IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 16th November 2017, 11:04 PM   #1
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Flat Earth Internation Conference 2017!!!

I am for once speechless (well I was, then I decided to post).

Flat Earth International Conference 2017 - in South Carolina USA.

There are actually enough people to have a conference on this

I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit. I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.

However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything. This is a natural corollary when you take away all the dogmas and ideologies and government meddling in how people should live their lives. I mean an Egyptian singer was recently arrested because she said drinking river Nile water can make you sick, that is clearly insane.

Or is this just another example of American decline in the face of anti-intellectual hysteria that appears to be sweeping that great nation.

Last edited by BadBoy; 16th November 2017 at 11:06 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:06 PM   #2
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Equal time for both sides of the controversy, surely.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:21 PM   #3
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Equal time for both sides of the controversy, surely.
well, if there is a controversy right now I am sure we can end the controversy easily enough by providing the evidence. Then we are post controversy. Simples.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:37 PM   #4
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post

I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit. I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.

However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything. This is a natural corollary when you take away all the dogmas and ideologies and government meddling in how people should live their lives. I mean an Egyptian singer was recently arrested because she said drinking river Nile water can make you sick, that is clearly insane.

Or is this just another example of American decline in the face of anti-intellectual hysteria that appears to be sweeping that great nation.
You're a little late, but welcome to the party. These are the type of smug buffoons who consider RT their number one "news source".
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:43 PM   #5
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You're a little late, but welcome to the party. These are the type of smug buffoons who consider RT their number one "news source".
ok, I don't necessarily think the USA is in decline, and even if it is it would take decades. But there is an unwelcome aroma of people become specious or willfully ignorant of science and reason and bare faced facts. (Not just in America). Trump epitomizes this, as the man himself and the people who elected him. Luckily sanity appears to prevail in some other countries like Canada and France at the moment in their recently elected leaders.

Last edited by BadBoy; 17th November 2017 at 12:00 AM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 04:42 AM   #6
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Do flat-earthers generally allege a Conspiracy to delude humankind about the shape of the earth, or do they allege scientific error?
Or do they allege a Consiracy that flattened earth?
Old 17th November 2017, 05:29 AM   #7
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

well, if there is a controversy right now I am sure we can end the controversy easily enough by providing the evidence. Then we are post controversy. Simples.
Sure. But this assumes that those who create the controversy- here, flat-earthers, elsewhere, creationists and 9-11 CTists- are doing so in good faith, are honestly asking questions in search of evidence to answer them. For the most part, they're not; the investment is in the controversy itself, and the point is to prolong it, not resolve it.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 06:03 AM   #8
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Do flat-earthers generally allege a Conspiracy to delude humankind about the shape of the earth, or do they allege scientific error?
Its a conspiracy, to hide god from us.
Old 17th November 2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

There are as many theories as there are proponents, similar to 9/11 and Apollo hoax believers.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 09:21 AM   #10
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

For anyone who wasn't able to attend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwe7HY04oxs
Old 17th November 2017, 08:14 PM   #11
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

ok, I don't necessarily think the USA is in decline, and even if it is it would take decades. But there is an unwelcome aroma of people become specious or willfully ignorant of science and reason and bare faced facts. (Not just in America). Trump epitomizes this, as the man himself and the people who elected him. Luckily sanity appears to prevail in some other countries like Canada and France at the moment in their recently elected leaders.
Agreed. And to go further, a large set of pathetic, ego fueled buffoons have replaced rational thought and the scientific method with a bunch of self serving conspiracy crapola, and replaced legitimate news sources with whatever Russian propaganda they happen to find on the internet that day.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

All of the above probably. I remember once watching a video of an argument that nearly turned into a fist fight among bigfoot believers. People can get oddly passionate about the arrangement of the deckchairs on the Titanic.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 09:11 PM   #13
Elagabalus
Philosopher

May I ask how the attendees "arrived" at the Internation Conference 2017? Did they fly in on commercial flights? Why didn't all the Airline companies make them disappear? The last thing the NWO wants is to alert all the sheeple about the global conspiracy!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:43 AM   #14
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
May I ask how the attendees "arrived" at the Internation Conference 2017? Did they fly in on commercial flights? Why didn't all the Airline companies make them disappear? The last thing the NWO wants is to alert all the sheeple about the global conspiracy!!
Some tried to get there by jumping straight up and letting the earth spin beneath them, that they didn't get anywhere is proof enough that the earth isn't a spinning globe.
Old 18th November 2017, 06:50 AM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

Was this a global conference? Were there satellite link-ups beaming to other parts of the world which were having night time for some mysterious reason?
Old 19th November 2017, 11:03 PM   #16
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post

I managed to watch the first 5 mins then had to switch off when he got to the point where he asks why are the scientists not answering their questions plus "and don't give me that thing about boat masts going down, is that all you have!". Obviously the scientists have no answer and so are keeping quiet. Good Grief.
Old 20th November 2017, 10:10 AM   #17
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

They seem to universally believe that anything that comes from NASA (like pictures of the earth clearly showing it to be spherical) are fake. Most that I have read seem to believe there is some sort of conspiracy to conceal "the truth".

I have not seen anything from them that suggests that the earth was ever any shape but a flat disk.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 11:11 AM   #18
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post

Someone commented:

Code:
Nice on brother. What's with the 27 dislikes? Probably the globetards...lol
Wow.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 12:46 PM   #19
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for inviting me to be your commencement speaker. Unfortunately I flew here, and on the way I looked out the aeroplane window and realised we're all idiots.

Thank you for attending and I look forward to seeing you all at next month's Intelligent Design Symposium.

Good Night!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 12:50 PM   #20
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for inviting me to be your commencement speaker. Unfortunately I flew here, and on the way I looked out the aeroplane window and realised we're all idiots.

Thank you for attending and I look forward to seeing you all at next month's Intelligent Design Symposium.

Good Night!
Damn, NASA must have paid this guy off.

Access to actual Flat Earthers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OurFlatWorld/

Looks like they are censor and ban happy, so be careful.

Last edited by Imhotep; 20th November 2017 at 12:51 PM.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 02:48 PM   #21
bytewizard
Master Poster

Caught a rerun of Mythbusters last night. Adam flew in a U-2 up to 70,000 feet, and as the camera panned the earth, it was......curved...a sphere! What a great fake camera! CGI must be cheap and easy....
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:01 PM   #22
EHocking
Philosopher

Fisheye lens,

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 05:01 PM   #23
Daniel
Muse

We allege that it's NOT Science to begin with since The Scientific Method ("Science") only adjudicates "Cause and Effect" (How/Why) questions and the shape of something (Flat/Sphere) or Spinning/Non-Spinning ect are "What/Is" questions.
It's tantamount to asking: How/Why is a Breadbox Rectangular, True or False?

Then we further stipulate, that if any appeal to "Science" in this genre that they wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on their head, spun around, and whistled dixie. It's an Open and Shut Case.

Conspiracy -- a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy

No, this never happens!! Just Thousands of Times each day EVERY DAY throughout the Entire History of the human race.

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 05:03 PM   #24
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Was this a global conference? Were there satellite link-ups beaming to other parts of the world...

Yes, like these...

Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 05:12 PM   #25
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
They seem to universally believe that anything that comes from NASA (like pictures of the earth clearly showing it to be spherical) are fake. Most that I have read seem to believe there is some sort of conspiracy to conceal "the truth".

Not 'believe', we "KNOW"; Big Difference.

There are no Pictures "Photographs" of the Earth merely CGI (Computer Generated Images); Two very different animals.

Conspiracies are like 'wiki' PARROTING Pretender Clowns...they're everywhere.

regards
Old 28th November 2017, 05:25 PM   #26
Daniel
Muse

Why? And feigned exasperations aren't coherent arguments/positions.

Quote:

Looks like it.

Quote:
I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit.

And...? WHY?

Quote:
I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.

And...? WHY?

Quote:
However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything.

Yes, Fairytales like: evolution (Whatever that is??), multiverses, dark matter/energy, big bangs ect ect...and feebly attempt to pass them off as actually coherent.

regards
Old 28th November 2017, 05:39 PM   #27
Daniel
Muse

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Caught a rerun of Mythbusters last night. Adam flew in a U-2 up to 70,000 feet, and as the camera panned the earth, it was......curved...a sphere!

The epitome of "Science"....Mythbusters.

Yes, I caught that also Unfortunately (For your Fairytale), when the "camera" panned back to Adam, it showed the Horizon behind him... Flat as a Pancake !!

Quote:
What a great fake camera!

How about the "Convexity" (Cockpit) of what the camera was looking through?

Quote:
CGI must be cheap and easy....

That wasn't CGI, it's called "Barrel Distortion".

regards
Old 28th November 2017, 07:51 PM   #28
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The epitome of "Science"....Mythbusters.

Yes, I caught that also Unfortunately (For your Fairytale), when the "camera" panned back to Adam, it showed the Horizon behind him... Flat as a Pancake !!

How about the "Convexity" (Cockpit) of what the camera was looking through?

That wasn't CGI, it's called "Barrel Distortion".

regards
The curve doesn't go away just because you don't see it from a different angle. Does the back of a house go away when you look at the front?
Old 28th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #29
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

There are no Pictures "Photographs" of the Earth merely CGI (Computer Generated Images); Two very different animals.

regards
They didn't have CGI in 1947.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First_photo_from_space.jpg (54.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 28th November 2017, 08:04 PM   #30
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Lake Pontchartrain utility towers show the curvature:

https://www.metabunk.org/soundly-pro...artrain.t8939/

And don't refer to videos trying to debunk Soundly by looking at different angles. Like I said, the curve doesn't go away just because you changed perspective.
Old 29th November 2017, 01:27 AM   #31
threadworm
Graduate Poster

regards
As opposed to anti-science ignorami parroting stupid youtube memes.

