ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Scaramucci , donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 14th August 2019, 08:09 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
No, but he's been dead for about a year.
I don't know what that means.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:12 AM   #42
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't know what that means.
Since August 25th, 2018 to be exact.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:19 AM   #43
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Quote:
Do I think he's being honest? No I do not. Do I think his reasoning makes sense? Again, no.

But his value is not in how he reaches the hardcore Trupistas or the anti-Trumpers. I think his value is in how he reaches the less radical/slightly more rational Trumpers... the type that are currently sitting on the fence thinking "I voted for Trump in 2016 but I'm not sure about voting for him in 2020". If they can see others walking away from Trump, perhaps they too may think they can walk away without shame.
Do you think many of those folk look to Scaramucci as a reliable commentator?
No I do not. Heck, I'd probably go as far as to say there are probably more people who don't even know who he is than actually consider hm a reliable commentator. And there are probably even fewer still who not only consider him a 'reliable commentator' but would also be influenced by him.

But, as the old saying goes, Every vote counts. The last election was decided by just a handful of votes in a few swing states. (Not even a statistically significant number of voters made the difference.) If it causes even a tiny number of voters to re-examine their choices, it will be a good thing.
Quote:
If they didn't revisit their choice after Scaramucci's remarkable 11 day stint, I don't see them doing so now.
If I remember, The Mooch didn't start to seriously criticize Stubby McBonespurs until long after his hiring/firing as press secretary.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:25 AM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Since August 25th, 2018 to be exact.
Oh. In that case, you're wrong. There are other never-Trumpers.

---

I honestly don't get this dogma that there are no anti-Trumpers on the right.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:59 AM   #45
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Oh. In that case, you're wrong. There are other never-Trumpers.

---

I honestly don't get this dogma that there are no anti-Trumpers on the right.
It's a technicality: anti-Trumpers have been ostracized from the right and are now considered to be leftists.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:05 AM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
It's a technicality: anti-Trumpers have been ostracized from the right and are now considered to be leftists.
The ones I've seen all seem to have self-segregated to the left. But they are all vocal pundits, so there's probably some selection bias there. I honestly don't know how many there are still on the right, who are holding their noses and making a virtue of necessity, while they wait for Trump to term out and get replaced by a proper rightist from the right-wing establishment.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:57 PM   #47
Venom
Master Poster

Tea Party golden boy Joe Walsh has a change of heart.

Quote:
Former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), the conservative talk-show host and prominent “tea party” figure, on Wednesday called President Donald Trump an “unfit conman” and a “racial arsonist” and urged a primary challenge for the Republican nomination next year.

Walsh also apologized both for his own heated rhetoric over the years and for helping to elect Trump in 2016.

He apologized for questioning Obama's sincerity about his religion.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 03:44 AM   #48
applecorped
Suspended

When you gleefully count on Republicans to defect it doesn't say too much about your own parties chances
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 04:22 AM   #49
wareyin
Philosopher

Oof. When I saw the thread title, I thought for sure this would be The One Thing That Ends Trump.
When I saw the thread title, I thought this might have been another short but shining moment like the one about Trump being Selfish, Stupid, and Wrong. Sadly, Trump supporter epiphanies don't tend to be lasting.

In a month, will the Mooch be back to reflexively supporting everything Trump does? Or will he last longer than other big Trump supporters?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:04 AM   #50
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Tea Party golden boy Joe Walsh has a change of heart.

Former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), the conservative talk-show host and prominent “tea party” figure, on Wednesday called President Donald Trump an “unfit conman” and a “racial arsonist” and urged a primary challenge for the Republican nomination next year.
While it is nice to see at least a few people on the right acknowledging the faults of Stubby McBonespurs, I think the real test will be: what will Walsh do in the next general election.

He's been calling for Trump to be primaried by a "true conservative". But assuming that that doesn't happen (given Trump's control over the party), what will he see if the choice is between the "unfit conman/racial arsonist" and an actual Democratic nominee.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:16 AM   #51
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
No I do not. Heck, I'd probably go as far as to say there are probably more people who don't even know who he is than actually consider hm a reliable commentator. And there are probably even fewer still who not only consider him a 'reliable commentator' but would also be influenced by him.

But, as the old saying goes, Every vote counts. The last election was decided by just a handful of votes in a few swing states. (Not even a statistically significant number of voters made the difference.) If it causes even a tiny number of voters to re-examine their choices, it will be a good thing.

