IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 5th December 2017, 05:05 PM   #481
davefoc
Philosopher

Here's a definition of pressure:
Pressure is an expression of force exerted on a surface per unit area.

It's from this site: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/pressure

It doesn't use the word container. You seem to believe because you found a definition of pressure that uses the word container a container is necessary for pressure to exist. How does the fact that there is a definition of pressure that doesn't use the word affect your idea about the need for a container for pressure to exist?

Assuming you are serious, I have wondered for awhile if you just don't understand the mechanism by which planets (including earth) prevent their atmospheres from escaping.

This is a link to the Wikipedia article on the atmosphere of the earth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

If you go to the section of "Principal Layers" you will see a description of the layers of the atmosphere. One take away from this section is how the atmospheric pressure of earth gradually declines until it is at the pressure of the interplanetary space. You might in particular take a look at the exosphere article. This is the layer thats pressure gradually declines to the pressure of interplanetary space.

It is reasonable to wonder if some gas doesn't escape from exosphere into interplanetary space. Gas molecule speeds are distributed and even if the average speed of the molecules is not large enough to escape earth's gravity some of the molecules near the edge of the exosphere are going fast enough that they do escape the earth's atmosphere so in a sense you're right in that a solid container would be necessary to completely prevent the loss of gas to interplanetary space. However this is a very slow process that is really only significant for the lighter molecules in the atmosphere like helium and hydrogen.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 05:10 PM   #482
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Thanks for all of your 'responses'.

Couldn't have EXPOSED "You" without "You". Priceless

regards
That's Nice.

By the way: The planet you stand on, is still a sphere*.

*Oblate Spheroid.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 05:17 PM   #483
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

So I'm Begging The Question and Failed to provide evidence?

That means, I'm assuming there very thing I'm attempting to prove. OK,

I said to have "Gas Pressure" (for the 1879th time ) you MUST HAVE a Container. THEN... because Cognitive Dissonance and Adherence to Fairytales runs rampant in the Spinning-Ball Religion and you remain Willfully Ignorant to Prima Facie Truths, I then provided as evidence:

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

"A GAS is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a CONTAINER in which it is held and acquires a uniform density inside the CONTAINER, EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF GRAVITY and regardless of the amount of substance in the CONTAINER. If not confined to a CONTAINER, gaseous matter, also known as vapor, WILL DISPERSE INTO SPACE."
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/gas

"Kinetic Molecular Theory Explanation of Boyle's Law...

Observations about pressure may be explained using the following ideas. The rapid motion and collisions of molecules with the WALLS OF THE CONTAINER* causes PRESSURE (force on a unit area). Pressure is proportional to the number of molecular collisions and the force of the collisions in a particular area. The more collisions of GAS MOLECULES with THE WALLS, the higher the PRESSURE."

Well if there wasn't a "Container" you wouldn't have Oceans, because...wait for it...it wouldn't be "CONTAINED".
It Conceptually the same as a Swimming Pool. The light coming on yet?

oy vey
lol, wonder how scuba works in the delusional dumbed down flat earth world of woo.

GPS?
Oh, Celestical navigation.
Right, Gravity does not exist.
No clue Newtonian physics are enough to go to the moon, wait, physics does not exist. (okay, it exists, but flat earth faith based believers don't have a practical knowledge of physics)

The swimming pool analogy is funny.

Don't worry, if you could do physics/math/science, you could cherry pick/quote mine science to support the flat earth woo.

Quote:
The equations of motion for functions EoM.m and EoMQver2.m are written using the flat-earth assumption, ... http://www.princeton.edu/~stengel/FDcodeB.html
Come on use this quote mining stuff to support a flat earth, use science to support woo; it is what you do without effort, or thinking.

six sigma of stupid, flat earth claims - is there an award for that
https://www.villanovau.com/lp/six-si...RoCcUAQAvD_BwE
Is there a six sigma certification for woo

Gee, there is no container for the atmosphere, I have flown near 50,000 feet, did not hit the container, but we needed oxygen because the pressure was too low to sustain a human. Denying science, the woo of flat earth religion. Are your GPS satellites in side the dome of flat earth woo.

You don't understand pressure, and thus have no idea what the pressure is on a standard day at 27,000 feet, or 50,000 feet. Then when we have rapid decompressions or slow decompressions in aircraft, you have to deny we pass out in 10 seconds at 45,000 feet pressure altitude. Or we fall asleep like Payne Stewart's flight crew and passengers, due to the lack of pressure, in the open atmosphere of earth, when we fail to close our "container", the plane. oops, you don't do science, you do woo.

How far is your sun, or the north star? I thought only Russians were flat earthers

Last edited by beachnut; 5th December 2017 at 05:31 PM.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 05:39 PM   #484
EHocking
Philosopher

Compass discussion dropped hurriedly

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
That's Interesting, thanks for bringing it up. How in the World can a Compass work in the Southern Hemisphere on a Sphere ?? Wouldn't the needle be buried in the ring?
yes.
That is exactly what happens. The variation is up to 20o.

The needle of a compass that works in the SH is balanced differently than one that works in the NH, due to exactly this fact that the horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably in different locations

The compass manufacturers use 5 global zones and 5 corresponding “magnetic balancing zones”.

You have correctly pointed out yet another Fact that demonstrates that the earth is a globe and not a platter.
Daniel?

Any thoughts on the fact that the compass needle weighted to work in the northern hemisphere would indeed "be buried in the ring" when used in the southern hemisphere?

It is your assertion that this would only happen on a global earth.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 06:01 PM   #485
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
Your own quote disagrees with you. It says the pressure is the force the gas exerts on the walls of it's container, not the force the container puts on the gas.

How come this railcar decided to increase it's force? Is it committing suicide?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

By the way, you never did explain how on a flat Earth the stars circle above the South Pole place FEfailers refuse to call a South Pole, or go in a straight line, curving away North and South, above the equator thing FEfailers think is a circle on a disk.
Old 5th December 2017, 06:44 PM   #486
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

regards
Thank you. Being exposed as rational and patient in the face of absurdity is a real complement.

I thank you for the test..........

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 06:52 PM   #487
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

regards
Who have you exposed us to? There's no body of people seriously pondering the spherical nature of our planet. What's the venue of for your victory dance? Is it other flat earth believers? So what? Do you think you're going to make some change in science or technology? Are you expecting some alteration in geography text books? Are you going to show this thread to the Air Force and Navy they'll stop computing terrain masking by curvature of the earth?

In short, you've exposed us to people who never mattered to us, and still don't.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 06:56 PM   #488
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Well if there wasn't a "Container" you wouldn't have Oceans, because...wait for it...it wouldn't be "CONTAINED".
You weren't asked if there was a container, the question was what it is in your world.

You really need to pick up your game, or your reading comprehension.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:09 PM   #489
Elagabalus
Philosopher

So I'm Begging The Question and Failed to provide evidence?

That means, I'm assuming there very thing I'm attempting to prove. OK,

<<SNIP>>

Please tell explain to us why EVERYONE, according to your Flat Earth model, experiences nighttime (no sun shining) when the sun finally sets (goes below the horizon) on your flat Earth?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 10:22 PM   #490
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Please tell explain to us why EVERYONE, according to your Flat Earth model, experiences nighttime (no sun shining) when the sun finally sets (goes below the horizon) on your flat Earth?
I'm not Daniel but I think the basic idea is that the Sun moves around the flat earth illuminating different parts as it passes over them. The only way that I can see remotely how this would work is if the Sun is like a flood light. If it's a big bright ball the transition from dark to light would be gradual and everybody on earth would always be able to see the sun albeit glowing dimly.

A problem with the flood light idea is that it seems like you'd see the dark side of the Sun. (Not that this is the only problem with the idea )

ETA: In thinking about this a bit more, the flood light needs to produce a pattern that illuminates about half the earth and it rotates around a point that the north pole is continuously illuminated for half the year and in the dark for the other half of the year. But I don't understand something here because I can't see how to produce the seasons. But the sun flood light already needs to be pretty trick since it needs to vary the illumination so that the areas near the edge get as much light as the areas directly under the Sun. So I think what is required here is an arduino processor to carefully control the flood lamp output to make it so that every part of the earth gets the amount of illumination appropriate for the season.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 5th December 2017 at 10:35 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:47 AM   #491
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Do you have a source for the underlined?

Also, are you saying we don't have atmospheric pressure or that there is a container?

I’m still catching up here. But presumably a water blob in space zero g would have internal pressure inside the blob with no container. But then I guess that’s not a gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th December 2017, 01:49 AM   #492
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
The question of whether Daniel is actually serious about this, or is simply trolling is an interesting one (at least to me).
Daniel's method of debate consists largely of these things:
  • Cherry-picked quotes from articles that often refute his own arguments, or at least do not support them.
  • Repetetive phraseology- define evolution, landed on your head, spun around and whistled Dixie, Ipse Dixit Bare Assertion Fallacy, etc. etc. etc.
  • An abrasive, mocking and confrontational tone.
  • A refusal to answer difficult questions- the compass one, for example.
  • A total absence of any positive evidence for his propositions.

It is also notable that the scientists on this forum are unanimous in saying that Daniel is at times misrepresenting science, and at others displaying a woeful ignorance of basic science. At the same time, the Christians on the forum linked to upthread, in which Daniel is engaging in the same (i.e. identical in all the above points) debate, are saying that Daniel is making their faith look ridiculous.

Given all this, I would like to know from Daniel whether anyone has been convinced and converted by these tactics. Personally, I think it highly unlikely, but it is just possible that someone out there has been mocked into submission, or won over by some blatant cherry-picking.
Daniel: has this ever happened?
If not, you might want to consider a couple of options:
Firstly, your approach is not bearing fruit, assuming your aim is to persuade rather than alienate or annoy. Perhaps a change of tactics might be more productive?
Secondly, there is always the possibility that you are just wrong. Have you considered the fact that virtually no-one agrees with you might be worth thinking about?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 03:27 AM   #493
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
The question of whether Daniel is actually serious about this, or is simply trolling is an interesting one (at least to me).

Daniel's method of debate consists largely of these things:

• Cherry-picked quotes from articles that often refute his own arguments, or at least do not support them.
  • Repetetive phraseology- define evolution, landed on your head, spun around and whistled Dixie, Ipse Dixit Bare Assertion Fallacy, etc. etc. etc.
  • An abrasive, mocking and confrontational tone.
  • A refusal to answer difficult questions- the compass one, for example.
  • A total absence of any positive evidence for his propositions.

It is also notable that the scientists on this forum are unanimous in saying that Daniel is at times misrepresenting science, and at others displaying a woeful ignorance of basic science. At the same time, the Christians on the forum linked to upthread, in which Daniel is engaging in the same (i.e. identical in all the above points) debate, are saying that Daniel is making their faith look ridiculous.

Given all this, I would like to know from Daniel whether anyone has been convinced and converted by these tactics. Personally, I think it highly unlikely, but it is just possible that someone out there has been mocked into submission, or won over by some blatant cherry-picking.

Daniel: has this ever happened?

If not, you might want to consider a couple of options:

Firstly, your approach is not bearing fruit, assuming your aim is to persuade rather than alienate or annoy. Perhaps a change of tactics might be more productive?

Secondly, there is always the possibility that you are just wrong. Have you considered the fact that virtually no-one agrees with you might be worth thinking about?

Everything you describe is typical of some of the Creationist writing I’ve encountered over the years. The point of such an approach is, like a Jack Chick tract, not to convert anyone, but to reassure the extant believers.

Nobody was ever converted by a Chick tract, but they were reassured that they were doing something Godly by giving them out. Daniel’s approach is not about converting anyone. It’s about reassuring himself if he is a true believer and reassuring other true believers if they encountered this thread. The whole point is to preach to the choir.

I suspect Daniel is a troll but he could be a true believer in the flat earth theory who isn’t very good at the harsher creationist style rhetoric.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 03:57 AM   #494
erlando
Master Poster

This just doesn't magically become true no matter how many times you assert it. You have repeatedly been shown this. You have also repeatedly dodged the question of where and what this container is as we undeniably have air pressure on the Earth - unless this is one of the things you also deny.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:04 AM   #495
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
This just doesn't magically become true no matter how many times you assert it. You have repeatedly been shown this. You have also repeatedly dodged the question of where and what this container is as we undeniably have air pressure on the Earth - unless this is one of the things you also deny.
He doesn't deny that we have air pressure on the Earth; he denies that there is vacuum anywhere else. He also accepts that air pressure varies with altitude, but won't take any notice of the suggestion that it might vary over several orders of magnitude; at that point he fringe resets, repeats the mantra and hurls abuse.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:02 AM   #496
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Everything you describe is typical of some of the Creationist writing I’ve encountered over the years. The point of such an approach is, like a Jack Chick tract, not to convert anyone, but to reassure the extant believers.

Nobody was ever converted by a Chick tract, but they were reassured that they were doing something Godly by giving them out. Daniel’s approach is not about converting anyone. It’s about reassuring himself if he is a true believer and reassuring other true believers if they encountered this thread. The whole point is to preach to the choir.

I suspect Daniel is a troll but he could be a true believer in the flat earth theory who isn’t very good at the harsher creationist style rhetoric.
Well, firstly let me thank you for the education: I had not heard of Chick tracts before. This is a great site for learning things.
You may be right about this: I really don't think Daniel is here to learn anything, or to engage in any kind of honest conversation. In the years he has been posting, he hasn't changed his tune one whit, and keeps posting the same questions over and over again, whilst ignoring or dismissing the answers. I wonder if the name is a reference to Daniel in the lion's den, and that he is, as you say, merely proclaiming his faith for his benefit, and that of other likeminded zealots.

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:15 AM   #497
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Well, firstly let me thank you for the education: I had not heard of Chick tracts before. This is a great site for learning things.
You may be right about this: I really don't think Daniel is here to learn anything, or to engage in any kind of honest conversation. In the years he has been posting, he hasn't changed his tune one whit, and keeps posting the same questions over and over again, whilst ignoring or dismissing the answers. I wonder if the name is a reference to Daniel in the lion's den, and that he is, as you say, merely proclaiming his faith for his benefit, and that of other likeminded zealots.
Indeed I believe it is, though it's also a handy anagram of 'denial' Sadly for her, to mix a biblical metaphor, in this forum she can't rely on anyone closing our mouths while she interprets dreams.

Daniel's use of language appears in a number of places on the web in identical forms and presentational style, which is how I came across

This page

and this youtube video.

Are we in danger of focusing attention on the debater rather than the debate? Possibly, but when one side of the discussion is clearly not actually interested in engaging in meaningful debate or an exchange of idea it's useful to know that their tactics are employed elsewhere with the same resulting frustration and annoyance.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:31 AM   #498
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Are we in danger of focusing attention on the debater rather than the debate?
What debate? There is none.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:39 AM   #499
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What debate? There is none.

Dave

For there to be a debate both sides have to offer opposing points and arguments. What we have in this thread is a large group of people trying to have a conversation with someone who keeps responding with rambling insults best paraphrased as “I reject anything about science that might contradict my claims and I’m boggled you don’t agree with my unsupported, vague assertions! And you’re all poopieheads!”
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:51 AM   #500
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Indeed I believe it is, though it's also a handy anagram of 'denial' Sadly for her, to mix a biblical metaphor, in this forum she can't rely on anyone closing our mouths while she interprets dreams.

Daniel's use of language appears in a number of places on the web in identical forms and presentational style, which is how I came across

This page

and this youtube video.

Are we in danger of focusing attention on the debater rather than the debate? Possibly, but when one side of the discussion is clearly not actually interested in engaging in meaningful debate or an exchange of idea it's useful to know that their tactics are employed elsewhere with the same resulting frustration and annoyance.
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
For there to be a debate both sides have to offer opposing points and arguments. What we have in this thread is a large group of people trying to have a conversation with someone who keeps responding with rambling insults best paraphrased as “I reject anything about science that might contradict my claims and I’m boggled you don’t agree with my unsupported, vague assertions! And you’re all poopieheads!”
There was a similar conversation about what to do with Holocaust deniers, who I think are quite similar in their tactics and lack of interest in honest debate. The conclusion was that we, and others like us, should continue to engage them, and I believe the same reasoning applies here. Continued engagement would have a dual effect: firstly, it would contrast the two approaches (reasoned, evidence-based, at least halfway polite attempts at dialogue, versus scornful, ignorant zealotry), and leave the deniers looking as foolish as they should. Secondly, it would prevent them from claiming victory, which they would if their points went unanswered.

Old 6th December 2017, 07:19 AM   #501
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

regards
Yeah, pretty much par for the course:

- Present strawmen and unsubstantiated claims.

