ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:48 PM   #281
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Agreed, the robbery seems a little contrived. I think the behavior alone would be sufficient to freak out a lot of young women. It is stereotypically creepy, even though Ragland had every reason to be doing it. I know I wouldn't encourage my daughters to confront men who are acting that way. Stay clear and stay safe might be my advice. Awkward as it was, calling the cops was possibly the prudent step, although the manager should have at least tried to mitigate it by speaking with the man first. Perhaps he felt that Ragland looked like a threat too, I dunno
There's nothing creepy about sitting while checking your phone. 'Staring' at them is their claim, and I've addressed it.

Furthermore, no one's talking about confronting him (except baron, perhaps), just talk to him.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:50 PM   #282
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,590
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If the staff girls are terribly racist then things could have gone a different way as well.

Hey boss, sorry to bother you on your day off but we have a situation here.
What is it?
A black man is in the shop and we need to get him out.
What is he doing?
He's with some white people.
What are they doing?
They are all laughing with each other and some are eating yogurt. But boss, we need that black guy out of here.
Why?
Because he is black.
Are you girls racist?
Yes, and why would you be asking me that at this point in our conversation and would it be okay if we start calling you Captain Obvious?
Yeah that's totally how racism works. Well done.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:29 PM   #283
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,196
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Oh, please. People behave in manners I consider odd all the time. Here's what I assume about those people: That they're behaving in manners I consider odd. Full stop.
You've never looked at someone and concluded they're acting suspiciously? That is very strange.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:31 PM   #284
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Furthermore, no one's talking about confronting him (except baron, perhaps), just talk to him.
Hello, I see that you have been sitting here for a while, can I help you with something?
Are you asking me that because I'm black?

Is she now doomed or can she satisfactorily explain that it isn't because he is black or that she isn't racist?

No sir, I would ask that of anyone who is sitting and doing nothing but looking at their phone for a while.
Isn't it obvious that I don't want yogurt, and want to just sit here, and would you really ask that question of a white guy?
Yes I would and I do.
I don't think that I believe you.

This could happen in other situations besides the yogurt shop. Maybe police wouldn't be called but still it could be considered everyday racism by the black guy. There is no scientific method to prove that it wasn't a race thing. It only requires her to be white and him to be black.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:49 PM   #285
Mr Salk
Thinker
 
Mr Salk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Cleanup on aisle 1...

The only source for "bathroom junkies" is the owner on the hot seat. (By the way, knowing the area, that's the part of his tale that raised my eyebrows.) It's foolish to accept this as fact. What's worse though is turning around and foisting it on others as fact. "According to..." is your friend.

We know he was robbed once, many years ago, by an unarmed* individual who took $200. To elevate "robbers" as one of three demographics entering the store is so far beyond absurd that it's in the realm of the surreal.

* A reasonable assumption. A news story about the robbery almost certainly would have mentioned if the robber was armed. That's a key fact.

Add: I have utterly no doubt, to the extent that I would wager every penny I own, that there are FAR more non-robbers who enter the store and leave without buying yogurt than there are robbers.
The owner was not on the "hot seat" when he told dispatch about bathroom junkies and s previous robbery. And if you know the PNW you know the scourge of meth and crime in the communities. Every public bathroom in the state is on lockdown, and needle receptacles are as common as hand dryers. No, I don't have instalation statistics, because I am making a sweeping generalization to strengthen my argument. Just like the robbery occurring "many years ago" instead of 5 years.

The reasonable assumption is that robbery is a forceful threatening act regardless of weapon choice.
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:13 PM   #286
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by baron View Post
You've never looked at someone and concluded they're acting suspiciously? That is very strange.
This is a nonsensical distortion of what I said. I might more closely watch someone who is behaving oddly. I might even ask them about their behavior if it seems problematic (looking at things, by the way, does not qualify). But do you know what I don't do when someone is acting "suspiciously" in a public space? I don't call the police. This is because I don't believe in calling the police unless I think a crime is occurring.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:14 PM   #287
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Sir, it's just that you have been sitting here for 15 minutes and done nothing other than look at your phone and look at me. You keep doing that. I thought you might need some help with something.

Are you kidding me? It's obvious that I don't want yogurt right now or that I might want it later. There is nothing wrong with that and you ought to know that. Everyone knows that if a person wants yogurt they would just walk up to you and order it. Girl, this is ridiculous. Do you actually want to kick me out or something and if so why?

No, not that.

Right now I'm looking at my smartphone and also looking at you. I might keerp on doing that. I don't want any yogurt right now but maybe later, I don't know. That's totally normal for a human being. Are you scared of me? Is it because I'm black?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:24 PM   #288
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,196
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
But do you know what I don't do when someone is acting "suspiciously" in a public space? I don't call the police. This is because I don't believe in calling the police unless I think a crime is occurring.
Then that is completely bizarre behaviour. If I see a car full of guys donning balaclavas outside a bank, or a geezer hiding in the bushes beside a kid's play area, or a sweaty guy with wires poking out of his backpack waiting for a train I'll call the cops. And people will thank me for my public spiritedness and lack of pomposity.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"

Last edited by baron; 23rd November 2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: sp
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:29 PM   #289
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Then that it completely bizarre behaviour. If I see a car full of guys donning balaclavas outside a bank, or a geezer hiding in the bushes beside a kid's play area, or a sweaty guy with wires poking out of his backpack waiting for a train I'll call the cops. And people will thank me for my public spiritedness and lack of pomposity.
Yup. Keep on pushing the hypotheticals to their most ridiculous limits...all in order to excuse calling the police on someone sitting with their eyes open. I bow to your rhetorical superiority.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:34 PM   #290
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,196
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Yup. Keep on pushing the hypotheticals to their most ridiculous limits...all in order to excuse calling the police on someone sitting with their eyes open. I bow to your rhetorical superiority.
They're not ridiculous and you know it. Aside from the guy with the wires but I can easily replace that with a more reasonable scenario if it bothers you. These are viable situations in which you claim you would not call the police. That's not normal behaviour.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:37 PM   #291
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by baron View Post
They're not ridiculous and you know it. Aside from the guy with the wires but I can easily replace that with a more reasonable scenario if it bothers you. These are viable situations in which you claim you would not call the police. That's not normal behaviour.
You could at least try to hew to within intercontinental ballistic missile range of the situation under discussion.


I might also note that this particular digression began with my response to a post about "odd" behavior, not "insanely suspicious" behavior.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 23rd November 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:49 PM   #292
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 17,537
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I continue to be unimpressed - and disgusted - by the arguments that the staff had reason to be fearful of this man because...he was looking around at different things and people? How the **** do you people function outside your homes?
It is beyond disgusting.

We have those so desperate to prove that it wasn't racism that they are arguing that it is appropriate to "call the Calvary" on a court-appointed child advocate supervising a visit between a child who has been taken by their parent by the Department of Child Services and their parent, toward the goal of reunification.

Race aside, that is sick. The guy should be praised for his work (voluntary, by the way), and encouraged, not treated like a criminal. And if you have a system that turns him into a suspect, then your system is totally ****** up.

And before you object that, "They didn't know he was supervising a visit!" I will just note that they didn't know he was a criminal, either, but that didn't stop them from treating him that way.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Gidget, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:58 PM   #293
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,196
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You could at least try to hew to within intercontinental ballistic missile range of the situation under discussion.
No, you were very clear. You moved on from this specific scenario and made the following statement:

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
But do you know what I don't do when someone is acting "suspiciously" in a public space? I don't call the police. This is because I don't believe in calling the police unless I think a crime is occurring.
That's clearly not specific to a guy sitting in a yogurt shop. If you wish to retract this statement then feel free.

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I might also note that this particular digression began with my response to a post about "odd" behavior, not "insanely suspicious" behavior.
'Insanely suspicious' is your choice of words, and at any rate is subjective. Are you now maintaining the two servers didn't find this guy's behaviour suspicious? Or that you accept they did, and they were wrong?

If the former, what do you imagine went through their minds? "God almighty, there's a black man sitting over there acting perfectly normally, we must phone the manager!" I can't see it myself.

