ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:18 AM   #81
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
OTOH, refusing a FST may well lead the cop to conclude you are drunk and arrest you. Though you may well ultimately be acquitted, being arrested and having to fight a drunk driving charge will still suck, and likely cost you a lot of money in attorney fees. IMO, it's pretty much a coin flip as to whether you should go through a FST or refuse it.
It has been a long time since I have looked into this, and even then I was only concerned with a couple of states, but generally speaking, refusing a FST can not be used by the cop as a grounds for arrest, but a failed FST can be.

They present the option to you in the opposite light: I'm going to have to arrest you unless you pass a FST. But the reality is: I don't have enough to arrest you yet, but if you take a FST I might.

Because let's face it, if they already had enough evidence to arrest you why would they waste their time with a FST?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:04 PM   #82
Ranb
Philosopher

In Washington State a person cannot refuse the breath test. It can be held against them in court and mere refusal also results in a suspension of the driver's license.
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.308

Quote:
The officer shall warn the driver, in substantially the following language, that:
(a) If the driver refuses to take the test, the driver's license, permit, or privilege to drive will be revoked or denied for at least one year; and
(b) If the driver refuses to take the test, the driver's refusal to take the test may be used in a criminal trial; and
I didn't see anything about a field sobriety test that involved something other than a breath test.

I did see an article about a man who refused to "walk the line". https://www.king5.com/article/news/l.../281-246081775

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 01:14 PM   #83
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
In Washington State a person cannot refuse the breath test. It can be held against them in court and mere refusal also results in a suspension of the driver's license.
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.308

I didn't see anything about a field sobriety test that involved something other than a breath test.

I did see an article about a man who refused to "walk the line". https://www.king5.com/article/news/l.../281-246081775

Ranb
I suppose just saying Field Sobriety Test is a bit vague, in the sense that breath analysis is a test that is conducted in the field. But generally speaking, FST refers to the specific tests listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_..._Tests_(SFSTs). They are performance based and predate breathalyzer by many years.

I would take the absence of them being listed the local laws as a good sign.
Old 4th December 2018, 01:31 AM   #84
Tolls
Illuminator

Always reminds me of the scene in The Man With Two Brains, where Steve Martin has to do a rather extreme one.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 06:45 AM   #85
Ranb
Philosopher

Walking heel to toe or balancing on my left leg will be extreme for me as I have a fused ankle. I've yet to be accused of a DUI when pulled over though.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:38 AM   #86
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Walking heel to toe or balancing on my left leg will be extreme for me as I have a fused ankle. I've yet to be accused of a DUI when pulled over though.
I have when I had an accident. At 11:00 AM, no less. And I couldn't do the test well enough (for the cop) because of previous injuries, in addition to just having been blasted in the face by an airbag. I lost a lot of respect for the police that day.
Old 6th December 2018, 11:39 PM   #87
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Sounds like they need to get a new field testing kit from a new company. If the one they have is giving false positives, then they are going to be looking at a lot of cases going down the toilet, even genuine ones.
and hopefully very big easily winnable lawsuits!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events