ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chicago incidents , Chicago issues , crime statistics , racial issues

Old 1st June 2018, 08:29 AM   #1
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The other crime wave in Chicago

Much has been said about the murder rate in Chicago, which ordinarily picks up in the Summer. The phrase is: "Sun's out, Guns Out."

The other summer crime wave in Chicago gets much less press. That other wave is groups of teens, primarily black, using social media to organize roving gangs who create chaos and randomly attack tourists, each other and commit crimes.

They typically commute up the the downtown area on the red line, causing havoc throughout the system

Here is a story from the Tribune, which includes a fairly graphic video of a beating: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...529-story.html

Last night groups were pushing people into Lake Michigan.

Here is a pretty good update on the latest crime sprees.

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2018/06/st...offenders.html

As such, if you are visiting Chicago this summer, keep your head on a swivel.
Old 1st June 2018, 10:22 AM   #2
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like time to check phone records, go for felony Incitement. Or do they have to wait for somebody to die,and prosecute them all for murder ?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:16 PM   #3
mgidm86
Illuminator

So these teens aren't just starting massive brawls in shopping malls anymore?

"Teens"? How do they know they are all teens? Not one of them was over 19? Seems like an odd way to describe large groups of people.

Can we just be honest? I'll start. These are large groups of black people, that is the most obvious way to describe them. But we can only call them blacks if they are:

Thrown out of Starbucks
Asked not to BBQ in a park
Being treated badly by anyone

But here we simply get "teens".
In all the shopping mall fight stories - teens.
Beatings on subway platforms - teens.

And this is about the media and how they choose to report, not me, not anyone here. This is what I see them doing. This doesn't help anyone.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm sick of the dishonesty and the clever P.C. words. I don't want to single out black people - they are being singled out by the media not me, and "protecting them" or whatever the hell it is by calling them teens is making it worse.

Reporting on every perceived slight, like the Starbucks thing is just continuing to single them out - hey everyone, remember how different black people are? Here's a reminder, WHITE PEOPLE!

There is a narrative right now that there is a rising racist trend in this country. We need to get past this manipulative bullcrap but not enough people seem to see it for what it is.

Last edited by mgidm86; 1st June 2018 at 12:18 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 04:00 PM   #4
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Much has been said about the murder rate in Chicago, which ordinarily picks up in the Summer. The phrase is: "Sun's out, Guns Out."

The other summer crime wave in Chicago gets much less press. That other wave is groups of teens, primarily black, using social media to organize roving gangs who create chaos and randomly attack tourists, each other and commit crimes.

They typically commute up the the downtown area on the red line, causing havoc throughout the system

Here is a story from the Tribune, which includes a fairly graphic video of a beating: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...529-story.html

Last night groups were pushing people into Lake Michigan.

Here is a pretty good update on the latest crime sprees.

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2018/06/st...offenders.html

As such, if you are visiting Chicago this summer, keep your head on a swivel.
If White people weren't so racist, this wouldn't happen.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 04:35 PM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If White people weren't so racist, this wouldn't happen.
Especially like the video in the OP, Black on Black crime, is because of the neo Nazis.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Given that >80% of teens in Chicago are non-white, and this kind of thing happens in every major city, I'm not sure why the racial aspect is significant.

I'm totally befuddled as to what the motivations of the posters in this thread are.

Old 1st June 2018, 04:49 PM   #7
Cain
Straussian

Chicago teens are what you get when you cross the Muslim Brotherhood with Planet of the Apes.
Old 1st June 2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Scootch
Muse

That is it Cain, your show is cancelled with a capital cancel!
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 05:27 PM   #9
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Given that >80% of teens in Chicago are non-white, and this kind of thing happens in every major city, I'm not sure why the racial aspect is significant.

I'm totally befuddled as to what the motivations of the posters in this thread are.

Let me get this straight, in every major city hundreds of teens organize themselves on social media and flood into the central business district where they pour into stores and commit violence and property damage so extreme that the police have to assert control over the public transportation system and run express trains out of the area rather than arresting them?

Holy ****, I had no idea. Do you have links, or is one’s motivation coloring your claim?
Old 1st June 2018, 08:49 PM   #10
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Let me get this straight, in every major city hundreds of teens organize themselves on social media and flood into the central business district where they pour into stores and commit violence and property damage so extreme that the police have to assert control over the public transportation system and run express trains out of the area rather than arresting them?

Holy ****, I had no idea. Do you have links, or is one’s motivation coloring your claim?
You seriously haven't heard about flash mobs? This kind of thing has gone on for years. Here they are in Maryland in 2012. Here in Houston in 2011. Here in Brazil. Here in Las Vegas in 2011.

I enjoyed your dramatic reading of the event, but you forgot to bring up race again.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:57 PM   #11
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You seriously haven't heard about flash mobs? This kind of thing has gone on for years. Here they are in Maryland in 2012. Here in Houston in 2011. Here in Brazil. Here in Las Vegas in 2011.

I enjoyed your dramatic reading of the event, but you forgot to bring up race again.
I cited three in the last month, they have indeed been going on for years in Chicago though, I do agree with that.

Next time I won’t bring their race

Last edited by The Big Dog; 1st June 2018 at 09:02 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:31 AM   #12
dann
Philosopher

I grew up in a country with no blacks, no brown-skinned people at all. The most exotic ethnicity we had were a couple of Greenlanders now and then, but no youngsters. Did we have crime in Denmark? Yes, of course we did! Did we have "groups of teens" in "roving gangs who create chaos"? Yes, of course we did. They were all ethnic Danes, however, and usually members of the disenfranchised classes.
In the late 1960s, the immigrants started coming to Denmark, many from Turkey. And nowadays we have similar "groups of teens" in "roving gangs who create chaos." The major difference is that it's immediately obvious that the majority of them are children of immigrants. So now we no longer have a problem with "groups of teens," now they are groups of second or third-generation immigrants.

Sometimes "groups of teens" even exhibit the audacity to disturb the Danish minister of (un)employment* when she'd prefer to watch a movie. But, of course, they are not "groups of teens." They are "indvandrerdrenge," 'immigrant boys'. And, of course, when I was their age, we would never ever misbehave in a movie theater! It never happened! I swear!!!
I guess that it's just a coincidence that these "groups of teens" consist of youngsters who are just as underprivileged as the gangs of ethnic Danes back in the 1950s and 1960s.

The problem is class, the problem is poverty, but I don't think that anybody is surprised that TBD thinks it's a question of race.

* A few months later, she was appointed minister of integration!!!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 2nd June 2018 at 01:33 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:03 AM   #13
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I enjoy the comparison between acting rowdy in a movie theatre and attacking people and pushing them in Lake Michigan.

It is fine, we need not point out that they are black any longer (that was why the press sat on the stories in 2011 when the disadvantaged teens (so much more PC) tore apart North Avenue Beach)

We will use the phrase “disadavanteged youths.” As in “a group of disadvantaged youths stomped the **** out of a guy and threw him Lake Michigan.”

Heavily armed Disadvantaged youths commit strong arms robberies. http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/20...-problems.html

Last edited by The Big Dog; 2nd June 2018 at 07:13 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:30 AM   #14
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

but we can't use "thugs".
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:03 AM   #15
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Disadvantaged youths taunt victims and again shove them into the Lake.

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:33 AM   #16
dann
Philosopher

Here, an unfortunate 19-year-old died last night when he was pushed into a lake. His friends didn't know that he couldn't swim and they tried to rescue him, but in vain.
No ethnicity mentioned. Do we need to know? This spring has been hotter than the whole summer last year, and people get a little silly. At my former high school it used to be a tradition to throw people into the local lake when they graduated.
A tragedy, in this case, but does the story really need a moral other than: Be careful guys! Make sure that you don't push anybody into the lake who can't swim!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:52 AM   #17
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Here, an unfortunate 19-year-old died last night when he was pushed into a lake. His friends didn't know that he couldn't swim and they tried to rescue him, but in vain.
No ethnicity mentioned. Do we need to know? This spring has been hotter than the whole summer last year, and people get a little silly. At my former high school it used to be a tradition to throw people into the local lake when they graduated.
A tragedy, in this case, but does the story really need a moral other than: Be careful guys! Make sure that you don't push anybody into the lake who can't swim!
His friends pushed him into the lake? I can assure you that the disadavantaged youths pushing people walking along the lakes were not friends with and did not know the people they were attacking. Disadvantaged youths, be careful and ask if the complete strangers you are attacking and throwing in the lake can swim!
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:06 AM   #18
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Sure we can! I suspect even the Mighty Obama would say the same thing about this occurrence in his hometown.

This sort of incident also happens a lot in my own hometown of Milwaukee, WI. It is almost always black youths even though many disadvantaged white youths live in the same areas. I think these incidents and other examples of poor behavior by this particular demographic are fueled, not helped or mitigated, by the subtextual race narrative being beamed nationwide by the mainstream media and so called "progressive groups". The theme is that of low expectations and the viewing of such misbehaviors as a result of "systematic racism" or the legacy of slavery. On this view, the ones responsible, and the only ones with any moral agency are the racist white oppressors. This is basically one aspect of the Ta-Nahesi Coates view of race.
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:16 PM   #19
dann
Philosopher

His friends pushed him into the lake? I can assure you that the disadavantaged youths pushing people walking along the lakes were not friends with and did not know the people they were attacking. Disadvantaged youths, be careful and ask if the complete strangers you are attacking and throwing in the lake can swim!

Do you know how deep the water is in the lakes we're talking about? In Copenhagen the lakes don't appear to be very deep near the shore. I've seen people fall as well as being pushed into the lakes and apparently able to stand on the bottom with their heads above the water.
That obviously wasn't the case in the lake where the 19-year-old drowned. (By the way, it's very unusual that a 19-year-old Dane can't swim.)
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:23 PM   #20
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
On this view, the ones responsible, and the only ones with any moral agency are the racist white oppressors. This is basically one aspect of the Ta-Nahesi Coates view of race.

Have you actually read any of his stuff?! Between the World and Me, for instance? I have, and I didn't find anything remotely similar to what you're describing.
Old 2nd June 2018, 02:36 PM   #21
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Do you know how deep the water is in the lakes we're talking about? In Copenhagen the lakes don't appear to be very deep near the shore. I've seen people fall as well as being pushed into the lakes and apparently able to stand on the bottom with their heads above the water.
That obviously wasn't the case in the lake where the 19-year-old drowned. (By the way, it's very unusual that a 19-year-old Dane can't swim.)
While we enjoy hearing about tales out of Denmark, I note that there were twice as many murders in Chicago in July of 2017 as there were in Denmark in 2017.

So maybe a bit of a difference between of wilding groups of disadvantaged youths from street gangs in Chicago and hijinks in Copenhagen.
Old 2nd June 2018, 02:38 PM   #22
CaptainHowdy
Muse

These kinds of "flash mob" events don't happen in every city. They happen in cities that happen to be populated with large numbers of black people who happen to participate in these rampages.

But it's not racial. And White people deserve it anyway.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 02:52 PM   #23
NoahFence
Banned

Holy ******

No Hildebeast or Thirsty?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 03:07 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I have it on good authority that conservatives NEVER mention race....
Old 2nd June 2018, 04:22 PM   #25
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Have you actually read any of his stuff?! Between the World and Me, for instance? I have, and I didn't find anything remotely similar to what you're describing.
Yes, I've read three of his book. Specifically where do you think I've mischaracterized his views?

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I have it on good authority that conservatives NEVER mention race....
Cite, please.
Old 2nd June 2018, 05:33 PM   #26
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'm seeing more correlation with gender and age than I am with race. The assailants were not all black but they were all male, as far as I can tell. They were also all young.

Not saying girls/young women are incapable of this kind of behavior but it seems to be much more common among young men. As far as "teens." That is a strange term, somewhat along the lines of "youths." It's a kind of media shorthand for ... "we don't know their ages but they aren't children." The long version is "assailants who appeared to be in their late teens or early 20s." Not boys but not quite men either. It's an aggressive age, especially in males.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 06:29 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Cite, please.
Ok, here you go.
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:48 PM   #28
dann
Philosopher

Yes, I've read three of his book. Specifically where do you think I've mischaracterized his views?

Here:

On this view, the ones responsible, and the only ones with any moral agency are the racist white oppressors. This is basically one aspect of the Ta-Nahesi Coates view of race.

If you've actually "read three of his book" (words? lines? pages?), it shouldn't be too hard for you to present us with some good quotations.

Last edited by dann; 2nd June 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:54 PM   #29
dann
Philosopher

While we enjoy hearing about tales out of Denmark, I note that there were twice as many murders in Chicago in July of 2017 as there were in Denmark in 2017.

So maybe a bit of a difference between of wilding groups of disadvantaged youths from street gangs in Chicago and hijinks in Copenhagen.

Yes, there's a very big difference!

And you forgot my question: "Do you know how deep the water is in the lakes we're talking about?" (I'm not asking about the depth as such, but the depth near the shore where people were pushed into the lake.)

Last edited by dann; 2nd June 2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:56 PM   #30
Mumbles
Philosopher

(sees title and OP, peeks in assuming bad intentions)

(reads thread, nods head at same century-old racist crap)

Yep.

And hey, look, it's a remarkably uncharitable misreading of TNC! That's new for this forum in particular. I mean, it's old hat among commentators and the like, but I haven't seen it here before.

It's worth noting that much of TNC's work stresses the moral obligations of black people in particular - his first book focuses almost entirely on this, as does his writing on Kanye West's recent ignorant embrace of the president (how did West do this, while never having even heard of the muslim ban?). Also, his main objection to people who tell him to "stop writing about race" is that many people who say this (Thomas Sowell being a prominent example) spend a lot of time also writing about race, and what they really want is for him to abandon the community that made him what he is today - which he regards as a demand that he himself be wildly unethical.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm seeing more correlation with gender and age than I am with race. The assailants were not all black but they were all male, as far as I can tell. They were also all young.

Not saying girls/young women are incapable of this kind of behavior but it seems to be much more common among young men. As far as "teens." That is a strange term, somewhat along the lines of "youths." It's a kind of media shorthand for ... "we don't know their ages but they aren't children." The long version is "assailants who appeared to be in their late teens or early 20s." Not boys but not quite men either. It's an aggressive age, especially in males.
Teen males, in groups, with little else to do, often do cause trouble. Fun fact, quite a bit of backlash in the 70s to "cruising" is attributable to this as well.

I'll wait to see if this is any different than any other "My goodness, the negro youth are riled up again!". Such as "Wilding", "the Knockout Game", "Stop Snitching" (both due to the obvious witness intimidation, and the intentional blindness to the blue wall of silence), Trayvon Martin's supposed thugishness, the "rioters and looters" that people think "destroyed" Ferguson and Baltimore (they're both still around, and both were caused by mass police violence and intimidation).

Until there are actual, reliable numbers, I assume the same "black brute" stereotype is in play.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:07 PM   #31
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post

These kinds of "flash mob" events don't happen in every city. They happen in cities that happen to be populated with large numbers of black people who happen to participate in these rampages.

But it's not racial. And White people deserve it anyway.

When you're right, you're right! These kinds of flash mobs actually don't appear to happen in my city. I searched in vain for flash mob+copenhagen+train but only came up with this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I spotted only two black persons, not particularly young, and I assume that they must have been very disappointed that there was no lake or organized crime nearby! They could at least have tried to push somebody in front of a train! (It can't possibly have anything to do with this: Income Inequality in Denmark (Wikipedia). Unfortunately, the trend is going the wrong way so it's probably just a question of time before we see crime flash mobs here as well.)

ETA: If you have the time, CaptainHowdy, would you please answer my questions?!

Last edited by dann; 2nd June 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:35 PM   #32
rdwight
Critical Thinker

This is another one of those situations where i feel like people need to realize that numbers matter. 100-200 teen-ish(?) age people appearing borderline criminal? Are you honestly serious? To get an idea, Chicago probably has around 500k people between 15-24. Am i to really get nervous about the actions of a couple hundred? Should I make generalizations? Maybe we are being too soft on the other 99.9% etc that aren't behaving in such matter that we have to group them in and complain about xyz.

****, I could have 100 people at my house for a party with a couple hours notice when i was a teenager. Getting half the numbers complained about for a brawl wasn't really an issue, and sure as **** didn't make news. It is all just funny to me.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:32 PM   #33
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
****, I could have 100 people at my house for a party with a couple hours notice when i was a teenager. Getting half the numbers complained about for a brawl wasn't really an issue, and sure as **** didn't make news. It is all just funny to me.
Aah, the good old days ...

Last edited by Minoosh; 2nd June 2018 at 11:57 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 07:43 AM   #34
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

This is another one of those situations where i feel like people need to realize that numbers matter. 100-200 teen-ish(?) age people appearing borderline criminal? Are you honestly serious? To get an idea, Chicago probably has around 500k people between 15-24. Am i to really get nervous about the actions of a couple hundred? Should I make generalizations? Maybe we are being too soft on the other 99.9% etc that aren't behaving in such matter that we have to group them in and complain about xyz.

Really, you could get 100 gang bangers to swarm the tourist area of your city, overwhelm the police resulting in the take over of your public transportation system in a couple of hours? Holy cow!

Old 3rd June 2018, 08:19 AM   #35
Mumbles
Philosopher

A post not intended for the person being quoted

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Anyone can use it all they want. I'm just letting y'all know that some code words are rather obvious. What people can't do is use it to mean "black people", and not have anyone point out the openly racist stereotype involved. It's kinda like calling a black person a "dindu" in that way.

And given that people have been using this exact stereotype in on this board going back to at least Trayvon Martin's murder to label black people "thugs" for things like walking around, making fraternity hand signs, or wearing various clothing styles, this field has been heavily mined. So, folks, watch your step!
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:30 AM   #36
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Anyone can use it all they want. I'm just letting y'all know that some code words are rather obvious. What people can't do is use it to mean "black people", and not have anyone point out the openly racist stereotype involved. It's kinda like calling a black person a "dindu" in that way.

And given that people have been using this exact stereotype in on this board going back to at least Trayvon Martin's murder to label black people "thugs" for things like walking around, making fraternity hand signs, or wearing various clothing styles, this field has been heavily mined. So, folks, watch your step!
"On April 28, 2015, President Barack Obama referred to a collection of citizens from Baltimore, Maryland as “criminals and thugs”

Old 3rd June 2018, 08:45 AM   #37
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Really, you could get 100 gang bangers to swarm the tourist area of your city, overwhelm the police resulting in the take over of your public transportation system in a couple of hours? Holy cow!

Again, the sources you cite and your argument are not agreeing with each other. You have never been in a place with 100 rowdy late teen/early 20's men with some doing 'borderline criminal' (whatever that means) behavior? I'd be surprised.

And again, 100 people exhibiting bad behavior is a minuscule example to try to generalize from. It's like your example of people being pushed into the lake, and the report you cite talks about a group of 4-5 people doing it. Wow. We should all be so worried about that. In Chicago. Because that is the dangerous stuff there.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:06 AM   #38
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Again, the sources you cite and your argument are not agreeing with each other. You have never been in a place with 100 rowdy late teen/early 20's men with some doing 'borderline criminal' (whatever that means) behavior? I'd be surprised.

And again, 100 people exhibiting bad behavior is a minuscule example to try to generalize from. It's like your example of people being pushed into the lake, and the report you cite talks about a group of 4-5 people doing it. Wow. We should all be so worried about that. In Chicago. Because that is the dangerous stuff there.
You were the one who claimed it was "borderline criminal." I am showing it was it was a flat out criminal orgy.
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:34 AM   #39
rdwight
Critical Thinker

You were the one who claimed it was "borderline criminal." I am showing it was it was a flat out criminal orgy.
Your sources stated that the police called it 'borderline criminal'. You have not shown it is a 'criminal orgy'(whatever that means). Your sources flat out do not match your rhetoric.

From the Chicago Tribune you linked -

Quote:
“They came down here specifically to cause problems,” Deputy Chief Al Nagode said. “They were running in and out of traffic, they were confronting different groups, they were running into businesses doing different activities that were borderline criminal, mostly nuisance, so the officers have to work that fine line of, do we (go) out there to arrest somebody.”
Quote:
“A lot of it is the nuisance that they’re doing. It’s part of what we get with teens,” Nagode said. “The resources it would take me to lock up 100 kids who were fighting would be tremendous, so we have to mitigate, stop the problem and do what’s necessary to make (everyone) safe."
And you continue to ignore how few people 100 is to make generalizations from here. Don't think anyone condones the behavior but it's really just an angle for the police to ask for additional overtime and officer recruits. It's not really to stop these groups from behaving this way. It's to stop them from behaving this way in the good areas. The tourist areas. The money spots.
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:02 AM   #40
kellyb
Philosopher

the report you cite talks about a group of 4-5 people doing it. Wow. We should all be so worried about that.
: I am showing it was it was a flat out criminal orgy.
Yes, 4 or 5 young men pushing a few people in a lake is definitely my idea of a criminal orgy.

Uh huh.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events