If the latter, who are you to judge? Different people have different reactions. You weren't even there. If they believed a person to be acting suspiciously and didn't have the confidence to approach him then the right thing to do would be to get help from someone in authority. The worst you could say about these women is that they over-reacted, which seems probable. It's not a big deal. They give you yogurt and take your money, they're not avatars of unimpeachable morality.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"

Last edited by baron; 23rd November 2018 at 03:01 PM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:00 PM   #294
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,196
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It is beyond disgusting.
Beyond disgusting. Goodness. We should have a scale by which we can judge this sort of behaviour. Is it better than terrorism or worse? OK, that's hyperbole, but I bet it's giving rape a run for its money, am I wrong?
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:41 PM   #295
Mr Salk
Thinker
 
Mr Salk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Yup. Keep on pushing the hypotheticals to their most ridiculous limits...all in order to excuse calling the police on someone sitting with their eyes open. I bow to your rhetorical superiority.
The non-yogurt eater was in a shop, not a public space. The girls called their manager, not the police. The manager watched him on cctv and called dispatch because an odd fellow was sitting and staring instead of eating yogurt.
He saw something, he said something. Just like he read on the bus signs.

Last edited by Mr Salk; 23rd November 2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: .
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:49 PM   #296
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
The non-yogurt eater was in a shop, not a public space. The girls called their manager, not the police. The manager watched him on cctv and called dispatch because an odd fellow was sitting and staring instead of eating yogurt.
He saw something, he said something. Just like he read on the bus signs.
The shop is a public place by many definitions, and often by law. There are limits on their ability to refuse service and there are accommodation requirements (such as accessibility to the disabled and the provision of bathrooms).

Also, calling the guy "odd" completely ignores who he was and why he was there - something that could have been found out in less than a minute if the employees of this establishment weren't so frightened by black men.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:54 PM   #297
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by baron View Post
If the latter, who are you to judge?
Human. There's a thing called the "reasonable person standard", which is commonly used when we judge the actions of others and as much as you might complain that it is a subjective measure, it nonetheless finds acceptable use even in a setting as demanding as court. When a person claims as a defense of their choice that they found a particular other person's behavior suspicious enough to act on in a way that harmed that other person, we really are allowed to judge whether that suspicion was reasonable even though "we weren't there".

The employees' own description of the man's actions is ridiculously banal and doesn't seem to suggest a crime of any sort is imminent. Calling the police was idiotic. There's nothing the least bit suspicious about playing on one's phone and occasionally looking around while sitting in public.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 23rd November 2018 at 03:55 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:57 PM   #298
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I answered your question, now answer mine.
This one?

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Follow through with it. A man arrives at the store together with a woman and child. They sit a bit apart. The man watches the pair and doesn't buy anything.

You are employed at the store. What do you do?
If I actually have suspicions then I will want to place priority on continued observation. What I really want to do is find visual evidence (data of sorts) that will allow me to cancel my suspicion without any interaction at all. I think I will look for visual evidence that the mother/son/guy are actually a social unit in spite of him sitting adjacent instead of next to them.

If I cannot cancel my suspicion without direct interaction I will probably think about what my manager has told me about what to do when there is an "issue" in the shop. I don't want to do something that he doesn't or wouldn't want me to do. I value the safety of others but I also value my own job. If anything can cancel my suspicion without interaction I will seize upon that and further observation will drop to the bottom of priority. A social unit of three should never know that I had any suspicions - because that is most ideal and I want that.

I will continue to explain what I would do if you tell me what he said to me or what happens next.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:02 PM   #299
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If I cannot cancel my suspicion without direct interaction I will probably think about what my manager has told me about what to do when there is an "issue" in the shop. I don't want to do something that he doesn't or wouldn't want me to do. I value the safety of others but I also value my own job. If anything can cancel my suspicion without interaction I will seize upon that and further observation will drop to the bottom of priority. A social unit of three should never know that I had any suspicions - because that is most ideal and I want that.
Do you think that this - or any other! - establishment's manager/owner had standing instructions that employees are not to interact with visitors without the manager/owner's express permission? Because if not, then even calling the manager about this guy was a wild overreaction [to absolutely nothing].