Have some pictures of Earth taken decades before any computer would be capable of producing anything like it.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 01:33 AM   #32
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Yes, Fairytales like: evolution (Whatever that is??)
How can you say that evolution is a fairytale when you don't even know what it is?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 02:12 AM   #33
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Wow, are you a real Flat Earth-er ? That's incredible!

You really managed to convince yourself the earth is flat hu. Wow.

Quote:
Quote:
Why? And feigned exasperations aren't coherent arguments/positions.
Not feigned exasperations, real exasperation and dumbfoundedness. You must be used to that by now surely. If you mean what you say, it's kind of a dumb belief given all the evidence and all that the earth is quite positively a sphere, same as all the other celestial bodies. I mean you would have to quite literally invent a whole new physics starting with newtons theory of gravity. Your strident underwhelming postulating in the face of the last 200 years progress of the physical sciences is truly a wonder of grand ignorance and arrogance.
Quote:
Quote:
Looks like it.
Again, real dumbfoundedness.

Quote:
Quote:
I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit.
And...? WHY?
Because thinking the earth is flat is really really silly.

Quote:
Quote:
I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.
And...? WHY?
Because it is very very silly.

Quote:
Quote:
However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything.
Yes, Fairytales like: evolution (Whatever that is??), multiverses, dark matter/energy, big bangs ect ect...and feebly attempt to pass them off as actually coherent.
Oh dear. I think there is an amount of Dunning Kruger going on here.

Quote:
regards
And my regards to you to... I think?

Sorry if this post feels a bit like an ad hominem attack, but it's like having a conversation with someone who insists 2+2 = 5.

Last edited by BadBoy; 29th November 2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:14 AM   #34
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Lake Pontchartrain utility towers show the curvature:

https://www.metabunk.org/soundly-pro...artrain.t8939/

And don't refer to videos trying to debunk Soundly by looking at different angles. Like I said, the curve doesn't go away just because you changed perspective.
That, was really cool.

Why can't the anti science people see how cool science can be.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:19 AM   #35
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......And...? WHY?........
Because only babbling idiots think the world is flat. It isn't.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 05:13 AM   #36
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

We allege that it's NOT Science to begin with since The Scientific Method ("Science") only adjudicates "Cause and Effect" (How/Why) questions and the shape of something (Flat/Sphere) or Spinning/Non-Spinning ect are "What/Is" questions.
It's tantamount to asking: How/Why is a Breadbox Rectangular, True or False?

Then we further stipulate, that if any appeal to "Science" in this genre that they wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on their head, spun around, and whistled dixie. It's an Open and Shut Case.

Conspiracy -- a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy

No, this never happens!! Just Thousands of Times each day EVERY DAY throughout the Entire History of the human race.

regards
"Earth is round, spinning around an axis, falling around a much larger sun on an elliptic path, and the axes of these rotations are at an angle of 23 degrees" is a powerful scientific theory, for it allows to make many detailed, falsifiable predictions. For example about apparent motions of celestial bodies, distances of travel along earth's surface, the behaviour of weather systems, the nature of seasons in different parts of the world, where stuff falls and at what rate things accelerate as a function of ground hight (mountain vs. depression) or hight above ground or distance from poles, where compass needles point, what straight power lines over a body of water look like when viewed through telelens, properties of various wave lengths of radio (why do they build radio towers as high as they do, and what limits their range?), etc.

What falsifiable predictions makes the flat-earth theory?
Old 29th November 2017, 05:17 AM   #37
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What falsifiable predictions makes the flat-earth theory?
If the earth was a sphere, pizzas would be spheres, too.
But they are flat, hence the earth must be flat.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 05:22 AM   #38
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Impressive. I see there's a whole new swathe of irrationality that I'd never previously considered: Metrology denial.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 05:35 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Impressive. I see there's a whole new swathe of irrationality that I'd never previously considered: Metrology denial.

Dave
Go listen to nightvale and you can find out the truth about how mountains don't exist.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 08:34 AM   #40
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Wait, wait, wait. That's can't honestly be your whole strategy, right? I mean, you can't seriously just respond to everyone with "you wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie" right? That would be crazy - a child's idea of a rebuttal. I'm sure you're just making a joke about that being your tactic and would never actually rely on such a weak attempt at discourse.

It's plainly obvious from just a mere cursory review of these threads, the participants wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on their heads, spun around, and whistled dixie.
With al do respect sir...as evidenced by your comments here and previous posts, you wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.
You wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.
And Sir, by the substance of your posts in this thread, you wouldn't know what REAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.
You wouldn't know what "actual" Science was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.
It's Crystal Clear from your post history ( and corroborated by your trainwreck remark here), you wouldn't know what "Actual" Science was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled Dixie.
I highly doubt that you would know what REAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.
Oh.

Well then, I stand corrected.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories