ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:18 AM   #241
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,252
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Black people are being murdered by black people in staggering numbers, outnumbering whites by an average of 2700% and over 5000% in some states*. But the protesters don't care about protesting the deaths of these black people, because there's no white or Asian to demonise, they would rather focus their energies on a guy momentarily inconvenienced in a yogurt shop.
There's a difference, though. Black people killing black people is (probably) not racially motivated. These people are protesting perceived racism in their community. It doesn't follow that they "don't care" about high murder rates among African Americans.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:31 AM   #242
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,199
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
There's a difference, though. Black people killing black people is (probably) not racially motivated. These people are protesting perceived racism in their community. It doesn't follow that they "don't care" about high murder rates among African Americans.
I understand that, which is why I gave the two options as regards why they were protesting.

If they (and by 'they' I include the protesters, media and Twitter trolls) pretend to care about the threat to the well being of black people then they've shown themselves to be fakers, for the reason I gave.

If they care solely about racism then I suggest they look to themselves before trying to wreck the life of someone who has committed, at worst, a very minor transgression. As I say, there is real, damaging racism in the US going on all the time, and the perpetrators and victims come in all colours, so focusing on this bumfluffery is not helping the cause.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:06 AM   #243
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,252
Originally Posted by baron View Post
If they care solely about racism then I suggest they look to themselves before trying to wreck the life of someone who has committed, at worst, a very minor transgression. As I say, there is real, damaging racism in the US going on all the time, and the perpetrators and victims come in all colours, so focusing on this bumfluffery is not helping the cause.
Fair enough. But people respond to anecdotes. I hope that store manager's life isn't wrecked. Occasionally people can talk it out and understand each other better.

I used to get numerous responses when I wrote about animal-cruelty cases - often more responses than stories about child abuse. Sometimes I think the big stuff just feels too big. Maybe people act on local anecdotes because they believe that's where they can make a difference, such as getting a store to change a policy. Given the facts I can understand why the staff and manager reacted as they did. The police, not so much.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:21 AM   #244
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,199
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Fair enough. But people respond to anecdotes. I hope that store manager's life isn't wrecked. Occasionally people can talk it out and understand each other better.

I used to get numerous responses when I wrote about animal-cruelty cases - often more responses than stories about child abuse.
Ah, well I'm the same, but there is a difference. The law is well equipped to deal with child abuse and despite the fact it isn't always enacted, the framework is there to protect children by direct intervention and to and levy the harshest punishment against transgressors. The same is not true for animals, who often do not have even basic protection under law and when they do the penalties aren't worth bothering with. In the UK, which is seen as progressive in this area, we have animal protection laws backed by the threat of (very short) jail sentences, but there is literally no police or CPS enforcement (animal cruelty cases are investigated, prosecuted and funded entirely privately through the RSPCA charity). That's why people tend to feel they should make a stand for animals, because the authorities won't do it.

That's going OT but the point is the same discrepancy doesn't exist between racial groups of people as it does between people and animals.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:37 AM   #245
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Besźel or Ul Qoma - not sure...
Posts: 8,544
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I would have thought that saying “I’m with them” would suffice. Not everyone in a group needs to buy something, at least in every cafe and restaurant I’ve been in.
It seems they were sitting at separate tables, which would have seemed odd, notwithstanding the fact that the staff apparently chose fear over simple enquiry.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:12 AM   #246
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,002
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
If you read my previous link you'll see that Cruz the manager has had his staff robbed at gunpoint at this store...
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
ETA: He never said this. ... Maybe a gun was involved, maybe not, but the point is, I think you are making stuff up.
Oooh, I skimmed the article and didn't notice there wasn't a gun.

@Mr Salk When you posted the link, and accompanied it with a condescending "let me google it for you", and that came on the heels of you getting busted making stuff up, it didn't occur to me that you'd be making stuff up again. Silly me, I now know better.

Welcome to the forum. Tip: sharpen your pencil.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:40 AM   #247
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,002
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I guarantee you're the only one.
Bzzzzt, sorry, you're not as special as you think Mr. Iconoclast.

It's very hard to prove things in the interpersonal domain. I'm amused that this is an exception, and that I'm able to prove you wrong. That's because I also look forward to crossing paths.