If I remember, The Mooch didn't start to seriously criticize Stubby McBonespurs until long after his hiring/firing as press secretary.
I sort of know who Scarmucci is. Wasn't he Trump's press secretary for about two minutes?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:20 AM   #52
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Those poor insects will starve to death.
Damn, that's what I was going to say. Great minds think alike, I guess.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:23 AM   #53
HawksFan
Muse

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
When you gleefully count on Republicans to defect it doesn't say too much about your own parties chances
#walkaway
Old 15th August 2019, 08:38 AM   #54
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Quote:
...called President Donald Trump an “unfit conman” and a “racial arsonist”
I don’t know, he seems like a pretty fit conman to me. An unfit president without a doubt, but a fit conman.
Old 15th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #55
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I don’t know, he seems like a pretty fit conman to me. An unfit president without a doubt, but a fit conman.
Trump, fit? Have you seen him in his golf shirt? He gets more exercise lifting hamburgers to his mouth than he does anything else.

Now, you could say he's an able con-man. But even then I'd have reservations. Yes, he managed to scam himself all the way to the presidency, but so much of his success has been built on certain advantages that he's had... born into a wealthy family, protected by Republicans...all that helped him with his particular 'cons'. Not sure if he'd be as successful if he had started out with nothing and had to scam his way to the top.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th August 2019, 09:51 AM   #56
Venom
Master Poster

Not particularly delighted, just amused.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 04:20 AM   #57
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

New interview
Old 18th August 2019, 06:00 AM   #58
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Pure eloquence. You can totally see why he was chosen as communications director (or whatever it was).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:15 AM   #59
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I sort of know who Scarmucci is. Wasn't he Trump's press secretary for about two minutes?
Before that he was the model for the Velociraptor in Jurassic Park.
Old 18th August 2019, 07:08 AM   #60
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How do you figure that?
Old 20th August 2019, 01:42 AM   #61
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1163435469318840320

Quote:
Anthony Scaramucci, a former White House communications director who has recently withdrawn his support for President Trump, says he is putting together a coalition of former Trump Cabinet officials to denounce the President ahead of the 2020 election.
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 20th August 2019, 04:56 AM   #62
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"Unprincipled political mercenaries upset they were discarded once no longer useful"

News footage at 11.

I'll be happy if this clown-show has success in highlighting the dysfunction that is the Trump administration and influences voters, but these shills deserve much worse than they got. It is my sincere hope that none of these people successfully peddle their "redemption" narrative.
Old 20th August 2019, 04:57 AM   #63
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
"Unprincipled political mercenaries upset they were discarded once no longer useful"

News footage at 11.

I'll be happy if this clown-show has success in highlighting the dysfunction that is the Trump administration and influences voters, but these shills deserve much worse than they got. It is my sincere hope that none of these people successfully peddle their "redemption" narrative.
I'd be impressed if John Kelly denounced Trump, but it seems unlikely he'd do so publicly. Which, I suppose, is why I'd be impressed if he did.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #64
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
The right in this country has become a personality cult.
That Trump has betrayed several core classic conservative beleifs is indisputable; but they have been so seduced by the love of political power that they have pretty much become corrupted.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:03 PM   #65
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That Trump has betrayed several core classic conservative beleifs is indisputable; but they have been so seduced by the love of political power that they have pretty much become corrupted.
An alternative explanation is is that Trump has found the true core features of the Republican voter, the things they can all agree on: outlaw abortion andr people with brown skin are bad.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:26 AM   #66
Woolgatherer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about a thirteen year-old girl named Epiphany, in the fallout of the Epstein case.
You must be thinking of Persephone, queen of the underworld?
Woolgatherer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 02:38 PM   #67
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Maybe some. Others, maybe most, are afraid of what liberals want to do, or what they think they want to do. I fall into that camp, though now I'm equally worried about both sides of the aisle. I have no party to side with.

I talk trash about Trump (believe it or not) to my parents and a few friends and that is what I get from them. They don't see or even know about many of the topics discussed here. I get blank stares and silence when they hear me criticize him.

I asked my parents what they thought about Trumps comments on the four female congresswomen - AOC etc - and they didn't know what I was talking about. I don't think my Mom watches or listens to Fox, I don't know where she gets her news.

Most people are way less informed than we realize I think. I don't know many people who have heard of Jussie Smollett. I thought that was weird and it is what started my interest in how much news gets to the average person.

Most people are headline readers. I don't think your average Republican voter is any more evil than your average Democrat. They just aren't that involved.

Most people don't debate on political forums. We are the exception when it comes to knowledge and deep interest in this stuff. Even your least-liked ISF poster is probably more knowledgeable than 98% of the public.
Old 21st August 2019, 05:38 PM   #68
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will die politically by the proverbial death of a thousand cuts. In that case, one must not look too critically at someone eagerly wielding a box cutter.
Old 21st August 2019, 06:08 PM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump will die politically by the proverbial death of a thousand cuts. In that case, one must not look too critically at someone eagerly wielding a box cutter.
I think part of the reason Trump has lasted so long, in spite of all his baggage, is that he isn't a political creature. He can't really be killed politically. It's not like he's a career politician who's hoping to carve out a lasting position in the estblishment. It's not like he's trying to build political capital to push some signature agenda. Simply being President Trump is the agenda.