Someone who can't bring themselves to engage with other human beings in a polite and reasonable way should not be working in any retail setting...and probably needs psychiatric help.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:12 PM   #300
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
There's nothing the least bit suspicious about playing on one's phone and occasionally looking around while sitting in public.
The story doesn't say that he was looking around. The story strongly suggests that when he wasn't looking at his phone his gaze was directed.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:16 PM   #301
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The story doesn't say that he was looking around. The story strongly suggests that when he wasn't looking at his phone his gaze was directed.
I fail to see the police-attention-demanding importance in looking at one thing rather than multiple things while out in public.

Given what we objectively know to have been his reason for being there, it's not really credible that he was glaring at those people in a way that even someone without that information would interpret as menacing.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 23rd November 2018 at 04:19 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:20 PM   #302
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Do you think that this - or any other! - establishment's manager/owner had standing instructions that employees are not to interact with visitors without the manager/owner's express permission? Because if not, then even calling the manager about this guy was a wild overreaction [to absolutely nothing].
I specifically said that I would obey my manager's directive when there is an "issue" in the shop. Any manager ought to instruct on that. You have now posed a scenario where nothing is "issue".

If I have sustained suspicions of safety then that is an issue according to me. I don't want to interact unless my boss tells me to.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:27 PM   #303
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I fail to see the police-attention-demanding importance in looking at one thing rather than multiple things while out in public.

Given what we objectively know to have been his reason for being there, it's not really credible that he was glaring at those people in a way that even someone without that information would interpret as menacing.
Why are you using the term "one thing" instead of person or people? Why are you using the term "glaring" instead of looking?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:40 PM   #304
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why are you using the term "one thing" instead of person or people?
What difference does it make? Things in the surrounding environment may include people.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why are you using the term "glaring" instead of looking?
Because I had already used the word "looking"; too much repetition makes a composition read bland and formulaic.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:50 PM   #305
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
What difference does it make? Things in the surrounding environment may include people.

Because I had already used the word "looking"; too much repetition makes a composition read bland and formulaic.
Looking at "one thing" could be a fake potted plant instead of a specific person. It makes a difference doesn't it?

The term glare carries a connotation of meaningfully sustained single look and with menace. That's not in the story.

The story says keeps looking at a specific person(s). Not a thing and not a glare.

It does make a difference concerning how language is used.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:53 PM   #306
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Looking at "one thing" could be a fake potted plant instead of a specific person. It makes a difference doesn't it?
"No" was kind of my entire point, in case I hadn't made that clear.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The term glare carries a connotation of meaningfully sustained single look and with menace. That's not in the story.
So then again, we're left with these people panicking and getting the police involved over someone looking at someone. We're supposed to believe they were entirely reasonable in their decision that this person looking at another person was "suspicious".
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:00 PM   #307
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
So then again, we're left with these people panicking and getting the police involved over someone looking at someone. We're supposed to believe they were entirely reasonable in their decision that this person looking at another person was "suspicious".
Not just suspicious; I might find it suspicious if I saw someone walking up and down a residential street several times over the course of a day while taking notes, but I'd probably greet them and try to determine their purpose as opposed to immediately involving the authorities. No, this guy was considered so suspicious that he couldn't even be approached, the police had to be called, and they must not have believed his explanation of who he was and why he was there since they still asked him to leave.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:06 PM   #308
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
I don't know if these girls were really reasonable because I may have canceled any suspicion without interaction whereas they did not.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:30 PM   #309
Mr Salk
Thinker
 
Mr Salk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Someone who can't bring themselves to engage with other human beings in a polite and reasonable way should not be working in any retail setting...and probably needs psychiatric help.
Human beings who need psychiatric help can not be engaged in a polite and reasonable way.

This is not a people-watcher at the mall or library. This guy seemed to have driven to a strip mall yogurt-shop to sit alone and ogle the staff or customers. How peculiar..maybe the manager should weigh in? Once the police were called they had little recourse. They are not on the phone with the manager to ask his opinion, they just needed to move-along the non-customer and get on with the day.
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:39 PM   #310
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,614
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Human beings who need psychiatric help can not be engaged in a polite and reasonable way.

This is not a people-watcher at the mall or library. This guy seemed to have driven to a strip mall yogurt-shop to sit alone and ogle the staff or customers. How peculiar..maybe the manager should weigh in? Once the police were called they had little recourse. They are not on the phone with the manager to ask his opinion, they just needed to move-along the non-customer and get on with the day.
So what of the police? What is the justification for them asking the man to move along after they knew his court-sanctioned role? Racism is the only thing that makes sense.

And, as I said earlier, the retail staff seem far from suited to their job.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:52 PM   #311
Mr Salk
Thinker
 
Mr Salk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So what of the police? What is the justification for them asking the man to move along after they knew his court-sanctioned role? Racism is the only thing that makes sense.

And, as I said earlier, the retail staff seem far from suited to their job.
The police just did what they were called to do. This link includes the police report and 911 call. Judge for yourself, but I can't get a whiff of racism.

https://www.kirklandwa.gov/depart/PD..._s5_p24304.htm

Last edited by Mr Salk; 23rd November 2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: .
Mr Salk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:53 PM   #312
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Human beings who need psychiatric help can not be engaged in a polite and reasonable way.
Non-sequitur. There is no evidence that the man in question needed psychiatric help, nor can looking at people and/or things in a yogurt shop be considered symptomatic of any psychiatric pathology.

Quote:
This is not a people-watcher at the mall or library. This guy seemed to have driven to a strip mall yogurt-shop to sit alone and ogle the staff or customers.
You seem to be very certain of how he seemed. Were you there? Also, when someone "ogles," they generally do so with specificity, and the word itself indicates more than simple looks. Did any of the employees use the word "ogle" or did you just make that up, like you've been making up every inflammatory descriptor in your posts?

Quote:
Once the police were called they had little recourse. They are not on the phone with the manager to ask his opinion, they just needed to move-along the non-customer and get on with the day.
This is a bald-faced lie. The police could have easily told the employees that they should consider getting back to work and leaving these people alone unless they have policy barring paying customers being accompanied by someone who doesn't buy anything. Given that kind of suggestion, the employees and the manager almost certainly would have backed off and waited for the three people to leave when they were damn good and ready to leave, like any other customer in the place.

Instead, like so many US police officers who can't tell unreasonable from reasonable in even the simplest situations, they went ahead and enforced the shop's racist desire to kick the guy out.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:55 PM   #313
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 11,993
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Oh, I'm ahead of you, in terms of critical thinking.
I can't decide whether to say:

Fact not in evidence
or
No, you're the puppet.

So I'll go with both.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:01 PM   #314
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
There are some headlines now saying that police have apologized and others saying that Kirkland city employees will undergo bias training.

There is also a story with Ragland saying that apologies from the police and the shop aren't enough. He seems to want Cruz to be put out of business and for himself to be given enough money to buy the yogurt shop and two other restaurants that Cruz owns. Or something like that.

Originally Posted by Yahoo News
Since the incident on Nov. 7, Ragland and his family have barely slept. “Let me tell you what I think we should do, what is going to make me feel safer in this community, let me tell you what I think is going to inspire change,” the nine-year Air Force veteran said, according to My Northwest. “I think we need to make sure Ramon Cruz is unable to renew his business license here. And when the lease for this store is up, we need to make sure that Byron Ragland has the capital and resources to purchase this Menchie’s and the two other restaurants he owns in this community. That would be a good place to start. That would make me feel a little bit better. That would be a look in the right direction and that is how you punish white supremacy and anti-black behavior — you hit it hard and you hit it fast right in its pockets.”

