ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:18 PM   #81
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Ukraine has banned Russian men between the ages of 16 and 60 from entering the country. President Petro Poroshenko cited fears of an invasion similar to Russia's seizure and annexation of the Black Sea peninsula of Crimea in 2014 as the logic behind his latest security measures.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/europ...ntl/index.html

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 03:11 PM   #82
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yeah, I know it is kinda hyperbolic, but my point is that it would be interesting to see how the Russians responded to a perfectly legitimate visit by someone they didn't feel like they could bully with the same impunity.
Well as it happens... there's a recent example of just that.

NATO sent a four ship fleet into the Black sea and up to the area around the Crimea. Russia followed the force with a ship of their own, which is fairly standard, and then conducted a show of air power, which is not.

HMS Duncan could have shot every one of those planes down with ease, of course. But then if it was a real fight they would have been firing missiles from long range, not flying past in close proximity to say hello.
Old 30th November 2018, 04:39 PM   #83
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Just to get this back onto topic beyond the clueless naval war posts, what came out of the parliament brawl was a limited martial law to some regions, for 30 days, not 60 days in all of the country as Porky wanted. These regions are virtually identical to the regions that voted for the President who was unseated in a violent coup in 2014. And already some regional elections have been cancelled. Google it, I won't do your homework.

And the guy who sits at the "speaker of the house" position and manages all of this, is A REAL NAZI. Not a "Oh he's orange and says silly things" nazi, a REAL ONE.

Scott Horton has interviewed Max Blumenthal on this a couple of days ago, and I highly recommend you take the hour to listen to this before your dare to utter the next dull statement about something once upon a time in the book I've read. Because this is no joke and you are complicit in the outcome if you don't wise up to the facts that are easy to research and in addition I rub under your nose. Thanks.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 30th November 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 06:20 PM   #84
cmikes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I really don't think the ones who poat here are paid shills....we are too small a fry.
I think the Putin fanboys hwe are just that people , who for some warped ideological reason, support Putin. That many of them are on the far left end of the spectrum is interesintg..maybe they are of the "Putin is a Communist at heart" school of thought.
I think the term is "useful idiots".

The useful idiots always remind me of the joke about Owen Lattimore that if he wasn't getting paid by the Soviets, he was being cheated.

Last edited by cmikes; 30th November 2018 at 06:21 PM.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 03:35 PM   #85
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Channel 4 in the UK has been running a good documentary about Duncan's visit to the Black Sea and Syria. Tonight's episode dealt with the air-raid. Sorry if you can't see it where you are:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/warship
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 06:39 AM   #86
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's also linked to quadraginta's mention of Liechtenstein, which explains quite clearly what he means, and which I quoted in my reply. Is there something I could have done to make that connection clearer?

The problem is one of bad antecedents.

"But I don't recall anyone making disparaging comparisons to Liechtenstein when Obama washed his hands of that commitment a few years back..."

The use of "that" appears to point back to the most recent proper noun, which would be "Liechtenstein", when you actually expected people to link it back to "Ukraine". Sure, careful reading of the paragraph can allow someone to parse out your intended meaning, but it would have been better to make the reference to Ukraine explicit.

Quote:
Because it seems like one of your failings here was not actually taking the time to read my post (including the quoted material from quadraginta). And that seems kind of rude, to me.

And when multiple people are clearly reading it incorrectly (and I did that as well, btw), it's also rude to not even consider the possibility that you just wrote a bad sentence, and take a minute to fix it, rather than just berating people for not understanding you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events