And on top of all that, a lot of the cuts you imagine he's receiving are already accounted for by the electorate.
Old 21st August 2019, 06:19 PM   #70
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Woolgatherer View Post
You must be thinking of Persephone, queen of the underworld?
I think the abduction and rape myths are more suitable for the Epstein thread.
Old 21st August 2019, 06:33 PM   #71
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think part of the reason Trump has lasted so long, in spite of all his baggage, is that he isn't a political creature. He can't really be killed politically. It's not like he's a career politician who's hoping to carve out a lasting position in the estblishment. It's not like he's trying to build political capital to push some signature agenda. Simply being President Trump is the agenda.

And on top of all that, a lot of the cuts you imagine he's receiving are already accounted for by the electorate.
We don't agree often but we do on this.

Trump understands mostly how to manipulate the press. He knows how to change the story better than any politician in history. Mark Cuban called Trump before he was elected a master of Headline Porn and he was right. The press and the public have been puppets on a string for Trump.

But that doesn't make him good at the job of being President.

The deficit is about to reach a trillion dollars. Trump has engineered a trade war that threatens the economic well being of the world. And he's divided the nation like no peacetime President in history. And at the same time he has put at peril the checks and balances that are the core principles of our democratic republic.

I can almost forgive his self centered narcissism, but I cannot stand for what he has been doing to those principles.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.

Last edited by acbytesla; 21st August 2019 at 07:01 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 06:50 PM   #72
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Maybe some. Others, maybe most, are afraid of what liberals want to do, or what they think they want to do. I fall into that camp, though now I'm equally worried about both sides of the aisle. I have no party to side with.

I talk trash about Trump (believe it or not) to my parents and a few friends and that is what I get from them. They don't see or even know about many of the topics discussed here. I get blank stares and silence when they hear me criticize him.

I asked my parents what they thought about Trumps comments on the four female congresswomen - AOC etc - and they didn't know what I was talking about. I don't think my Mom watches or listens to Fox, I don't know where she gets her news.

Most people are way less informed than we realize I think. I don't know many people who have heard of Jussie Smollett. I thought that was weird and it is what started my interest in how much news gets to the average person.

Most people are headline readers. I don't think your average Republican voter is any more evil than your average Democrat. They just aren't that involved.

Most people don't debate on political forums. We are the exception when it comes to knowledge and deep interest in this stuff. Even your least-liked ISF poster is probably more knowledgeable than 98% of the public.

That's your problem right there: Everything you think liberals want to do was indoctrinated into you by right wing media specifically designed to make you afraid of what you think liberals want to do. I knew this when I read your following post:

I'm picturing the youth of the day jumping up after watching Kennedy on TV and running to the nearest Peace Corp office. I doubt it was actually that wonderful. If it was then people were probably more naive then.

Back then people wanted America to be great and they were proud of their country - maybe naive but at least there was pride. World War II helped with that.

Now, liberals tell us we should be ashamed of our power and wealth, it isn't cool to love America or have a flag on your home. We are only happy because we oppress others. Wealth is bad. Achievement is frowned upon. Patriotism is evil.

According to liberals we should be ashamed. Why would anyone jump up and Make America Great if half the people are telling us that we aren't even good?

One thing that is different - Kennedy wanted our country to be strong, OUR country, but that isn't cool anymore. How can anyone compare Kennedy with today's "ashamed to be an American" Democrats?

Who is our Kennedy of today? I don't see one. Trump didn't do this, it has taken decades of government overreach to disenfranchise the people.

ETA:
Sorry I'm kinda all over the place today. I need food.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:09 AM   #73
Lurch
Muse

It's much more fundamental than not being a political creature. He is seemingly utterly without shame. A person who cannot be shamed is abnormal. Shame is our inner voice telling us when we're wrong. Or at least registering when others tell us we are. If Trump ever feels shame, he does a bloody good job in hiding it. Or ignoring it. Either way, he's a sociopath.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:09 AM   #74
Hungry81
Master Poster

Even your least-liked ISF poster is probably more knowledgeable than 98% of the public.
Ha! My moment in the sun has come at last!!!!!1!@
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:53 AM   #75
TofuFighter
Master Poster

.. Even your least-liked ISF poster is probably more knowledgeable than 98% of the public.
Gah. Now look what you've done. ^^
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics