ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Maryland incidents , mass shootings , shooting incidents , transgender incidents

Old 20th September 2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Venom
Graduate Poster

Shooting at a Maryland Rite Aid facility; suspect identified

Female shooter is unusual, but she seemed to have pent up aggression or frustration like most murder-suicide suspects.

Quote:
The Maryland shooting suspect described herself on Facebook as a “quiet” person with a “to myself type of personality” — but also proclaimed that her favorite Bible verse was “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.”

Snochia Moseley listed the ancient phrase, known by many as the “law of retaliation,” as one of her favorite quotes.

.......But something changed in Moseley on Thursday, and the young woman allegedly snapped — shooting six co-workers, three of whom died — before turning the gun on herself.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 11:17 PM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

"Snochia"? WTF?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 05:47 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Also posted in this thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...326633&page=17

The shooter is described as female but looks male. More photos here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Maryland.html

The OP article talks about how very few mass killers are female. It cites the other recent female mass shooter at YouTube headquarters. Interestingly, that woman also appeared to be male.

Last edited by William Parcher; 21st September 2018 at 05:50 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 07:35 AM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail is now calling the shooter a transgender.

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Snochia Moseley had multiple outstanding tickets for registration violations and a lack of insurance, and just last week, the courts were asked for permission to take the outstanding fines to trial.

But tickets were not her only problems - friend Toni Coley told the Baltimore Sun Moseley had come out to her family as transgender in December 2016 and wanted to begin hormone therapy.

At present, it is not known if she did commence hormone therapy, or if Moseley, known to friends as 'Sno', used male or female pronouns...

Other friends paid tribute to her on social media, claiming she had been consumed by mental illness and had reached out for help multiple times before shooting at her colleagues...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-monster.html

I'm curious how social scientists deal with something like this when they create gender statistics for mass shootings. Do they check the box for female, or male?
Old 21st September 2018, 07:38 AM   #5
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Guns don't kill people, but they make it a lot easier.
Old 21st September 2018, 08:38 AM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

and nobody want to see a link of transgenderism to mental issues...

oops, I think I'm not supposed to have that opinion, or share it with others. My bad.

Last edited by casebro; 21st September 2018 at 08:39 AM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 09:12 AM   #7
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
"Snochia"? WTF?
Come now. The poor creature is dead.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Whip
Graduate Poster

#metoo
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 09:28 AM   #9
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Daily Mail is now calling the shooter a transgender.

I'm curious how social scientists deal with something like this when they create gender statistics for mass shootings. Do they check the box for female, or male?
I think it is intriguing that female killers of this type tend to have male characteristics as far as aggression and this extreme spite that male killers usually exhibit.

In my non-professional opinion it's relevant. That hypothesis of the underlying male narcissism is intriguing. Responding to perceived slights or threats they snap in a rage and take others down with them.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 09:35 AM   #10
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Yeah but that's like when you're banned from the ISF: fair game.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
Guns don't kill people, but they make it a lot easier.
Guns don't kill people. Bullets do. Guns just make the bullets go very very fast.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Armitage72
Master Poster

It may be worth noting that the Daily Mail appears to be the only source saying that the shooter was transgender, unless you count posted comments in other stories, claiming that the news is covering up her being trans in the name of political correctness.
Of 168 stories on Google News, "transgender" appears in two headlines, both from the Daily Mail.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 10:07 AM   #13
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

oops, I think I'm not supposed to have that opinion, or share it with others. My bad.
People should always feel free to share their terrible opinions. That way, the rest of us can identify those with whom attempts at intelligent discussion would be a waste of time.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 11:23 AM   #14
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It may be worth noting that the Daily Mail appears to be the only source saying that the shooter was transgender, unless you count posted comments in other stories, claiming that the news is covering up her being trans in the name of political correctness.
Of 168 stories on Google News, "transgender" appears in two headlines, both from the Daily Mail.
Sure. I'm certainly not taking that at face value. My (perhaps hasty) judgement is though that these female murder-suicide killers' minds may resemble that of men to be motivated to carry out these acts.
Old 21st September 2018, 11:39 AM   #15
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
People should always feel free to share their terrible opinions. That way, the rest of us can identify those with whom attempts at intelligent discussion would be a waste of time.
Or I guess you could refute my opinion with a study that shows some kind of physical link to most of the alternatively gendered. And you know I don't mean those born with sexual dimorphism.

I rank such mental problems with over achieving, OCD, or mild manic-depresion. Harmless, and I really don't give a hoot. Not any more than my personality is a problem you should care about.

But once people start murdering and suicideing, the link is more important.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 11:42 AM   #16
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody wants to see a link between white cis male and mental issues either, as they perpetrate these kinds of shootings far more...

oops, maybe I'm not supposed to interrupt your uninformed speculation/persecution party.

EDIT: You can't call for people to refute your opinion that you haven't supported on a skeptic's board and not get snickered at.

Last edited by tyr_13; 21st September 2018 at 11:43 AM.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 02:28 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
I came not to praise Snochia, but to bury him. Her. It.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 02:33 PM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
DM talked to the friend Toni Coley and that's where the information comes from. It's possible that other media did not contact friends or that transgenderism was not mentioned if they did. DM also says that other friends posted on social media that Moseley was dealing with mental issues.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:36 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I just checked Google and there are many news stories mentioning Moseley as transgender including ones from yesterday.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:12 PM   #20
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Or I guess you could refute my opinion with a study that shows some kind of physical link to most of the alternatively gendered. And you know I don't mean those born with sexual dimorphism.

I rank such mental problems with over achieving, OCD, or mild manic-depresion. Harmless, and I really don't give a hoot. Not any more than my personality is a problem you should care about.

But once people start murdering and suicideing, the link is more important.
Yes, a single data point makes for a very compelling thesis.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 07:40 PM   #21
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
DM talked to the friend Toni Coley and that's where the information comes from. It's possible that other media did not contact friends or that transgenderism was not mentioned if they did. DM also says that other friends posted on social media that Moseley was dealing with mental issues.
Maybe she was a lesbian? Whether she's "transgender" or not is murky, at best, at this point.
Old 21st September 2018, 08:08 PM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The transgender woman who went on a shooting spree at a Rite Aid distribution center in Maryland had been diagnosed with a mental illness in 2016 and used a legally purchased gun in the deadly rampage...

Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler revealed on Friday that Moseley had been diagnosed with a mental illness in 2016.

He said Moseley had become increasingly agitated in recent weeks, and relatives had been concerned for her well-being.

Moseley used a handgun that she legally purchased in March to fire a total of 13 rounds on Thursday morning, and died after shooting herself twice in the head...

Moseley arrived at about 6:30am for her shift at the Rite Aid distribution center on Thursday, where she had been hired as a temporary employee about two weeks earlier ahead of the holiday season.

As people lined up to come in the building, Gahler said Mosely cut in line and words were exchanged, but it was a 'little incident.'

Less than an hour after she arrived, Moseley left the building for unknown reasons at 7:21am and returned home to get a handgun, pepper spray and handcuffs.

She arrived back at the parking lot around 8:35am and entered the front door around 8:52am.

Gahler said Mosely pulled a hooded shirt over her head and began shooting, striking and killing her victim, Aguda, outside the building.

Inside, where there were about 65 people, she fatally shot Giri and Reyes and also shot the three victims who survived...

When asked how Moseley could legally buy a gun after being diagnosed with a mental illness, officials said it had not been determined that she had a 'propensity for violence to self or others.'...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...warehouse.html
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:08 AM   #23
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I've made that point about posts containing "analysis" of Middle Eastern geopolitics where derogatory terms for any of the parties are used.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 12:25 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Snochia Moseley was diagnosed with acute schizophrenia, according to the Harford County Sheriff's Office. Sharon Forrest said her girlfriend was depressed due to her financial problems and didn't appear to be taking any medication for her mental illness.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-rampage.html
Old 29th November 2018, 02:59 PM   #25
Mr Salk
Thinker

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
#metoo
Pound Me Too? WTF?
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 08:17 PM   #26
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
"Snochia"? WTF?
https://www.amren.com/ar/2003/09/
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 09:35 PM   #27
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think it is intriguing that female killers of this type tend to have male characteristics as far as aggression and this extreme spite that male killers usually exhibit.

In my non-professional opinion it's relevant. That hypothesis of the underlying male narcissism is intriguing. Responding to perceived slights or threats they snap in a rage and take others down with them.
Yes. Males are more agressive, but spot the "Major hyperbolic generalisation alert"
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 29th November 2018 at 09:36 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 09:40 PM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Maybe she was a lesbian? Whether she's "transgender" or not is murky, at best, at this point.
"Authorities and court records identified Moseley as female, as did a Facebook profile in her name. But in Facebook messages Coley shared with The Baltimore Sun, Moseley described herself as transgender, although it was not clear whether Moseley preferred to be addressed using masculine or feminine pronouns.

In messages that the friend said were sent in December 2016, Moseley described identifying as a trans man and discussed beginning hormone treatment soon.

“I just started talking about [being transgender],” Moseley wrote in another message. “My sister is totally supportive, my brothers already had an idea, my mom I haven’t gotten around to admitting it to yet. but she’s heard about it somehow.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...920-story.html
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 09:49 PM   #29
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Yes. Males are more agressive, but spot the "Major hyperbolic generalisation alert"
By they I meant rampage killers.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:01 PM   #30
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

By they I meant rampage killers.
Ahh

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events