ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:26 AM   #1
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

60% of Brits believe at least one conspiracy theory

Some fascinating numbers here, especially the contrast between Leave/Remain Brexit voters in the UK and Trump/Clinton voters in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...iracy-theories

Quote:
Sixty per cent of British people believe at least one conspiracy theory about how the country is run or the veracity of information they have been given, a major new study has found, part of a pattern of deep distrust of authority that has become widespread across Europe and the US.

In the UK, people who supported Brexit were considerably more likely to give credence to conspiracy theories than those who opposed it, with 71% of leave voters believing at least one theory compared with 49% of remain voters.

Almost half (47%) of leave voters believed the government had deliberately concealed the truth about how many immigrants live in the UK, versus 14% of remain voters. A striking 31% of leave voters believed that Muslim immigration was part of a wider plot to make Muslims the majority in Britain, a conspiracy theory that originated in French far-right circles that was known as the “great replacement”. The comparable figure for remain voters was 6%.

The disparities between those who voted for Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in the US was even more stark, where 47% of Trump voters believed that man-made global warming was a hoax, compared with 2.3% of Clinton voters.
Other countries:

Quote:
Of the countries surveyed, Sweden was the least credulous of conspiracy theories, with 52% believing one or more of the theories polled by the researchers, as opposed to 85% for Hungary. In the US that figure was 64% and in France 76%.
I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was this bad. I'm not sure how democracy can survive when voters not only don't make any effort to ensure they are properly informed, but gleefully seize on any old nonsense as long as it appeals to their prejudices.
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:31 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I'm honestly not at all surprised.

Unfortunately.
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
fagin
Philosopher

Official statistic. 61.984638463462894% of people are a bit thick. Most of the rest are just dozy.
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:07 PM   #4
baron
Philosopher

I heard a dozen years back that some of these far rightists believed there was a conspiracy that went right to the top of the police, social services, CPS and Home Office to cover up the rapes of thousands of girls across the entire country. LOL! Those nutty BREXITeers!
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:09 PM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Some fascinating numbers here, especially the contrast between Leave/Remain Brexit voters in the UK and Trump/Clinton voters in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...iracy-theories

Other countries:

I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was this bad. I'm not sure how democracy can survive when voters not only don't make any effort to ensure they are properly informed, but gleefully seize on any old nonsense as long as it appeals to their prejudices.
But we don't have a starting point so we don't know if this is an improvement or vice-a-versa.
Old 23rd November 2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Information Analyst
Philosopher

A lot seem to be captured by the rather vague, "even though we live in what’s called a democracy, a few people will always run things in this country anyway."

Last edited by Information Analyst; 23rd November 2018 at 03:40 PM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Yeah. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's an accurate observation of how politics works.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:43 PM   #8
Cain
Straussian

Over 70% of Britons want to keep the monarchy. Idiots.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:59 PM   #9
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I heard a dozen years back that some of these far rightists believed there was a conspiracy that went right to the top of the police, social services, CPS and Home Office to cover up the rapes of thousands of girls across the entire country. LOL! Those nutty BREXITeers!
This post is why this site needs a facepalm emoticon.
Old 24th November 2018, 07:14 AM   #10
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
This post is why this site needs a facepalm emoticon.
I think the assumption is that members are bright enough to put across a valid argument instead of cartoons. Clearly a poor assumption.
Old 24th November 2018, 04:14 PM   #11
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
A lot seem to be captured by the rather vague, "even though we live in whatís called a democracy, a few people will always run things in this country anyway."
Isn't that how a representative democracy is supposed to work?
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 04:58 PM   #12
chrispy
Muse

I think the assumption is that members are bright enough to put across a valid argument instead of cartoons. Clearly a poor assumption.
Ask the laughing dog...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 05:39 AM   #13
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Yes, but it sounds sinister so you can finagle votes from the 61.984638463462894 % of people who are a bit thick.
Old 25th November 2018, 08:38 AM   #14
catsmate
No longer the 1

And this is why universal suffrage isn't such a good idea.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 04:28 AM   #15
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Yes, that's where the vagueness and subjectiveness of the question undermines the survey.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 05:30 AM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I heard that 75% of them believe the CT about the ring leader and his 12 apostles.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 11:42 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm not surprised the belief in wacky conspiracy theories is widespread, it's precisely the purpose of fluoridating the water supply with mind control drugs.
Old 27th November 2018, 12:25 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Does the article explain what a "conspiracy theory" is, and what it means to say someone believes in one?

Do 60% of Brits believe in something like the Apollo Hoax? Or do 60% of Brits believe in something like "the government doesn't always tell us everything, and is also probably influenced by interests not visible to the public"? Or do 60% of Brits believe a wide range of things, not nearly so easy to report on as the Guardian would have you believe?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2018, 12:41 PM   #19
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Does the article explain what a "conspiracy theory" is, and what it means to say someone believes in one?

