hemisphere.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #166
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The Japanese language puts four syllables in the word "film" in Katakana.

fu-i-ru-mu

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%8...83%AB%E3%83%A0
Not sure how the special characters will appear on your device but it looks OK on mine.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #167
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
When I was a kid, we would occasionally see a Jagwire on the street. You know, the British car brand named after a big cat of the western hemisphere.

Unlike real live jaguars the Brit version was easy to track and catch. You just started at the dealership and followed the oil leaks until you got to where the clutch had given out.

Sometimes as much as entire blocks away.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #168
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Unlike real live jaguars the Brit version was easy to track and catch. You just started at the dealership and followed the oil leaks until you got to where the clutch had given out.

Sometimes as much as entire blocks away.
As it happens, I saw one dead on the roadside just yesterday! From the Ford era, I believe.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #169
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The Japanese language puts four syllables in the word "film" in Katakana.

fu-i-ru-mu

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%8...83%AB%E3%83%A0
Not sure how the special characters will appear on your device but it looks OK on mine.
That's because Japanese doesn't have a /l/, and because Katakana is a syllabary where each character represents either a single vowel, or a consonant and a vowel. Or a single consonant that we in English render with two letters, like /sh/ and /th/, and a vowel.

That's why Japanese is so easy to pronounce. It's pronounced exactly as it as written.

ETA: The /i/ character is smaller than the others, which means it modifies the previous character from /fu/ to /fi/. There is no single character for /fu/. So it's actually a little more complex than I said it would be. The word is pronounced fi-ru-mu.

ETAA: The /f/ sound as we use it doesn't strictly exist in Japanese either. The character for /fu/ appears on the /h/ line and is pronounced without a strong fricative sound as we would use it.

Japanese writing is fascinating.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; Yesterday at 07:41 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #170
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That's because Japanese doesn't have a /l/, and because Katakana is a syllabary where each character represents either a single vowel, or a consonant and a vowel. Or a single consonant that we in English render with two letters, like /sh/ and /th/, and a vowel.

That's why Japanese is so easy to pronounce. It's pronounced exactly as it as written.

ETA: The /i/ character is smaller than the others, which means it modifies the previous character from /fu/ to /fi/. There is no single character for /fu/. So it's actually a little more complex than I said it would be. The word is pronounced fi-ru-mu.

ETAA: The /f/ sound as we use it doesn't strictly exist in Japanese either. The character for /fu/ appears on the /h/ line and is pronounced without a strong fricative sound as we would use it.

Japanese writing is fascinating.
I bet the Japanese real hate the word 'FujiFilm'.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education