ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:40 AM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Trevor Noah mentioned that there were others at the scene who had drawn their concealed weapons, but being protected by their bullet proof whiteness, they were not shot. If that is true this is going to cost the taxpayers of the town quite another truckload of money.

When are taxpayers going to insist that cops stop burning money by the truckload? Taxpayer wallets surely matter, even where black lives don't.
Maybe putting down those upitty thugs is worth the expenditure.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 04:37 PM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Yes, your hands.
I said that I'd considered it. I didn't say that I did, or that I would. After considering it, I made the decision not to. This is what we do. We consider things, and we make decisions.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:07 PM   #43
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You seem to have deliberately missed out a few options, such as...

5) Police were genuinely mistaken about his role in the shootings
6) Police were working on information from witnesses, who were mistaken

and in your second list...

6) He was running to get out of the area where shots had been fired, and had drawn his weapon to protect himself if the shooter came after him.
7) He was running towards where the shots were fired to and had drawn his weapon to try and help.
8) The officer was mistaken about what was occurring.
Not deliberately - that post I wrote was just spit-balling after a few beers and I thank you for your input.

Quote:
5) Police were genuinely mistaken about his role in the shootings
6) Police were working on information from witnesses, who were mistaken
I thought of those but thought saying they were mistaken would be stating the obvious and:

Quote:
6) He was running to get out of the area where shots had been fired, and had drawn his weapon to protect himself if the shooter came after him.
7) He was running towards where the shots were fired to and had drawn his weapon to try and help.
8) The officer was mistaken about what was occurring.
The thought hadn't occurred but now I'll consider those viable scenarios as well.

Thanks again.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:12 PM   #44
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I said that I'd considered it. I didn't say that I did, or that I would. After considering it, I made the decision not to. This is what we do. We consider things, and we make decisions.
All true.

Also true is one may change their mind later on and if they do, they'll have some good advice to start off with.

Last edited by AJM8125; 28th November 2018 at 08:20 PM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:28 PM   #45
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

All true.

Also true is one may change their mind later on and if they do, they'll have some good advice to start off with.
Rest assured that if I ever do change my mind, I know where to go for good advice.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:58 PM   #46
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Rest assured that if I ever do change my mind, I know where to go for good advice.
Fair enough.

Hopefully not where you were told it is extremely unlikely for a dropped gun to discharge.
Old 28th November 2018, 09:12 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Fair enough.

Hopefully not where you were told it is extremely unlikely for a dropped gun to discharge.
You're right. It certainly will not be this forum.
Old 29th November 2018, 01:53 PM   #48
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

BBC reports that the real shooter has been arrested after turning himself in. They also say that the dead guy legally owned his gun and could legally carry it but that the mall forbids carrying a gun. I'm not mentioning that as any form of supporting the killing of that guy. I'm just repeating the fact that he wasn't supposed to bring a gun to the mall.
Old 29th November 2018, 02:02 PM   #49
p0lka
Graduate Poster

As a non american, how can you be killed whilst following your 2nd amendment rights?
surely someone should be called to account?
seems very confusing to me.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 02:25 PM   #50
Degeneve
Muse

So to summarize this is the second time in a few weeks that a good guy with a gun who tries to stop a bad guy with a gun is killed by an idiot with a gun...

Maybe the NRA should also explain that if you are black you can never be a good guy with a gun, no matter what you are really doing...
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 02:32 PM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
a good guy with a gun who tries to stop a bad guy with a gun
I'm a newbie to this thread but I thought I read that the dead guy was trying to help victims rather than trying to stop the bad guy.

I also read that the dead guy might not have even brandished a gun at all.
Old 29th November 2018, 02:34 PM   #52
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
As a non american, how can you be killed whilst following your 2nd amendment rights?
surely someone should be called to account?
seems very confusing to me.
I am sure he is being immortalised in the NRA hall of Martyr Saints as we speak.

Another true patriot fulfilling the sacred and holy prophesy "From my cold dead hands." - Saint Heston, Piece be upon him.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 03:07 PM   #53
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Press now saying he was captured and did not turn himself in. Cops got a tip that he was staying with a relative after fleeing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events