Do 60% of Brits believe in something like the Apollo Hoax? Or do 60% of Brits believe in something like "the government doesn't always tell us everything, and is also probably influenced by interests not visible to the public"? Or do 60% of Brits believe a wide range of things, not nearly so easy to report on as the Guardian would have you believe?
It feels like you didn't actually read the article. The article had example questions in the article. eg: "The truth about the harmful effects of vaccines is being deliberately hidden from the public" but you can also review the questions in their nation-specific versions here:

Survey: [YGC Conspiracy Theories]
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:48 AM   #20
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I'm not sure that not believing government numbers qualifies as a conspiracy theory.

Governments routinely misrepresent numbers about inflation, unemployment etc. Usually by changing the meaning of 'employed' (part-time Uber driver? Congratulations, you're employed!), or changing what consumer goods are measured vs buying power (less food, more cheap Chinese imports).
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:16 AM   #21
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I'm not sure that not believing government numbers qualifies as a conspiracy theory.

Governments routinely misrepresent numbers about inflation, unemployment etc. Usually by changing the meaning of 'employed' (part-time Uber driver? Congratulations, you're employed!), or changing what consumer goods are measured vs buying power (less food, more cheap Chinese imports).
It's not a question of denial of numbers, more a denial of it ever happening and a refusal to even acknowledge literally millions of rapes of young girls over a 30 year period. If that's not a conspiracy of the highest order I don't know what is.
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:20 AM   #22
fagin
Philosopher

Thousands last week, now literally millions? This should be stopped.
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:38 AM   #23
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
What are you talking about "thousands last week"? Is that supposed to even mean something?
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:40 AM   #24
fagin
Philosopher

Last week.

Today.

It's not a question of denial of numbers, more a denial of it ever happening and a refusal to even acknowledge literally millions of rapes of young girls over a 30 year period. If that's not a conspiracy of the highest order I don't know what is.
What are you talking about "thousands last week"? Is that supposed to even mean something?
You wrote it.
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:52 AM   #25
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Itís just an attempt to show what a good thing racism is. The numbers donít really matter to the target audience.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:57 AM   #26
baron
Philosopher

Last week.

Today.

You wrote it.
Yes I did.

"...to cover up the rapes of thousands of girls..."

"...millions of rapes of young girls..."

Maybe you haven't been here long enough to realise I'm pretty careful with my words.
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:58 AM   #27
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Itís just an attempt to show what a good thing racism is. The numbers donít really matter to the target audience.
Better wait longer next time, to allow the comment you applaud to get busted.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:09 AM   #28
fagin
Philosopher

Yes I did.

"...to cover up the rapes of thousands of girls..."

"...millions of rapes of young girls..."

Maybe you haven't been here long enough to realise I'm pretty careful with my words.
I will note for future reference that you are very careful with words, even when you make stuff up.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:10 AM   #29
baron
Philosopher

I will note for future reference that you are very careful with words, even when you make stuff up.
Sorry, I can't hear you from the bottom of the hole you just dug.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:18 AM   #30
fagin
Philosopher

Okiedokie.

I'm sure someone as careful as you has reasonable support for 'millions'. Or you wouldn't have made it up said it.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:21 AM   #31
baron
Philosopher

Okiedokie.

I'm sure someone as careful as you has reasonable support for 'millions'. Or you wouldn't have made it up said it.
Yes, it's called basic maths. When 1400 girls are raped, some up to 30 times a night, in a single town, and that pattern repeats over a period of 30 years in dozens of towns up and down the country then it's pretty much common sense. But I guess if child rape apology is your bag it's all made up and never happened.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:24 AM   #32
fagin
Philosopher

As I said, you made it up.

Insulting me doesn't make it correct. Nasty situation, but your hyperbole doesn't help.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:35 AM   #33
baron
Philosopher

As I said, you made it up.
Yep, I called it. I'm not insulting you, you made the statement, it's on you.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:39 AM   #34
fagin
Philosopher

You make **** up, and I'm a 'child rape apologist' if I think your figures might be inaccurate.

Have a nice life.
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:52 AM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Just not worth it.

Last edited by theprestige; 3rd December 2018 at 10:32 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:53 AM   #36
fagin
Philosopher

I can count...

If, but, maybe.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:08 AM   #37
baron
Philosopher

You make **** up, and I'm a 'child rape apologist' if I think your figures might be inaccurate.

Have a nice life.
The only person proven to have made up stuff in this thread is you, who asserted that I'd changed my opinion as to the numbers and then, when I showed you were wrong, disputed my figures without being able to suggest why they might be wrong.
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:13 AM   #38
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Thousands of victims. Each one victimized multiple times. If 2,000 people are raped on average 1,000 times, that's millions of rapes on thousands of victims.
You would probably get over a million rapes in just Rotherham and Telford. Then you can multiply that many times over for Oxford, Manchester, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Peterborough, Ayelsbury, Keighley, Bristol, London, Birmingham, Leeds, Leicester, Slough, Skipton and so the list goes on.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events