ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2018, 11:29 AM   #1
crescent
Master Poster

When Rape Kits are Treated like Trash

CNN has run a number of stories today detailing the destruction of Rape kits, often with little to no investigation and in cases where the statute of limitations has not run out.

Destroyed

Rape victims endure invasive exams to get justice(video)

How rape cases went wrong

Where police failed rape victims

4-year-old girl 'absolutely robbed' of justice

‘They treated me like trash’

Victim: Destroying my rape kit tells me I don't matter

Good evidence gone

Lots there, much of it text but video as well. I haven't gone through all of it, but some things that stand out:
  • Some police departments have the victim sign a form indicating whether or not they want the assailant charged, often the same day as the assault before any investigation has taken place. That can stop the investigation, leading to destruction of physical evidence, leaving the crime much more difficult to investigate if the victim later changes his or her mind.
  • Other departments stop investigating and close the case unsolved if the victim does not respond to written communication within 10 days. That leads to tests being destroyed before the statute of limitations has expired, such that the investigation cannot resume if the victim later wants to work with police.

Last edited by crescent; 29th November 2018 at 11:54 AM.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Some police departments have the victim sign a form indicating whether or not they want the assailant, often the same day as the assault before any investigation has taken place.
Sorry, whether or not they want the assailant what?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 11:55 AM   #3
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sorry, whether or not they want the assailant what?
Charged. I make a lot of typos, I think I need an editor.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 12:07 PM   #4
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Bah too much money to waste on a unimportant crime of course.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Charged. I make a lot of typos, I think I need an editor.
Tell you what. Send every post to me and I'll make sure to... adjust them... to my liking.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 07:32 AM   #6
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The local St. Louis County police had to “take over” policing in one of our rather notorious municipalities, Wellston, as it had been found that none of the police in the town were qualified under state law.
In investigating the department property, they found a typical “yard barn” structure that was being used as the evidence locker. It contained dozens of untested rape kits dating back years...
This has been reported on NPR as well, it’s a widespread situation.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 07:57 AM   #7
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Robbins, IL, which achieved national notice for the shooting by Police from neighboring Midlothian of a security guard, had before acheived local notoriety for another outcome related to it's lack of a full-fledged police force:

170 rape kits, no investigations until Cook County stepped in to seek justice

Quote:
Smith said 170 rape kits were found in possession of the Robbins Police Department, many of which had been sent off for processing, but none of which were being actively investigated. Smith said she has a hard time comprehending why it took so long for the department to ask for help from Cook County. She said Robbins has "a significant lack of resources, a part-time police department and these sexual assaults that went unchecked for decades."
Old 1st December 2018, 09:48 PM   #8
oopsboom
Student

And if they do get around to processing them, make sure to use a hospital that can fraudulently bill the rape victim for the work.

Nothing says "We're here to help." like a collections agency hounding you after you've been sexually assaulted.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...-kits-59508575
oopsboom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:53 AM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And people wonder why rapes are not reported more often. I mean really it doesn't help the victim very often so why should they bother?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:56 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//side question//

How long would the.... errr "shelf life" of the evidence in a rape kit be? I mean I'm assuming at least some of it is... bodily fluids that aren't going to last forever.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:02 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//side question//

How long would the.... errr "shelf life" of the evidence in a rape kit be? I mean I'm assuming at least some of it is... bodily fluids that aren't going to last forever.
As we have gotten DNA out of decades old evidence I think contamination would be a greater concern that degradation over time.
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:11 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
As we have gotten DNA out of decades old evidence I think contamination would be a greater concern that degradation over time.
You're probably right.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events