ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 3rd December 2018, 05:23 PM   #961
Distracted1
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,628
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
See? See? It's an avalanche of white elitists oppressing us! A veritable avalanche of the bougoise!

Eta: *lying in wait for some white elitist to correct spelling*
Oddly, that happened just a few days before that situation in Dallas where the woman went to the wrong door and wound up shooting the guy.
I was going to post about it in that thread, but I refrained, thinking it seemed too trite for the topic and would be disbelieved.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 05:29 PM   #962
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Oddly, that happened just a few days before that situation in Dallas where the woman went to the wrong door and wound up shooting the guy.
I was going to post about it in that thread, but I refrained, thinking it seemed too trite for the topic and would be disbelieved.
I posted in that thread a few days ago about a guy who barged in my front door. He was winterizing the house next door (structurally twins) and waked into the wrong one. It ocvured to me that it might sound a little too neat to be believable, too. But this kind of stuff does happen. When I lived in rural areas, it certainly didn't. Then again, we had year round neighbors in the woods, too.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 05:30 PM   #963
kellyb
Philosopher
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,544
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post


Why you elitist swine.

Why would yours truly, a contractor with his lettered work truck parked out front, and wearing typical construction garb and boots, and carrying a notepad and pen, maybe a tape measure and phone, who has the key to a property under construction, look like a prowler? You didn't know those things , you say? That means you would have assumed I look like a prowler for no reason. Pretty elitist of you. Maybe elitistally biased. We'll see.
It is a well known fact, dearest Thermal, that buglers oft wear various disguises whilst burgling, and the old "I'm just a building contractor! Lookit my clipboard and hardhat!" gambit is a favorite amongst the robber crowd.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.

Last edited by kellyb; 3rd December 2018 at 05:32 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 05:31 PM   #964
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,447
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Mine is supported by a quote from Ragland. Yours is made up out of thin air. Yeah, mine has stronger evidence.
Cops know all about supervised visits, safe assumption.
The cops caused Ragland to leave, how is that not evidence the cops didn't do the right thing?
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:28 PM   #965
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
It is a well known fact, dearest Thermal, that buglers oft wear various disguises whilst burgling, and the old "I'm just a building contractor! Lookit my clipboard and hardhat!" gambit is a favorite amongst the robber crowd.
Burglars wear disguises to commit their crimes? You white elitists do revere your Scooby-Doo.

And white trash disguising itself as white trash! Pure genius, hiding in plain sight! What will the clever little critters think up next?
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:31 PM   #966
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Cops know all about supervised visits, safe assumption.
The cops caused Ragland to leave, how is that not evidence the cops didn't do the right thing?
The cops opened up saying the manager asked him to move along. That was true. For all we know, it may have been resolved on the spot, had Ragland not split and cut the whole gig short.

You're another of those white elitists, aren't you?
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:46 PM   #967
Distracted1
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,628
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
It is a well known fact, dearest Thermal, that buglers oft wear various disguises whilst burgling, and the old "I'm just a building contractor! Lookit my clipboard and hardhat!" gambit is a favorite amongst the robber crowd.
Are you saying that being mistaken about a possibly suspicious seeming behavior in retrospect does not automatically taint the character of the person feeling the suspicion?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:47 PM   #968
Distracted1
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,628
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Cops know all about supervised visits, safe assumption.
The cops caused Ragland to leave, how is that not evidence the cops didn't do the right thing?
Obviously, they should have insisted that he stay.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:28 PM   #969
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 39,226
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Why do you have to lie about this?

Yes, the police told him the manager wanted him to skedaddle when they came up. I said, and repeatedly, that Ragland gave his name, and that he was there with the mother and son for a visitation.

Bit here was the point that either went over your head or you are lying about: Other posters have pushed a distorted version where the police continued to tell him to leave anyway. This appears to be untrue, based on the police report. Others have said that the cops should have rounded up the employees and straightened it all out on the spot. The point I was making is that the police were asking the follow-up questions to get it all settled, and Ragland...according to the police report...refused to give any more information and left with the mother and son.

So there was no opportunity for this mythical on-the-spot resolution. Ragland cut it short, full stop. Which was the point I was making, that some posters were buying in to an altered version of events to suit the Woke Narrative.

So why do you lie about my recounting, and walk it around to say something else?
I'm guessing he has been in this situation before and realises the futility of trying to clear things up. Our even having to clear anything up.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:39 PM   #970
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,447
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The cops opened up saying the manager asked him to move along.
Not proper without a reasonable assessment of the situation.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That was true. For all we know, it may have been resolved on the spot, had Ragland not split and cut the whole gig short.
The man was working. How's he supposed to act knowing he has certain responsibilities as a visit supervisor?

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You're another of those white elitists, aren't you?
WTF is that supposed to mean? You should stop posting if you don't feel like being civil.