Ragland said, “They are gonna say he should be able to go on with his life. You know what I say? I say you cannot allow white supremacy to scurry away in the corner and lick its wounds and regroup. You got to keep your foot on white supremacy’s neck. You got to grind your boot into white supremacy’s throat until you hear it stop breathing. And when it’s looking up at you begging for mercy, you show it none. Because over the last 400 years, it hasn’t shown you any. Those are my intentions, that’s my agenda. I ask: How many allies do I still have left?...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...43109971423556
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:02 PM   #315
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,614
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
The police just did what they were called to do. This link includes the police report and 911 call. Judge for yourself, but I can't get a whiff of racism.

https://www.kirklandwa.gov/depart/PD..._s5_p24304.htm
In what jurisdiction anywhere in the world are police required to do what someone calls them to do? I know that in Australia the most likely outcome, if the police attended at all (they have a good grasp of priorities), would be the staff and the manager would have been lectured about wasting police time.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:08 PM   #316
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
In what jurisdiction anywhere in the world are police required to do what someone calls them to do? I know that in Australia the most likely outcome, if the police attended at all (they have a good grasp of priorities), would be the staff and the manager would have been lectured about wasting police time.
In my experience, the police are similarly likely to reproach a complainant if they find no evidence of wrongdoing and consider the complaint unfounded or petty. Of course, my experience has been entirely white people calling the cops on white people.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:09 PM   #317
p0lka
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,056
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So what of the police? What is the justification for them asking the man to move along after they knew his court-sanctioned role? Racism is the only thing that makes sense.

And, as I said earlier, the retail staff seem far from suited to their job.
It's private property, if the owner does not want someone on their property then I suppose the police just told him he had to leave.

It's not really the polices' job to question why, it's a clear case of someone on private property when the owner wants them off their private property.
The owner might be doing it for racist reasons, but the police don't need a reason other than it's private property and the owner wants them off it. It's part of their job.

The police shouldn't have been called though unless the owner told the guy to leave and he refused, then it might become a police issue.

Last edited by p0lka; 23rd November 2018 at 07:12 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:14 PM   #318
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 11,993
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
The owner was not on the "hot seat" when he told dispatch about bathroom junkies and s previous robbery.
True, thanks for the correction.

Quote:
And if you know the PNW ...
Lived here for decades. Had an office in Kirkland for several years. Stayed in a hotel down the street from the yogurt shop for several months. You?

Quote:
you know the scourge of meth and crime in the communities. Every public bathroom in the state is on lockdown, and needle receptacles are as common as hand dryers. No, I don't have instalation statistics, because I am making a sweeping generalization to strengthen my argument. Just like the robbery occurring "many years ago" instead of 5 years.
Why? Your credibility is already running a deficit, and this doesn't help.

Speaking of which: You've been busted making stuff up out of whole cloth twice now. I'd appreciate an acknowledgement/retraction. Otherwise the discussion starts to feel like a game of whack-a-mole, moving from one Mr Salk falsehood to the next without correcting the record.

Quote:
The reasonable assumption is that robbery is a forceful threatening act regardless of weapon choice.
Non sequitur.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.

Last edited by varwoche; 23rd November 2018 at 07:23 PM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:16 PM   #319
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 21,059
The police report doesn't say that Ragland was told to leave or was asked to leave. The mother told the cop that they were all there for a visitation. Cop asked for more information and the three just left the shop.

That's what it says. What really happened? Was that it and the report is factual?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:18 PM   #320
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,006
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
It's private property, if the owner does not want someone on their property then I suppose the police just told him he had to leave.

It's not really the polices' job to question why, it's a clear case of someone on private property when the owner wants them off their private property.
The owner might be doing it for racist reasons, but the police don't need a reason other than it's private property and the owner wants them off it. It's part of their job.

The police shouldn't have been called though unless the owner told the guy to leave and he refused, then it might become a police issue.
We've been over this since Starbucks. Police do not have any duty to automatically act as bouncers for any random business. Granted people don't have a legal right to stay indefinitely on other peoples property but there is no requirement for that to be immediately and unquestioningly enforced physically by officers. In many parts of the world officers would have tried to facilitate communication ascertained that nothing threatening was going on and advised the business to let them finish their yoghurt. Since this is, charitably, a misunderstanding, there would be no reason for a well informed business to wish to kick this man out, and no reason for officers to invoke the force of law when a quick conversation should clear things up.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.