ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th November 2018, 06:17 AM   #41
dann
Philosopher

... and nothing ages like happiness.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 06:28 AM   #42
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
As for a person's age, the state of a person's cells are affected by genetics and lifestyle choices. A person who is 60 might, through good genetics and clean living, objectively have the physical characteristics of one who is 40.

I don't disagree, but it's important to remember that for an awful lot of people, work-related stresses impact the deterioration of their bodies much more than any lifestyle choices they make.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 01:23 PM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
You're conflating gender and sex.
I am not.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 03:40 PM   #44
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

I blame Einstein.
Old 11th November 2018, 11:06 PM   #45
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for transgender people. It must be brutal to feel like you are in the wrong body. But there is no logical end to how far this can be taken.
That transgender people feel like they're in the wrong body is often not correct. Transgender people I know strongly feel that they have the right body - that body is theirs and they love it - but that they were assigned the wrong gender from childhood.

A girl is born. Doctor says "That's a boy!" Girl is told that she is a boy all her life, until she realises that it's okay for her to be a girl. Relief all around.
Old 12th November 2018, 01:13 AM   #46
Hevneren
Thinker

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Transgender people I know strongly feel that they have the right body - that body is theirs and they love it
Why, then, do many transgender people cut of their dick and balls?
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:31 AM   #47
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Why, then, do many transgender people cut of their dick and balls?
Because they choose to. Why do you care about it?
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:58 AM   #48
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Knob.

"Mr Ratelband, a media personality and motivational guru, converted to Buddhism earlier this year and is a trainer in neurolinguistic programming."

I rest my case.
Dutchie here... He is a knob, a professional knob at that, and has been for decades.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 03:16 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
A girl is born. Doctor says "That's a boy!"
And I get told I'm confusing sex and gender.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 11:39 AM   #50
Hevneren
Thinker

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Because they choose to. Why do you care about it?
Of course they do it because they choose to. That was a silly answer. I just find it unlikely that someone who loves their body would voluntarily remove central parts of it surgically. But maybe arthwollipot's transgender friends haven't done that.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 12:24 PM   #51
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A Dutch pensioner has started a legal battle to legally change his age and boost his dating prospects.

Emile Ratelband, 69, wants to shift his birthday from 11 March 1949 to 11 March 1969, comparing the change to identifying as being transgender.

"You can change your name. You can change your gender. Why not your age?" he told Dutch paper De Telegraaf.

A local court in the city of Arnhem, south-east of Amsterdam, is expected to rule on the case within four weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46133262
The guy is an attention-seeking narcissist. Why is he being given any news space at all.
Old 12th November 2018, 02:55 PM   #52
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I want to identify as a few years older so I collect Social Security without having to pay any back.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 05:59 PM   #53
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Of course they do it because they choose to. That was a silly answer. I just find it unlikely that someone who loves their body would voluntarily remove central parts of it surgically. But maybe arthwollipot's transgender friends haven't done that.
If you look into it for even a moment, you'll find out that most don't.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:09 AM   #54
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

The court has spoken, and it basically said "gtfo".

Quote:
Dutchie here... He is a knob, a professional knob at that, and has been for decades.
He seems to be suffering from the same kind of personality disorder as Trump does. He was just a bit less successful when he tried his luck in politics.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events