ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Simplicity of male contraceptive gel enrages women

"A large clinical trial launched this week will test a new, gel-based form of male birth control, Gizmodo reported Friday. If it proves safe and effective, the gel could finally expand the very short list of contraceptive options that can be utilized by men.

The gel, applied to the back and shoulders once daily, contains a combination of a progestin compound and testosterone that is absorbed through the skin.

The progestin reduces sperm production to "low or nonexistent levels," the NIH statement said, while the testosterone will work to maintain normal sex drive and other functions that require the hormone. The researchers plan to enroll 420 couples in the trial, the statement added.

Though the gel still remains to be studied in large groups of men, many women expressed frustration, saying that a gel applied to the skin seems far more convenient than some of the birth control options currently available to women. The pill, for example, can have side effects like nausea, headaches, and breast tenderness, and IUDs require an insertion procedure that many women find painful.

"Male birth control is going to be rubbing a gel on your shoulders?!" Twitter user @ercharles15 wrote. "Nah y'all can swallow a pill every night, get injections & implants like the rest of us."

[source]

Now, although I didn't choose biology as an O-level option, I presume this is because it is simply easier to disrupt male fertility than female fertility.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:53 PM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

**** 'em!

(After application of gel to avoid surprises)
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
**** 'em!

(After application of gel to avoid surprises)
"Don't worry, love, I'm on the gel!"
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:41 PM   #4
carlvs
Critical Thinker

The OP title is somewhat inaccurate, as the title of the article clearly states SOME were enraged. If one reads the piece, it also states that other women were pleased about the news (mainly because it may ease up the burden of they being the ones responsible for birth control.)

And let's be honest - even though the methods women have to practice birth control tend to be annoying, inconvenient, invasive, or have side effects, at least they had them. Men basically only had two options - condoms (which still have a small rate of failure,) or a vasectomy (ouch) ...
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:45 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe one of those enraged feminists can show us what's what by developing a more convenient contraceptive for women. Because I'm sure the only thing preventing that is the Patriarchy, right?

---

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Patriarchy would love it if female contraceptives were more convenient.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 01:59 PM   #6
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
The OP title is somewhat inaccurate, as the title of the article clearly states SOME were enraged. If one reads the piece, it also states that other women were pleased about the news (mainly because it may ease up the burden of they being the ones responsible for birth control.)

And let's be honest - even though the methods women have to practice birth control tend to be annoying, inconvenient, invasive, or have side effects, at least they had them. Men basically only had two options - condoms (which still have a small rate of failure,) or a vasectomy (ouch) ...
Three options, you forgot the ever popular abstinence.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:01 PM   #7
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
"Male birth control is going to be rubbing a gel on your shoulders?!" Twitter user @ercharles15 wrote. "Nah y'all can swallow a pill every night, get injections & implants like the rest of us."
Sounds like she'd prefer the chip on her shoulder to the gel on her man's.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:10 PM   #8
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe one of those enraged feminists can show us what's what by developing a more convenient contraceptive for women. Because I'm sure the only thing preventing that is the Patriarchy, right?

---

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Patriarchy would love it if female contraceptives were more convenient.
I am pretty sure the "Patriarchy" prefers women to be barefoot and pregnant.

That said, I am glad they are working on another contraceptive for men, if it is easy to use as this, men might actually use it. Face it the burden of the contraceptive is on the women more and always will be because the cost of failed contraception is far greater to women than men.
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Scootch
Muse

Yes but how does it taste?
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 02:45 PM   #10
epeeist
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

---

It may depend upon where people are from, but I'm a man, I'm not a health care provider or anything, and I still know there are things about how the pill works or can work, for instance, that may not be communicated to women by their physicians.

For instance, is it widely known that a week of the birth control pills in each package are placebos, to ensure that women still menstruate? Some women avoid these and start the next package to avoid menstruating, either generally, or to reduce it (and I think at least one birth control option has been marketed as having a period only every 3 months, but of course not saying, you can do that already if you want). [EDIT: yes, if you go on the Internet there are more options and explanations, but I've had discussions with intelligent adult women who were unaware of some of them or about the placebo week]

Now, there are reasons to question whether or not there may be risks posed by this practice, but shouldn't the option be communicated to women and left to them to decide?

Or how about, why do birth control pills require a prescription? How many fights over insurance funding etc. might be avoided if they were simply sold over-the-counter and didn't require a prescription? There are people who think drinking alcohol is religiously wrong but we don't require prescriptions for it, why not the same for birth control pills, like condoms?

Last edited by epeeist; 6th December 2018 at 02:47 PM.
epeeist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 03:25 PM   #11
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The last place I'd expect the gel to have to be applied is one's back.
Old 6th December 2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I would think a pill would be easier. With a gel I would be worried about it not absorbing enough, being removed by clothing, or transferring it to others via contact (there was an episode of House with a similar plot).
Old 6th December 2018, 03:33 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Hormones are active at such small doses that it can get transferred from skin to skin. The testosterone just may cause the women to get hair on their palms.

But I would finds one more pill per day to be more convenient- Doesn't the guy need a woman around already to get the stuff rubbed on his back ? Or they only want to sell it to couples that are already committed- social attitude statement?

Ninja'd by TB. Too many typis for me ever to win a race.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 03:33 PM   #14
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Well, people say it's popular...
Old 6th December 2018, 04:18 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The last place I'd expect the gel to have to be applied is one's back.
Large surface area for absorption. You're altering the general body chemistry, not injecting directly into a specific organ.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 04:19 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I would think a pill would be easier. With a gel I would be worried about it not absorbing enough, being removed by clothing, or transferring it to others via contact (there was an episode of House with a similar plot).
It's probably something that doesn't metabolize properly in the stomach. A friend of mine had to take an MS medication by subcutaneous injection, because the formula wouldn't work if it went in through the digestive tract. Later they were able to switch to an anti-inflammatory in pill form. Most recently, they're on third medication that is administered intravenously via IV drip. One hour session at the clinic, every month.

I'm sure all three of those drugs would be in convenient pill form, if it were possible to do so.

Last edited by theprestige; 6th December 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 6th December 2018, 04:36 PM   #17
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

So what if you can't reach your back? Surely it would work just as well if you smear it over your front?
Old 6th December 2018, 04:40 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
So what if you can't reach your back? Surely it would work just as well if you smear it over your front?
That would probably kill you.
Old 6th December 2018, 04:41 PM   #19
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Why are we talking about a twitter round-up from a clickbait aggregator? I can feel myself getting stupider.

A better headline would be "Woman Develops Simple Male Contraceptive".
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 04:48 PM   #20
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
That would of course have the opposite effect, making you super fertile.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:28 PM   #21
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
This is going to give a whole new meaning to "going bareback."

Although remarkably similar to the same old meaning.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:42 PM   #22
Fizil
Muse

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Why are we talking about a twitter round-up from a clickbait aggregator? I can feel myself getting stupider.

A better headline would be "Woman Develops Simple Male Contraceptive".
I have really grown to hate Twitter. I have never used Twitter mind you, but "news" organizations constantly using it to tell us what people think about such-and-such drives me up the wall. Even if Twitter provided a useful sampling of opinions in the overall population, we aren't being presented with statistical analysis of sentiment across the platform, just the opinions of some randos.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 07:47 PM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Male contraceptive gel that enrages women? Makes sense: if the women are sufficiently angry they will not have relations with the men, thereby avoiding pregnancy.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:48 PM   #24
pharphis
Graduate Poster

I don't know how anyone thinks this is more convenient than a pill..

But also, who cares? More options = less burden, if one views their taking BC as such a burden. I don't see how anyone could possibly care that someone now has options they didn't have before.

Also an IUD sounds like less of a burden than either the pill or a gel. You can stick one of those up there for like 5 years at a time. Yes the week you get the procedure done might be uncomfortable (or bloody or cramping) but that's one week of issues at most.

Also if it is messing with your testosterone I wouldn't really say it lacks side-effects
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:48 PM   #25
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Ok well just add this to the infinite list of things that make women angry and move on.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 08:51 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sounds horrible to me, what a hassle. I don't see that many women would think that was better than taking a pill.

I suspect angry women is a marketing gimmick, gets the product free ad time disguised as news.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th December 2018 at 08:54 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:04 PM   #27
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Also an IUD sounds like less of a burden than either the pill or a gel. You can stick one of those up there for like 5 years at a time. Yes the week you get the procedure done might be uncomfortable (or bloody or cramping) but that's one week of issues at most.

Also if it is messing with your testosterone I wouldn't really say it lacks side-effects
Might want to look into side effects of IUD. Personal horror stories from women I know tend to put me off the idea of lowered burden. Unless that gel has side effects like infertility or death, I'd say the burden is less.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 09:17 PM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Seems an odd thing to get angry over
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:37 PM   #29
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Might want to look into side effects of IUD. Personal horror stories from women I know tend to put me off the idea of lowered burden. Unless that gel has side effects like infertility or death, I'd say the burden is less.
Oh there's certainly a risk of much worse things, though I don't know how common they are. My GF had bleeding and cramps for a bit

Last edited by pharphis; 6th December 2018 at 11:41 PM.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 12:11 AM   #30
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It probably will have significant side effects which would make its use impractical. This will be revealed by the study.
Old 7th December 2018, 12:38 AM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Seems an odd thing to get angry over
That's why I think it's fake.

I tried an IUD when I was younger. I was in the doctor's getting it removed the next day, it hurt that much.
Old 7th December 2018, 02:39 AM   #32
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
I have really grown to hate Twitter. I have never used Twitter mind you, but "news" organizations constantly using it to tell us what people think about such-and-such drives me up the wall. Even if Twitter provided a useful sampling of opinions in the overall population, we aren't being presented with statistical analysis of sentiment across the platform, just the opinions of some randos.

Hear, Hear!
Old 7th December 2018, 02:40 AM   #33
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Ok well just add this to the infinite list of things that make women angry and move on.
To the bottom of the list? Cos that's going to be tricky...
Old 7th December 2018, 02:49 AM   #34
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
Indeed

One anonymous nutter does a tweet and it is portrayed as "peoples" opinion.

Don't know about anyone else but the most annoying thing with web articles is they quote the "tweet" in the story itself and then for some reason have to have a screen shot of the same thing a paragraph later, you have to scroll through
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 04:39 AM   #35
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's why I think it's fake.

I tried an IUD when I was younger. I was in the doctor's getting it removed the next day, it hurt that much.
A lot of "people are angry over x" stories are comprised of people taking Twitter jokes out of context. Hell, Fox news is still talking about some jokes about Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, and they started on november 28th (Warning: link contains video of Tucker Carlson talking to Dave Rubin).
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 04:42 AM   #36
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Male contraceptives are taking so long because nobody wants to be on the hook for making the next thalidomide. And as an aside were the contraceptive pill developed today it would not get approved (hell it would have been rejected if it were delayed a year or two)
Old 7th December 2018, 05:29 AM   #37
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Wins thread. << first time I ever typed those words. The pinnacle of my bucket list now attained.
Old 7th December 2018, 06:57 AM   #38
Whip
Graduate Poster

Quote:
"Nah y'all can swallow a pill every night, get injections & implants like the rest of us."
but that's what the original feminists fought for......women having control over their own bodies.
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:09 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Though the gel still remains to be studied in large groups of men, many women expressed frustration, saying that a gel applied to the skin seems far more convenient than some of the birth control options currently available to women.
Maybe these specific people should stop being angry at biology.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2018, 07:09 AM   #40
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I knew I had forgotten something ...
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events