About that guarantee, what are attempt5001's options for cashing it in? Here's hoping it doesn't take 5002 attempts to be made whole.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.

Last edited by varwoche; 23rd November 2018 at 06:41 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:00 AM   #248
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,002
Cleanup on aisle 1...

Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
The yogurt shop gets three kinds of folks:

Yogurt Eaters
Bathroom Junkies
Robbers

If someone is sitting alone NOT eating yogurt or doing-drugs in the bathroom, staring at two yogurt-eaters like he's waiting for them to finish, what is the natural conclusion? Calling a manger with concerns is entirely reasonable.
The only source for "bathroom junkies" is the owner on the hot seat. (By the way, knowing the area, that's the part of his tale that raised my eyebrows.) It's foolish to accept this as fact. What's worse though is turning around and foisting it on others as fact. "According to..." is your friend.

We know he was robbed once, many years ago, by an unarmed* individual who took $200. To elevate "robbers" as one of three demographics entering the store is so far beyond absurd that it's in the realm of the surreal.

* A reasonable assumption. A news story about the robbery almost certainly would have mentioned if the robber was armed. That's a key fact.

Add: I have utterly no doubt, to the extent that I would wager every penny I own, that there are FAR more non-robbers who enter the store and leave without buying yogurt than there are robbers.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.

Last edited by varwoche; 23rd November 2018 at 07:33 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:59 AM   #249
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's my goal from this time forward to be this thoughtful, respectful, snark-free, and clear in the way I express myself. I mean that.

Day one: not going so well.
It's my goal from this time forward to speak in full-sarcasm all the time.

Unfortunately I'm no Cain.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:08 AM   #250
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Perhaps yogurt shops in your community are laid back safe-places to not enjoy ice cream. This shop had been robbed and often has folks shooting drugs in the bathroom. The young ladies manning the counter were justifiably on alert and cautious.
There's cautious and then there's cautious. They treated him like a Tarrasque sitting in their place of business.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:11 AM   #251
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 17,538
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Cleanup on aisle 1...

The only source for "bathroom junkies" is the owner on the hot seat. (By the way, knowing the area, that's the part of his tale that raised my eyebrows.) It's foolish to accept this as fact. What's worse though is turning around and foisting it on others as fact. "According to..." is your friend.

We know he was robbed once, many years ago, by an unarmed* individual who took $200. To elevate "robbers" as one of three demographics entering the store is so far beyond absurd that it's in the realm of the surreal.

* A reasonable assumption. A news story about the robbery almost certainly would have mentioned if the robber was armed. That's a key fact.

Add: I have utterly no doubt, to the extent that I would wager every penny I own, that there are FAR more non-robbers who enter the store and leave without buying yogurt than there are robbers.
How many of the robbers have sat around looking at their phone for an extended period of time? Did he even use the bathroom while he was there?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Gidget, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:15 AM   #252
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
If you read my previous link you'll see that Cruz the manager has had his staff robbed at gunpoint at this store. What exactly should he have done when his current staff calls about a suspicious non-customer loitering and staring at people? His primary responsibility is they safety of his staff, not avoiding perceived racism.
Humans have eyes. Looking at people isn't suspicious.

And having been robbed before is no reason to mistread potential customers on nothing but suspicion. I do wonder, had this man been white, if they would've considered his behaviour suspicious to begin with.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:22 AM   #253
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by baron View Post
And this is exactly the reason why the vast majority of people are turned off by this crap. A guy is guilty of, at worst, stereotyping a customer and causing him embarrassment and suddenly he's a national figure of hate, subject to threats and financial penalties and the loss of his job and livelihood.
Well, I don't think he should lose his job for this. But the utilitarian in me thinks that maybe if he does it'd send a clear message to everybody else: stop treating black people as if they're a threat by default.

Of course, it might also mean that store owners ignore clear threats for fear of being called racists. It's difficult to find a healthy middle ground in these matters.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:31 AM   #254
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Cleanup on aisle 1...

The only source for "bathroom junkies" is the owner on the hot seat. (By the way, knowing the area, that's the part of his tale that raised my eyebrows.) It's foolish to accept this as fact. What's worse though is turning around and foisting it on others as fact. "According to..." is your friend.

We know he was robbed once, many years ago, by an unarmed* individual who took $200. To elevate "robbers" as one of three demographics entering the store is so far beyond absurd that it's in the realm of the surreal.

