ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Myles
Scholar

Talking Being a Foreigner from New Mexico

This country can be so embarrassing. I blame it on all the new arrivals who have yet to totally learn all of our awesome history.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b04fb211680a4a
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 08:53 PM   #2
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
This country can be so embarrassing. I blame it on all the new arrivals who have yet to totally learn all of our awesome history.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b04fb211680a4a
Population of “this country”? 2 I guess.

Cool cool.
Old 30th November 2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

In fairness, New Mexico does sound a bit foreign. And 1912 isn't really that long ago.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
In fairness, New Mexico does sound a bit foreign. And 1912 isn't really that long ago.
I think you should be aware who "DC clerks" are before commenting.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I think you should be aware who "DC clerks" are before commenting.
Why?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:34 PM   #6
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

I was refused alcohol in east Texas once because "sorry, we don't accept foreign ID".

Notice the "USA"? Its to prevent harassment when travelling out of state.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:37 PM   #7
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Yeah, but a US territory since 1850.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:39 PM   #8
sts60
Illuminator

Similar to (U.S.) tourists coming up on the cruise ships to Alaska, going into gift shops and asking, “Do you take American money?” Yes, this happens.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 09:55 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

But ma'am, it's a New Mexico license.

I don't care if it's new or old or refurbicated. We don't take it because it's Mexico.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:05 PM   #10
Lambchops
Muse

Why?
(((DC clerks)))
Old 30th November 2018, 10:14 PM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Not a new mistake to encounter. Similarly, people from states with directions in the names (West Virginia, South Carolina, etc) sometimes get told "I just need the state, not what part of it you live in".
Old 30th November 2018, 10:25 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There was a time when schools were good. Back when America was great.
Old 30th November 2018, 10:37 PM   #13
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
There was a time when schools were good. Back when America was great.
Well you know back then they didn't have to remember more than 13 States. It's all those 37 new upstarts that have arrived and pushed their way in that have ruined the country since then.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 10:45 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Well you know back then they didn't have to remember more than 13 States. It's all those 37 new upstarts that have arrived and pushed their way in that have ruined the country since then.
I was going to say the last time this continent was great was when there were dinosaurs on it, but that's true of all the continents.
Old 30th November 2018, 11:00 PM   #15
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Not a new mistake to encounter. Similarly, people from states with directions in the names (West Virginia, South Carolina, etc) sometimes get told "I just need the state, not what part of it you live in".
Your education system needs fixing.

Even I know the names of the 50 states of the US and I live on another continent.
Old 1st December 2018, 01:19 AM   #16
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I was going to say the last time this continent was great was when there were dinosaurs on it, but that's true of all the continents.
There still are dinosaurs on all of the continents , even Antarctica has penguins.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 02:41 AM   #17
baron
Philosopher

Even I know the names of the 50 states of the US and I live on another continent.
But can you place them on a map? I did a test not long back and only got 4 wrong. I thought that wasn't bad for a UK-based xenophobe.
Old 1st December 2018, 08:46 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
There still are dinosaurs on all of the continents , even Antarctica has penguins.
Descendants of dinosaurs are not themselves dinosaurs, unfortunately.
Old 1st December 2018, 09:17 AM   #19
Thermal
Philosopher

I refuse to believe the OP happened. If it did, I'm buying up guns and hunkering down. Not from an oppressive government, but in fear of the Rise of the Stupid
Old 1st December 2018, 09:37 AM   #20
Ranb
Philosopher

From the OP;
Quote:
The clerk finally concluded New Mexico was a state after Clarkson objected three times. The clerk granted the license to Clarkson and his fiancée.
You might think the man had awesome powers of persuasion, but no.

Quote:
“She thought New Mexico was a foreign country,” Clarkson said of the clerk. “All the couples behind us waiting in line were laughing.”
It must have been the people laughing at the clerk who convinced them they were making a mistake.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 10:08 AM   #21
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
From the OP;

You might think the man had awesome powers of persuasion, but no.

It must have been the people laughing at the clerk who convinced them they were making a mistake.

Ranb
Take note Rest of the World, laugh at us loudly and publicly. Until we figure out how and why we are a nation of cowardly idiots.

Seriously, it can only help.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 10:44 AM   #22
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I wish I could find this incident funny but I can't. At least he didn't get arrested and turned over to ICE.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 01:54 PM   #23
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It's only a minority of idiots. It's hilarious and upsetting when some of them end up in positions where their idiocy can impact or obstruct other people; but it really is just a minority.

Late-night shows like to do things like have segments where they give people on the street geography questions and then show off the bizarre and ignorant answers, but in reality the producers have to spend hours, even several days, interviewing people in order to collect enough "ridiculous" responses to fill a segment.

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st December 2018 at 01:55 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 01:56 PM   #24
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It's only a minority of idiots. It's hilarious and upsetting when some of them end up in positions where their idiocy can impact or obstruct other people; but it really is just a minority.

Late-night shows like to do things like have segments where they give people on the street geography questions and then show off the bizarre and ignorant answers, but in reality the producers have to spend hours, even several days, interviewing people in order to collect enough "ridiculous" responses to fill a segment.
They could just interview Trump....
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 02:08 PM   #25
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I refuse to believe the OP happened. If it did, I'm buying up guns and hunkering down. Not from an oppressive government, but in fear of the Rise of the Stupid
It happens all the time. I had ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) write me requiring that I pay for a translator for my New Mexico State University transcript. I've an airline refuse to check my baggage all the way to Roswell, NM from Atlanta because "It has to go through customs at an International Airport" (Albuquerque)
And the entire office listened as a Atlanta Olympics ticket office kept insisting that one of our guys had to go through "your Consulate" to buy tickets, as they could not deliver tickets to a "foreign country"

ETA "New Mexico Magazine" used to have a feature in every issue totled "One of Our States is Missing" which featured such idiocy...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275

Last edited by rwguinn; 1st December 2018 at 02:11 PM.
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 02:27 PM   #26
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
It happens all the time. I had ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) write me requiring that I pay for a translator for my New Mexico State University transcript. I've an airline refuse to check my baggage all the way to Roswell, NM from Atlanta because "It has to go through customs at an International Airport" (Albuquerque)
And the entire office listened as a Atlanta Olympics ticket office kept insisting that one of our guys had to go through "your Consulate" to buy tickets, as they could not deliver tickets to a "foreign country"

ETA "New Mexico Magazine" used to have a feature in every issue totled "One of Our States is Missing" which featured such idiocy...
I live in New Jersey. Near New York, New Hampshire, and the District of Columbia. I wonder if these same profound souls want our European or South American Passports, too?

Oh god...they don't even know, do they?
Old 1st December 2018, 02:38 PM   #27
shemp

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I live in New Jersey. Near New York, New Hampshire, and the District of Columbia. I wonder if these same profound souls want our European or South American Passports, too?

Oh god...they don't even know, do they?
I've lived my whole life in New Hampshire and not once have I ever encountered anything like this.

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 02:40 PM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I've lived my whole life in New Hampshire and not once have I ever encountered anything like this.
I thought you had died as a very young boy. I must be thinking of some other poster.
Old 1st December 2018, 03:12 PM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I heard an American telling a group of Australians that they were from New Mexico, adding that is in America and not Mexico. I thought at the time most of the room would have been aware of that.
Old 1st December 2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Not since Trump rallys became a thing.
Old 1st December 2018, 04:16 PM   #31
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Not since Trump rallys became a thing.
I really want to dispute this, but I....just...can't.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 06:08 PM   #32
shemp

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I thought you had died as a very young boy. I must be thinking of some other poster.
I did, but I got better.

Old 1st December 2018, 07:36 PM   #33
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You speak words of wisdom.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 10:53 PM   #34
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Cladistically speaking (which is the only framework that I think makes any real sense biologically), they necessarily are!

Also, I'm a fish.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:05 AM   #35
dann
Philosopher

I really want to dispute this, but I....just...can't.

It would be interesting to see a study of the correlation between 'Jaywalkers' and Trump-rally participants ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:24 AM   #36
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

You'd have trouble credibly arguing that highly specialised Maniraptoran Theropods aren't dinosaurs.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:56 AM   #37
dann
Philosopher

I don't know ...
Did they taste like chicken?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:54 PM   #38
Carlotta
Thinker

There was a report on NPR a few years ago about the Harvard admissions office expecting a foreign tuition cost for applicants from New Mexico.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 07:22 PM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
There was a report on NPR a few years ago about the Harvard admissions office expecting a foreign tuition cost for applicants from New Mexico.
That sounds implausible: private schools rarely charge different rates for foreign vs domestic and in-state versus out-of-state. That's something public schools do, because they get state funding.
Old 2nd December 2018, 07:52 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

We feels for ya, NM! From Australia, with our capital being Vienna. And yes, we speak English here too.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events