ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia incidents

Old 3rd December 2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Planigale
Master Poster

The right to bare arms - the Australian experience

I had to get in first with this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-46425950
An Australian journalist has been banned from parliament for baring arms in parliament. Apparently there is a rule about this.

The explanation is that Strine for sleeveless shirts is 'wife-beater', clearly wife-beaters are not welcome in the Australian parliament.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Dead right too. How are the menfolk supposed to concentrate on serious business like running the country when there's a floozy running round with her arms showing?

She'll be showing her ankles next.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:36 PM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If there's one thing Australia is known for worldwide it's rigid formality.
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:42 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Reminds me of the time my missus got refused entry into the Sistine Chapel, because she was wearing a singlet.

Some people would probably think we were incredibly thick for not thinking about it before trying to get in.

But then everyone on this forum is nice, so would only feel sorry for her.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Reminds me of the time my missus got refused entry into the Sistine Chapel, because she was wearing a singlet.

Some people would probably think we were incredibly thick for not thinking about it before trying to get in.

When I was last at St. Peter's there was someone at a table selling ... I don't remember what. Blouses, or big scarfs - something to cover themselves with.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Thermal
Philosopher

Long sleeve shirts clash with my banana hammock

Last edited by Thermal; 3rd December 2018 at 01:59 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
When I was last at St. Peter's there was someone at a table selling ... I don't remember what. Blouses, or big scarfs - something to cover themselves with.
Probably Indulgencies....oh wait, they stopped doing that.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 02:52 PM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is bare flesh okay if it's covered in shiny pink glitter bodypaint? Asking for a friend.
Old 3rd December 2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is bare flesh okay if it's covered in shiny pink glitter bodypaint? Asking for a friend.
Not for the Australian parliament, but your ....ahem.,.. friend would probably be okay at the Sistine chapel.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:06 PM   #10
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

When I was at the wailing wall in Jerusalem, some woman (one of the keepers, I think) rushed up to me and gave me a scarf to wear.

I don't think bare arms shoulders and legs/ bare chest for men are appropriate in the following places:

Bank
Church
Parliament
Funeral
School
Old 3rd December 2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I had to get in first with this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-46425950
An Australian journalist has been banned from parliament for baring arms in parliament. Apparently there is a rule about this.
Or some officious little parliamentary twerp trying to act out.

Quote:
The explanation is that Strine for sleeveless shirts is 'wife-beater', clearly wife-beaters are not welcome in the Australian parliament.
Really? Never heard of this term except in the context of US hillbillies.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:19 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Really? Never heard of this term except in the context of US hillbillies.
Male ones, at that.
I wonder when the US House or Senate first had a female member show up in trousers.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:50 AM   #13
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yup me. Did you bother to look up the meaning of "chapel" before being so boorish?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 01:00 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This is it. In the public service order of hierarchy, a parliamentary attendant is pretty much at the bottom. But when a public servant of even little rank gets the opportunity to exert authority, look out.

Still, it's the right of the proprietor to invite people in only on certain conditions. There are restaurants in Australia and other places that require coat and ties. Even places as casual and laid back as Bali and Fiji require levels of decorum when visiting temples. Not so sure about Papua New Guinea though. I don't know if I would turn up with a penis gourd so as not to offend sensibilities........

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 4th December 2018 at 01:01 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 02:05 AM   #15
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

I understand the Church's reluctance to let her in. It's the start of a slippery slope. Who knows where it would end?
Cleavage?
Exposed midriffs?
Heaven forfend, even full frontal male nudity!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistin...on_of_Adam.jpg
Old 4th December 2018, 02:34 AM   #16
baron
Philosopher

Would a bloke be let in wearing a wife beater? No? Then, equality.
Old 4th December 2018, 04:59 AM   #17
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of the kerfuffle over security calling the MPs "Mate" a few years back.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Ranb
Philosopher

Rep Bobby Rush was removed from the House in DC for wearing a hoodie. https://www.cnn.com/2012/03/28/polit...die/index.html

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:39 AM   #19
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

But did she win her FILA bracket while over there?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:33 PM   #20
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I hate to partially disagree, but I suspect you would be partially wrong on that.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:35 PM   #21
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Burkhas perhaps??????

Wash this space!

fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 11:37 PM   #22
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This is it. In the public service order of hierarchy, a parliamentary attendant is pretty much at the bottom. But when a public servant of even little rank gets the opportunity to exert authority, look out.

Still, it's the right of the proprietor to invite people in only on certain conditions. There are restaurants in Australia and other places that require coat and ties. Even places as casual and laid back as Bali and Fiji require levels of decorum when visiting temples. Not so sure about Papua New Guinea though. I don't know if I would turn up with a penis gourd so as not to offend sensibilities........
Go for it and start a trend!!!

Wash this space!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events