ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2017, 06:53 PM   #1441
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I don't need self esteem to enjoy myself if I can go golfing and do what I enjoy because you'll be cleaning my toilets and providng my food and housing.
Then you won't live in happiness. People will tell you that you are lazy and you'll totally lose your self esteem.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 09:34 AM   #1442
Joecool
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Then you won't live in happiness. People will tell you that you are lazy and you'll totally lose your self esteem.
Why would I be labeled as lazy? You said in a no money world, everyone does what they enjoy so I'll be a golfer and you'll be a toilet cleaner. Both of us will be happy and fulfilled.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 09:54 AM   #1443
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Why would I be labeled as lazy? You said in a no money world, everyone does what they enjoy so I'll be a golfer and you'll be a toilet cleaner. Both of us will be happy and fulfilled.
You won't be happy playing golf because you'll be full of remorse. What you'll be happy is to clean the toilets or anything else. Then you'll gain self esteem and live with happiness. That's what the scientific study says.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 11:40 AM   #1444
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

You won't be happy playing golf because you'll be full of remorse. What you'll be happy is to clean the toilets or anything else. Then you'll gain self esteem and live with happiness. That's what the scientific study says.

Nope, the 2017 World Happiness Report that the article you referenced before was based upon makes no reference to "remorse" nor "esteem"

http://worldhappiness.report/ed/2017/

You have fixated on just one line in the article (not from the report) ...

"Work plays a key role, as unemployment causes a big drop in happiness."

And then just tried to attribute whatever crap you wanted to that report.

From the report itself

Quote:
Subjective well-being, in contrast,
captures the increased anxiety and new concerns
that emerge from growing dependence on the
labor market. The data show a marked decline in
subjective well-being from 1990 to about 2005,
and a substantial recovery since then. The chapter
shows that unemployment and changes in the
social safety nets play key roles in explaining both
the post-1990 fall and the subsequent recovery.
and

Quote:
As such, this chapter
delves further into the dynamics of unemployment
to show that individuals’ happiness adapts
very little over time to being unemployed and
that past spells of unemployment can have a
lasting impact even after regaining employment.
The data also show that rising unemployment
negatively affects everyone, even those still
employed.
You are trying to take a report that at least in part relates to unhappiness due to unemployment in monetary societies and just slap your own inclinations about non-monitory society upon it. That's not how a "scientific study" works. They didn't study what you are asserting.

Further

Quote:

This chapter also considers how happiness
relates to the types of job that people do, and
finds that manual labor is systematically correlated
with lower levels of happiness.
So what the study does say is that someone cleaning toilets would tend to be less happy than, say, someone playing golf (particularly if they like golf), any way you slice it (pun intended).
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 03:05 PM   #1445
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Nope, the 2017 World Happiness Report that the article you referenced before was based upon makes no reference to "remorse" nor "esteem"

You have fixated on just one line in the article (not from the report) ...

"Work plays a key role, as unemployment causes a big drop in happiness."

And then just tried to attribute whatever crap you wanted to that report.

From the report itself

and

You are trying to take a report that at least in part relates to unhappiness due to unemployment in monetary societies and just slap your own inclinations about non-monitory society upon it. That's not how a "scientific study" works. They didn't study what you are asserting.

Further

So what the study does say is that someone cleaning toilets would tend to be less happy than, say, someone playing golf (particularly if they like golf), any way you slice it (pun intended).
What the study says is that if you don't work you are not happy then if you work you are happy. It doesn't talk about money it talks about work. Why if someone is not happy if he doesn't work i believe it got something to do with self esteem but it doesn't matter if you don't work you are unhappy.
Old 26th March 2017, 03:12 PM   #1446
fagin
Illuminator

...i believe i...
can fly.

Oh ****.

I
w
a
s

w
r
o
n
g
Old 26th March 2017, 04:39 PM   #1447
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

What the study says is that if you don't work you are not happy then if you work you are happy.
Nope what the study says is just that people who are unemployed tend to report more negative life satisfaction than those who aren't.

From the actual report...

Quote:
Indeed,
there is some evidence that the relationship
between employment and happiness is dynamic
in nature and may run in both directions. That
is to say that happier individuals may be somewhat
more likely to obtain employment in the
first place or that unhappy people may be more
likely to lose their jobs.13 This means that the
cross-sectional results reported in this chapter—
and much of the related literature—cannot be
interpreted causally and require this important
caveat.

As shown it even asserts the reason for such might not be that the unemployment caused the unhappiness but that the unhappiness might cause the unemployment. It explicitly cautions against making the very causal interpretation you assert.

Please read the report, if you actually intend claim it supports your assertions.

It doesn't talk about money it talks about work.
It talks about money, income, job markets, economies and such all over the place. Heck, even if it wasn't explicitly stated all over the place I'm not aware of any OECD, The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (what this report involves) member country that doesn't have a monetary based economy.

Why if someone is not happy if he doesn't work i believe it got something to do with self esteem but it doesn't matter if you don't work you are unhappy.
You are free to think what you want. What you are not free to do is to just posit your own thinking onto the study, evidently without even reading it, and pretend it supports your thinking. Particularly when the very text of the report specifically gives the "important caveat" that the specific correlation you stress "cannot be interpreted causally" as you are doing.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")

Last edited by The Man; 26th March 2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typos and typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2017, 10:07 PM   #1448
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Plenty of people derive more self esteem from their Candy Crush Highscore than their last week's job performance.
Old 27th March 2017, 06:16 AM   #1449
Gaetan
Master Poster

That's where the profit for education, heath care and starvation go, in tax havens. Let's abolish the cause of the problem, money.

Europe’s biggest banks register €25 billion profit in tax havens

Published: 27 March 2017

Europe’s 20 biggest banks are registering over a quarter of their profits in tax havens – well out of proportion to the level of real economic activity that occurs there, according to a new report by Oxfam and the Fair Finance Guide International today.

The report, ‘Opening the Vaults,’ suggests the discrepancy may have arisen because some banks are using tax havens to avoid paying their fair share of tax, to facilitate tax dodging for their clients, or to circumvent regulations and legal requirements.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/p...fit-tax-havens
Old 27th March 2017, 06:51 AM   #1450
fagin
Illuminator

And so it goes...
Old 27th March 2017, 10:57 PM   #1451
Joecool
Graduate Poster

Smile

It doesn't matter what some survey says. I love golf and I know that I would be happy and fulfilled playing golf every day. That will be my contribution to society. You can get your fulfillment cleaning my toilets and serving me food.

I don't like cleaning toilets but you enjoy it and get fulfilled doing it so it will be a perfect match and I can even dedicate a round of golf for you to make you feel important.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance