ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political speculation , uk politics

Old 4th August 2019, 07:48 AM   #681
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Seems a rather strange thing to hang onto as it was only ever because of a limitation in one type of technology, that limitation no longer exists but you want to still correct for it therefore now creating an error....
Shades of the 16550A...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #682
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
It isn't wrong, it's just personal choice.
No, it's wrong. Professional typesetters don't do it and there's no need for anybody else to do it, except possibly with a fixed width font.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 08:10 AM   #683
Francesca R
Girl

As long as it’s legal I can cope with wrong

ETA Look at that I am so used to the double space providing the full stop that I often end up missing it off otherwise.

Last edited by Francesca R; 4th August 2019 at 08:11 AM.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 08:15 AM   #684
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
That's because multiple spaces after a full stop (aka period) are wrong. It was only ever introduced due to the limitations of typewriter fixed width fonts.
They're not "wrong" at all, they're a matter of personal choice. If, for example, you want to type a simple list suitably spaced here on ISF the s/w would strip out your formatting spaces and the alignment would go out the window. For example, this little list is nicely formatted until I post it (quote it to see the original, but it'll only be visible while you're adding your own comment):

Jones 100 123.14
Williams 99 64.02
Lee 7 2345.00

The only way to get it aligned is to create a table, which is a nuisance and introduces boxes where you might not want them. Reducing everything to a single space against the wishes of the writer seems totally arbitrary to me.

Last edited by GlennB; 4th August 2019 at 08:16 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 09:01 AM   #685
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Reducing everything to a single space against the wishes of the writer seems totally arbitrary tyrannical to me.
Corrected.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 09:43 AM   #686
GlennB

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Old 4th August 2019, 11:45 AM   #687
ceptimus
puzzler

I think maybe you can use the code tag (plus a fixed-width font if the code tag doesn't do that automatically) to preserve spaces and format?

Testing:
Code:
 * *   *     *     It seems to work.  <- That was two spaces!
  *    *        *  Although I admit it's a rather convoluted way to post! 
Reducing all blocks of whitespace to a single displayed space is standard HTML behaviour unless you use the <pre> tag or similar, so it's not really something specifically intended by the writers of vBulletin.

Last edited by ceptimus; 4th August 2019 at 11:53 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 12:09 PM   #688
GlennB

Thanks for the effort to help, but it seems to come out funny:

Code:
Jones     100     123.14
Williams   99       64.02
Lee            7   2345.00
Old 4th August 2019, 12:10 PM   #689
GlennB

dupe

Last edited by GlennB; 4th August 2019 at 12:12 PM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 01:36 PM   #690
ceptimus
puzzler

Thanks for the effort to help, but it seems to come out funny:

Code:
Jones     100    123.14
Williams   99     64.02
Lee         7   2345.00
It's awkward, because although the final post (code section) renders as a fixed width font, you're still using a proportional font in the editor - so letters like H and M are wider than I, and much wider than a space. The solution is to prepare your post in an editor, such as NotePad, that does use a fixed width font - that way you can see what your eventual post will look like. Then you copy & paste the text to the forum post editor, where it looks misaligned because of the proportional font, but then if you preview or post, it will come out right again.

Like I said, it's really only a curiosity - too much trouble for normal work.

Last edited by ceptimus; 4th August 2019 at 01:42 PM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 02:07 PM   #691
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

what the **** does any of this have to do with the PM?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 02:22 PM   #692
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Nothing. People could use the code format if they want to fix half those problems.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 02:32 PM   #693
GlennB

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Jacob Rees-Mogg has demanded that full stops be followed by double spaces.

He'll be disappointed if he gets printouts of ISF posts
Old 4th August 2019, 11:53 PM   #694
a_unique_person

Jacob Rees-Mogg has demanded that full stops be followed by double spaces.

He'll be disappointed if he gets printouts of ISF posts
He'll be be very, very disappointed if he reads any of Trump's tweets
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:22 AM   #695
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It's a lot more likely to be useful than Boris, or any discussion about him.

He's a gigantic, over-privileged twat. Not much more needs to be said.
Old 5th August 2019, 12:56 AM   #696
a_unique_person

Code:
As    many    spaces     as     could      ever      want!!!!
Old 5th August 2019, 09:29 AM   #697
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps they are going to use the wonderful new technology they will have running at the NI/Irish border on the 1st of November?
Sure once they finish with our Wall.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:06 AM   #698
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Sure once they finish with our Wall.
It'll be good practice for the Great Scottish Wall.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:25 AM   #699
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Interesting read on some of the advisers being brought in by Johnson:
Quote:
They’re young, they’re ambitious, and many are of a libertarian bent. A new cadre of special advisers has entered Downing Street and various ministries under the regime of Boris Johnson, suggesting radical rightwing thought and true believers in hard Brexit are in the ascendancy.
But one of the most radical appointments is Munira Mirza, who heads Johnson’s policy unit after serving as his deputy mayor for arts for eight years. Her appointment to such a senior job in charge of all policy was unexpected given her lack of experience in Westminster politics.
Over the years, she has been a prominent critic of multiculturalism as a government policy, opposing Theresa May’s racial disparities audit for public services by claiming the “scene was being set for another bout of political self-flagellation regarding the subject of race in Britain”. She is also co-founder of the Manifesto Club, a pressure group challenging the “erosion of public freedoms”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ecial-advisers
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:52 AM   #700
GlennB

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Interesting read on some of the advisers being brought in by Johnson:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ecial-advisers
Looks like she's a Trotskyist 'sleeper'

"Many of Mirza's Revolutionary Communist Party colleagues became influential in Conservative Party Eurosceptic circles after the dissolution of their party, while remaining closely associated with each other's endeavours"

Munira MirzaWP
Old 6th August 2019, 04:52 AM   #701
Tolls
Illuminator

Ex-RCP are all over the place.
Spiked is ex-RCP run (with Koch funding, I believe).
We have the Manifesto Club mentioned already.

Several ex-members signed up for the Brexit Party.

They seem to turn up on the Beeb all the time (look up Ella Whelan).

A very dangerous bunch who seem to finally be getting their way.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #702
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
It'll be good practice for the Great Scottish Wall.
We Scots already have a Wall.

And we made the Romans pay for it.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:49 PM   #703
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Ex-RCP are all over the place.
Spiked is ex-RCP run (with Koch funding, I believe).
We have the Manifesto Club mentioned already.

Several ex-members signed up for the Brexit Party.

They seem to turn up on the Beeb all the time (look up Ella Whelan).

A very dangerous bunch who seem to finally be getting their way.
Looks as though Boris wants to be Charles the First.
Careful, he might get his Cromwell...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:52 PM   #704
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post

Rofl
Old 6th August 2019, 02:53 PM   #705
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Rees-Mogg thinks it important.

He is high up in the government.

However, I note the BBC news can't seem to make up their minds whether to use 'gallons', 'litres' or 'tonnes', mixed in with charts showing the distance of Whaley Bridge* to the town in kilometres. This is annoying.

* re the recent threat of a dam bursting.
Old 6th August 2019, 02:54 PM   #706
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Looks as though Boris wants to be Charles the First.
Careful, he might get his Cromwell...
We could do with good civil war. When was the last time you enjoyed an uprising?
Old 7th August 2019, 02:12 AM   #707
catsmate
No longer the 1

I believe the US still has a stockpile of banned landmines, perhaps the Scots could take an option on them?
Old 7th August 2019, 02:13 AM   #708
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
We could do with good civil war. When was the last time you enjoyed an uprising?
Old 7th August 2019, 12:45 PM   #709
Belgian thought
Master Poster

Trump has Scottish roots. Now I understand
Old 13th August 2019, 12:10 PM   #710
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Has anyone else noticed how crap the weather has been since Boris became PM?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:58 PM   #711
Francesca R
Girl

No, I have been in Norway the last two weeks and it's been stupendous. Apart from yesterday and today.