Thought this was worth posting: Initiative 940, modifying law regulating police use of deadly force, passes with strong support
Quote:
Initiative 940, the measure that would remove a 32-year-old barrier in state law that has made it virtually impossible to bring criminal charges against police officers believed to have wrongfully used deadly force, has passed with strong support.

Passage of the measure means that prosecutors will no longer have to prove law-enforcement officers acted with “evil intent” — or so-called “malice” — when considering whether to file criminal charges such as manslaughter. Washington is the only state with such restrictive language....

... I-940 also requires de-escalation and mental-health training for police; requires officers to administer first aid to a victim of deadly force; and requires independent investigations into the use of deadly force.
They had a moving commercial for the initiative: Empathy Across Boundaries.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:43 PM   #971
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,447
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Obviously, they should have insisted that he stay.
Perhaps if the police had put an emphasis on acting fairly none of the three would have felt the need to leave.

Better yet, if the manager and the employees didn't see every black male as a threat no one would have called the cops.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:54 PM   #972
Distracted1
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,628
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Perhaps if the police had put an emphasis on acting fairly none of the three would have felt the need to leave.

Better yet, if the manager and the employees didn't see every black male as a threat no one would have called the cops.
Amazing that they can even get through a day seeing every black male as a threat.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:06 PM   #973
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,614
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Eta: I see you do not live in the States. Apologies, you simply have no idea what you are talking about WRT American cops. Our discretion barometer is measured in fatalities.
What I do have an idea about is competent policing because I observe it constantly in my country. The biggest problem with US policing is the huge number of police forces, many small and with clearly inadequate training standards and poor command.

The police here acted like dicks.

ETA, I’d also like to see examples of police apologising when they feel they are not at fault. Police forces (well good ones anyway) do not play PR101.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 3rd December 2018 at 11:11 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:32 AM   #974
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The police here acted like dicks.
Back this up, white elitist. From the pitifully small reporting we have about the exchange, what did they do that was so dickish?

They responded to dispatch. Is that dickish?

They stated why they were there and probably asked for his name. Dickish?

They asked a follow up question after Ragland answered. Is this the flaming dick move?

Ragland left and they let him walk away unmolested. Surely this isn't the dick move?

Unclutch your pearls for a moment and explain where the cops go phallic, if you please.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:33 AM   #975
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 11,994
Hmm, who should I believe about the conduct of the cops...?

Originally Posted by Kirkland Police Dept
Our initial assessment showed that the interaction that occurred did not meet the expectations of our community or the high standards we set for ourselves.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:41 AM   #976
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 14,863
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Hmm, who should I believe about the conduct of the cops...?
You can't trust cops to say the cop wasn't in the right.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 11:44 AM   #977
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Hey! Just found this:

Originally Posted by KPD Damage Control Department
Guys, we are totally not racists and boy, are we sorry. We weren't sorry until we were in the spotlight of course, but that's just coincidental. We are the most Woke almost entirely bunch of white cops in the whole world. Srsly
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.

Last edited by Thermal; 4th December 2018 at 11:45 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 12:04 PM   #978
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Hmm, who should I believe about the conduct of the cops...?
Note how vague the statement is. Nothing in particular is being owned up to. The officer, Colins-Thomsson, does not appear to be getting disciplined. The full apology (snicker) says they regret making Ragland and Co feel unwelcome. They are apologizing to appear sensitive, not because they have identified wrongdoing on their officer's part.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 01:12 PM   #979
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 11,994
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Note how vague the statement is. Nothing in particular is being owned up to. The officer, Colins-Thomsson, does not appear to be getting disciplined. The full apology (snicker) says they regret making Ragland and Co feel unwelcome. They are apologizing to appear sensitive, not because they have identified wrongdoing on their officer's part.
That is entirely possible. The vagueness alerts me too.

It's also entirely possible the statement is legit, and will be followed-up later with more specifics. For now, it stands as the official position. It's worth mentioning, however, that it aligns with what we know -- Ragland didn't do one damn thing wrong, and he got the bums rush for no verifiable, valid* reason. Just sneaking suspicions of dubious origin. That's the sort of thing a police dept might actually have a problem with, who woulda thunk.

* Unless we count bad posture against him, as witnessed on a single, blurry still lifted from the video, courtesy of Mr Salk.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 01:47 PM   #980
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,578
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
That is entirely possible. The vagueness alerts me too.

It's also entirely possible the statement is legit, and will be followed-up later with more specifics. For now, it stands as the official position. It's worth mentioning, however, that it aligns with what we know -- Ragland didn't do one damn thing wrong, and he got the bums rush for no verifiable, valid* reason. Just sneaking suspicions of dubious origin. That's the sort of thing a police dept might actually have a problem with, who woulda thunk.

* Unless we count bad posture against him, as witnessed on a single, blurry still lifted from the video, courtesy of Mr Salk.
What may be most likely is that we are both correct: KPD may not have identified anything improper, but are sincerely concerned about making anyone feel unwelcome in their community.

Eta: except shady dudes. **** them.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.

Last edited by Thermal; 4th December 2018 at 01:50 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.