ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:59 AM   #81
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Look, not even North Sentinelese police officers can be trained to reliably shoot a fish out of a delusional religious fanatic's hand, and you expect a child to do it? Pshaw!
But this is no ordinary fish. This one is laying perfectly still on the sand. An ordinary fish is swimming. This fish is a god or a demon. Either way the proper response is to shoot it with the arrow.
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:00 AM   #82
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A well-meaning Christian man is dead, and members of ISF just crack jokes about the retard.
If only he had had a gun.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:06 AM   #83
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm expecting an incident where some busybody or group tries to send a drone to the island.
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:26 AM   #84
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
In what conceivable way, apart from the fact that they both died?
It was by a group, in a remote location, and were hostile to outsiders.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:39 AM   #85
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This is why we need bow and arrow control.
The only thing that can stop an assault by a bad guy with a fish is a good guy with a bow and arrow!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:58 AM   #86
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

There's a memoir by a 19th century sailor who washed up on one of the Solomon Islands and spent several years as a slave in an indigenous village. He managed to escape after some time, but later returned as an interpreter on an Australian recruiting ship.
https://www.amazon.com/White-Headhun.../dp/0786712562
First heard about him in a video by youtuber Lindybeige.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:28 PM   #87
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
- Yeah we're way past the "Convert the Heathens" stage in our civilizations development I like to think.

- Having said that having in 2018 an official policy of "Yeah there's just this island full of people that will kill you if you go there, so we just leave them be" seems... off to me.
I don't blame these people one bit. They're smart.

We humans do have a rather spotty track record of "discovering" new lands and civilizations, then destroying them. It's what we do.

This idiot missionary is a perfect example. "Hi, I am here to change your culture you dumb natives!" These are exactly the types of people to watch out for. Maybe they watch CNN and know what type of people we are.

They obviously know the value of a secure border. Why let intruders change their culture and way of life? And kill them.

Last edited by mgidm86; 22nd November 2018 at 01:30 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 03:59 PM   #88
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
His bible stopped an arrow; it's a miracle! Shame about all the other arrows really.
Definitely a missed opportunity. He could have fined out on that for the rest of his life. Hmmm...maybe he did.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 04:07 PM   #89
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
The only thing that can stop an assault by a bad guy with a fish is a good guy with a bow and arrow a bigger, badder, legal fish!
Helping.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 04:53 PM   #90
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
- Having said that having in 2018 an official policy of "Yeah there's just this island full of people that will kill you if you go there, so we just leave them be" seems... off to me.
Well let's explore that for a moment.

Here are the facts: the tribe will actively attack anyone who lands with lethal force, without exception. Even the children will attack, as most recently demonstrated. Their language is completely unknown, even to the tribes on neighboring islands, meaning no direct communication is possible, in person or from a distance. It has been made clear over multiple attempts that the tribe does not accept "gifts" as evidence of friendly intentions (indeed, it's never been clear that the tribe thinks of the objects in terms of "gifts", or are even familiar with that concept in theory).

North Sentinel is roughly the size of Manhattan; a large island in the context of the single tribe that occupies it but as far as the larger world goes, it's a tiny island with no real strategic, political, or economic value lost to anyone by leaving it off-limits. Still, you express reservations about whether enforced isolation is the best response to this dilemma. For the time being, let us ignore the matter of disease transmission/lack of immunity, or assume that could be mitigated in theory: what do you propose as a better way of dealing with this situation?

Last edited by Checkmite; 22nd November 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:31 PM   #91
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

Here are the facts: the tribe will actively attack anyone who lands with lethal force, without exception. Even the children will attack, as most recently demonstrated. Their language is completely unknown, even to the tribes on neighboring islands, meaning no direct communication is possible, in person or from a distance. It has been made clear over multiple attempts that the tribe does not accept "gifts" as evidence of friendly intentions (indeed, it's never been clear that the tribe thinks of the objects in terms of "gifts", or are even familiar with that concept in theory).