- Demand that opponents prove well-known science all over just for you and in a way you specify (and which mostly won'r work, of course).

- Ignore or flatly refuse all counterarguments. (Add some insults and condescending remarks).

- Repeat strawmen and unsubstantiated claims, now with bolded letters, etc. (Add insults and condescending remarks).

- Ignore or flatly refuse all counterarguments. (Add some insults and condescending remarks).

..... repeat several times till it becomes too obvious that you are contradicting yourself and making absolutely no headway.

- Stomp off declaring that you have won.

Well, thanks to all who patiently play the game, so we ensure that this nonsense is never left unopposed. It is tedious, but it has to be done.

Hans
Old 6th December 2017, 08:22 AM   #502
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
......- Stomp off declaring that you have won.......
Are you sure this is what has happened? The stomp off bit, I mean, not the declaring-you've-won bit, which he did multiple times in every post.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 09:20 AM   #503
HSienzant
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
Wow, so many expending so much energy!

Why?
I can't speak for anyone else but I get paid for rebutting conspiracy theories.

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 09:29 AM   #504
HSienzant
Philosopher

I stepped onto the floor.
So why not the ceiling or one of the walls?

Did you just arbitrarily choose the floor?

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:46 AM   #505
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Are you sure this is what has happened? The stomp off bit, I mean, not the declaring-you've-won bit, which he did multiple times in every post.
Well, one can hope ....

But he will surely come back. They nearly always do.

Hans
Old 6th December 2017, 05:44 PM   #506
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Flat Earth Internation Conference 2017!!!

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post

By the way, you never did explain how on a flat Earth the stars circle above the South Pole place FEfailers refuse to call a South Pole, or go in a straight line, curving away North and South, above the equator thing FEfailers think is a circle on a disk.

Not only that but how would they explain how the stars are different in Australia compared with the Uk without hemispheres.

I don’t think Daniel’s for real. What I find almost as odd as a flat earther is someone who spends obviously quite a bit of time constructing this long garbled and arrogant posts just for fun? What do trolls like this get out of it? Don’t understand.

Last edited by BadBoy; 6th December 2017 at 05:53 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:49 PM   #507
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

Or maybe more importantly that everyone sees the sunset at different times, incrementally but in a specific direction (ie timezones)

Old 7th December 2017, 02:23 AM   #508
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
Or maybe more importantly that everyone sees the sunset at different times, incrementally but in a specific direction (ie timezones)

It's an optical perspective density CGI illusion created by atheist NASA Satanists.
Obviously.

Old 7th December 2017, 09:18 AM   #509
HSienzant
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Can you explain further? What makes a flat earth more likely a creation of god than a spherical earth? Thanks.
Oh, that's easy.

A spherical earth, with gravity and a non earth-centered universe complete with the big bang theory and all that entails, along with evolution and other scientific discoveries pretty much removes God from the equation entirely.

It's bad enough lightning rods diverted God's vengeance, a non-earth centered universe takes him out of the picture altogether.

The best way to put God back into the equation is with the earth being the center of the universe again, with the earth being special, and everything revolving around US. A flat earth does that nicely.

Of course, that flat earth model, along with the denial of evolution, also has the nice ancillary benefit of putting humans back at the top of all living creatures in the universe. That has a certain amount of appeal as well. I mean, we must be at the center, because everything in the universe revolves around US. It certainly appears to be so.

Right?

Hank

- Manifesto

Last edited by HSienzant; 7th December 2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:57 AM   #510
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
Oh, that's easy.

A spherical earth, with gravity and a non earth-centered universe complete with the big bang theory and all that entails, along with evolution and other scientific discoveries pretty much removes God from the equation entirely.

It's bad enough lightning rods diverted God's vengeance, a non-earth centered universe takes him out of the picture altogether.

The best way to put God back into the equation is with the earth being the center of the universe again, with the earth being special, and everything revolving around US. A flat earth does that nicely.

Of course, that flat earth model, along with the denial of evolution, also has the nice ancillary benefit of putting humans back at the top of all living creatures in the universe. That has a certain amount of appeal as well. I mean, we must be at the center, because everything in the universe revolves around US. It certainly appears to be so.

Right?