* A reasonable assumption. A news story about the robbery almost certainly would have mentioned if the robber was armed. That's a key fact.

Add: I have utterly no doubt, to the extent that I would wager every penny I own, that there are FAR more non-robbers who enter the store and leave without buying yogurt than there are robbers.
Hm. You cannot take his recounting as fact because he is 'in the hot seat'? Sounds a little like guilty till proven innocent. I take it that you accept Ragland's impressions at face value, though?
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:43 AM   #255
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,002
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hm. You cannot take his recounting as fact because he is 'in the hot seat'? Sounds a little like guilty till proven innocent. I take it that you accept Ragland's impressions at face value, though?
Oh please. This is critical thinking 101, applied to the socio-political domain. Seriously. I barely think this merits a reply but...

(1) In this scenario, Ragland isn't on the hot seat.
(2) I do not take what anyone says at face value.
(3) Ragland's after-the-fact telling of how he is treated as a black person has no bearing whatsoever on the events at the store, or whether the actors are racists.
(4) I haven't foisted the things that Ragland said as fact

Pay better attention please.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:45 AM   #256
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Humans have eyes. Looking at people isn't suspicious.

And having been robbed before is no reason to mistread potential customers on nothing but suspicion. I do wonder, had this man been white, if they would've considered his behaviour suspicious to begin with.
Do we have any reason to wonder about this? Should we wonder if the young women were down low trying g to hook up with the guy and this was their awkward icebreaker?

Projecting racism where there seems to be none is how a lot of these LWBs get rolling. Demonstrate the evidence of racism first, no?
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:50 AM   #257
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Oh please. This is critical thinking 101, applied to the socio-political domain. Seriously. I barely think this merits a reply but...

(1) In this scenario, Ragland isn't on the hot seat.
(2) I do not take what anyone says at face value.
(3) Ragland's after-the-fact telling of how he is treated as a black person has no bearing whatsoever on the events at the store, or whether the actors are racists.
(4) I haven't foisted the things that Ragland said as fact

Pay better attention please.
Oh, I'm ahead of you, in terms of critical thinking. I have removed the projections and assumptions that are not evidenced and give equal value to their recountings. You weigh one more than the other, even though Ragland, by your own assertion, may be exaggerating

Eta: Raglands after the fact recounting is an emotional ploy to reframe the incident, or at least the author's attempt (complete with misting eyes). If you claim to champion critical thinking, this should set your alarm bells off
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.

Last edited by Thermal; 23rd November 2018 at 08:54 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:50 AM   #258
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,199
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, I don't think he should lose his job for this. But the utilitarian in me thinks that maybe if he does it'd send a clear message to everybody else: stop treating black people as if they're a threat by default.

Of course, it might also mean that store owners ignore clear threats for fear of being called racists. It's difficult to find a healthy middle ground in these matters.
The healthy middle ground is just being sensible. The manager should apologise to the guy, give him a free yogurt or something. Maybe the franchise boss can send the manager on a training course. We all know that mistakes happen, and people of all flavours are the subject of poor judgement calls all the time.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:55 AM   #259
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,199
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Oh, I'm ahead of you, in terms of critical thinking. I have removed the projections and assumptions that are not evidenced and give equal value to their recountings. You weigh one more than the other, even though Ragland, by your own assertion, may be exaggerating
And what in God's name prompted him into that lip wobbling pity fest in the first place? If he'd been jailed for being in the 'wrong yogurt shop' then fair enough, but it's such a non-event. When I posted about the estate agent locking me out of a house I had arranged to view on account of me looking like a gorilla (he didn't say that but his face told a different story) it was the first time I'd mentioned it. It was meh, who cares? I know, I know, I'm not black, but introducing that in the absence of clear motive is begging the question.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"

Last edited by baron; 23rd November 2018 at 08:56 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:05 AM   #260
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by baron View Post
And what in God's name prompted him into that lip wobbling pity fest in the first place? If he'd been jailed for being in the 'wrong yogurt shop' then fair enough, but it's such a non-event. When I posted about the estate agent locking me out of a house I had arranged to view on account of me looking like a gorilla (he didn't say that but his face told a different story) it was the first time I'd mentioned it. It was meh, who cares? I know, I know, I'm not black, but introducing that in the absence of clear motive is begging the question.
Exactly. If the manager is 'in the hot seat', it is because he is being required to prove he was not being racist. Why is he being accused of being racist? Cue the misting eyes and lamenting that its just another Wednesday.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:12 AM   #261
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Do we have any reason to wonder about this? Should we wonder if the young women were down low trying g to hook up with the guy and this was their awkward icebreaker?
What in the blue hell are you babbling about?