Everything is too expensive here though and it can't all be explained by the GBP being in the toilet
Old 13th August 2019, 01:02 PM   #712
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I was in Switzerland last week and everything is very expensive there too. Hmm. What do Norway and Switzerland have in common, I wonder.
Old 13th August 2019, 01:08 PM   #713
Francesca R
Girl

Switzerland is a bit cheaper in my experience. Not a lot. Both of them seem to stop you buying a bottle of wine for about 40 hours over a weekend.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #714
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I was in Switzerland last week and everything is very expensive there too. Hmm. What do Norway and Switzerland have in common, I wonder.
What they have in common is that both are more affluent than the UK.

Thus, prices are normal to them. To Brits: expensive.
Old 17th August 2019, 04:26 PM   #715
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

So we have an 'unelected' PM, though he was elected by a huge margin by his party, and that's bad. Now we have proposals for an unelected emergency government with his holiness JC as head and that OK because he's a 'caretaker PM'.

So how long is this caretaker period? Given that Momentum, and his closest confidents are refugees from the SWP. A group so idious that China Melville resigned from it in protest against cover-ups over serious sexual harrassment and even assaults. Scenes very reminisent of the anti-semitism claims in the present party.

For an opposition arguing about constitutional abuses, they don't seem to be afraid to launch their own ones.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 12:49 PM   #716
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
So we have an 'unelected' PM, though he was elected by a huge margin by his party, and that's bad. Now we have proposals for an unelected emergency government with his holiness JC as head and that OK because he's a 'caretaker PM'.

So how long is this caretaker period? Given that Momentum, and his closest confidents are refugees from the SWP. A group so idious that China Melville resigned from it in protest against cover-ups over serious sexual harrassment and even assaults. Scenes very reminisent of the anti-semitism claims in the present party.

For an opposition arguing about constitutional abuses, they don't seem to be afraid to launch their own ones.

Nobody here has claimed anything is OK as far as I can see.

But given that neither option is particularly legitimate I would say thats a sound argument for not pushing through major irrevocable and potentially hugely damaging changes until the situation is resolved
Old 19th August 2019, 01:05 PM   #717
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why is China Mieville's resignation significant? Does he usually not object unless things are really really bad?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:30 PM   #718
toto
Muse

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Nobody here has claimed anything is OK as far as I can see.

But given that neither option is particularly legitimate I would say thats a sound argument for not pushing through major irrevocable and potentially hugely damaging changes until the situation is resolved
I am not happy about either scenario (Johnson or Corbyn being PM), but Boris Johnson was elected entirely correctly according to the Conservative party rules, and it is his right to govern the country as PM if he can muster a majority. And Jeremy Corbyn has an entirely legitimate claim to govern the country if he wins a vote of no confidence and able to command a majority. That much is surely uncontroversial.

Obviously opposing parties can point out the deficiencies in such systems and there may be political dangers in following the letter but perhaps not the spirit of whatever "democracy" is deemed to mean. There are also obviously difficulties in an unwritten constitution in what might be the correct way forward regarding a General Election, a second referendum or the possibility of allowing No Deal to remain the default option before, after or during a general Election.

But the referendum result was legitimate, as was the mechanism to make May the leader of the Conservative Party, and thus PM, ditto Johnson and ditto Corbyn as Labour leader and thus leader of Her Majesty's Loyal opposition.

Personally I support Swinson and the Lib Dems, (so as not to seem to be defending Johnson or Corbyn too much).

I do think it would be terribly irresponsible of Johnson to push through a No Deal before a General Election, especially if he lost a vote of no confidence . The tension between representative democracy and democracy by referenda would be intolerably stretched.

I believe, however, that he will do better in a General Election than might be thought by some, whether or not Brexit has actually taken place.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:21 AM   #719
catsmate
No longer the 1

That's a big pile of straw there, be careful of fire.
Old 20th August 2019, 03:05 PM   #720
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Boris basically telling the Republic of Ireland to go get stuffed with his "no backstop" statement.
God, the man and his cronies are going to start round 3 of "The Troubles" the way they are going.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics