ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:15 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
This is a very white person answer.
How would a non-white person answer?
Old 30th November 2018, 01:15 PM   #42
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again what's even being argued? Racism is over reported? Too big of a deal? Being misused for... reasons?

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:16 PM   #43
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The Sun, Daily Mail, etc are not the BBC.
True, but the BBC has a truly enormous digital media presence. Then there's the Guardian, Daily Mirror, etc. The overall media bias is well to the left.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:16 PM   #44
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
How would a non-white person answer?
Not like that
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:17 PM   #45
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again what's even being argued? Racism is over reported? Too big of a deal? Being misused for... reasons?
I'm pretty sure that whilst people on here don't generally agree with my opinions none have any genuine problem understanding my English. Be one of them.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:19 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... And calling a white person "racist" works well to control them. So why would you hand someone else your greatest weapon?
To control them? Could you elaborate, I'm not seeing any control in the exchange.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:19 PM   #47
Mr Salk
Thinker

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Then came the reaction, and the coverage. The news media played the video repeatedly on prime time, second only to BREXIT. Little or no background was given. The incident was framed as a racist assault and the pouring of water over the boy's face as 'waterboarding'.
Hysterical media-coverage in these cases desensitizes everyone to racism, bigotry and even torture. They equate getting splashed to Waterboarding, a precision crafted torture technique that simulates drowning.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:21 PM   #48
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay but here's the thing... getting "desensitized" to racism isn't... like an inevitability. It's not a natural law. It only works if you let it.

Or if you're just waiting for any excuse to pretend racism is not a problem (taps side of nose.)

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #49
Thermal
Philosopher

Pretty sure over sensationalizing but mistaken narrative is the angle
Old 30th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #50
kellyb
Philosopher

True, but the BBC has a truly enormous digital media presence. Then there's the Guardian, Daily Mirror, etc. The overall media bias is well to the left.
I really wouldn't call it "the left" overall.

"Social issues" generate outrage, viewership, and thus more ad revenue without threatening the profits of the corporate "sponsors", unlike coverage of economic issues. I'm not sure what to call the political bias of "identity politics" sans any economic element. I honestly don't think of it as "left", tho. Historically, the left has been almost exclusively about economics.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What's interesting in most of these leftist digital media companies operate at a loss. ...
Which companies are these and where did you get information they've been unprofitable for decades?

Perhaps you want to explain how a business operating at a loss for several decades stays in business....
Perhaps you could start with evidence this is even true.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th November 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:23 PM   #52
Thermal
Philosopher

This is a very white person answer.
You spelled 'smart answer' wrong
Old 30th November 2018, 01:23 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More proof of this place's lack of diversity. There are plenty of people (I'm referring to people of color) who don't agree with that. Here's an example. At 1:02 in this video, a Muslim woman calls a white lady a "white slag" on a London subway. The white lady, being white, tries to scold the Muslim for being "racist." Of course, it has no effect. She doesn't care if calling someone a white slag is "racist" as there are no social penalties for that behavior in her group. "Racism" is typically something only white people concern themselves with. And calling a white person "racist" works well to control them. So why would you hand someone else your greatest weapon?
Deflect.Deflect.Deflect.
That has become the White Power Rangers main tactic:To try to portray themselves as the victims of discrimination.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:25 PM   #54
kellyb
Philosopher

Which companies are these and where did you get information they've been unprofitable for decades?

I was wondering that, too.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:25 PM   #55
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Hysterical media-coverage in these cases desensitizes everyone to racism, bigotry and even torture. They equate getting splashed to Waterboarding, a precision crafted torture technique that simulates drowning.
That aspect of the reporting scraped the barrel's arse even more vigorously than usual. It wasn't just the fact they used the term 'waterboarding' to describe water splashed in a kid's face, but that the kid was rescued from a country that would likely have actually tortured him and his family in that way and worse. I guess anything to whip up hysteria, and it seems to have worked.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:25 PM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is victim blaming of the highest order, telling the victimized group that they aren't being victimized the right way.

ETA: Hell it's not even that. You're basically telling the victimized group "I'll care about you as soon as a third party stops being overly dramatic about it."

Old 30th November 2018, 01:26 PM   #57
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not like that
IOW, you don't have an answer. Got it.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:27 PM   #58
Baylor
Philosopher

The Sun, Daily Mail, etc are not the BBC.
The leftists rags also ran with this story vilifying a child.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...-GoFundMe-Link

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0e254c926ca4e
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:27 PM   #59
baron
Philosopher

This is victim blaming of the highest order, telling the victimized group that they aren't being victimized the right way.
Start by defining your terms. Who is the victimised group for a start?
Old 30th November 2018, 01:30 PM   #60
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Perhaps you want to explain how a business operating at a loss for several decades stays in business.

Don't scoff. If you owned a muffler shop that hadn't turned a profit in 20 years you better believe you'd get some knocks on your door.
I recommend you look up defunct broadcasting companies and defunct newspapers.

Now, who is exactly running at a loss for several years that should be out of business? Note that it can take quite a while of running at a loss to finally throw in the towel.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:32 PM   #61
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Start by defining your terms. Who is the victimised group for a start?
"Prove me blacks are disadvantaged."

No.

Old 30th November 2018, 01:32 PM   #62
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I recommend you look up defunct broadcasting companies and defunct newspapers.

Now, who is exactly running at a loss for several years that should be out of business? Note that it can take quite a while of running at a loss to finally throw in the towel.
Forget unprofitable, the BBC wouldn't exist if the TV-owning public weren't required by law to pay the licence fee. But that's OT.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:34 PM   #63
baron
Philosopher

No.
What in God's name are you talking about? What blacks? Can't you even respond to a simple question?
Old 30th November 2018, 01:36 PM   #64
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Wikipedia - decline of newspapers
A 2015 report from the Brookings Institution shows that the number of newspapers per hundred million population fell from 1,200 (in 1945) to 400 in 2014. Over that same period, circulation per capita declined from 35 percent in the mid-1940s to under 15 percent. The number of newspaper journalists has decreased from 43,000 in 1978 to 33,000 in 2015. Other traditional news media have also suffered. Since 1980 the television networks have lost half their audience for evening newscasts; the audience for radio news has shrunk by 40%.[37]
I eagerly await the list of leftist digital media outlets that have been operating at a loss for decades.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:36 PM   #65
kellyb
Philosopher

No.
I think Baron might have actually been just meaning to point out that the media is behaving as the enemy of anti-racism (and social justice in general) in this case, with the possible/likely false-positive claim of racism combined with hysteria. In and of itself, its a fair enough point, I think.

I just figure it's another case of the corporate media's reliable a-morality.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:36 PM   #66
Baylor
Philosopher

'Salon has been unprofitable through its entire history. Since 2007, the company has been dependent upon repeated cash injections from board Chairman John Warnock and William Hambrecht, father of former Salon CEO Elizabeth Hambrecht. During the nine months ending in December 31, 2012, these cash contributions amounted to $3.4 million, compared to revenue in the same period of $2.7 million'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_(website)

One of the most "popular" Leftist propaganda site breaks even, and that's with paying its staff crumbs.

'So if The Huffington Post -- which is 10-years-old, hauls in more than 200 million unique visitors a month and cranks out roughly 1,200 posts daily on the backs of reportedly poorly paid or unpaid writers -- can't turn a profit on $146 million in revenue, then how are the other, venture-capital fueled sites with smaller audiences and fewer relationships with advertisers supposed to achieve profitability?'

https://adage.com/article/media/huff...evenue/299293/
Old 30th November 2018, 01:38 PM   #67
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I eagerly await the list of leftist digital media outlets that have been operating at a loss for decades.
Didn't even have to wait a minute.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:38 PM   #68
kellyb
Philosopher

Forget unprofitable, the BBC wouldn't exist if the TV-owning public weren't required by law to pay the licence fee. But that's OT.
Not meaning to further derail, but do you know if the BBC even covered this story at all? I can find any links from them on it.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:39 PM   #69
Mr Salk
Thinker

Modern Media companies count their profits in influence.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:42 PM   #70
kellyb
Philosopher

'Salon has been unprofitable through its entire history. Since 2007, the company has been dependent upon repeated cash injections from board Chairman John Warnock and William Hambrecht, father of former Salon CEO Elizabeth Hambrecht. During the nine months ending in December 31, 2012, these cash contributions amounted to $3.4 million, compared to revenue in the same period of $2.7 million'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_(website)

One of the most "popular" Leftist propaganda site breaks even, and that's with paying its staff crumbs.

'So if The Huffington Post -- which is 10-years-old, hauls in more than 200 million unique visitors a month and cranks out roughly 1,200 posts daily on the backs of reportedly poorly paid or unpaid writers -- can't turn a profit on $146 million in revenue, then how are the other, venture-capital fueled sites with smaller audiences and fewer relationships with advertisers supposed to achieve profitability?'

https://adage.com/article/media/huff...evenue/299293/
I'm not seeing how either qualify as "business operating at a loss for several decades"?
Old 30th November 2018, 01:42 PM   #71
baron
Philosopher

I think Baron might have actually been just meaning to point out that the media is behaving as the enemy of anti-racism (and social justice in general) in this case, with the possible/likely false-positive claim of racism combined with hysteria. In and of itself, its a fair enough point, I think.
And we should remember that the 'culprit' is a school kid. He's now fled the country after groups of men descended on the family home and, in some accounts, smashed the windows and wrecked the place (although I've not seen evidence of that). He has received death threats and so has his mother and wider family. His mother has received a few dozen rape threats thrown into the mix. The media is perfectly OK with this because after all, they got a few headlines out of it.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:43 PM   #72
carlitos
"más divertido"

List of digital media companies that have been operating at a loss for several decades:
1 - Huffington Post breaks even
1 - Salon has lost money for one decade.

I'm underwhelmed.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:44 PM   #73
baron
Philosopher

Not meaning to further derail, but do you know if the BBC even covered this story at all? I can find any links from them on it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-46369501
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-46379548

and on the main TV news.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:46 PM   #74
kellyb
Philosopher

Ok, but who pays to keep the lights on and the staff housed, etc?
Old 30th November 2018, 01:50 PM   #75
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
List of digital media companies that have been operating at a loss for several decades:
1 - Huffington Post breaks even
1 - Salon has lost money for one decade.

I'm underwhelmed.
It's totally a Soros mind control op.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:52 PM   #76
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You can't pay your bills in influence.

Old 30th November 2018, 01:52 PM   #77
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The answer is no, the overreaction of some people against racism does not justify racism or make it acceptable.
Indeed. I'd add, it doesn't justify "can't bring myself to care" either. As if the overreaction is the fault of the victim.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:53 PM   #78
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

They did, but on Radio 4 at least it was a tail end "human interest" story not a headline story.
Old 30th November 2018, 02:19 PM   #79
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Racism exists and is wrong.

I think we can all agree to that.

What makes an everyday event like bullying newsworthy?

An uncommon angle to it. Man bites dog.

So I think the sad side effect of painting a lot of questionably racist events ( ___while black) as egregiously racist is the implication that these must be the worst instances of racism out there to garner so much coverage and outrage. And when ultimately, someone getting the cops called on them and then let go, or getting bullied, just isn't that bad of a fate compared to the struggles everyone faces in their lives.
Cancer or getting foreclosed on for instance.
It's kind of "meh" big deal. Got bullied, who didn't?
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 02:21 PM   #80
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

It's totally a Soros mind control op.
The sneaky Jews are using the brutish blacks as a tool to displace the heroic whites? Weakening the purity of both our spirits and our bodily essences?

What a day to run out of tinfoil...
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events