North Sentinel is roughly the size of Manhattan; a large island in the context of the single tribe that occupies it but as far as the larger world goes, it's a tiny island with no real strategic, political, or economic value lost to anyone by leaving it off-limits. Still, you express reservations about whether enforced isolation is the best response to this dilemma. For the time being, let us ignore the matter of disease transmission/lack of immunity, or assume that could be mitigated in theory: what do you propose as a better way of dealing with this situation?
Nuke it from space, it's the only way to be sure.
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:33 PM   #92
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

As you note, it really has no value. So why the damn need to go there?

Other than to exploit the people, that is....
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:13 PM   #93
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

No need to but - if there was a safe way to do it - it would be nice be able to interact with them a bit to provide them with more extensive information about the outside world so that they could make a more informed decision about whether and how they want to interact with us. Since I don't think there is a safe way, though, it's best to just leave them alone.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:59 PM   #94
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Identify who owns what parcel of land. Allow that individual to sell their share if they desire.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:59 PM   #95
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Identify who owns what parcel of land. Allow that individual to sell their share if they desire.
You really think they have a concept of individual land ownership? Tell you what, why don't you go there and try to buy some land, and let us know how it goes.

Or perhaps, as usual, you're just pulling silly responses out of your butt.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 22nd November 2018 at 10:01 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:20 PM   #96
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There is a certain irony in a missionary getting a Darwin award
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:14 AM   #97
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Identify who owns what parcel of land.
Impossible without going there and interacting with the population, which we have seen the population are perfectly happy to kill to prevent.

Allow that individual to sell their share if they desire.
I suspect this is already the case.

So you've proposed one impossible thing and one unnecessary thing.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:41 AM   #98
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
No need to but - if there was a safe way to do it - it would be nice be able to interact with them a bit to provide them with more extensive information about the outside world so that they could make a more informed decision about whether and how they want to interact with us.
That's actually why Germany bans home-schooling; or at least one current argument.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:44 AM   #99
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Allow me...
I don't care that trying to buy real estate on the island would be impossible due to the murderous intent of the natives, or that it would result in the death of the entire tribe by disease. Practical considerations are beneath me. Libertarianism doesn't have to work in order to work. I also don't have to support anything I say and I don't have any opinions.
Why?
Why?
How?
*insert inane suggestion here*

So, back to the thread...
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm expecting an incident where some busybody or group tries to send a drone to the island.
This would be... interesting. I imagine the drone would get shot down pretty quickly though, and it would certainly be against the spirit of the prohibition.

I wonder what stories they tell of the world outside the island... but we'll probably never know.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:26 AM   #100
Worm
Master Poster

Interesting information:

Quote:
There's been a lot of talk about the missionary killed by the natives of North Sentinel Island. They're probably so aggressive because of this weirdo, Maurice Vidal Portman. So here's a big thread about this creep and some facts from my decade-long obsession with the island.
https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/s...989632/photo/1

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:09 AM   #101
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You really think they have a concept of individual land ownership? Tell you what, why don't you go there and try to buy some land, and let us know how it goes.

Or perhaps, as usual, you're just pulling silly responses out of your butt.
Their opinion on property rights is irrelevant.
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:21 AM   #102
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Allow me...
I don't care that trying to buy real estate on the island would be impossible due to the murderous intent of the natives, or that it would result in the death of the entire tribe by disease. Practical considerations are beneath me. Libertarianism doesn't have to work in order to work. I also don't have to support anything I say and I don't have any opinions.
Why?
Why?
How?
*insert inane suggestion here*

So, back to the thread...
This would be... interesting. I imagine the drone would get shot down pretty quickly though, and it would certainly be against the spirit of the prohibition.

I wonder what stories they tell of the world outside the island... but we'll probably never know.
This tribe is a libertarian dream. They are permitted the aggressive enforcement of their property rights we should all be permitted.