Quote:
Projecting racism where there seems to be none is how a lot of these LWBs get rolling. Demonstrate the evidence of racism first, no?
Yes. There's ample cause to believe that racism is at play.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:28 AM   #262
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What in the blue hell are you babbling about?
A little satire shouldn't be that confusing. If you would like it spelled out: there is no more reason to project racist motivation s on the manager than there are reasons to assign alterior motives to the young women.

Quote:
Yes. There's ample cause to believe that racism is at play.
No, there isn't. There is the fact that this guy is black, and the manager is not. That's simply not enough to project motives on the manager. You can say he appeared to be overprotective or overzealous in keeping his employees safe; fair enough. But we have no reason to bieve that it was motivated by race, instead of the odd behavior
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:31 AM   #263
attempt5001
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by baron View Post
You never know. Constructive debates are possible, although I think you'll find much of the same behaviour on this forum as the others, namely a polemic dismissal and vilification of 'the other' without even listening to their points. From me too, sometimes.

I guarantee you're the only one.
For sure. There's the usual amount of vitriol here too that anonymity seems to encourage. But I think we've shown that constructive discussions can happen too. Hopefully an encouragement to more than just me.

And by the number of responses you get, I'm sure there are other who "look forward" to your comments, even if they don't like them.

Cheers!
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:38 AM   #264
attempt5001
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Bzzzzt, sorry, you're not as special as you think Mr. Iconoclast.

It's very hard to prove things in the interpersonal domain. I'm amused that this is an exception, and that I'm able to prove you wrong. That's because I also look forward to crossing paths.

About that guarantee, what are attempt5001's options for cashing it in? Here's hoping it doesn't take 5002 attempts to be made whole.
Laugh. Touché. As for the name, I had all sorts of clever, witty usernames I tried to use when I created my account, but it turns out I am pretty late to the game (and not uniquely clever at all) as they had all been taken. After some number of unsuccessful attempts and mounting frustration, I tried my current name and it went though. So, lame username it was, and on I went.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:43 AM   #265
attempt5001
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The only place I've really seen that is here. (Except specialty sites that talk about cooking, or chess, etc.). The "yer an idiot, no, yer an idiot stuff gets old fast.

Personal attacks on other members are forbidden. People still get digs in but if it goes too far some posts are banished to the "Abandon all Hope" category. So your remark about "hope" is very relevant.

Not sure I'd go that far ... but the discipline of not insulting people, backing up claims with evidence and limiting sarcasm is good practice for keeping a civil conversation going. Even if my mind isn't changed I get a better understanding of why people believe what they do. Which is more interesting, IMO, than the instant hostility encountered elsewhere. Welcome to the forum .
Thanks for the welcome Minoosh. I agree completely. I've actually initiated a "real life" chat group in the neighbourhood with people I respect, but who have different experiences and opinions than I do on a number of issues. (We're in the same neighbourhood, so obviously it's not super diverse, but it's a start and it's gone well so far). I'm trying to employ the same level of respect and consideration I would give someone in person, to the conversations I have here, to see if it can be similarly productive. Over time, if it's successful, I'll try to engage with people whose opinions I find increasingly difficult to understand. We'll see how it goes.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:55 AM   #266
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You can say he appeared to be overprotective or overzealous in keeping his employees safe; fair enough.
It seems possible that the motive of calling police was primarily about the safety of the mother and son (who he was watching closely) and secondarily for his staff.

Maybe I'm missing something.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:56 AM   #267
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
A little satire shouldn't be that confusing.
On the interner? You must be new.

Quote:
If you would like it spelled out: there is no more reason to project racist motivation s on the manager than there are reasons to assign alterior motives to the young women.
I still don't know what it is you're saying. No more reason. Ok?