Hank
Which makes me wonder if the flat-earthers have an answer to this question:

If proving the earth was flat would validate certain religions, why haven't the religious governments of various countries refused to go along with the supposed global effort to suppress the truth and launched their own expeditions to the edge? I'm thinking of Iran and Saudi Arabia here specifically, but any country where a significant portion of the electorate would be delighted to have their fundamentalist views proven would do.

Like, say, America. Apparently 1 in 4 Americans believes the sun goes round the earth. That would be a guaranteed vote-winner.

Old 7th December 2017, 11:28 AM   #511
Disbelief
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Could someone work out what acceleration of 9.8 m/sec/sec for 6000 years would mean our current speed through space would be, according to this formula, and assuming a YEC take on the age of the planet.
I believe it's around 1.8 Trillion m/s, if someone hasn't answered already.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman

Last edited by Disbelief; 7th December 2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added units, would have been marked off for that.
Disbelief is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:36 PM   #512
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Thanks. That's rather rapid, and on its own that should be enough to put paid to the silly "there's no gravity........we're merely accelerating upwards" nonsense from the Flat Earth Society website.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:05 PM   #513
HSienzant
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
The speed of light is roughly .3 Trillion m/s (299,792,458 m/s) so we're now moving at six times the speed of light, apparently.

And going faster all the time.

Hank

- Manifesto
Old 7th December 2017, 01:19 PM   #514
Disbelief
Illuminator

The speed of light is roughly .3 Trillion m/s (299,792,458 m/s) so we're now moving at six times the speed of light, apparently.

And going faster all the time.

Hank
Too infinity and beyond!

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:20 PM   #515
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Oh, that's easy.

Right?

Hank
That is exactly what a Flat Earther posted on her own timeline in Facebook (yes, I snoop - in order to get a read on where they are coming from and whether they are just trolling for teh lulz). They don't like thinking they are merely a speck in God's creation.

Last edited by LSSBB; 7th December 2017 at 01:21 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:25 PM   #516
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

What it is that's supposed to be accelerating us? And how does one consolidate this with the supposed unmoving Earth at the centre of the universe? For a start that would mean that the entire universe is being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s2 which considering that just the part of it we can see has a mass of about 1.5 x 1053 kg we are talking about absolutely extraordinary amounts of energy being required to achieve this. Where is it all coming from?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th December 2017 at 01:34 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:31 PM   #517
Halcyon Dayz
Critical Thinker

Telling god how to do her thing sounds pretty heretical to me.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:31 PM   #518
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What it is that's supposed to be accelerating us? And how does one consolidate this with the supposed unmoving Earth at the centre of the universe? For a start that would mean that the entire universe is being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s2 which considering that just the part of it we can see has a mass of about 3 x 1052 kg we are talking about absolutely extraordinary amounts of energy being required to achieve this. Where is it all coming from?
Not only that, but how do you define "up" in space?

Oh, and if we're travelling at 6 times the speed of light, how come we can see colours? And if we're not in a vacuum, as Daniel seemed to be saying (never sure what he is actually trying to say, with all the contradictions), I'd suggest that travelling at that sort of speed would have meant things should be getting a little warm around here.

Last edited by MikeG; 7th December 2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:34 PM   #519
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

What it is that's supposed to be accelerating us? And how does one consolidate this with the supposed unmoving Earth at the centre of the universe? For a start that would mean that the entire universe is being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s2 which considering that just the part of it we can see has a mass of about 3 x 1052 kg we are talking about absolutely extraordinary amounts of energy being required to achieve this. Where is it all coming from?
What about "an all powerful God" don't you understand?

Also, Daniel indicated that he is not this flavor of flat earther. He believes the earth is stationary and flat. I really can't tell you what he thinks about gravity, other than his note that "science" can't even agree if gravity is Newtonian or Einsteinian.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 7th December 2017 at 01:36 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:25 PM   #520
erlando
Master Poster

What it is that's supposed to be accelerating us? And how does one consolidate this with the supposed unmoving Earth at the centre of the universe? For a start that would mean that the entire universe is being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s2 which considering that just the part of it we can see has a mass of about 1.5 x 1053 kg we are talking about absolutely extraordinary amounts of energy being required to achieve this. Where is it all coming from?
Do you really have to ask? The answer is of course "God".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories