ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Mr Salk
Thinker

Not buying Yugurt While Black

Next time just buy a small vanilla.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...n-a-black-man/
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Wow, the call doesn't even represent the situation. The man wasn't even alone. And he was legally required to be there.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:10 AM   #3
baron
Philosopher

But it was an Asian who called the cops. Can Asians be racist? I await further information.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Drewbot
Philosopher

+1 for International Skeptics Racist watchdogs. You got another one.

I just looked it up, at that very instant, there were 4,200 black people eating FRO-YO somewhere in America and not being asked to leave.

Last edited by Drewbot; 21st November 2018 at 09:14 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:13 AM   #5
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Next time just buy a small vanilla.
NO

This is victim blaming.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:18 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by baron View Post
But it was an Asian who called the cops. Can Asians be racist? I await further information.
I love how the owner said he understands because he's asian. I'm pretty sure asians don't have to deal with this sort of stuff regularily, if at all.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

I just looked it up, at that very instant, there were 4,200 black people eating FRO-YO somewhere in America and not being asked to leave.
And yet, he was asked to leave for not actually doing anything, and even after the police confirmed that he was doing what he was legally required to do, they still asked him to leave, because he was scawwy.

Old 21st November 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

You'd have been fun in the 60s.

"Oh yeah. What what about all the black people not being lynched? Nobody ever talks about them!"

Even if you think racism is overblown, the idea that sets people off this much when cases of it are brought up is... icky.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:26 AM   #9
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In liberal western WA state no less.

There aren't a lot of black people here. There is a large Asian population.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:27 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

Southern white rednecks don't hold a monopoly on racism.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:30 AM   #11
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

How clear cut of an example do you require in order not to troll the thread? I get that some of the "while black" threads are bogus. This one, however, seems entirely legit.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:30 AM   #12
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm pretty sure asians don't have to deal with this sort of stuff regularily, if at all.
So Asians are honorary whites... hang on, let me jot this down. Whilst we're on the topic, what about Latinos? Do they experience racism like the blacks or are they exempt from it like the whites and the Asians?
Old 21st November 2018, 09:32 AM   #13
baron
Philosopher

How clear cut of an example do you require in order not to troll the thread? I get that some of the "while black" threads are bogus. This one, however, seems entirely legit.
Thanks for your input on my posts. Which particular element is 'legit' racism in your opinion? The servers expressing concern? The boss, ringing the cops? The cops, enforcing the boss's wishes?
Old 21st November 2018, 09:34 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Thanks for your input on my posts. Which particular element is 'legit' racism in your opinion? The servers expressing concern? The boss, ringing the cops? The cops, enforcing the boss's wishes?
As long as the black guy gets kept in his place it's all good, right?

Old 21st November 2018, 09:37 AM   #15
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
As long as the black guy gets kept in his place it's all good, right?
He wasn't kept in his place, he had to leave.

I'm here all week. Get used to it.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:37 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well it is next to oregon, a state specifically founded for white people, it had a whites only clause in its state constitution after all.

There is simply a ton of racism in the pacific north west. That is why it is easier to hold nazi conferences there than say in NYC. You get a lot of computer professionals there to network.

https://www.thestranger.com/news/201...ist-convention
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:38 AM   #17
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He wasn't kept in his place, he had to leave.
I know. So uppity. Acting like a real person. Shameful.

Old 21st November 2018, 09:39 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

This is what happens when the state foolishly hires blacks. They should really know that you can't hire black people to monitor white families.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:40 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

As somebody recently said:

There's plenty to discuss with regards to racism but if posters are unable to do it in a fair, adult manner then I guess shutting up is a viable option.
With which I agree.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:43 AM   #20
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
This is what happens when the state foolishly hires blacks. They should really know that you can't hire black people to monitor white families.
I don't think he is hired to do it. He volunteers. He is a court-appointed special advocate for the child, which is a volunteer program (I do it as well). As part of his role, he is also authorized to supervise visits between parents and children. I don't do that - it's too much responsibility.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:46 AM   #21
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron, numbers added for handy reference View Post
Thanks for your input on my posts. Which particular element is 'legit' racism in your opinion? (1) The servers expressing concern? (2) The boss, ringing the cops? (3) The cops, enforcing the boss's wishes?
(1) yes
(2) likely
(3) yes

Standing caveat: I don't view racism as binary.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:46 AM   #22
Thermal
Philosopher

Ok. Guy just standing there staring in the store. Not buying or shopping. Yeah, that could freak anyone out, and yes, it can be unnerving. Calling the cops may be an overreaction, though.