Quote:
No, there isn't. There is the fact that this guy is black, and the manager is not.
If you are misrepresenting or ignoring the arguments that people have given, then of course you can say there is no argument.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:06 AM   #268
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It seems possible that the motive of calling police was primarily about the safety of the mother and son (who he was watching closely) and secondarily for his staff.

Maybe I'm missing something.
I got from the OP article that Ragland was looking at his phone, then looking at the young women employees repeatedly. It could mean that he was looking at the mother and son, which would make more sense.

Either way, I would think that it was odd looking behavior, and workers probably were prudent to call in the Calvary rather than confront him. It really should have been straightened out on the spot, when he explained what he was doing and why.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:10 AM   #269
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Quote:
"They’re kind of scared because he looks suspicious,” Cruz tells the dispatcher. “All he does is look at his phone, look at them, look at his phone, look at them.”
Ragland's job is to look at the mother and son, not to look at staff. If he is only looking at staff then he wasn't doing his job and his employer might want to talk to him about that.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:11 AM   #270
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
On the interner? You must be new.



I still don't know what it is you're saying. No more reason. Ok?



If you are misrepresenting or ignoring the arguments that people have given, then of course you can say there is no argument.
On most of these LWB threads, the assumption is that racism was the motivating factor. It gets under my skin that it is just a bare assertion, rarely with any support at all, except that it is known that racism exists and therefore was present here (+/-). This is not misrepresenting or ignoring arguments; it is pointing out a fallacy. For this I get accused of Klansmanship. Not by you personally, but it's getting a little meta now.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.

Last edited by Thermal; 23rd November 2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Freaking cel phone
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:15 AM   #271
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Ragland's job is to look at the mother and son, not to look at staff. If he is only looking at staff then he wasn't doing his job and his employer might want to talk to him about that.
Yes. The context of that quote was the manager talking about his employees, not the mother and son. But it could be taken either way. And either way, it would look extremely odd, unless you were familiar with supervised visitation, which would not have exactly jumped to my mind.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:27 AM   #272
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yes. The context of that quote was the manager talking about his employees, not the mother and son. But it could be taken either way. And either way, it would look extremely odd, unless you were familiar with supervised visitation, which would not have exactly jumped to my mind.
Ragland may already know full well that the visual scene of a mother and son being closely watched by an adjacent man is highly unusual and could appear suspicious. He may have been constantly monitoring the staff to see if they were monitoring him. He might also understand that the suspicion could be compounded because he is black and the mother and son are white.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 23rd November 2018 at 10:28 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:28 AM   #273
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
On most of these LWB threads, the assumption is that racism was the motivating factor. It gets under my skin that it is just a bare assertion, rarely with any support at all, except that it is known that racism exists and therefore was present here (+/-). This is not misrepresenting or ignoring arguments; it is pointing out a fallacy. For this I get accused of Klansmanship. Not by you personally, but it's getting a little meta now.
Well, personally I don't care about assuming. I look at the data I have and reach a conclusion. I also don't think that racism has to be the sole motivating factors; it suffices that it be _a_ factor.

I get that they may have been robbed before, but that sounds like an excuse rather than a rational explanation as to why they didn't even manage to have enough courage to ask the guy if he wanted to order something. By their own account they were terrified of him, specifically, even though they had little or no reason to. I find hard to believe that previous robberies are the cause of this reaction. If their own account is untrue, then it's not irrational fear, but something more deliberate, which is not better.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:36 AM   #274
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Ragland may already know full well that the visual scene of a mother and son being closely watched by an adjacent man is highly unusual and could appear suspicious. He may have been constantly monitoring the staff to see if they were monitoring him. He might also understand that the suspicion could be compounded because he is black and the mother and son are white.
Good point. If he was monitoring the workers defensively, I would think he might have caught cues that he was unnerving them? I am not sure if it wod be expecting too much of him to have a quick word with staff when he knows he will be engaging in odd behavior? Probably not fair to broadcast the mother and sons situation, though.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:49 AM   #275
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, personally I don't care about assuming. I look at the data I have and reach a conclusion. I also don't think that racism has to be the sole motivating factors; it suffices that it be _a_ factor.
And I wouldn't accept it as _a_ factor in an individual event without some additional support. That was my point about the female emoyees ulterior motivations. If we can assume that race is a factor because of their different races, we could with the same justification assume sex is a factor. I think that needs fairly robust support before attributing a role in the event.