Plus, they are under Indian jurisdiction. The next time someone tells me the government has to get involved, I can point to India's reach over north sentinel.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 23rd November 2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:17 AM   #103
Wildy
Adelaidean

No need to but - if there was a safe way to do it - it would be nice be able to interact with them a bit to provide them with more extensive information about the outside world so that they could make a more informed decision about whether and how they want to interact with us. Since I don't think there is a safe way, though, it's best to just leave them alone.
At this point they would know plenty about the world. We have fancy boats and helicopters and in spite of that they don't care.
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:54 AM   #104
Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
These islanders seem to be racist which would make them pond scum. We are not supposed to simply ignore and avoid racists. They are to be converted to being non-racist or maybe should be imprisoned or something.

How can we just let racists be racists?
If they are willing to murder anyone regardless of race, creed, or color, can they really be said to be racist?
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:39 AM   #105
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Random View Post
If they are willing to murder anyone regardless of race, creed, or color, can they really be said to be racist?
Killing anyone who "isn't us" might be racism or xenophobia. But then what we commonly call racism in our world might be xenophobia or that the terms can be interchangeable.

There could be a fundamental human nature which is common to both the Sentinelese and everyone else in the world.
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:57 AM   #106
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Certainly there is no suggestion at all that that they are racist. This is their land as they see it and they are simply protecting their borders. They just have a particularly vigorous form of entry/passport control. Which, given the history of contacts between small tribes and the larger, outside world, appears to be a good idea.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:00 AM   #107
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Certainly there is no suggestion at all that that they are racist. This is their land as they see it and they are simply protecting their borders. They just have a particularly vigorous form of entry/passport control. Which, given the history of contacts between small tribes and the larger, outside world, appears to be a good idea.
I've heard that ICE is attempting to persuade them to join as they seem to be "can do" people.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:04 AM   #108
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Killing anyone who "isn't us" might be racism or xenophobia. But then what we commonly call racism in our world might be xenophobia or that the terms can be interchangeable.

There could be a fundamental human nature which is common to both the Sentinelese and everyone else in the world.
Sure, and when you're a stone age hunter gatherer tribe that avoids contact with other humans, that works fine.
Meanwhile, the rest of us have become so interdependent and overpopulated that 'protect the tribe, kill The Other' isn't the best strategy for maintaining our current societies anymore.

But go ahead, keep trolling the straw man liberals. I'm sure you've managed to trigger someone, somewhere.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:19 AM   #109
Civet
Graduate Poster

Wouldn't this missionary have had some knowledge of the risk of disease transmission? Was he just willing to run the risk of killing a bunch of the islanders in order to spread the good word?
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:23 AM   #110
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't this missionary have had some knowledge of the risk of disease transmission? Was he just willing to run the risk of killing a bunch of the islanders in order to spread the good word?
Death from disease is nothing compared to the eternal damnation every dead member of tribe is currently enduring, allegedly.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:25 AM   #111
epeeist
Critical Thinker

It makes no difference to what rights I assign the individual.
From memory about articles about relatively uncontacted groups, there are some that do things like murder unwanted children, murder boys who dress like girls by burying them alive (I think that was a group in the Amazon?), etc. I think one person who rescued a buried child has been banned by the Brazilian government from returning to the area...

Now, should the Brazilian government - as I believe some anthropologists and politicians etc. have argued - allow Brazilian children to be murdered like this in the name of non-interference? What about someone dying from an extremely painful disease to which there's an easy cure, are observers to merely document the course of pain and suffering?

There's a huge difference between informed isolation and ignorant isolation. When there are groups within one's own country who do things that violate severe moral and legal norms, like child murder, to me that justifies intervention even at the risk of destroying their culture. In part because I'm not a moral relativist. But even if I were, I see the laws protecting people in a country should apply to all, not carve out, oh, it's politically inconvenient to protect these people, so we won't.

Now, this doesn't directly relate to an adult deliberately contacting the Andamans knowing the danger and his motivations. But it does relate to, to what extent is leaving groups alone actually unprincipled? In Canada there was a group in Bountiful B.C. that for years "married" polygamously and sexually assaulted (since too young to legally consent to marriage or sex) females, including lots of pregnancies (so no lack of proof...). But for years, decades even, the BC government did nothing. That was an extreme religious group, but it's the same kind of thinking, ignore what's going on in the name of not interfering with religion or culture. In other contexts I've read about abused women in Indigenous native communities not being adequately protected, either or both because authorities don't adequately protect them, or because the focus is on not separating the assaulter from their home and group.
epeeist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:31 AM   #112
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

While modern society does have a track record of exploitation and bad actions, there may be rational/moral reasons to want to interact with them.

Not all of modern society is a cesspool of depravity and exploitation. Interactions with the outside world might provide them with assistance (e.g. medical care, disaster recovery) when needed.

Plus, we don't really know the structure of their society, and its possible that some individuals on the island are treated poorer than others and would want to leave if given the chance. (I have no reason to think that's the case, but without finding out more about them we can't know.)

Anthropologists may also find it useful (in an academic sense) to learn more about a tribe that has been pretty uncontaminated from outside influences.

That said, whatever benefits that could be provided by interacting with them are probably not worth the risk (potential harm to the natives from diseases or commercial exploitation; risk of death to westerners making contact.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:40 AM   #113
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post
That's actually why Germany bans home-schooling; or at least one current argument.
And why Starfleet has a Prime Directive.

Here are the facts: the tribe will actively attack anyone who lands with lethal force, without exception. Even the children will attack, as most recently demonstrated.
That's what happens when the Chief pushes his "Make Andamans Great Again!" agenda.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:48 AM   #114
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We know next to nothing about this island and its people. It may not be a single unified tribe everywhere on that island. There could be something like a "North Sentinelese" and a "South Sentinelese" who are at perpetual brutal warfare with each other.

The arrows might not simply be for hunting animals for food. They could also be for human offensive and defense happening on Sentinel Island.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:56 AM   #115
crescent
Master Poster

One person who is up on vaccines does not carry much risk of disease transmission.

The risk of course will increase if more people visit, and if those visits are uncontrolled, if people who are not immunized and not getting regular medical care get in.

But unless he has measles when he is went to the island, he won't give it to them. Unless he has diphtheria when he visited, he won't pass that on either, and so on with all the other pathogens.

I mean, he might have been ill with something when they killed him, but probably not.

Last edited by crescent; 23rd November 2018 at 11:19 AM.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:57 AM   #116
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

We gain nothing by forcing contact with them, except puncture wounds. It's not like Japan where we knew what riches and history (and the Japanese had been making contact themselves throughout history, unlike these folk) where some visitors had made it in and the language was at least somewhat known. They've had a couple points of contact with their own people, have decided they have nothing to gain from us, and enforce that at every opportunity. We will lose nothing by respecting their wishes and leaving them the **** alone. Perhaps, if we stop buzzing them and throwing fish at children, they may even forget we exist and contact can be made.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:07 AM   #117
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Their lethal defense of the shoreline might have foundations in ancient times when people from other islands (possibly nearby) arrived as lethal invaders. They kill literally anybody because of what the ancient Andamanese did to them.

Last edited by William Parcher; 23rd November 2018 at 11:08 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:09 AM   #118
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Filling the planes and drones with spears and arrows probably doesn't have as deep of roots in history as doing the same to people. Even if, what kind of argument is that for forcing contact? "we must civilise you"?
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:10 AM   #119
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I mean, he might have been ill with something when they killed him, but probably not.
He did seem to end up with a serious case of arrows.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:12 AM   #120
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Filling the planes and drones with spears and arrows probably doesn't have as deep of roots in history as doing the same to people. Even if, what kind of argument is that for forcing contact? "we must civilise you"?
To bring them all the great things society can offer. Antibiotics, farming, plumbing, massive wealth inequality, purchased politicians, gated communities. That sort of thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events