But the LWB angle: did workers single him out because he was black, or because he was standing there, not shopping or doing things you would normally do in a store?

The guy says in his interview that this was just another Wednesday. I would rely like to know how many Wednesdays the police have been clalled on him. Or any day, for that matter. In fact, that is the whole purported point of LWB: the relentlessness of this treatment, not one-offs that we all deal with. Almost every one of these threads show pretty rare one-offs in a nation of some 330,000,000.

If the guy does not claim that he has police called on him at least weekly, per his claim, I'm calling BS.

Last edited by Thermal; 21st November 2018 at 09:47 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:48 AM   #23
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well it is next to oregon, a state specifically founded for white people, it had a whites only clause in its state constitution after all.

There is simply a ton of racism in the pacific north west. That is why it is easier to hold nazi conferences there than say in NYC. You get a lot of computer professionals there to network.

https://www.thestranger.com/news/201...ist-convention
Yes, I'm aware, I've lived here for 30+ years.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:51 AM   #24
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok. Guy just standing there staring in the store. Not buying or shopping. Yeah, that could freak anyone out, and yes, it can be unnerving. Calling the cops may be an overreaction, though.

But the LWB angle: did workers single him out because he was black, or because he was standing there, not shopping or doing things you would normally do in a store?

The guy says in his interview that this was just another Wednesday. I would rely like to know how many Wednesdays the police have been clalled on him. Or any day, for that matter. In fact, that is the whole purported point of LWB: the relentlessness of this treatment, not one-offs that we all deal with. Almost every one of these threads show pretty rare one-offs in a nation of some 330,000,000.

If the guy does not claim that he has police called on him at least weekly, per his claim, I'm calling BS.
What an oddly hyper literal callout. By all means, I urge you to read my Fat Jack thread, see sig.

Last edited by varwoche; 21st November 2018 at 09:58 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 09:55 AM   #25
Belz...
Fiend God

So Asians are honorary whites...
Rule of so.

Quote:
Whilst we're on the topic, what about Latinos? Do they experience racism like the blacks or are they exempt from it like the whites and the Asians?
I'm not sure where you're going with this. Is it possible for different minorities to experience discrimination differently?

Old 21st November 2018, 09:59 AM   #26
Belz...
Fiend God

All of the above. No one had any reason to be afraid, and the cops, once apprised of the situation, should've laughed it off and left him alone.

Old 21st November 2018, 10:00 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

I know. So uppity. Acting like a real person. Shameful.
He should be grateful that his ancestors were brought across the ocean to live the American Dream.

Old 21st November 2018, 10:07 AM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

What an oddly hyper literal callout. By all means, I urge you to read my Fat Jack thread, see sig.
Not being hyper literal. The LWB threads, or at least many, milk out the constant mistreatment angle. What I would really like to know is just how often this kind of thing happens to the victims. I have police called on my white ass each and every year, sometimes two or three times. I'm never doing anything wrong, but it could look like I am.

So, we're skeptics, right? How about we analize data instead of emotional anecdotal hyperbole? LWB would have some teeth if it showed this happens a lot, and repeatedly to its victims. If this OP guy had cops called on him once this year because he looked a little suspicious, I have him beat with twice for 2018. Anecdotal, yes, but so are these LWB threads.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:07 AM   #29
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
As somebody recently said:

With which I agree.
Lead the way, then.

(1) yes
(2) likely
(3) yes

Standing caveat: I don't view racism as binary.
So on that day, everybody was racist; the servers, the boss and the cops. What a horrible country the US is, for sure.

The servers were unnerved at the guy sitting on his own (he was across the aisle from the family), not buying anything and constantly checking his phone. They were so perturbed they were frighted to speak to him, hence they called their boss. An over-reaction, sure. Racist? Not so much.

The Asian boss called the cops because he didn't want to confront the guy either. The actions of a good store manager? Nope. Rude and ignorant? Yep. Racist? I doubt it.

The cops show up and enforce the request of the store manager. That's their job. The store manager is fully within his rights to ask someone to leave and the cops are there to enforce that. The fact the guy gave a plausible reason for sitting there not buying anything is not the cops' concern. Of course, if they had any brains they would have explained this to the store manager and asked him to reconsider. They didn't, just a couple of dumb cops, but there's no evidence of them being racist.

Is it possible for different minorities to experience discrimination differently?
Don't ask me, it was you who said you're 'pretty certain' Asians don't experience racism.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:08 AM   #30
rdwight
Critical Thinker

I think I would have a little more understanding in regards to the situation if their uncomfortable feeling was caused by a man sitting adjacent to a mother and child, staring and waiting while doing little else. There have been a few recent issues around my area with men following around woman and their children in stores, some direct attempts at grabbing etc.

Why after the officers were informed of the situation did they still instruct the gentleman to leave is confusing.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 10:09 AM   #31
baron
Philosopher

I have police called on my white ass each and every year, sometimes two or three times. I'm never doing anything wrong, but it could look like I am.
I once had an estate agent lock the door of a house I'd turned up to view and, for a time, refuse to acknowledge my presence outside. I guess people who look like me should live in tower blocks or something. Good job I'm white or I would have had to start a thread.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:19 AM   #32
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
I think I would have a little more understanding in regards to the situation if their uncomfortable feeling was caused by a man sitting adjacent to a mother and child, staring and waiting while doing little else. There have been a few recent issues around my area with men following around woman and their children in stores, some direct attempts at grabbing etc.

Why after the officers were informed of the situation did they still instruct the gentleman to leave is confusing.
Out of all the racism apologetics "But black men are men and sometimes men are dangerous" might be my favorite.

Old 21st November 2018, 10:26 AM   #33
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Not being hyper literal. The LWB threads, or at least many, milk out the constant mistreatment angle. What I would really like to know is just how often this kind of thing happens to the victims. I have police called on my white ass each and every year, sometimes two or three times. I'm never doing anything wrong, but it could look like I am.

So, we're skeptics, right? How about we analize data instead of emotional anecdotal hyperbole? LWB would have some teeth if it showed this happens a lot, and repeatedly to its victims. If this OP guy had cops called on him once this year because he looked a little suspicious, I have him beat with twice for 2018. Anecdotal, yes, but so are these LWB threads.
It's a figure of speech meaning that it happens frequently. To interpret it to mean that he is claiming a weekly occurrence without fail is just silly.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:28 AM   #34
Belz...
Fiend God

Don't ask me, it was you who said you're 'pretty certain' Asians don't experience racism.
Don't lie. I didn't say that.

Old 21st November 2018, 10:34 AM   #35
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

What is the context of the police being called on you 2 or 3 times a year, and who is calling them? My "batting" average for the police being called on my ass is .000. I've been pulled over once in my entire life (but lol this is New Mexico just keep it under 110 MPH and your BAC under .2).
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 10:34 AM   #36
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I love how the owner said he understands because he's asian. I'm pretty sure asians don't have to deal with this sort of stuff regularily, if at all.
An Asian called Ramon Cruz may get more than usual.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 10:35 AM   #37
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Out of all the racism apologetics "But black men are men and sometimes men are dangerous" might be my favorite.
Is there a reason you are quoting me in regards to your comment?
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 10:40 AM   #38
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure asians don't have to deal with this sort of stuff regularily, if at all.
How do you know?

I'll bet if someone started posting 'DOING 'X' WHILE ASIAN' Threads here at International Skeptics, you'd be changing your tune.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2018, 10:41 AM   #39
Thermal
Philosopher

It's a figure of speech meaning that it happens frequently. To interpret it to mean that he is claiming a weekly occurrence without fail is just silly.
Yes, I get that. But his exaggeration is the crux of what some of us find problematic with this meme. He describes what most of us go through, but he is more burdened than the rest of us. So I ask: he had the cops called on him when he did nothing wrong, but looked suspicious. Yeah, me too. No tears here. Why are his eyes misting if he is going through no more than the rest of us?

BTW, I know racism is a very real problem. My argument is that the LWB meme does not reflect it well, and comes off as counterproductive entitled whining. The posters are trying too hard to make a meme out of everyday nuicances, and are getting progressively sillier. The Chipolte Gang, Crosswalk Cathy, accused white racists that turn out to have black spouses...the meme is shooting itself in the foot
Old 21st November 2018, 10:41 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
An Asian called Ramon Cruz may get more than usual.
I doubt he gets cops called on him just for being somewhere and, I don't know, having the appearance of a suspicious person.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events