Quote:
I get that they may have been robbed before, but that sounds like an excuse rather than a rational explanation as to why they didn't even manage to have enough courage to ask the guy if he wanted to order something. By their own account they were terrified of him, specifically, even though they had little or no reason to. I find hard to believe that previous robberies are the cause of this reaction. If their own account is untrue, then it's not irrational fear, but something more deliberate, which is not better.
Agreed, the robbery seems a little contrived. I think the behavior alone would be sufficient to freak out a lot of young women. It is stereotypically creepy, even though Ragland had every reason to be doing it. I know I wouldn't encourage my daughters to confront men who are acting that way. Stay clear and stay safe might be my advice. Awkward as it was, calling the cops was possibly the prudent step, although the manager should have at least tried to mitigate it by speaking with the man first. Perhaps he felt that Ragland looked like a threat too, I dunno
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:27 AM   #276
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
If the staff girls are terribly racist then things could have gone a different way as well.

Hey boss, sorry to bother you on your day off but we have a situation here.
What is it?
A black man is in the shop and we need to get him out.
What is he doing?
He's with some white people.
What are they doing?
They are all laughing with each other and some are eating yogurt. But boss, we need that black guy out of here.
Why?
Because he is black.
Are you girls racist?
Yes, and why would you be asking me that at this point in our conversation and would it be okay if we start calling you Captain Obvious?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 23rd November 2018 at 11:30 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:41 AM   #277
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
I continue to be unimpressed - and disgusted - by the arguments that the staff had reason to be fearful of this man because...he was looking around at different things and people? How the **** do you people function outside your homes?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:58 AM   #278
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If the staff girls are terribly racist then things could have gone a different way as well.

Hey boss, sorry to bother you on your day off but we have a situation here.
What is it?
A black man is in the shop and we need to get him out.
What is he doing?
He's with some white people.
What are they doing?
They are all laughing with each other and some are eating yogurt. But boss, we need that black guy out of here.
Why?
Because he is black.
Are you girls racist?
Yes, and why would you be asking me that at this point in our conversation and would it be okay if we start calling you Captain Obvious?
Projecting racism is sooooo last summer. Let's randomly project another trait on them with the same justification...say, hornyness.

Hey boss, you should see the fine piece of ass that strolled into the shop.

Ok. So?

We're down for a three way, but need a discrete opening.

Well...is he with anyone?

Nah, but he's making eyes on us and/or a single mom. Think you could put in a word that we are DTF?

Whatever. I'll send...someone...to get y'all acquainted.

....

Then things didn't work out as planned, and a perfectly good Penthouse Forum story is blown.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:21 PM   #279
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,583
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I continue to be unimpressed - and disgusted - by the arguments that the staff had reason to be fearful of this man because...he was looking around at different things and people?
No, he was acting in a very odd manner. If you can't picture how odd it is, and how creepy it might seem to a couple young women, there's just no reasoning with you.

Quote:
How the **** do you people function outside your homes?
Sounds like you're the one who needs to get out more if you don't see why this behavior might set off alarm bells with people of all races.
__________________
Yes, I've been Bobbed. No, it was not the kind I was hoping for.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:48 PM   #280
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No, he was acting in a very odd manner. If you can't picture how odd it is, and how creepy it might seem to a couple young women, there's just no reasoning with you.
Oh, please. People behave in manners I consider odd all the time. Here's what I assume about those people: That they're behaving in manners I consider odd. Full stop.

The one time I had someone openly steal from me when I worked in a convenience store, he didn't act odd at all, probably because criminals don't want to appear suspicious before they commit a crime and make efforts to appear entirely normal.

And, again, all the guy was doing was sitting there, apparently looking around. How the **** is that suspicious? There's even a name for the perfectly normal activity: People-watching. It's something normal people do when they don't have something else to occupy their time, or because they just enjoy it for it's own sake.

Quote:
Sounds like you're the one who needs to get out more if you don't see why this behavior might set off alarm bells with people of all races.
Nice try, but I'm not the one advocating for calling the police on someone who is doing absolutely nothing wrong.

There isn't a police force on the planet that could handle responding to calls from every person who sees someone else acting oddly.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 23rd November 2018 at 12:49 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.